2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

20 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Shane Lemeiux started the last nine games of the season for the Giants.  He is the future.  Zeitler was cut to make room for him in the starting lineup since the other guard spot is taken up by the 2018 second round pick Will Hernandez.  That the two played together last year is not the point.  The point is the Giants went with Lemieux for this season and the seasons to come. 

Look, I do not deny that Zeitler has some tread left on his tire.  But he is a very NOW player.  The Jets are rebuilding and we need tomorrow's players.  If we were reloading, it would be very different.  We are rebuilding, not reloading.

Gettelmen is going all in. It's going to be his last hurrah before he fades away. Jones is hopeless, he can't even hold on to the football. Barkley's first year coming back from a *major* knee surgery is going to be a non-factor. Golladay won't last the season. Their OL stinks. Leo will put it on cruise control after getting the guaranteed $$$.

The next five years for the Gints looks bleak. And I'm going to enjoy it.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

This sense of patience that they keep instilling in fans every year is sickening.

It’s like that one year when we got Santonio and Braylon and we were electric...nah who wants all that excitement when we can just....build through the draft ?

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Neal went for 1 year, 5 million.

Low number that I’m sure JD could of matched. Going to assume he was simply more attracted to a better roster in a extremely weak division. Add in no taxes vs NY/NJ taxes.

Probably an easy decision.

It says to me that the PUBLICLY REPORTED Jets interest was bogus all along.  It has not been Joe Douglas's style to negotiate in the press. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Canadian spell check is sooo annoying it tries to insert hoser into every sentence.

'We should not trade for Watson due to the draft cost and his character issues.'

becomes

'Like ya hoser no way we should deal for that hosehead watson eh?  Costs too much and aboot his other issues, like he's totally hosed.'

I think the Canadian version is spot on..

1 hour ago, Vader said:

It’s like that one year when we got Santonio and Braylon and we were electric...nah who wants all that excitement when we can just....build through the draft ?

Edwards we got for a 3rd and 5th rd pick and 2 jags..We got Santonio for a 5th rd pick did you see deals like that this year we missed??

• Upvote 1

Seems like Douglas is banking the 2020 class stepping up more than anything. If Zuniga, Clark and Davis step up along with Hall and Guidry this FA class starts to make a bit more sense. I think that’s a tall ask though, based on what they put on film last year (which, in some cases, is nothing)

14 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Edwards we got for a 3rd and 5th rd pick and 2 jags..We got Santonio for a 5th rd pick did you see deals like that this year we missed??

Yes.  But what I see is irrelevant. It’s what the GM sees.

18 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I think we are as attractive to layers as anyone else. I don't think they dislike being here or would avoid us.

I guess it depends what the player's priorities are. I'd guess our facilities and things of that nature are par with any other teams. But if a player is looking to sign with a competitive team or values some semblance of organizational stability, overall competence or "winning culture"... I'd think those players view the Jets about as desirable as the Jaguars. Then take into account beautiful NJ, along with the taxes and cost of living, I have no doubt that the Jets are largely viewed as a much less desirable place to sign - Right now, anyway. Start fielding a competitive team that makes the playoffs and that can change. I have no doubt that the Buffalo Bills are viewed very differently by FAs today versus 5 years ago. 

Now, if the player is all about $ above all else than well, we can (and have) landed those players. 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, British Jet said:

Really can't help but just laugh a little at this team right now. As soon as there was a report that it was between the Jets and Cowboys, you knew instantly that he was signing with Dallas. Anytime it gets leaked that so and so is choosing between the Jets and someone else, its almost guaranteed they are using the Jets to squeeze more money from the other team. ?

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The NY Jets have earned scorn and distrust they have not earned trust and after one year Douglas has not yet earned trust.

They deserve to be questioned hard on ever move until some of them start turning out.

Reasonable take -- maybe a bit more harsh than I would put it, but fair. 

We have the longest current playoff drought in the league.  Coming off a 2-14 season.  With a roster with huge holes everywhere.  And I think that is the way many players and agents around the league see us.  If you want to go somewhere to win, you are not picking the Jets. 

JD needs to figure out a way to get this team competitive and have some reason for excitement during this season.  Plenty of offseason left and we will see how it plays out.  I understand not giving this team the benefit of the doubt, they need to earn it first.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Really can't help but just laugh a little at this team right now. As soon as there was a report that it was between the Jets and Cowboys, you knew instantly that he was signing with Dallas. Anytime it gets leaked that so and so is choosing between the Jets and someone else, its almost guaranteed they are using the Jets to squeeze more money from the other team. ?

Have you considered that maybe in some of these situations (not all) that the Jets reported interest is exaggerated or even entirely fabricated?

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Lith said:

Reasonable take -- maybe a bit more harsh than I would put it, but fair. 

We have the longest current playoff drought in the league.  Coming off a 2-14 season.  With a roster with huge holes everywhere.  And I think that is the way many players and agents around the league see us.  If you want to go somewhere to win, you are not picking the Jets. 

JD needs to figure out a way to get this team competitive and have some reason for excitement during this season.  Plenty of offseason left and we will see how it plays out.  I understand not giving this team the benefit of the doubt, they need to earn it first.

Years ago when the Jets tried to be competitive again they were the highest bidder for players like Faneca and Mawae.   They are eventually going to have to do that again, but they need a better start with the draft.  

So maybe its next year that JD goes for it.  But look at the Patriots this year.,  Eventually JD will have to go for it. 

41 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I guess it depends what the player's priorities are. I'd guess our facilities and things of that nature are par with any other teams. But if a player is looking to sign with a competitive team or values some semblance of organizational stability, overall competence or "winning culture"... I'd think those players view the Jets about as desirable as the Jaguars. Then take into account beautiful NJ, along with the taxes and cost of living, I have no doubt that the Jets are largely viewed as a much less desirable place to sign - Right now, anyway. Start fielding a competitive team that makes the playoffs and that can change. I have no doubt that the Buffalo Bills are viewed very differently by FAs today versus 5 years ago. 

Now, if the player is all about $ above all else than well, we can (and have) landed those players. 

I think there are several factors.  One is money for sure.  Another is winning, winning is nice.  But you left out a few factors.  Playoff paychecks are big money in the NFL.  You're not going to get them here.  Plus, an overlooked factor is that bad teams sometimes get run over.  The sport is dangerous enough without the added danger of a team running at you when up 24-0 or trying to block Chase Young when the interior line is collapsing.  Long term opportunity is also a factor. 

Another factor is how your team has treated other veterans who came here as well as our homegrown players.  Do we reward excellence or do we let players walk over a few dollars.  The Jets have not looked too good lately in that department.

I think the taxes are more than offset by endorsement opportunities and the far higher standard of everything.  Ever eat Pizza or bread around the USA?  I have. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Surely Saleh has looked at our CBs and desires an upgrade. 

I am not so sure about that.  Saleh uses an attacking scheme that emphasizes press corners and zone coverage.  The Jets have three young corners with size in Hall, Austin and Jackson.  I think he wants linebackers who can run and play zone.  I expect to see us add one in free agency and another in the draft.  Smaller faster guys. 

As for corner, I believe that we will add one on a short term deal.  My hope is Richard Sherman who can teach our young corners how to use their size.  Nor am I afraid to roll with Guidry in the slot.  It is why I am uninterested in a longer term deal at the position.  I would bring back Poole or even Skrine on a one year deal.  We can add a corner with potential in the draft.  But not early.  I see tons of potential with our corners.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

Years ago when the Jets tried to be competitive again they were the highest bidder for players like Faneca and Mawae.   They are eventually going to have to do that again, but they need a better start with the draft.  

So maybe its next year that JD goes for it.  But look at the Patriots this year.,  Eventually JD will have to go for it. 

We did that recently with Trumaine Johnson, Leveon Bell and CJ Mosley.  Didn't exactly work out. 

I think part of the disconnect between fan expectations and the Jets rebuildng approach is that we as fans have suffered through a mostly terrible decade of Jet football.  JD is only in his second full offseason.  Saleh has not coached a game yet.  They are being more patient than some of us would like.  But I am not sure it is all on them, as we are not exactly a prime detination right now.

For the upcoming season, I want to see a team that is competitive and plays meaningful football in December.  I am tired of giving up on a season in October and being more interested in draft position than position in the standings. 

For now, I am going to try to stay optmistic and hope we are on the right track.  At least until the draft.

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

I think there are several factors.  One is money for sure.  Another is winning, winning is nice.  But you left out a few factors.  Playoff paychecks are big money in the NFL.  You're not going to get them here.  Plus, an overlooked factor is that bad teams sometimes get run over.  The sport is dangerous enough without the added danger of a team running at you when up 24-0 or trying to block Chase Young when the interior line is collapsing.  Long term opportunity is also a factor. 

Another factor is how your team has treated other veterans who came here as well as our homegrown players.  Do we reward excellence or do we let players walk over a few dollars.  The Jets have not looked too good lately in that department.

I think the taxes are more than offset by endorsement opportunities and the far higher standard of everything.  Ever eat Pizza or bread around the USA?  I have. 

Great points. Overall the reality is that, for many reasons, the Jets are less desirable than many other locations before you even begin to take in account the circus/sh*tshow nature of this franchise over the past decade. 

And if you're talking cost of living and taxes...  Teams in states with no income tax, that's a huuuuuge plus for a player when you're talking about the amount of money these guys are playing for. 

• Upvote 1