2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

JD would be foolish to draft Pitts @2.  You think he takes Sewell?

I think smart play is to trade it back and build the sh*t out of the roster... we are going into the draft with 9 picks... 

3 in the top 34 picks 

5 in the top 87

trade down could result in some form of 6 or 7 in the top 100 this year -

plus adding to our already 2 first rounders next year. JD is set-up to where if he hits on majority of his draft picks we will have a pretty well re-built team. 

as frustrating as it might be just got to be patient.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Stark said:

I think smart play is to trade it back and build the sh*t out of the roster... we are going into the draft with 9 picks... 

3 in the top 34 picks 

5 in the top 87

plus adding to our already 2 first rounders next year. JD is set-up to where if he hits on majority of his draft picks we will have a pretty well re-built team. 

Only disagreement I have is I don't think that's being patient. 

I think that gives us the best shot to win this year too.

3 minutes ago, Stark said:

3 in the top 34 picks 

5 in the top 87

The most patient most fans can be is one in a psych ward..

56 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson, Tom Brady, and Deshaun Watson, for that matter, have all played well behind bad offensive lines.  Justin Herbert did it for a year.  That doesn't mean that a majority of QBs can be successful behind bad offensive lines.  

I'm not talking about Thuney or Linsley or Trent Williams.  I'm even taking centers off the table because Douglas believes in McGovern.  There were plenty of linemen available that would have upgraded the guard position this offseason.  It was a clear need for the Jets and so far we have no upgrade.

If Fant or Lewis, or GVR, or any of the other guys that came in at guard had any examples of being successful before Sam Darnold ruined their ability to block, you might have a point.  But then they probably would have signed for more than 1 year commitments, right?

There's room in this argument between suggesting we need OL improvements (on which we both agree) and the extreme of "almost no one would succeed behind this OL". 

The line needs 1-2 upgrades.  But it really isn't that bad.  McGovern will play better this year, especially if we can move him to G.  But even if we don't, he was a top 10 Center coming off 2019.  There's no reason he can't return to that level of play in '21, particularly in a new system that will be better than the last one.  Becton will grow (hopefully not in size though, lol) and improve.  Those are 2 solid guys to build around.  Make at least one upgrade at G and we're in good shape.  It's far from being a dire situation as it stands currently.  

And there's plenty of time in free agency for Douglas to pick up a quality IOL, either via trade or after a cut, who didn't initially hit the open market.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The line needs 1-2 upgrades.  But it really isn't that bad.

Isn't that bad?

PFF Oline rankings...

29. NEW YORK JETS

The Jets, like the Dolphins, threw a lot of resources at the offensive line this offseason. That included a first-round pick spent on Louisville tackle Mekhi Becton, who impressed in his rookie season. His 74.3 PFF grade ranked 19th out of 38 qualifying left tackles despite battling injuries, and he showcased that his rare blend of size and athleticism could cause serious problems for defenders.

Overall, however, it was a disappointing season for the offensive line in New York. They allowed pressure in 2.5 seconds or less on 28% of their dropbacks — the worst rate in the NFL. The line wasn’t creating many lanes in the run game, either. The Jets averaged just 1.1 yards per carry before contact per rushing attempt in 2020 (30th). Once again, they’ll have to look to add pieces to their offensive line this offseason.

It was a massive upgrade over 2019, but imo, yes it really is that bad right now.

However I agree 2 upgrades G/C pushing McGovern to Guard makes things much better.

29 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Only disagreement I have is I don't think that's being patient. 

I think that gives us the best shot to win this year too.

I meant patient with this Free Agency period. still a lot of players that can be had to help complete the roster. 

but yes mass amounts of draft picks that high does give us best chance to win. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

JD seems to love him at C. I suspect they do not plan on moving him.

Probably not, but Douglas does also love versatility on the OL.  If a quality Center falls into his lap in free agency or the draft, I'm sure he'll keep the door open for a move back to G.  

• Upvote 1