2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Could be an awesome free agency, IF he gets two good olinemen in the draft.

Otherwise he again failed to fix our biggest need.

If he gets two rookie olinemen C/G in the draft that are legit upgrades...  then yeah, JG is awesome.

Verdict will be out 'til May.

Yep

Zach Wilson
OG
WR
OG

After that, BPA at DE, CB, OLB, RB, TE, OT

7 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

That...is a very optimistic, some might say green glasses, evaluation of these signings.

I see a #2 WR who will be forced to try and be a #1

I see Leo Williams from his first few seasons here.

The rest look like filler, place holder types for the most part or outright backups.

We're better, just not a lot better, in my estimation.

I look forward to seeing them all play, perhaps for the first time in a very long time, my cynicism and doubt will be proven wrong.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, heymangold said:

you quoted my responses out of order and my stance has been pretty level since the beginning of FA.  the guys being signed are bottom barrel, bargain bin guys that won't help improve the roster.  sure, the lawson and davis signings filled a need.  i'm not impressed with either one of them.  cole, joyner and feeney are scrubs that are lucky to be in the NFL still.  

Cool.

You may be the only one who believes that since the Jets' FA moves are roundly being praised by those in and out of the league.

You understand that rosters need depth right? You seem to be taking it as a personal affront that we need to fill out the roster with guys who have starting experience. And who were your alternatives to signing Lawson and Davis? We signed the most sought after edge rusher in FA and picked up a LB that will help us transition to a 4-3. 

JD has managed to pick up a few starters, get some depth and put us in a good position for the draft - without crippling our future. And FA has also just started, lots of moves to come. I've always loved your contributions as a poster, I'm very curious why you're so downtrodden this FA period haha. 

FA's left.
Russell Okung - 73

Alejandro Villanueva - 74.6
Eric Fisher - 80
Austin Blythe - 69.3
Mitchell Schwartz - 74.7
Austin Reiter - 70.9
Dennis Kelly - 65.9
Reiff - 71.4

Becton - 74.4
McGovern - 62.2
GVR - 63
Fant - 61.6

all these guys that are left are rated higher then the jets entire line, minus becton.  instead, JD brings in a practice squad level center, for depth.  i get the draft is coming but you can't expect a rookie to come in and protect Sam, Wilson, Fields or whoever is unfortunate enough to be the QB for this team next year.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

That...is a very optimistic, some might say green glasses, evaluation of these signings.

I see a #2 WR who will be forced to try and be a #1

I see Leo Williams from his first few seasons here.

The rest look like filler, place holder types for the most part or outright backups.

We're better, just not a lot better, in my estimation.

I look forward to seeing them all play, perhaps for the first time in a very long time, my cynicism and doubt will be proven wrong.

douglas views the draft as the way to get the premiere talent, so we'll just have to wait on that.

i think a lot of us here would feel better about this, if we had more clarity on the qb situation.  i get douglas' desire to trade back and have massive ammo to restock the team quickly, and there's merit to this approach.  but trotting darnold out there with a revamped offensive weapons corps and having him still suck will seem worse throughout the year as we all continue to spin doctor the gm's efforts that this team is headed in the right direction when year after year there's qbs being drafted who perform immediately.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Cool.

You may be the only one who believes that since the Jets' FA moves are roundly being praised by those in and out of the league.

So ya keep bitching I guess...

and most of the people who think FA has been good for the jets were thinking they be in contention for the playoffs last year, when i was posting about where there was a win in the schedule.  jets fans really love hyping up nobodies and think that it'll make a difference when the season comes around.  it's starting to get embarassing.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, heymangold said:

FA's left.
Russell Okung - 73

Eric Fisher - 80
Austin Blythe - 69.3
Mitchell Schwartz - 74.7
Austin Reiter - 70.9
Dennis Kelly - 65.9
Reiff - 71.4

Becton - 74.4
McGovern - 62.2
GVR - 63
Fant - 61.6

all these guys that are left are rated higher then the jets entire line, minus becton.  instead, JD brings in a practice squad level center, for depth.  i get the draft is coming but you can't expect a rookie to come in and protect Sam, Wilson, Fields or whoever is unfortunate enough to be the QB for this team next year.

Okung is a 32 year old LT, which is Becton's position
Fisher is is a 30 year old LT, Becton's position and is also coming off an achilles injury
Blythe isn't a major upgrade on McGovern (and spend more money on the position)
Schwartz is going to retire 
Austin Reiter could be solid, but again they seem committed to McGovern
Kelly isn't that much of an upgrade over Fant
Reiff signed with the Bengals and we got Becton at LT

8 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Cool.

So ya keep bitching I guess...

You have to understand trashing players that are signed is a JN sport. If things are going well the best your going to get is it's about time they did something right.. When things go well it takes the fun out of posting for many fans..:soapbox:

1 minute ago, Tranquilo said:

Okung is a 32 year old LT, which is Becton's position
Fisher is is a 30 year old LT, Becton's position and is also coming off an achilles injury
Blythe isn't a major upgrade on McGovern (and spend more money on the position)
Schwartz is going to retire 
Austin Reiter could be solid, but again they seem committed to McGovern
Kelly isn't that much of an upgrade over Fant
Reiff signed with the Bengals and we got Becton at LT

i never said to sign one of these guys to play LT.  each and every one of them are improvements on every single offensive line position, minus becton. this all started by me pointing out the simple fact that JD has said he's going to improve the o-line and has really done nothing to show for it, minus drafting becton.  the bills have done everything for their QB and look where it's taken them.  the browns, the bengals are doing it now.  JD is all talk, no action.

11 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yeah but it still doesn't back your point that rookie QB's can't look good behind bad Olines. Players get hurt all  the time even QB's with good Olines get hurt its part of the game.

I didn't say that rookie QB's can't look good behind bad o-lines.  I said putting rookies behind bad o-lines is a terrible plan, and everyone knows that.  Do you think Dak would have developed into a franchise QB if he wasn't playing behind the Cowboys line?  Someone said that a good QB can make a bad o-line look good.  Yea, maybe Tom Brady getting the ball out quick.  Herbert didn't make his o-line look good.  Neither did Burrows.

Wild that this is is a polarizing idea.

36 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

? 

That's both upsetting and encouraging. On the one hand, he's effectively guaranteed to be on the team, which, given his profile and atrocious performance last year, I don't love. 

On the other hand, it tells you the Jets think they saw something that will make him a better scheme fit and performer for them than he was for the Chargers.

6 minutes ago, heymangold said:

i never said to sign one of these guys to play LT.  each and every one of them are improvements on every single offensive line position, minus becton. this all started by me pointing out the simple fact that JD has said he's going to improve the o-line and has really done nothing to show for it, minus drafting becton.  the bills have done everything for their QB and look where it's taken them.  the browns, the bengals are doing it now.  JD is all talk, no action.

But what position do you want them to play? They aren't improvements for positions they don't play.

24 minutes ago, heymangold said:

FA's left.
Russell Okung - 73

Eric Fisher - 80
Austin Blythe - 69.3
Mitchell Schwartz - 74.7
Austin Reiter - 70.9
Dennis Kelly - 65.9
Reiff - 71.4

Becton - 74.4
McGovern - 62.2
GVR - 63
Fant - 61.6

I'm going to reserve judgment here until after the draft.

Last year JD had to invest in the oline and massively overhaul things. 

2019's offensive line was laughably bad.  They couldn't even snap a football.  

JD had no choice but to at least build an NFL caliber oline.  Otherwise the guy would have been brought up on manslaughter charges for killing Sam.

He succeeded in massively upgrading the oline...  to the 29th ranked oline in the league.  I'm not being sarcastic.  That was a huge upgrade over 2019.

Now though, I think I agree he shouldn't spend big for minor upgrades.  Thuney was legitimately impossible to get considering a great team offered him 16 million.  

Not getting Linsley definitely seems like a JD fail though.  As of now.

If he gets 2 good olinemen in the draft who can play well this year, he's the man!

Side note, I don't know how anyone can look at the insanely bad olines we have given Sam, and say he doesn't deserve at least one season with at least an average one.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, chad2coles said:

I disagree.  Herbert had an incredible season, but he's the exception to the rule when it comes to rookie QBs and offensive lines.  A majority of veteran QBs can't do it behind a bad offensive lines.  

Sure they can.  We just don't notice it, because good QB's help make some of the OL's metrics go up.  Quality pre-snap reads, getting the ball out quickly and/or throwing guys open cure many ills on offense.  Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson have had some dreadful OL's over the years.  Hasn't stopped them from being elite QB's.  And we're seeing more and more mobile QB's in the game today that protect against bad OL play as well. 

Darnold can't do any of the things necessary to lift the overall play of the offense, hence why the OL always looks so bad.  Meanwhile they ignore how long Darnold tends to hold onto the ball.  Supposedly we can't evaluate Darnold without improvements to the OL and offense as a whole.  I look at it another way:  We can't evaluate the receivers and OL this team has properly until the Jets find a competent QB.  Mims and Perriman, for instance, looked very good with Flacco under center, and the OL mostly looked fine.  I imagine this might be a big reason why Douglas didn't go after Thuney/Linsley more aggressively.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

2019 do you mean 2020? 

The entire roster was laughably bad and the 2 win season proved it. 

No, I meant 2019.  

2020's oline was bad.  Horrible.  29th ranked in the league. 

But 2019's oline was disgraceful.  Sam was back there playing volleyball trying to catch snaps.  Our #1 offensive play was the WR screen (I still have nightmares seeing screens).  It was the only play that Sam had time to run without running for his life.

• Post of the Week 1