2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

19 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

you probably loved the le'veon bell, trumaine johnson and cj mosley signings

BIG NAMEZZZ

you weren't a member of the board then, so we don't know your reactions.  i'm sure you loved it too.  as far as i remember, everyone was pumped for the johnson and mosely signings.  mosely was a beast that one half he played hah.  

i'd rather take a shot on a big name with big talent (juju, golladay, ANY CB other than joyner) then i would signing guys that might not even make the week 1 roster and claiming they're supplemental to your just OK drafts.

12 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Also, the Union negotiated for the league to spread the Covid decrease over 3 years. Meaning that this year's cap should have been lower under the formula in the CBA, and the league and union agreed that instead they'd basically borrow from the next two years' cap to subsidize this year's. So the cap won't be exploding for two years.

Which is one reason, btw, I don't particularly like Douglas's "3 year deals only" strategy; there's a good chance that any contract number for years 4 and 5 that you have a player signed to this year will be an extreme bargain come 2024 and beyond, and most players are cuttable by year 4 anyway if things don't work out

The 3 year deals are still a plus for the Jets though, especially considering the 26 year olds.

Let's face it, it's only human nature to get comfortable and relax a bit.  If someone signs a 5 year deal worth 10s of millions, they're going to feel pretty damn comfortable.  Maybe slack off a year or two before starting to rebuild the resume for their next deal.

But 26 year olds on 3 yewr deals who would love another big deal before they hit 30?  Even better if only 2 years of the contract is guaranteed (Lawson)...  They're gonna ball-out.

• Upvote 1

The Jaguars are widely expected to draft Trevor Lawrence with the No. 1 overall pick, which would take Gardner Minshew out of the starting lineup. Minshew is reportedly drawing trade interest, but head coach Urban Meyer says he’s not looking to deal the quarterback — at least, not right now (via NFL.com). 

1 minute ago, Samtorobby47 said:

You’re saying this because the Bengals signed a 32 yr old LT?

i'm saying this because it's been 2 years of him saying he's going to fix it and still hasn't but continues to sign replacement level players and trying to tell us it's an upgrade.  Lewis, GVR, Fant, Cole, Perriman, Khalil, etc.

and yes, reiff would probably be an upgrade on Fant.

11 minutes ago, heymangold said:

you weren't a member of the board then, so we don't know your reactions.  i'm sure you loved it too.  as far as i remember, everyone was pumped for the johnson and mosely signings.  mosely was a beast that one half he played hah.  

i'd rather take a shot on a big name with big talent (juju, golladay, ANY CB other than joyner) then i would signing guys that might not even make the week 1 roster and claiming they're supplemental to your just OK drafts.

hated the bell signing.  thought they overpaid johnson, but didn't expect it to be a complete disaster.  liked the mosley signing.

golladay has a bad hip.  there's a reason he's still sitting on the sidelines.  if he were a true stud #1 WR with no injury concerns, he would have been "signed" at 12:03pm on monday.

and juju is a big name.  unfortunately his production doesn't really match, at least since AB left town.  he was the 3rd best WR on his team last year and averaged under 9 yards per catch and had an even worse 2019.  i'd be fine with the jets adding him, but if i had to chose only 1, i would take davis.

cole and joyner are solid additions on 1-year deals.  the ST guy from NO is a premier STer in the league.  don't know much about the LB they signed, but he has talent (former 1st rounder) and it's a 1-year deal to see if coaches can get the talent out of him.  feeney is nothing to write home about, although i recall him being very well regarded coming into the draft.  he's a depth piece for the line - better guard than center (his awful grades are as a center).

i would like the see the CB, IOL, TE and RBs spots addressed.  i'm sure they will do that in the draft or the remainder of the off-season.  but i'm not gonna be upset they didn't sign "big name" 31 y.o. kyle randolph to a stupid contract.

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Maybe true for some .. for me its about the one guy on your team who will not be denied and wins 75-80% of the 50/50 balls thrown his way. Also a requirement is hands of glue ... no drops

Then you should like the two guys we signed.  Maybe not 75-80% contested catch rates, but both guys are top 5 over the last 3 seasons.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, heymangold said:

i'm saying this because it's been 2 years of him saying he's going to fix it and still hasn't but continues to sign replacement level players and trying to tell us it's an upgrade.  Lewis, GVR, Fant, Cole, Perriman, Khalil, etc.

and yes, reiff would probably be an upgrade on Fant.

Dude, Riley Reiff is the same caliber player as a few of the players that you’ve been griping about that we already signed. Reiff also plays LT btw, we don’t need a LT.

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

More accurate statement:  Bad QBs make their offensive lines look bad, while good QBs can make bad offensive lines look good.

Justin Herbert had great success, as a rookie, behind a worse OL than the one the Jets had last season.  

That’s certainly no excuse for failing to upgrade at 1-2 of the OL spots this offseason.  But if Douglas finds a real QB, the unit will look acceptable either way.  

I disagree.  Herbert had an incredible season, but he's the exception to the rule when it comes to rookie QBs and offensive lines.  A majority of veteran QBs can't do it behind a bad offensive lines.  

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Dude, Riley Reiff is the same caliber player as a few of the players that you’ve been griping about that we already signed. Reiff also plays LT btw, we don’t need a LT.

i never said i wanted reiff, but he'd be an upgrade on Fant at RT, which is most likely where he's going to play when the bengals draft Sewell.

i was responding to the tweet that said the bengals were doing the most important thing and improving the protection for Burrow.  like i said, something JD refuses to do.

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

If they play him there, they can stay at 5 . One less potential trade partner. Can get Slater at 5.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

OH and you ADMIT most of the players signed are MEH!  haha

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Wait, no one wants to commit to us?  LOL.  Players sign where the money is.  Players want security, rarely bet on themselves.  

Youre kidding yourself if you think players are taking 1 year deals so they can run away early.  Theyre taking 1 year deals because thats what JD offered and it was the best deal available.  Not the SOJF claim of the opposite

Hes trying to get a lot of good players over a couple of better players because this team needs players

Its like those who want us to trade down allowing us to draft more players, lesser valued players, to fill more holes.  Then turn around and dont get the same strategy with FA

That's not the point at all.  The point is that Douglas has the cap room to sign talent worthy of long term commitments.  Instead he's signing guys to one year deals who would obviously rather have multi year deals, but no team is willing to make that investment because they aren't that good.  Fant, Lewis, GVR, Feeney, etc.  He hasn't hit on these contracts yet.  Maybe this year will be different, but I would have rather him signed a guy like Zeitler to a long term contract and locked up a guard position with a legitimate starter.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, heymangold said:

OH and you ADMIT most of the players signed are MEH!  haha

I didn’t say that? I said most of the players you’re crying about us signing are the same caliber as Reiff who you’re upset we didn’t sign...they’re all lower level starters but the difference is ours are extremely young with room to grow. 

find yourself some consistency if you’re going to complain.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, heymangold said:

i never said i wanted reiff, but he'd be an upgrade on Fant at RT, which is most likely where he's going to play when the bengals draft Sewell.

i was responding to the tweet that said the bengals were doing the most important thing and improving the protection for Burrow.  like i said, something JD refuses to do.

Smh make your mind up. This is becoming a troll job pretty quickly. You typed it as if you were upset we didn’t make the move. What big name OL would you like us to force to play for the Jets?

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Smh make your mind up. This is becoming a troll job pretty quickly. You typed it as if you were upset we didn’t make the move. What big name OL would you like us to force to play for the Jets?

you quoted my responses out of order and my stance has been pretty level since the beginning of FA.  the guys being signed are bottom barrel, bargain bin guys that won't help improve the roster.  sure, the lawson and davis signings filled a need.  i'm not impressed with either one of them.  cole, joyner and feeney are scrubs that are lucky to be in the NFL still.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

? 

I see Feeney as basically an Elflein/Lewis replacement.

He can play both guard and center (but is much better suited for guard, as evidenced by last year) and has almost 60 starts under his belt.

Ideally the Jets draft a couple of OL within the first 3 rounds and he’s not even starting opening day.

Just now, Jetlife33 said:

Could be an awesome free agency, IF he gets two good olinemen in the draft.

Otherwise he again failed to fix our biggest need.

If he gets two rookie olinemen C/G in the draft that are legit upgrades...  then yeah, JG is awesome.

Verdict will be out 'til May.

• Upvote 2