2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

I listened to the podcast and that's not exactly what he said. Pauline said he spoke to a source who said Douglas doesn't like to enter into "big" contracts, and that as a Ozzie Newsome disciple, believes in building through the draft. Pauline actually said he agreed with the philosophy. And Pauline never said Watson would never go to the Jets. His partner in the podcast, Trey Wingo, said that--not because he had sources that said so, but because he was being a dick as usual (Wingo spent the first half of the show glorifiying Belichick and his awesomeness).

I just listened to it too and agree with you. I can understand some misinterpreting it because the "Ozzie" way is not to spend big and building through the draft. Those who wanted Douglas to spend 60-70 million dollars of the cap in the first 2 days of free agency are obviously let down. I understand the Watson assumption because when Pauline was asked if they weren't spending because of Watson, he said no. 

I think the panic that many Jets fans are currently experiencing is comical, just like these people who are concerned about a statement by Tony Pauline, someone who hasn't had a good inside scoop since Douglas got here. Just like Connor Hughes, Pauline is struggling or just simply lazy in getting his "insider" information. Hopefully, these people don't get desperate like Manish and start stalking staff member's children. Honestly, this school closing account is probably more accurate than some of these far-fetched pages with "sources" I see. ????? @ericgonzalaz 

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, undertow said:

There's zero excuse for the online to look they way it does right now people can try to explain it away all they want.

The only thing that will make me happy in this regard is if we draft at least two oline amongst our top 4 picks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, football guy said:

Again I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you; I think flexibility and moderation is the answer to everything. And trust me, I don't mean it as "Joe is smarter than you" because there are plenty of GMs who are dumb as dirt but have the platform and resources to execute their jobs. It's not that. What I'm saying is that critics typically want the flashy moves and are nearsighted. Ultimately this is a dangerous sport, and anything can happen. The risks of having future money tied up in a 3rd, 4th, 5th year of a deal look insignificant, but it's a compounding issue if this indulgence becomes a standard. $5 million is a lot of money even if we think it's just play money, and the ramifications from doing that are more than what we see on the surface. The other aspect of it is that when agents get word that you're money-foolish and beat you in the negotiation, especially by numbers in the $2+ million APY range and with additional years, you're screwed for the foreseeable future. No significant agent will sign with you at your number because they'll have it in the back of their mind that they can get a few more millions out of you (for them that's a significant amount of change), and then they'll go elsewhere out of spite. 

I think that Douglas will spend big on big-time players, and I do think that as the Jets become closer to being a contender he'll be more willing to make those once-in-a-blue-moon exception, especially if it's a player that he feels will put the team over the top. But right now? I don't think so. 

As for your final point, here is Joe's vision in a nutshell (we're going to use Jabari Zuniga/Carl Lawson as a simplified example):  

• Draft a players at positions of need (Jabari Zuniga) and try to develop them into good ones
  • If said player doesn't necessarily blossom right away, spend on a FA to fill the void the following year (Carl Lawson)
  • Draft more good players at positions of future need a year too early rather than a year too late (insert 2021 draft pick)
  • Continue to develop former draft picks in attempt to get them to realize their potential (Jabari Zuniga)
  • Sign the cornerstones to long-term extensions (let's pretend Carl Lawson), let the solid players walk once their market exceeds what you're willing to spend even if they ended up developing into good players (Jabari Zuniga)
  • Start the players you drafted to replace said player that walks for a FA contract (insert 2021 draft pick) 
  • Collect compensatory picks for the players that left and start the cycle all over again. 

Rinse, lather, repeat. But every now and then, he'll make the big splash or trade for the veteran with one year left on his deal if it means pushing the team into contender status. 

And again, I love this approach and fully support it.

This is related to what I do professionally so I understand all of the short and long term impacts of how this plays out.  

My only cause for concern is that it can cause the team to not deploy a substantial portion of its available cap this year.  Now we can push it out to future years to a point, but then you may just be creating the same dilemmas you are trying to avoid this year.  I'm genuinely curious as to how you see that playing out.  Are you confident Douglas will use the cap eventually, even if it takes until summer?  Or do you see a scenario where it just doesn't get used and if so, is that still better than overspending it one one or two players.  I'm uneasy about that playing out but I'm open to being convinced.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The only thing that will make me happy in this regard is if we draft at least two oline amongst our top 4 picks. 

Agreed...it would have made alot more sense to sign a Zietler or Hudson and draft a guy but whatever I'm not expecting much from this season and now I'm rooting to just sit Wilson a year so he doesn't get murdered. 

57 minutes ago, football guy said:

See while I empathize with you, I'm in camp F the critics. You can't let fans or media dictate how you build the team. Yes, the fan consensus has been right about some things that the Jets have been wrong on (hard not to be this past decade), but for every time they complained about something and were proven "right", they celebrated moves that blew up in our face. 

I remember the Connor Rogers, Joe Caporoso, and Nick Spano's of the world who are just #JetsTwitter fanboys masquerading as analysts freaked out of joy saying we "stole" Le'Veon Bell. I remember how they applauded Macc for not taking "no" for an answer on CJ Mosley, continuing to bid against himself to the tune of $2.5 million APY more than the nearest bidder offered. I remember when they cried for the Jets to go WR in round 1 last year, cried about how the Jets made a huge mistake by drafting Quinnen Williams over Josh Allen (DE) and Ed Oliver basically touted their stances by saying "I told you the Jets should've listened to me." How do they look now? What if we did trade that 2nd round pick for Ngakoue like the fans wanted? What if we signed Clowney? All would've been horrible moves. 

It's easy to point out the times the critics are right, but no one points out when they were wrong. The fans suffer no real consequences for having wrong takes... that's the beauty of being a fan. I saw Joe C's tweet today about how "#JetsTwitter would've gotten the team to the playoffs". Horsesh*t. The fans would've signed Todd Monken and we would be where we are now except with a flashier offense and a busted payroll. But guess what? He ultimately has nothing to lose, and when he/fans are wrong, they just eat their foot and move on.

I realize that I have nothing to lose and Joe has everything to lose. He's the big man in the big chair, thus he should block out the noise and build the team the way he sees fit. Ultimately, I get to analyze, criticize, and try to make sense of the moves he does/doesn't make. That's what I signed up for. But no, I'm not going to be on the side of suggesting the man should abandon his way for the sake of a short-term gain. 

Throughout the history of the game, building through the draft has been how to win. It's what we all wanted for over a decade. Now we finally have a guy whose process oriented and dedicated to a rebuild and we complain. Maybe it's because I'm more of a Process > Results guy, but I think abandoning your principles for the sake of a short-term gain is worse than potentially missing out on a good player because you were disciplined in your process. Everyone has their own way but that's just how I see it. 

With all that said, here's to hoping the Jets add some serious talent tomorrow!

giphy.gif

Blah blah blah.... indeed..)

22 minutes ago, football guy said:

Again I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you; I think flexibility and moderation is the answer to everything. And trust me, I don't mean it as "Joe is smarter than you" because there are plenty of GMs who are dumb as dirt but have the platform and resources to execute their jobs. It's not that. What I'm saying is that critics typically want the flashy moves and are nearsighted. Ultimately this is a dangerous sport, and anything can happen. The risks of having future money tied up in a 3rd, 4th, 5th year of a deal look insignificant, but it's a compounding issue if this indulgence becomes a standard. $5 million is a lot of money even if we think it's just play money, and the ramifications from doing that are more than what we see on the surface. The other aspect of it is that when agents get word that you're money-foolish and beat you in the negotiation, especially by numbers in the $2+ million APY range and with additional years, you're screwed for the foreseeable future. No significant agent will sign with you at your number because they'll have it in the back of their mind that they can get a few more millions out of you (for them that's a significant amount of change), and then they'll go elsewhere out of spite if you don't cave to their demands.

I think that Douglas will spend big on big-time players, and I do think that as the Jets become closer to being a contender he'll be more willing to make those once-in-a-blue-moon exceptions, especially if it's a player that he feels will put the team over the top. But right now? I don't think so. 

As for your final point, here is Joe's vision in a nutshell (we're going to use Jabari Zuniga/Carl Lawson as a simplified example):  

• Draft a players at positions of need (Jabari Zuniga) and try to develop them into good ones
  • If said player doesn't necessarily blossom right away, spend on a FA to fill the void the following year (Carl Lawson)
  • Draft more good players at positions of future need a year too early rather than a year too late (insert 2021 draft pick)
  • Continue to develop former draft picks in attempt to get them to realize their potential (Jabari Zuniga)
  • Sign the cornerstones to long-term extensions (let's pretend Carl Lawson), let the solid players walk once their market exceeds what you're willing to spend even if they ended up developing into good players (Jabari Zuniga)
  • Start the players you drafted to replace said player that walks for a FA contract (insert 2021 draft pick) 
  • Collect compensatory picks for the players that left and start the cycle all over again. 

Rinse, lather, repeat. But every now and then, he'll make the big splash or trade for the veteran with one year left on his deal if it means pushing the team into contender status or to compensate for a missed draft pick. Buf if you continue to draft players at key positions every year, develop them, and ensure that they can step in when you're ready to move on from the guy ahead of him, then you'll never be in such a state of desperation. This is how the Ravens have been good for so many years; they've made pipelines at key positions (OL, DL, LB, CB)

Friendly reminder that the last 2 of the last 3 GMs (Idzik was actually smart in FA, he just historically sucked at drafting) before Douglas had us spending the 2nd most money in FA to the tune of zero playoff appearances. 
9C5AC6CB-BC28-415C-B38B-A854570131E7.thumb.jpeg.6c29b86e373349d8eba15bc94974ad17.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

... however, when you have that much space, desperately need help at a specific position, you outbid everyone. Period. End of discussion. 

And this is another example as to why NY Jets fans on NY Jets fan sites are not sitting in the GM chair....

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I see the Douglas homer parade is still rolling forward for some.

Hahaha, man I love you gata... I like the path we are finally on.  We’re taking it and winning it very soon.  But number 2.. you’re up.  Zach Wilson 

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

And this is another example as to why NY Jets fans on NY Jets fan sites are not sitting in the GM chair....

Apparently not being super upset that Douglas didn’t give you a flashy enough player to buy a jersey to wear to Vinny Gambianolli’s poker night on Staten Island makes you a “Douglas homer”.

That’s okay.  Those Maccagnan worshippers will always have their CJ Mosley, Le’Veon Bell, and Trumaine Johnson jersey’s to cover in beer and sauce from Vinny’s moms world famous Chicken Parma-John.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, football guy said:

Rinse, lather, repeat. But every now and then, he'll make the big splash or trade for the veteran with one year left on his deal if it means pushing the team into contender status or to compensate for a missed draft pick. Buf if you continue to draft players at key positions every year, develop them, and ensure that they can step in when you're ready to move on from the guy ahead of him, then you'll never be in such a state of desperation. This is how the Ravens have been good for so many years; they've made pipelines at key positions (OL, DL, LB, CB)

Huh, I said something similar a few threads ago and got lambasted for it....

I need more football cred like you and Mogglez.  I need an insider....

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I don't care who doesn't like him this team needs some attitude and identity especially on the offense. 

The NY Jets are a boring bad team. 

Sign Ju-Ju  add an offensive playmaker to the offense and help any QB succeed here. 

giphy.gif

It's always a joy to see a player rush over to his teammates to celebrate a big play.  Or they to him.

28 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Friendly reminder that the last 2 of the last 3 GMs (Idzik was actually smart in FA, he just historically sucked at drafting) before Douglas had us spending the 2nd most money in FA to the tune of zero playoff appearances. 
9C5AC6CB-BC28-415C-B38B-A854570131E7.thumb.jpeg.6c29b86e373349d8eba15bc94974ad17.jpeg

The scouts sucked too.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Throughout the history of the game, building through the draft has been how to win. It's what we all wanted for over a decade. Now we finally have a guy whose process oriented and dedicated to a rebuild and we complain. Maybe it's because I'm more of a Process > Results guy, but I think abandoning your principles for the sake of a short-term gain is worse than potentially missing out on a good player because you were disciplined in your process. Everyone has their own way but that's just how I see it. 

Maccagnan loaded up his first year and Jets fans rejoiced.  A team that was crappy the previous year rallied to a 10-6 record and barely missed the playoffs.  He was named NFL Executive of the Year.

Now, if he's ever out and about in the Tri-State area, he needs to have his collar up and hat low.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NYJets8 said:

The scouts sucked too.

Most important contributing factor, and only lends to my point.  This team doesn’t need to build with their CAP space like the predecessors tried to do, they need to build through the draft.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, football guy said:

And as it pertains to Idzik, what got him fired wasn't the fact that his drafts turned out to be crap (although that played a huge role into it, but couldn't have been the determining factor because you really don't know how good/bad a class will be until 2-3 years after it), it was because he was willing to sabotage the team for the sake of replacing Rex. His goal was to hire Darrell Bevell assuming Rex face planted, and when he didn't/Idzik was forced to retain him, everything spun out of control. The already poor relationship soured, and the atmosphere in the building became toxic. When those rumors became reality, Idzik wasn't going to get a chance to hire his own coach; Woody felt slighted and Idzik was gone. 

110%.  I remember all of that vividly.  Dude was a snake who left the owner feeling like he was on eggshells in his own building.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, football guy said:

To add to this, I also think there exists a scenario where Wilson can become a star QB elsewhere and the Jets come away a competitive team for the next decade-plus for the sole reason that they built around the QB by adding several elite players and elite draft compensation spanning over several years, kickstarting an organizational emphasis to built cheap talent pipelines, team-oriented culture, and competitiveness in order to ensure that "the next man up" is truly capable of being the next man up.

It's never just the QB unless that guy's name is Peyton Manning. It takes a lot more to build a team that wins year-in and year-out, and I think Joe believes that unless Zach Wilson is Peyton Manning-esq, he will likely be able to build a better roster by trading #2 and sticking with Darnold than drafting Wilson and trading Darnold. And I adore Wilson. But I can see how the Jets trading #2 with a talent evaluator like Douglas can set the team up for true long-term success like the Ravens have. If Douglas gets a 1st round pick for Darnold that changes everything... you can get an extremely talented under contract for 5 years while still having 3 other top 34 picks. Otherwise, I remain steadfast in what I was told months ago: Douglas wants to build the team around Darnold, and if the coaches are on board, that's what he'll do. I know the coaches are on board so, let's see if Joe changes his mind. 

I just cannot get behind that strategy if you think Wilson is an elite QB. Pretty much every team that gets to a SB has an elite QB. It is our best chance to get one.

• Upvote 1

I'm confident that Joe will use the cap this year. He's going to add a lot of players even though it hasn't happened yet. They signed Corey Davis to front-loaded contract (cap hit: $12.667m) and used a guaranteed roster bonus instead of a signing bonus to avoid proration. They likely did the same for Lawson, which should place them around $35 million under the cap once his contract is finalized. They have $15 million set aside for their rookie class (which is a little deceiving; in actuality it's like $10 million). 

So let's say you account for those things and they're sitting at $25 million. I'm going to bet they acquire another 6-8 players via FA/trade (most on 1-year deals). I think they re-sign a few of their own as well. I think they consider restructuring/front-loading some contracts. Before you know it, they've met - and surpassed - their cap minimums for the year without sacrificing future cap, allowing them to maintain flexibility for the foreseeable future when it comes time to pay out the mega-extensions. Remember, the Jets currently have 62 players on their roster, they'll draft around 10 players and they'll sign around 8 UDFA. That leaves room for 10 more players assuming no cuts (which I expect to come). 

For some of these reasons, I'm looking out for the one guy who gets $8-10 million on a 1-year deal. I've always been led to believe it would be Derek Barnett via trade or if he were cut. It could also be a guy like Keanu Neal, KJ Wright, Adoree Jackson, Will Fuller, or JuJu Smith-Schuster (although I think this would spur a Jamison Crowder which would make it a net-gain). Ultimately I think they will absolutely surpass the cap minimum with ease, and are well on their way of surpassing the cash minimum given the heavy guarantee and contract structure of their first few FA signings + Marcus Maye's franchise tag.

God I love cocaine.

• Haha 1

Another perfect example and a testament of how fluid these things are. Douglas didn't know for sure whether he was going to trade Adams, but he did know that one of he or Maye would be gone by 2021 - if not both. Drafting Ashtyn Davis gave the team an opportunity to start developing the eventual replacement in Maye and/or Adams. Now he has a few options:

1. Keep Maye on the tag, let him walk in 2022, make Davis the full-time FS and collect a 2023 comp pick; or 
  2. Sign Maye long-term and let Davis be a hybrid S/role player.

Either way, if Davis becomes a good player by the time he's due to be an UFA (2024), Maye will be 31 and my guess is he'd either be gone or they'll have him under contract at a reasonable rate. In the alternative, if Maye is still playing at an elite level and is showing no signs of decline, the Jets could let Davis walk and collect a comp pick for him in 2025, and draft Maye's eventual replacement at some point prior to his inevitable decline. Multiple scenarios, but all are derived from the pipeline concept

This pipeline concept is foreign to us please tell us more!!

Seriously this is the first gm that I can remember, who was before tanny? Any way first that seems to have a good plan to build a roster and actually cares about play makers and getting more picks. 

I love Joe D 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, football guy said:

giphy.gif

I loved the whole post.  Especially this part.  Let's build the team inside out.  We can go for broke when we are a 500 team and the missing pieces have made themselves clear.  Until then it is BAP, BAP, BAP.   

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I hear all the rationalizations and much of it makes sense, however, when you have that much space, desperately need help at a specific position, you outbid everyone. Period. End of discussion. Now you HAVE to spend a high pick on oline. And don't give me that crap about being able to find a guard in the third round (still waiting for cam Clarke to take a snap). We can't take that risk, especially if we're bringing on a rookie qb. Not getting thuney at all costs significantly alters your draft plans and pigeon holes you into drafting need high. Possibly need to take 2x lineman with an eye to replace fant next year. This affects other positions we can address in the draft so some position group (either pass rushers, CB or pass catchers) will once again be lacking. These holes will never be plugged 100% by the draft. JD will be on the unemployment  line long before they are. I supported JD last year when he didn't spend due to cap uncertainty, talented guys being franchised and us generally still being years away. This doesn't make any sense to me. Spend goddamnit JD

As I wrote another poster earlier:

I would point out that last year's draft had six guards that carried starting grades.  One had a 2d round grade and the others carried 3d round grades.  All were projected starters.  By the end of the year, ALL of them were starting for their teams.  One of them went in the 3d round, Damien Lewis - Seahawks.  Three in the fourth: John Sampson - Raiders; Charles Saahdig - WTF; and Ben Bradenson - Ravens.  One in the fifth, Shane Lemeiux - Giants and one in the sixth, Michael Onwenu - Patriots (who played him at RT).   

Two others also started, 4th rounder Soloman Kindley - Fins and 2d rounder Robert Hunt - Fins (who played him at RT).

The story for the center position is similar.  This is true every year. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/draft.htm

Starting interior lineman can not only be found later, but they also fall past their draft grade if they lack inside out versatility in the league.  Our 4th round pick last season Cameron Clark is converting from tackle and had a redshirt season.  He may be the answer, we just do not know.  Interior lineman can found.  But there is no doubt that we must focus on that spot this year.  I do not want other team's leftovers.  Nor do I want to draft guys early unless they are a Gold Jacket tackle like Penei Sewell.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1