2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

If the Jets picked Lewis, Cushenberry or Biadasz and/or Onwenu, it’s much better.  These guys all went to big schools with lots of tape.  Two played next to each other.  JD inherited a mess but he has fallen behind.  

FA misses?  Maybe Conklin.  Kalil as a signing.  Would not say Robbie anymore with a WCO, but maybe. 

Kalil reeks of Adam Gase signing.  Robbie has been by far JDs biggest blunder so far

Just now, long time suffering Jets f said:

So the cap strapped Giants are making more moves than the Jets. That’ll go well with the NY radio talk shows.

They overpaid Leo like crazy, signed Brandon Copeland who is a JAG and now they want to sign Golladay with his bum hip to a5 year deal

I understand good teams are built in free agency and not the draft but this is 2 years in a row the Jets are going to be way under the salary cap. We are a New York team in a multi-billion dollar industry. We should be spending some money. Douglas needs to get off his hands and improve this team.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

I gotta say I agree with your take. But I think we all need to look no further than teams like Buffalo, KC, Baltimore, etc that have built their way up through the draft, used free agency judiciously, and make big moves when they are some of the final pieces (like Buffalo trading for Diggs).

Again, you're 100% correct about the 'right way to do things,' but also, we're ******* terrible, and next year, we're going to be ******* terrible again.  And, speaking just for myself, I've been cooped up in an apartment and then a house for the past year with two young kids, and the Sam Darnold led ******* terrible Jets isn't enough for me to waste half a weekend day inside in the fall.  So, while I know it's wrong as far as building a team, short term interests are certainly playing a role for me, and I'd have to imagine, many others.

• Upvote 2

Just now, TeddEY said:

Again, you're 100% correct about the 'right way to do things,' but also, we're ******* terrible, and next year, we're going to be ******* terrible again.  And, speaking just for myself, I've been cooped up in an apartment and then a house for the past year with two young kids, and the Sam Darnold led ******* terrible Jets isn't enough for me to waste half a weekend day inside in the fall.  So, while I know it's wrong as far as building a team, short term interests are certainly playing a role for me, and I'd have to imagine, many others.

True, which is why I have an impatient-I need me some happy stimulus in my veins by wanting us to trade Sam and draft Wilson.

But when I think it through...the potential return we may be able to get for trading back from #2 really might set this team up for a decade.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, football guy said:

I don't think so. Firstly, I do think that the offensive line will improve with better coaching/new scheme. Second, there were really only 2 OL worth going after in FA. They made an offer on Thuney, but Kansas City blew everyone out of the water. I really think they may use him at LT.

The second was Linsley. A person from the team told me there was interest weeks ago. His name was included on their priority board and he was a topic of discussion in a lot of meetings. I don't buy that they simply didn't want him. I figured that he would be around $12.5 million APY. I know the most they're willing to go on guys is 4 years, and I know that Douglas will never put guaranteed money in the 3rd year. I projected him at 4-years, $50 million. I didn't know what the Jets price on him was (apparently around $10m APY), but I figured that for an elite OL they would match the APY. Ultimately they did not. Either way, he wasn't going to be in the cards because there was no way in hell Douglas was paying a 30 year old - who plays in a position group Douglas made a living on at a position that is the most replaceable on the OL - a 5-year deal with that amount of guaranteed money in it.

Did the fan in me want him? Of course. But I can empathize that Joe has principles that he won't break, and making a 30-year old the top paid C in the league on a 5-year contract was a deal-breaker even if the Jets were in the neighborhood. 

Now, Joe is going to look to continue building the OL the way he knows best: through the draft. He may sign an cheap guy who winds up surprisingly winning a starting job, but more likely he'll add 1 or 2 more in the draft and make everyone compete as he looks to continue fostering a pipeline. It won't be perfect and won't be a quick fix, but I don't buy that the Jets can't still significantly upgrade the OL considering the amount of draft picks they have and the amount of talent in this class. The scheme will help mask deficiencies much more than Gase's offense did, and if Darnold is the QB, this will be especially the case considering how many PA roll-outs they will implement (probably the most of any team in the league). 

All I’m gonna say is this - the team still needs to make an effort to be competitive and that also means not “relying” on rookies. Building through the draft is indeed the right way to pave your road to success. Flexibility is everything though. Joe preaches the latter but seems at times to flirt with being stubborn. As is with all bosses the staff need to believe you have their best interests in mind. Best interests include giving them a punchers chance on Sunday. 

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

This is true, but also, I completely get it.

Drafting Sam Darnold was the last time we had anything to get excited about as a fanbase, and that went about as well as the Hindenberg.  Other than that, our last playoff appearance was 10 years ago.  We were just 2-14.

I honestly can't blame anyone for wanting something... Anything... To be excited about at this point.  Honestly, with the likelihood of us starting the league's worst QB for a 4th consecutive year, and no other big talent influx, what exactly, besides years of misguided loyalty/Stockholm Syndrome, makes anyone want to invest 4 hours, post-pandemic, on a Fall Sunday, in this team?

100% agreed. May drive me to finally take the golf up on Sundays. Can I count you in?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, football guy said:

In all fairness, I think the majority of frequent posters on here understand this. The contention seems to be more about wanting Joe to be a little more flexible in his approach. I can understand that, but I can also understand why he isn't. 

The good news is that the Jets are far from done. They're going to add another EDGE (if not 2), a DL, another LB, 1-2 CBs, a S, a RB, OL, and possibly a TE and another WR. I'm also very confident they're going to be involved in the trade market. 

What appears to be the case for some teams, such as the Eagles, is that they've found a way to just get under the cap and are waiting to get fair offers before trading guys to create more room. The issue they're going to run into is there comes a point where they have to sign people and inevitably will have to shed salary in order to accommodate for the draft class. Teams know that Howie's between a rock and a hard place, so what's the point of meeting their demands on players they have available (see Ertz)? Eventually, Ertz will be moved/cut and something will happen with Barnett (whether it be extended, restructured, or traded). 

The Rams are another team to watch for, as I have very good reason to believe they'll be trading a few guys. Kenny Young is the guy whose been linked to the Jets. 

Ray of hope^^

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Jets fans 2011-present: “Why can’t we build through the draft like the good teams?!”

Joe Douglas prudent in free agency and amassing draft picks.

”Why isn’t Joe Douglas signing everyone?!”

Very True ? 

26 minutes ago, football guy said:

In all fairness, I think the majority of frequent posters on here understand this. The contention seems to be more about wanting Joe to be a little more flexible in his approach. I can understand that, but I can also understand why he isn't. 

The good news is that the Jets are far from done. They're going to add another EDGE (if not 2), a DL, another LB, 1-2 CBs, a S, a RB, OL, and possibly a TE and another WR. I'm also very confident they're going to be involved in the trade market. 

What appears to be the case for some teams, such as the Eagles, is that they've found a way to just get under the cap and are waiting to get fair offers before trading guys to create more room. The issue they're going to run into is there comes a point where they have to sign people and inevitably will have to shed salary in order to accommodate for the draft class. Teams know that Howie's between a rock and a hard place, so what's the point of meeting their demands on players they have available (see Ertz)? Eventually, Ertz will be moved/cut and something will happen with Barnett (whether it be extended, restructured, or traded). 

The Rams are another team to watch for, as I have very good reason to believe they'll be trading a few guys. Kenny Young is the guy whose been linked to the Jets. 

I get it, I do. I think my impatient-I want it now mentality this offseason is more Sam vs. Zach. Get rid of Sam he sucks! Get the new Rogers/Mahomes now !!

But as you have posted much about makes so much sense. The return...the return for a trade down, especially in a good QB class could be massive, maybe even historically given the aggressive nature of an owner like Tapper. We could be set a decade with this one move.

Also, maybe Watson or someone else becomes available in 2022. The GM’s know what’s going to happen before the media/fans catch wind, so who knows.

Either way being in QB hell is a disaster, but I understand the temptation to trade down and keep Sam.

I just think Zach is too good to pass up. But I also work in healthcare, not in the league so what do I know?

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I get it, I do. I think my impatient-I want it now mentality this offseason is more Sam vs. Zach. Get rid of Sam he sucks! Get the new Rogers/Mahomes now !!

But as you have posted much about makes so much sense. The return...the return for a trade down, especially in a good QB class could be massive, maybe even historically given the aggressive nature of an owner like Tapper. We could be set a decade with this one move.

Also, maybe Watson or someone else becomes available in 2022. The GM’s know what’s going to happen before the media/fans catch wind, so who knows.

Either way being in QB hell is a disaster, but I understand the temptation to trade down and keep Sam.

I just think Zach is too good to pass up. But I also work in healthcare, not in the league so what do I know?

I think for many of us hardcore jet fans, the longer douglas holds onto darnold, the more likely we think it is that they roll him back out as the starter and we trade out of 2.  And most of us hate that scenario.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think for many of us hardcore jet fans, the longer douglas holds onto darnold, the more likely we think it is that they roll him back out as the starter and we trade out of 2.  And most of us hate that scenario.

I vasilate so much on this issue.  One day I'm sure he is traded and Wilson will be the pick, the next day I feel they keep Darnold and trade out of 2.  JD is a methodical worker (I mean this is in a complimentary way), I think he may be waiting till Wilson's Pro Day on 3/26 to confirm his belief in Wilson before dealing Darnold. Regardless of what Cimini says a market for Darnold will still exist at that point.

• Upvote 1

Lindsay would be a nice mix of practical signing and fun for the sign everyone crowd.

To be fair I felt the same way about Samuel. But I think vet RB’s are one of the few things undervalued in FA and maybe that’s enough for Douglas.

Will Lindsay be 26 next season like the other signings?

• Upvote 1

Just now, derp said:

Lindsay would be a nice mix of practical signing and fun for the sign everyone crowd.

To be fair I felt the same way about Samuel. But I think vet RB’s are one of the few things undervalued in FA and maybe that’s enough for Douglas.

Will Lindsay be 26 next season?

He'll be 27 in July.