2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Have you considered that maybe in some of these situations (not all) that the Jets reported interest is exaggerated or even entirely fabricated?

Of course. Truth is none of us know how much of what we read is entirely false. My guess is probably more than we think. I was more just poking fun at the fact that it seems whenever the report says its down to Jets and so and so, it almost always seems to be so and so. Maybe they are wrong about the Jets interest, but at the same time they were right about the other team involved. 

But yes, I agree with your point overall. 

5 hours ago, Vader said:

It’s like that one year when we got Santonio and Braylon and we were electric...nah who wants all that excitement when we can just....build through the draft ?

Or Decker and Marshall. WR is the biggest example you can point to where good FA signings created one of the strengths of the team. The last time we had a home grown solid WR group via the draft was Coles and Moss. Since then, the most successful WR group this team has had was Holmes/Edwards and Marshall/Decker. 

I'm not a proponent of huge FA spending sprees. Time and time again throughout the league we see that strategy rarely works. That being said, there are times when FA can, and SHOULD be used to address roster deficits. 

I haven't completely soured on JD like a growing number here seem to be. I've seen GM's that "won" free agency and gave us an exciting off-season. Specifically, I've seen that strategy not work. If JDs philosophy is the opposite of that, fine, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and see how this strategy plays out. THAT BEING SAID, the roster needs to be improving every year. If JD is going to rely almost entirely on his drafting ability, fine. But if this is the route you're going to take, you better hit more than your miss with those draft picks. I'm not going to rate last year's draft yet. Q Will taught me a lesson on judging these guys year one. But if JD is going to sit on all that money every year, his draft picks better start equalling more wins, SOON. 

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Reasonable take -- maybe a bit more harsh than I would put it, but fair. 

We have the longest current playoff drought in the league.  Coming off a 2-14 season.  With a roster with huge holes everywhere.  And I think that is the way many players and agents around the league see us.  If you want to go somewhere to win, you are not picking the Jets. 

JD needs to figure out a way to get this team competitive and have some reason for excitement during this season.  Plenty of offseason left and we will see how it plays out.  I understand not giving this team the benefit of the doubt, they need to earn it first.

Perfectly said?

3 hours ago, varjet said:

Years ago when the Jets tried to be competitive again they were the highest bidder for players like Faneca and Mawae.   They are eventually going to have to do that again, but they need a better start with the draft.  

So maybe its next year that JD goes for it.  But look at the Patriots this year.,  Eventually JD will have to go for it. 

Without Brady to cover for his often overlooked ATROCIOUS drafting, BB had little choice to secure his legacy post Brady. Another year like 2020, while Brady and the Bucs will in all likelihood be superbowl contenders again would all but close the door forever on the Brady or BB argument. If any GM in the league drafted like BB has in the last 5+ years, they would gave been fired twice. What they spent on TE's this year after drafting TWO last year would have any other GM being ripped to pieces. 

For what its worth, I think the Pats spending spree will result much like every other team that has gone that route (wasted money that ultimately sets the team back). They will probably be better than last year, especially with their covid opt-outs returning but I think the division still belongs to the Bills and they ultimately fall short of a wildcard. A lot of it depends on Cam obviously, but I'm really looking forward to another year of Patriot struggles while Brady succeeds elsewhere. ??

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, shuler82 said:

I’m assuming you were a Mac daddy fan 

Nope.  I’d be a fan of a gm knew how to do his job, not signing jags and missing out on actual talent.  JDs first season in charge of the team and it was the worst since ‘96.  But mAyBe he’LL HiT iN tHe DrAfT.

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This is completely fair.

The Jets have tried signing big name guys, it hasn't worked.  They've signed no-names and it hasn't worked.  They've thrown money around (Trumaine Johnson, Lev Bell, CJ Mosley, etc.) and it hasn't worked.  They've underspent (Idzik, Douglas) and it hasn't worked.

This team has finished in LAST PLACE 4 out of the last 5 seasons.  The last time they won more than 7 games in a year Barack Obama was President and Bruce Jenner was still Bruce Jenner.  Quite honestly, the only good thing to happen to this team was a global pandemic that allowed the owners a reprieve from hearing live fans in their stadium booing the home team every week of the season.

This run of ineptitude is bordering on legendary.  I truly hope JD knows what he's doing because if the Jets were a horse they would have been shot by now.

May Goad help us all.

Because all that matters at the end of the day is how well you draft and coaching. 

We should be able to go back 5-7 years and have players still here playing a big role. We don’t. Our draft depth goes back about 2.5 years. 

At least we haven’t signed any frank gore type veterans, and hopefully coaching can take guys like ty Johnson to the next level. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

So if I'm reading this correctly. The Jets who had the worst offense in the NFL are perfectly comfortable with status quo as they move to a rookie QB? WTF?  Really?  Here you go rookie, here is the worst cast of talent in the NLF turn it around!!! 

Where do people come up with this sh*t? 

I think the point is that if you look at this offense without Adam Gase leading it, you may find it isn’t the “worst cast of talent in the NFL”. 

3 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

I think the point is that if you look at this offense without Adam Gase leading it, you may find it isn’t the “worst cast of talent in the NFL”. 

I think it's fair to say that Adam Gase sucked and the Jets have one of, if not the, worst rosters in the NFL.  

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Because all that matters at the end of the day is how well you draft and coaching. 

We should be able to go back 5-7 years and have players still here playing a big role. We don’t. Our draft depth goes back about 2.5 years. 

At least we haven’t signed any frank gore type veterans, and hopefully coaching can take guys like ty Johnson to the next level. 

That is the Cliff Notes version of the mess we are. Spot on.

6 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

It’s up there ( or down)

Not arguing that point. But 1) The offense is (marginally) improved already compared to what it was, 2) Douglas has a bunch of picks headed his way and 3) FA isn’t even over yet. Can we see what the team looks like May 1 before jumping off the bridge? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RVAJet815 said:

Not arguing that point. But 1) The offense is (marginally) improved already compared to what it was, 2) Douglas has a bunch of picks headed his way and 3) FA isn’t even over yet. Can we see what the team looks like May 1 before jumping off the bridge? 

Sure. I’m not expecting amazing results anyway.  This is a process.  This year will be putting things in place. By 2022, we should see better output.  I do want some answer at guard this year.  They to draft and develop that 

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

So if I'm reading this correctly. The Jets who had the worst offense in the NFL are perfectly comfortable with status quo as they move to a rookie QB? WTF?  Really?  Here you go rookie, here is the worst cast of talent in the NLF turn it around!!! 

Where do people come up with this sh*t? 

With Darnold, you have a one-year window to evaluate him. You'd have expected the Jets to have supported him more with aggressive moves in free agency, to see what they have in him.

With a rookie, your window of evaluation is three to four years. You're resetting everything and taking a longer term approach. Less incentive to make splash moves in free agency. 

That's my understanding of it anyway. 

34 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

see i think this is telling.  it would be flat our irresponsible to bring back darnold as the presumed starter without any real competition.  unless the jets get someone like bridgewater in a tradeback, they have really showed their cards in a way.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DetroitRed said:

Sure. I’m not expecting amazing results anyway.  This is a process.  This year will be putting things in place. By 2022, we should see better output.  I do want some answer at guard this year.  They to draft and develop that 

Agree. Knowing his background and upbringing in the league, I’d be shocked if Douglas isn’t spending some early picks on IOL. The day none of the big guys signed here, that was made clear. But yeah, figure out who’s throwing the ball, then fix the line, and add a RB and maybe a WR. Still hoping for Richard Sherman at CB to make that all possible. 

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

see i think this is telling.  it would be flat our irresponsible to bring back darnold as the presumed starter without any real competition.  unless the jets get someone like bridgewater in a tradeback, they have really showed their cards in a way.

Agree with this too. I am Not a big fan of bringing Sam back as unquestioned starter. Have to sign a legit alternative if you keep him around. 

2 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

With Darnold, you have a one-year window to evaluate him. You'd have expected the Jets to have supported him more with aggressive moves in free agency, to see what they have in him.

With a rookie, your window of evaluation is three to four years. You're resetting everything and taking a longer term approach. Less incentive to make splash moves in free agency. 

That's my understanding of it anyway. 

I get that, I just think that assuming a rookie QB is going to fix all your offensive woes is insane especially because everyone not named Lawrence probably needs a year on the bench.  To think you dont need to surround him with support?  I mean, we just went through this with Sam.

I just dont know how you could look at last season and put it on the QB.  Dont get me wrong, I think Sam is a tremendous bust but hands down bar none, last year was the worst supporting cast he's had yet in his career.  That team, specifically offense, was the worst pile of dog sh*t ever assembled.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

True, if the Jets decide to keep Darnold, we'd still need a capable back up, someone with enough ability to push Sam for the starter position. Tyrod Taylor or Jacoby Brissett would have been ideal, but we didn't get involved.

Guess both of the San Francisco QBs (Mullins, Beathard) are still out there, but i agree on your last point, I think we have showed our cards on where we are going with the QB position. 

50 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

This is exactly true. I’ve also read on this very site that Adam Gase single-handedly wasted the careers of legendary talents Kenyan Drake, Mike Gesicki, and Davante Parker. You replace Gase and Darnold, and the corpse of Leveon Bell at RB, it seems inevitable that the offense *should* be better.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

This is exactly true. I’ve also read on this very site that Adam Gase single-handedly wasted the careers of legendary talents Kenyan Drake, Mike Gesicki, and Davante Parker. You replace Gase and Darnold, and the corpse of Leveon Bell at RB, it seems inevitable that the offense *should* be better.

Thank God he kept his paws off James Morgan.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

I get that, I just think that assuming a rookie QB is going to fix all your offensive woes is insane especially because everyone not named Lawrence probably needs a year on the bench.  To think you dont need to surround him with support?  I mean, we just went through this with Sam.

I just dont know how you could look at last season and put it on the QB.  Dont get me wrong, I think Sam is a tremendous bust but hands down bar none, last year was the worst supporting cast he's had yet in his career.  That team, specifically offense, was the worst pile of dog sh*t ever assembled.

I don't believe they think a rookie QB will fix all of our offensive woes. I think it's more a case of accepting it will take more than one year to fix it, and we don't have the latitude to take a longer-term approach with Sam. Whereas we do with a rookie. 

I agree with everything you say on last year, and how we mishandled Darnold's development. As a franchise, we ran a clinic on how to ruin a promising young QB, but what's done is done.We can't reset time. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

I keep thinking back to Mims’ reaction when they asked him to say something about Darnold and he was like “uh yeah he’s the QB I guess.” It’s hard to measure how deflating it might have been to have had Darnold being a mush in the huddle, and then a panicked goon every time the ball was snapped. Just from a morale perspective, swapping the QB could make a difference

• Upvote 2