2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Totally get and agree with the long term strategy. 

But at what point does $50M in cap room become a non-optimal strategy to enter the season with?  My point is simply that without sacrificing any draft picks, we could convert some of that cap into a quality player (or a sound risk at landing one).  We don't necessarily need to tie up too many years, but is it really breaking the plan to overpay a guy like Golladay an extra $5M of signing bonus to land him on a 4-year deal that the Giants can't match?  

I'm not putting my wisdom above JD's.  I'm just wondering if he is so married to not exceeding his prices that he's willing to simply underspend on principal but to the detriment of acquiring the talent this team needs to progress.  If the draft is his be all and end all, then there are sometimes ways to convert cap into more picks and this year there should be some teams that could use that kind of help.

But one more point.  Having lots and lots of picks is great now and for the next 3 years.  But there's a price to pay down the road if you draft too well all at once.  All those guys will be hitting their second contracts around the same time.  A good problem to have, and not anything I would be worried about yet, but something to keep in mind.

On your point about using our cap money this year.  I would love to see us extend Maye and Quenten Williams so we do not have to tag them, lose them or bid against the whole league to keep them.  I have seen enough from both players.  It's what the good teams do.  I remember Victor Green and feeling ashamed. 

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The guys we have got so far I am fairly happy with but we simply need more players, at least reasonable starters.  The draft is big but we need more NFL players via FA.

I think we need to add some free agents to the defensive front seven so we can switch to the 4-3.  But they do not need expensive three year deals and that is what they cost at the moment.  We should bide our time and feed when the time is right.  I want to do this so our draft can be used to augment the offense.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The only thing that will make me happy in this regard is if we draft at least two oline amongst our top 4 picks. 

I am less concerned where they were drafted and more wedded to what they were rated when we took them.  The team is set up to take some guard only players.  I would add two of them.  One with a 3d round pick and another where the bargain presents itself.  I would not be hesitant to take a third guard if one falls to the late rounds like Onwenu did last year.  I understood the Clark pick last year.  He has inside out versatility in the NFL, a quality person and a friend of Becton.  I also understood the need to redshirt him because he was playing a new position.  The early guard only types are plug and play starters.   Places like Michigan (Bradenson and Onwenu) and LSU (Lewis and Charles) turn them out on a regular basis.

Let's not be hasty.  Stick to the board and recognize that good drafting follows the pre-draft grades.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, football guy said:

And as it pertains to Idzik, what got him fired wasn't the fact that his drafts turned out to be crap (although that played a huge role into it, but couldn't have been the determining factor because you really don't know how good/bad a class will be until 2-3 years after it), it was because he was willing to sabotage the team for the sake of replacing Rex. His goal was to hire Darrell Bevell assuming Rex face planted, and when he didn't/Idzik was forced to retain him, everything spun out of control. The already poor relationship soured, and the atmosphere in the building became toxic. When those rumors became reality, Idzik wasn't going to get a chance to hire his own coach; Woody felt slighted and Idzik was gone. 

Yeah and that press conference lol

4 hours ago, football guy said:

And as it pertains to Idzik, what got him fired wasn't the fact that his drafts turned out to be crap (although that played a huge role into it, but couldn't have been the determining factor because you really don't know how good/bad a class will be until 2-3 years after it), it was because he was willing to sabotage the team for the sake of replacing Rex. His goal was to hire Darrell Bevell assuming Rex face planted, and when he didn't/Idzik was forced to retain him, everything spun out of control. The already poor relationship soured, and the atmosphere in the building became toxic. When those rumors became reality, Idzik wasn't going to get a chance to hire his own coach; Woody felt slighted and Idzik was gone. 

I knew it! I knew it!

7 hours ago, extmenace said:

What do joe burrow and Zach Wilson have in common? Give up? They weren’t considered anything close to top picks before the starts of their last college seasons. Every year a qb or two come out of nowhere. Do I know who the top qb prospects will be next year? No, I sure don’t, but what I do know is that every year there are qb’s that multiple teams, websites, and talking heads hype up as the next group of franchise qb’s. Every year we see at least 3-4-5 qb’s taken in the first round. From what I’ve seen, especially recently, is that the difference between a bust and hit is the team that surrounds that rookie qb. Does anyone honestly think that if josh allen had been drafted to the Jets, we would all be thinking we’d be set at qb heading into this draft? There will be more opportunities next year, why throw another highly drafted prospect into the fire when we have the chance to build and bring the next guy into a situation where they have an actual chance to succeed. 

Why do you insist on delaying the objective. It is imperative we find a franchise QB. We currently have the #2 overall pick. It makes perfect sense to draft a QB. We’ve been looking for a QB for decades. The time is now. Either trade for Watson or draft Wilson. It’s seriously that simple. 

There’s only one reason to spend a lot of money this year on high priced finds.  And that’s because we might be getting long term value for when the cap explodes.  That’s why the Pats and KC are spending big this year.  They’re basically getting their spending out of the way for their three year/long term plans.

However the players also know this, so they’re mostly asking for short three year deals banking on the fact that they’ll get big paydays in the future.

So the argument to not spend in FA bc we aren’t close to being a playoff team while 100% true is somewhat weakened by the cap situation.  Instead it really comes down to whether you can find good players willing to take long deals, even for situations that would in previous years look to be overpays.

Of course if that’s not available, then taking lots of short term high risk/reward BPA contracts like last year will remain the way to go.  We simply aren’t going to be able to fill all the holes in this ship (or even come close).

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Why do you insist on delaying the objective. It is imperative we find a franchise QB. We currently have the #2 overall pick. It makes perfect sense to draft a QB. We’ve been looking for a QB for decades. The time is now. Either trade for Watson or draft Wilson. It’s seriously that simple. 

Douglas may not do it. Remember, he came from an organization that won with  Dilfer  and Flacco, and traded back to acquire Jackson.  Don’t be surprised if he trades back and improves the team that way.  If he takes Wilson, it’s because he’s cocksure about the value 

• Upvote 1

Trade for Watson is unthinkably childish behavior and irresponsible. Even drafting Wilson with the state this team is in doesn't make perfect sense .. though I like the idea. We need to flexi seal this roster first.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

Jets free agency 2021 LIVE UPDATES Day 4: 49ers’ Richard Sherman reuniting with Robert Saleh? Who are Joe Douglas’ top targets? Latest rumors

Updated 6:45 AM; Today 6:45 AM 

Will the Jets sign Richard Sherman? 

Day 3 of 2021 NFL free agency is in the books.

The negotiating window opened at noon Monday, and as usual, plenty of deals were finalized. Even more deals happened Tuesday, on Day 2 — and also on Wednesday, when the official signing period began (though that’s just a formality).

So what now?

Keep it right here Thursday for all the Day 4 free agency news, rumors, and live updates related to the Jets, as general manager Joe Douglas tries to improve his roster.

Let’s catch you up on what has happened so far, and look ahead ...

WHO HAVE JETS SIGNED OR RE-SIGNED?

• Lions ILB Jarrad Davis

• Bengals edge rusher Carl Lawson

• Titans WR Corey Davis

• Saints CB Justin Hardee (special teams player)

• RB Josh Adams (re-signed)

• WR Vyncint Smith (re-signed)

WHO HAVE JETS LOST?

• OG Pat Elflein (Panthers)

INTRIGUING TARGETS LEFT FOR JETS

• Steelers WR JuJu Smith-Schuster

• Rams slot CB Troy Hill

• 49ers CB Richard Sherman

• 49ers slot CB K’Waun Williams

• Chargers CB Casey Hayward

• Packers CB Kevin King

• Chiefs RT Mitchell Schwartz

• Broncos CB A.J. Bouye

• Patriots C David Andrews

• Colts WR T.Y. Hilton

(New Jets coach Robert Saleh was previously the 49ers’ defensive coordinator, so he is familiar with Sherman and Williams.)

Buy Quinnen Williams Jets gear: Fanatics, NFL Shop, Lids

WHERE DID POTENTIAL JETS TARGETS LAND?

• Buccaneers edge rusher Shaq Barrett — re-signed

• Packers C Corey Linsley — Chargers

• Saints edge rusher Trey Hendrickson — Bengals

• Patriots OG Joe Thuney — Chiefs

• Ravens edge rusher Matthew Judon — Patriots

• Steelers edge rusher Bud Dupree — Titans

• Ravens edge rusher Yannick Ngakoue — Raiders

• Rams edge rusher Leonard Floyd — re-signed

• Titans TE Jonnu Smith — Patriots

• Chargers CB Michael Davis — re-signed

• Chargers TE Hunter Henry — Patriots

• Seahawks CB Shaquill Griffin — Jaguars

• Cardinals edge rusher Haason Reddick — Panthers

• Bengals CB William Jackson III — Washington

• Panthers WR Curtis Samuel — Washington

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, extmenace said:

What do joe burrow and Zach Wilson have in common? Give up? They weren’t considered anything close to top picks before the starts of their last college seasons. Every year a qb or two come out of nowhere. Do I know who the top qb prospects will be next year? No, I sure don’t, but what I do know is that every year there are qb’s that multiple teams, websites, and talking heads hype up as the next group of franchise qb’s. Every year we see at least 3-4-5 qb’s taken in the first round. From what I’ve seen, especially recently, is that the difference between a bust and hit is the team that surrounds that rookie qb. Does anyone honestly think that if josh allen had been drafted to the Jets, we would all be thinking we’d be set at qb heading into this draft? There will be more opportunities next year, why throw another highly drafted prospect into the fire when we have the chance to build and bring the next guy into a situation where they have an actual chance to succeed. 

Well, the hope here is JD would actually use all of this cap money and draft picks to build a strong offense around his soon to be drafted QB.r

The opportunity was certainly there - he simply hasn't stepped up and done that.  He still can though.

He needed to upgrade both guards, add 1 or 2 receivers and pick up a solid RB.  So far he's picked up a a quality WR.

There are receivers still available to land in FA (I think he'll grab one) - and he can address the OL early in the draft pick up two OL in the first two rounds and then grab a RB in third.

Now, I think it's unlikely he makes the smart choice and builds around his young QB as a priority - but he can do it if he chooses to.