2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

New York Jets general manager Joe Douglas speaks during a press conference at the team’s NFL football training facility in Florham Park, N.J., Tuesday, June 11, 2019. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

NFL rumors: Why Zach Wilson, Justin Fields are no sure bets as Jets’ Sam Darnold’s replacement

Updated 12:58 PM; Today 12:57 PM 

New York Jets general manager Joe Douglas has to decide if he's ready to move on from quarterback Sam Darnold.AP

Facebook Share

Twitter Share

By Mike Rosenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The devil you know ...

Many New York Jets fans are hoping general manager Joe Douglas pulls the plug on quarterback Sam Darnold and uses the No. 2 pick overall in the 2021 NFL Draft to select a new franchise QB.

No one will try to argue that Darnold has lived up to the hype that came with him being the No. 3 pick overall in the 2018 NFL Draft.

But how sure is Douglas that BYU’s Zach Wilson or Ohio State’sJustin Fields is that much better than Darnold?

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero talked recently to “veteran evaluators across the NFL, from decision-makers to area scouts.” From those conversations, here are some possible red flags on Wilson and Fields.

Wilson

Will his body hold up?

Wilson “has an injury history, including a torn labrum in his right (throwing) shoulder suffered in high school that required surgery after his freshman season in 2018; a torn labrum in his left shoulder he said in 2019 would eventually require surgery; and a fractured right thumb that required surgery and sidelined him for over a month during the 2019 season. ‘Size and just durability’” an NFC executive said. ‘Can he last?’”

What kind of leader will he be?

“It’s a little bit of the Baker Mayfield syndrome, where you like [the edge] to a point,” an AFC executive said. “It’s just whether or not you can control it and toe the line.” Said an NFC exec of Wilson: “He was kind of a hothead early. There were some comments early on before he became a player about, did he endear himself to his teammates? Kind of a cocky kid, comes from money -- what kind of leadership does he have? (But) this kid loves playing football. He’s a junkie of the process, which I’m a big fan of.”

Fields

How ready is he for the NFL game?

“It’s all the full-field read stuff and making decisions, just quickening up the pace,” an AFC scout said. “He’s one of those pre-programmed guys: When it’s clean and everything’s there, it’s easy for him. And he’s got arm talent. He can spin it deep. But it’s more blitz recognition and just seeing it.”

“It’s just going to require a commitment to an offensive system that’s going to tailor to his strengths,” an AFC executive said. “Asking him to drop back and read it and go through progressions -- you’re asking for disappointment.”

What kind of leader will he be?

“Everybody vouches for him in a good way, at least his teammates,” a second NFC executive said. “They didn’t the first year -- he came in kind of stoic, didn’t try to get to know the teammates very well, just wanted to win the job. But that changed this year. They love him. They think he’s a great leader and a great teammate.”

Wilson and Fields are expected to be the top quarterbacks on the board when the Jets draft at No. 2 overall, with the Jacksonville Jaguars selecting Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence with the No. 1 pick.

George Fant wants former Seahawks teammate in New York

USATSI_15145728.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
March 11, 2021 9:00 am

George Fant is hoping one of his former Seahawks teammates joins the Jets.

Cornerback Shaquill Griffin did not receive the franchise tag from the Seahawks this week and will become a free agent. In light of that news, Fant took to Twitter on Tuesday to lightly pitch Griffin on joining the Jets.

Griffin could earn himself a nice payday with the free agent market for cornerbacks being thin this year. He’s an above-average player at his position but not a shutdown No. 1 cornerback. A Pro Bowl alternate in 2019, Griffin recorded 249 tackles, 48 pass defenses and six interceptions in his four years with the Seahawks.

New York’s cornerback depth was depleted last season. Once the Jets released Pierre Desir, they were left with rookie Bryce Hall as their top corner and second-year pro Bless Austin at the top of the depth chart. The Jets ran out an inexperienced group of corners every week, and it wasn’t always pretty.

It hasn’t worked out well the last few times the Jets have signed a top cornerback in free agency, though. Most recently, Trumaine Johnson was a complete disater in his time with the Jets after receiving a five-year deal worth $72.5 million in 2018.

Fant wants Griffin and the Jets to give each other a look during free agency, but we’ll see if the feeling is mutual once the new league year begins on March 17.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I meant the part where you said the Jets have the best reputation among players since Rex days lol. But that's good info too!

Oh because of Saleh/Douglas. Saleh's former players are raving about him, and most media outlets have labeled it the best hire of the cycle, and player's have been pretty open about their desire to play for him. I don't think that necessarily means he'll pan out, but between that, the money, the picks, the opportunities, and JD's reputation... it certainly makes the team more attractive in the short-term than it felt the past 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Cleveland Browns vs. New York Jets, December 27, 2020

Jets’ Sam Darnold trade rumors: NFL insider updates timeline for possible deal

Updated 2:43 PM; Today 2:34 PM 

The New York Jets could trade quarterback Sam Darnold.Joshua Gunter, cleveland.com

Facebook Share

Twitter Share

By Mike Rosenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Time for another spin on the quarterback carousel.

NFL Network insider Ian Rapoport joined ”The Rich Eisen Show” on Thursday for the latest rumors and buzz from around the NFL.

Rapoport sounded skeptical that trades for Houston Texansquarterback Deshaun Watson, Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson or San Francisco 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo will happen any time soon, if at all.

As for the New York Jets and Sam Darnold, Rapoport made it sound like it’s just a matter of time before the 23-year-old QB is packing his bags.

“Darnold probably gets traded. If he gets traded, I don’t know for sure, I don’t know for sure he’s getting traded, but it’s going to be more toward the middle of April or maybe even draft week, if it happens, just because by then the Jets will have settled on who they will take at No. 2.”

If the Jets trade Darnold, look for general manager Joe Douglasto use the No. 2 pick overall in the 2021 NFL Draft on a new franchise QB. The Jacksonville Jaguars are expected to select Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence at No. 1, leaving BYU’s Zach Wilson and Ohio State’s Justin Fields as the best available quarterbacks on the Jets’ draft board.

One other Rapoport nugget to tuck away: look for a possible Ryan Fitzpatrick sighting with the New England Patriots.Fitzpatrick, the former Jets quarterback, spent 2020 with the Miami Dolphins as a tutor for Tua Tagovailoa.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Saw on ESPN that Matt Milano and the Bills reached a 4y, 44mm deal. Was mentioned in some spots as maybe a guy we would be interested in.

There has never been a player dead or alive that someone hasn't said sign this beast..

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, football guy said:

Oh because of Saleh/Douglas. Saleh's former players are raving about him, and most media outlets have labeled it the best hire of the cycle, and player's have been pretty open about their desire to play for him. I don't think that necessarily means he'll pan out, but between that, the money, the picks, the opportunities, and JD's reputation... it certainly makes the team more attractive in the short-term than it felt the past 

Jets PR baby!!

2 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

A lot of juicy #Jets nuggets from

on #DraftCrashCourse w/

: #NYJ ‘zeroing in on Zach Wilson’ IF they find the right trade package for Sam Darnold + 3 teams are in the Darnold sweepstakes: #49ers #Washington #Bears ‘those are the three’. #TakeFlight

The only juicy nuggets Connor Rogers is dishing up can be found in  his toilet after a night of Bud Lite Seltzers and habanero wings.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

on #DraftCrashCourse w/

: #NYJ ‘zeroing in on Zach Wilson’ IF they find the right trade package for Sam Darnold + 3 teams are in the Darnold sweepstakes: #49ers #Washington #Bears ‘those are the three’. #TakeFlight

This doesn’t make sense. Either Wilson or isn’t the guy. 

4 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

on #DraftCrashCourse w/

I dont care if we only get a third, just turn the page and end the darnold era

5 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

This is me on my 50th PFF mock draft of the night emoji23.png

Lol that is totally me most years. This year, I have totally dropped off in checking mocks because they're all pretty damn irrelevant until we know what the Jets do at QB. They're oddly the linchpin of the entire draft this year. That said, if they make a move at QB soon, hoo boy it'll be draft szn. 

Lol that is totally me most years. This year, I have totally dropped off in checking mocks because they're all pretty damn irrelevant until we know what the Jets do at QB. They're oddly the linchpin of the entire draft this year. That said, if they make a move at QB soon, hoo boy it'll be draft szn. 

Yeah I’ll try different scenarios though...the Sam version and the no Sam version. Can’t really add Watson but I can do the other versions. I love loading up on day 2. So many intriguing prospects from 40-80.

40 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

on #DraftCrashCourse w/

I’ll say that dude rarely ever makes these kind of statements unless theres validity to it.

Nothing earth shattering, but definitely seemingly more likely we are going Wilson.

7 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Just don't get why a guy would sign 3 days before FA window? You don't even want to SEE what another team offers? I get it if you're a scrub but I can't imagine Buffalo would have pulled that offer... 

That’s what happens when you’re  on a winning team. Guys want to stay. When you’re on A losing team, you always have to overpay and never get the Home town discount.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

That’s what happens when you’re  on a winning team. Guys want to stay. When you’re on A losing team, you always have to overpay and never get the Home town discount.

I hear that - but like if the Colts offered him $14mm per? Or Ravens? 49ers? I dunno - I'd just keep it in my pants for 72 hours but hes the one with a $40+mm contract so I guess I'm the a$$hole