2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Rankins was very good the last full season he played, but that was 2 full seasons ago now. If he's fully healthy, he's still only 26.

This move makes me think the Jets 100% think Franklin-Meyers can be a starting edge in this scheme (which would be great) or he doesn't fit at all(which would be bad).

Agreed.  I also think it makes Nathan Sheperd a long shot to make the roster.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Rankins was very good the last full season he played, but that was 2 full seasons ago now. If he's fully healthy, he's still only 26.

This move makes me think the Jets 100% think Franklin-Meyers can be a starting edge in this scheme (which would be great) or he doesn't fit at all(which would be bad).

If Rankins is a DT in a 4-3 doesn't that put him more in competition with Fatukasi and/or Shepherd (for rotational) than JFM?

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

Curious to see the terms of the deal (guarantees, incentives, etc) because that seems kind of rich for Rankins.

I'm sure there will be a lower base, with incentives that could max it at $17M.

If he can stay healthy, he's going to be a very good addition. The Dline is going to be formidable.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If Rankins is a DT in a 4-3 doesn't that put him more in competition with Fatukasi and/or Shepherd (for rotational) than JFM?

What I was meaning is that Franklin-Meyers is a bit of a tweener.  He's probably not a true 4-3 end(I wouldn't think at least) and he's probably not a 4-3 DT either.  He's best suited for what he was last year a 3-4 End.  

I actually assumed(maybe incorrectly) they would have tried to roll with JFM as an undersized DT, but I don't think this move would indicate that's what the plan is.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

Curious to see the terms of the deal (guarantees, incentives, etc) because that seems kind of rich for Rankins.

Got to be health/games played type of incentive deal, I'd think but one of those if he can stay healthy could really be fun next to Q.Will

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jetlife33 said:

Wasn’t it Lawson Q Foley JFM as the 4 down lineman? Where does Rankins play? 

I think there's been a misconception going around about Saleh's defense.

I've seen many people here clamoring for another EDGE like Lawson, who isn't the best run defender.

The other 4-3 DE needs to be a stout run defender while also having ability to rush passer.  Physically, think more Jadaveon Clowney, J.J. Watt, Leonard Williams or Shaun Ellis rather than Dee Ford, Carl Lawson, John Abraham.

The way I see the Dline depth chart is on early downs...Rankins, Foley, Q, and Lawson.  And Rankins will either kick inside or JFM will.

So...

DE - Rankins, Phillips

DT - Q, JFM

NT - Foley, Sheppard

DE - Lawson, Zuniga

They're paying him 17 million to start on the EDGE.  At least I think that's the case.

• Upvote 1

With the clear focus on defense in free agency, I'm convinced Douglas is going to attack offense and the CB position hard in the draft. I expect him to try to use the #23 to trade down more than once and maximize his picks in rounds #2 and #3. You could be looking at the Jets drafting as many as seven players the first two days of the draft.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JH Jet Fan said:

I think there's been a misconception going around about Saleh's defense.

I've seen many people here clamoring for another EDGE like Lawson, who isn't the best run defender.

The other 4-3 DE needs to be a stout run defender while also having ability to rush passer.  Physically, think more Jadaveon Clowney, J.J. Watt, Leonard Williams or Shaun Ellis rather than Dee Ford, Carl Lawson, John Abraham.

The way I see the Dline depth chart is on early downs...Rankins, Foley, Q, and Lawson.  And Rankins will either kick inside or JFM will.

So...

DE - Rankins, Phillips

DT - Q, JFM

NT - Foley, Sheppard

DE - Lawson, Zuniga

They're paying him 17 million to start on the EDGE.  At least I think that's the case.

Rankins would be DT and JFM Edge

• Upvote 4

Just now, BroadwayRay said:

With the clear focus on defense in free agency, I'm convinced Douglas is going to attack offense and the CB position hard in the draft. I expect him to try to use the #23 to trade down more than once and maximize his picks in rounds #2 and #3. You could be looking at the Jets drafting as many as seven players the first two days of the draft.

Very deep IOL, WR, CB, and RB draft

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

We're clearly looking to be able to rush 4 and apply pressure.

The incentives and Rankins' ability to stay healthy will be the defining factor.

But cool. Hopefully this means we don't draft any defensive lineman!

2018 his best season. 10 and 12 games last 2 seasons. If healthy & next to Q he could have a resurgence. Probably means Shepherd or FF lose PT.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Don't love it, not a position of need. Decent player but both Myers and Fatukasi were graded higher, and cost less. It's time to get some corners and some more O help.

Different roles. 

They will next month

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

2018 his best season. 10 and 12 games last 2 seasons. If healthy & next to Q he could have a resurgence. Probably means Shepherd or FF lose PT.

Also Injury help... Its not like QW or Foley or Sheppard have played a full season yet

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

We're clearly looking to be able to rush 4 and apply pressure.

The incentives and Rankins' ability to stay healthy will be the defining factor.

But cool. Hopefully this means we don't draft any defensive lineman!

This is pretty much the cost to sign someone to a muti-year deal. Had it been a one year deal, we're looking at 1 year $5-6.5 mil, however it's great to have an option year incase the player is actually good. Therefore we can aviod giving out huge pay days for fluke seasons like we did with Henry Anderson.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Unrelated, love the avatar. Watched that show last Spring early quarantine. It's great. 

Im ready for season 2 & 3 .......Whenever they decide to do it

1 hour ago, JiF said:

2018 list has 2 WR's who have eclipsed 1,000 yards and the other list has none!

Yup. And Robby UDFA better than all. Not even a discussion. 

• Upvote 1