2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

NY Jets sign Sheldon Rankins: How he'll fit in the defense and does the move make sense?

Andy Vasquez
NFL writer
Former Saints defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins has agreed to sign a two-year contract with the Jets, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. Rankins, a former first round pick who turns 27 next month, can make up to $17 million in the deal. 

The agreement and contract details were first reported by NFL Network. 

This is an interesting signing for the Jets, who already added pass rusher Carl Lawson in free agency and have a rising star in defensive tackle Quinnen Williams. With Rankins in the fold, the Jets have the potential to be one of the better defensive fronts in football next season. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

NY Jets sign Sheldon Rankins: How he'll fit in the defense and does the move make sense?

Andy Vasquez
NFL writer
Former Saints defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins has agreed to sign a two-year contract with the Jets, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. Rankins, a former first round pick who turns 27 next month, can make up to $17 million in the deal. 

The agreement and contract details were first reported by NFL Network. 

This is an interesting signing for the Jets, who already added pass rusher Carl Lawson in free agency and have a rising star in defensive tackle Quinnen Williams. With Rankins in the fold, the Jets have the potential to be one of the better defensive fronts in football next season. 

I'll say this: their NASCAR package, with Lawson, Q, and Rankins, could give opposing OLs fits. A 4th passrusher would really be nice (Franklin Meyers at edge in that look doesn't quite do it for me) but you can't double both Q and Rankins on the interior (C can only help on one of the two) and Rankins is a very good pass rusher against single man blocking, so this move makes a lot of sense. At the end of the day, if offenses have to assign 5 to block 3 (OT & TE/RB on Lawson, C/G on Quinnen, G on Rankins) the Jets will suddenly have a numerical advantage they've flat out been missing for the past decade

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Skeptable said:

nobody is trading up to get Sewell, so you can move on from that thought.

Sewell is the 2nd best player in this draft. He's going to look great in a Jets uniform.

Like JD had stated many times - starting with his opening press conference. Build the foundation from the OL and DL out and impose your will on the other team. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Jarred Davis, Corey Davis, Sheldon rankins - all first rounders on essentially 2nd contracts. I like it.

guy I’m most excited for is Carl Lawson- I think he’s going to outplay his contract.

How did you hack into this thread? This is 100% positive.?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Our franchise has been criminally mismanaged, especially and specifically on Offense, for literally decades, with only brief exception.

It is interesting.  While you and I have different viewpoints on the QB, we come to a similar place on the GM.

Many on the board are apoplectic that we have not improved the offensive line with veterans.  I have defended this approach by claiming that the plan is to build the team through the draft.  That that so much needed repair last year that we could not rebuild the entire line and that this year we will compete the job.  Douglas needs to add interior lineman in the draft.  I would also take Sewell if we cannot trade down because he is a sure thing. 

He added wide receivers to avoid Crowder playing outside and I think that is key.

Many others want one of the also ran QBs.  Watch out, that quick fix light at the end of the tunnel might be an oncoming train.  I think Douglas is too smart for that but we shall see.

9 hours ago, YankeeJet22 said:

JDs methods are not for a 1 year fix. He's doing his way and he obviously doesn't give a sh1t what twitter and messageboards think.  His way will be more sustainable, rather than a mccagnan type shoot your load type of offseason.  Everyone needs to get over it. 

I'm in. 

Me too.  It is why I am aboard the Sewell train (if we cannot trade back).  All aboard.

He cannot miss.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JiF said:

100%.  No doubt.  Still doesnt change the fact that just throwing a rookie at it and assuming that's all it takes on offense just seems insanely narrow minded and extremely dangerous.

And while this is no admission for Sam Darnold, the reality is, this team is 0-10 when he doesnt play since drafted.  When you say that out loud, it makes you pause.  Sure, Luke Faulk but Josh McCown and Joe Flacco while not great are more then serviceable NFL QB's and they went 0-7.

My view on Sam Darnold has not changed. 

How can anyone tell?  From the bad snaps, to the matador blocking, eight man fronts, indisputably poor quality at wideout (Robby was one guy) and significant time missed due to a variety of injuries I think it is fair to say that we simply cannot tell. 

While many claimed that Flacco looked just fine, I too noticed that he lost all his games.  In his second year, Sam looked good towards the end of the season on a team that was basically Robby and Sam.  We lost all of the games he missed and we went 7-9.  As for last year, what a fiasco!  How can you blame it on Sam?  It's so unfair.

Further, Sam is paid for and ours for two more years.  If we were contenders then maybe you make a change.  If there was consensus for a QB at #2 then perhaps you make a change.  But we are not rich enough in talent to throw him away.  There are many other spots on the team that are indisputably broken.  They should be fixed while we evaluate QB for the long haul. 

Nor do I believe that any of the also-ran QBs are worthy of the #2 pick.  Be careful what you wish for fellas.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

8 hours ago, JiF said:

I have my concerns with JD but as you said he inherited a mess and while I've been critical of his draft, I am curious to see what a real offseason with new coaching can do for the class.  That said,  baring some amazing breakout, he probably screwed up a great opportunity to build a foundation by missing out on some solid OL/WR prospects in the mid rounds seemingly going away from the strength and depth of the draft yet trading back in the process.  It was confusing.  And then now, to have what again seemed wise saving cap space for a year where money is tight, he's still going for 2nd/3rd rate FA's and 1 year deals.

So again, I dont see the vision but who knows, maybe he goes off in the draft and the new coaching/system will be all it takes to get the foundation in place.  Just seems like a tall order and like you said, it feels like you almost have to hit on every pick.

I agree that we should have loaded up on young interior lineman last year.  The "guard only" guys with starting grades were there all the way into the sixth.

As for wideout, that deep class was picked clean early.  The late round guys who look good were needles in the haystack.  For every good player, there were several non-factors.   The wide receivers with starting grades were almost gone when we took Mims.  Six went in the first and seven in the second.  I could understand the criticism had this not been the case but the NFL tore into that wideout class like savages.   

• Upvote 2