2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

44 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

i dunno why you think that since WR is no longer close to our biggest need right now.

1. QB
  2. OL
  3. CB
  4. RB
  5. TE

I realize that this is unpopular with the Zach Wilson tribe or those who think we are contenders but I see things differently.  We are not one player away and loading up the cap with long term deals is not the way to go.

Sam Darnold may or may not be the answer.  But he is paid for and ours for two more years once we pick up his option - which we will imo.  If I thought a QB would make us contenders, I would be open to other choices.  But I do not.  Nor do I blame Darnold alone.  Our wideouts did not get the job done and - as you have noticed - we are cleaning house.  I also blame the offensive line which was simply noncompetitive at times.  Speaking of which . . .

At OL, I would take Penei Sewell and consider myself lucky that I am not picking 3rd.  I will also trade back IF I AM OFFERED VALUE!  If not, Sewell makes me very happy.  The 3rd through 12th picks are pretty much the same imo.  As for the interior OL, I would take one in the 3d if justified and be a bargain hunter later.  "Guard only" and "Center only" players with starting grades can be had every year in the 3d-5th round. I am looking to take two but not early unless it is the BAP.  I would even take three if the value is there.

At Corner, I see FOUR young corners who were not the reason we sucked last year.  It was the constant 3 and outs and inability to score.  Worst in the league.  Our defensive statistics were skewed by the abysmal time of possession.  I think Austin and Hall deserve to be penciled in as starters.  Both are big tough press corners who fit the system that Saleh will be using.  Guidry and Jackson played well considering they were thrown to the wolves.  Guidry played well as the nickel late in the season.  That is not so easy, especially for a rookie.   Jackson played nearly half the season and started a bunch of games.  I judge his performance mediocre but that is not bad when you bring size to the table and he does.  Remember, there is no subsitute for experience and he got plenty of snaps.  If cut, Jackson is picked up instantly.   I would bring in a veteran corner at the right price.  Richard Sherman would be a nice pickup with his wisdom and toughness.   Particularly with the size of our corners.  They could learn a lot from that veteran.  But only if the price and contract length is right.  Overall, I think corner has the most long term potential of any unit on the team.

At running back I think we are set.  Johnson, Perine and Adams can all play this game and Saleh uses a system to get production out of his backs.  I - for one - am looking forward to the return of play action!  If one of the top backs falls to 34, I am open to it.  But I do not feel desperate in any way. 

We need to bring in a tight end to compete with Herndon for the starting job.  But do not deceive yourself.  Herndon is a solid inline tight end and they are difficult to find.  H backs and banjo blockers abound, but Herndon is a solid blocker and a genuine threat to get wide open.  If he could just catch the easy ones, he is a top 15 tight end.

I would like to see us add 4-3 defensive players on the cheap to fill out the roster before the draft so we do not feel forced to make moves.  From where I stand things are shaping up nicely.  At 23 and 34 , I am thinking WR, Edge or LB for the 4-3.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

In his last two seasons with the Rams, Joyner allowed just 21 receptions on 44 targets. However, his performance took a dip with the Raiders, and has given up 94 catches on 130 targets over the last two years. The fact he switched to slot cornerback after mainly playing safety in Los Angeles could explain why he’s struggled in the last two campaigns after previously playing at a high level.

https://blackandteal.com/2021/02/27/jaguars-cap-casualty-lamarcus-joyner/

4 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

I realize that this is unpopular with the Zach Wilson tribe or those who think we are contenders but I see things differently.  We are not one player away and loading up the cap with long term deals is not the way to go.

Sam Darnold may or may not be the answer.  But he is paid for and ours for two more years once we pick up his option - which we will imo.  If I thought a QB would make us contenders, I would be open to other choices.  But I do not.  Nor do I blame Darnold alone.  Our wideouts did not get the job done and - as you have noticed - we are cleaning house.  I also blame the offensive line which was simply noncompetitive at times.  Speaking of which . . .

At OL, I would take Penei Sewell and consider myself lucky that I am not picking 3rd.  I will also trade back IF I AM OFFERED VALUE!  If not, Sewell makes me very happy.  The 3rd through 12th picks are pretty much the same imo.  As for the interior OL, I would take one in the 3d if justified and be a bargain hunter later.  "Guard only" and "Center only" players with starting grades can be had every year in the 3d-5th round. I am looking to take two but not early unless it is the BAP.  I would even take three if the value is there.

At Corner, I see FOUR young corners who were not the reason we sucked last year.  It was the constant 3 and outs and inability to score.  Worst in the league.  Our defensive statistics were skewed by the abysmal time of possession.  I think Austin and Hall deserve to be penciled in as starters.  Both are big tough press corners who fit the system that Saleh will be using.  Guidry and Jackson played well considering they were thrown to the wolves.  Guidry played well as the nickel late in the season.  That is not so easy, especially for a rookie.   Jackson played nearly half the season and started a bunch of games.  I judge his performance mediocre but that is not bad when you bring size to the table and he does.  Remember, there is no subsitute for experience and he got plenty of snaps.  If cut, Jackson is picked up instantly.   I would bring in a veteran corner at the right price.  Richard Sherman would be a nice pickup with his wisdom and toughness.   Particularly with the size of our corners.  They could learn a lot from that veteran.  But only if the price and contract length is right.  Overall, I think corner has the most long term potential of any unit on the team.

At running back I think we are set.  Johnson, Perine and Adams can all play this game and Saleh uses a system to get production out of his backs.  I - for one - am looking forward to the return of play action!  If one of the top backs falls to 34, I am open to it.  But I do not feel desperate in any way. 

We need to bring in a tight end to compete with Herndon for the starting job.  But do not deceive yourself.  Herndon is a solid inline tight end and they are difficult to find.  H backs and banjo blockers abound, but Herndon is a solid blocker and a genuine threat to get wide open.  If he could just catch the easy ones, he is a top 15 tight end.

I would like to see us add 4-3 defensive players on the cheap to fill out the roster before the draft so we do not feel forced to make moves.  From where I stand things are shaping up nicely.  At 23 and 34 , I am thinking WR, Edge or LB for the 4-3.

Hate the idea of taking Sewell at 2 but otherwise agree with a lot here.

2 minutes ago, heymangold said:

#23 rated safety is “really good”?

Out of 64 starting safeties in the league, it is bettere than average.  And for 1 year at $4.5M, its not like they are paying him top end starter money.

• Upvote 2

The Jets have been searching for some reinforcement at safety over the past week. Outside of Marcus Maye and Ashtyn Davis, the Jets had no depth at the position, so Joyner will certainly contribute with his new team. As Rapoport notes, Joyner seemingly made it a priority to find a team that would let him play safety. The veteran spent the 2020 campaign playing nickel with the Raiders.

Joyner ultimately spent two seasons with the Raider, starting 16 of his 28 games. He finished the 2020 season 66 tackles and five passes defended in 14 games (six starts). He appeared in 62 percent of his team’s defensive snaps last season.

The 2014 second-round pick spent the first five seasons of his career with the Rams organization, hauling in four interceptions in 27 starts between the 2017 and 2018 seasons.

3 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Why is everyone so ok with only signing JAGs?

because great players don't hit free agency. you seem to want big names, but that doesn't mean they're better than those "JAGS".

JD will build the core of the team through the draft like he's said 100x.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

Joyner’s been a slot CB the past 2 years; he’s going to move back to S with us. 1-year, $4.5m.

Likely puts us somewhere between $20-24 million under the cap.  

We should get a little more I’d think GVR or Lewis is probably cut after we signed Freeney