2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

1 hour ago, clayton163v said:

If we had signed Rankins on the first day, many Jet fans would be singing his praises.  He is another addition for our transition to a 4-3.  It was logical that we would add more lineman since you need more of them.  He is a versatile inside out lineman who has had some success.  Good money but I doubt it is front loaded with guarantees.  He will have to play to get paid.  Another good signing that upgrades the team. 

Stop bringing sound logic to a group think board. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

At this point, the only defensive players I am taking on days 1 or 2 are CB.  Unless something changes between now and late April, premium picks need to be used for QB, OL, TE, CB and WR.

We need a linebacker who excels in coverage. We have nobody right now.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Your response doesn't nullify my statement..... NOBODY is trading with the Jets at #2 for Sewell... Period stop... That's all... I wasn't talking about how good he was. I wasn't even talking about if he is worthy to be picked at #2. All I stated and its 100% true... NOBODY... NOT 1 TEAM in the NFL is trading picks to move up to #2 for Sewell. End of story.

Can the Jets trade down... Sure but you know its not for Sewell its for Fields or Wilson.

Can the Jets take Sewell at #2... Sure but that would be a waste considering the teams that are QB needy looking to jump into the top 5 to draft a QB. 

There has to be a QB or player *worth* trading up for the #2 OA. I don't see it. There's only ONE player in this draft that's worth a trade up and #Jax is going to take TL with the first pick.

You could very well be correct that there isn't any team in the NFL that's willing and able to give up a kings ransom in picks and/or players - and that's would it would take for JD to trade out of the second spot - for ANY player in this draft and that includes all of the QB's.

Sewell is the best OT prospect in the last 10 years and has a very very small chance of being a bust and a > 90% chance that his upside is a perennial Pro Bowl and possible HOF player. 

QB's in this draft - beside TL - are not worth trading up for.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, genot said:

Agreed.  Missed that one. 

KJ Wright would be a nice stopgap in FA, but at 32, he does not fit the profile of guys we have been bringing in and likely would prefer to play for a contender than signing on for a rebuld.  Maybe Kwon Alexander would be a better fit if he is healthy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Ah, a veteran Jet fan.  It is remarkable how we recognize each other. 
I say that at the beginning of each season.  I also note that we are in line for the top seed in the playoffs too.

Indeed, we just have to win out on our remaining games.

10 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

There has to be a QB or player *worth* trading up for the #2 OA. I don't see it. There's only ONE player in this draft that's worth a trade up and #Jax is going to take TL with the first pick.

You could very well be correct that there isn't any team in the NFL that's willing and able to give up a kings ransom in picks and/or players - and that's would it would take for JD to trade out of the second spot - for ANY player in this draft and that includes all of the QB's.

Sewell is the best OT prospect in the last 10 years and has a very very small chance of being a bust and a > 90% chance that his upside is a perennial Pro Bowl and possible HOF player. 

You are in the far far minority on your opinion there... but again... nobody is trading picks to #2 for Sewell... Period stop.

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

At this point, the only defensive players I am taking on days 1 or 2 are CB.  Unless something changes between now and late April, premium picks need to be used for QB, OL, TE, CB and WR.

Well, they shouldn’t need to be, but now they kinda do. Would love to see the Jets have the ability to be opportunistic, taking something like the second best linebacker at #34 if he drops rather than reaching for the 7th best lineman or 3rd TE.

What happens if the board does not fall the way the Jets hope/expect? What if the Jets take a quarterback at 2 and when it rolls around to 23 and 34 the best offensive lineman is something like the eighth best available player at that point? Are we fine with “Value Joe” waiting until a later Round to get an OG or RT?

Answering yes to that last question isn’t necessarily wrong. It simply means that we wouldn’t be heading into 2021 with an Oline any better than we had in 2020, or that the Jets may force themselves into a post-Draft trade that’s more expensive than they want.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

The Bears traded up for Trubisky. There’s always some QB desperate team willing to trade up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

So, so far we have spent about $36.25 million / year on defense and $23.5 on offense.

This with an utterly pedestrian last in the league offense the last two years.

Some things never change with this team.

Yeah I am a bit frustrated as well, but we have to see what happens in the draft. 2 of the first 3 and 3 of first 4 need to be on offense. QB, IOL, OT, TE, WR and on defense just CB

29 minutes ago, fullblast said:

The Bears traded up for Trubisky. There’s always some QB desperate team willing to trade up.

But will they have the draft pick/player capital necessary to make it happen? JD isn't giving away the pick just for the sake of trading down.

[mention=33820]football guy[/mention] what are you hearing re: Zuninga? Is he able to hold down edge opposite Lawson in JD/Ulbrecht's eyes? That would be huge. Won't need to go Edge early in draft. Also wondering if they feel Clark is ready to step in at LG or RG?

TIA

I don’t know what the team is thinking about Zuniga, but he was a third round pick last year. I doubt the team has already given up on him the way most of the fan base has

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

But will they have the draft pick/player capital necessary to make it happen? JD isn't giving away the pick just for the sake of trading down.

The Bears were willing to trade away the farm for Russel Wilson, tho now they have Dalton.  Goes to show that I think teams are definitely willing to deal picks/players for QBs.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Well, they shouldn’t need to be, but now they kinda do. Would love to see the Jets have the ability to be opportunistic, taking something like the second best linebacker at #34 if he drops rather than reaching for the 7th best lineman or 3rd TE.

What happens if the board does not fall the way the Jets hope/expect? What if the Jets take a quarterback at 2 and when it rolls around to 23 and 34 the best offensive lineman is something like the eighth best available player at that point? Are we fine with “Value Joe” waiting until a later Round to get an OG or RT?

Answering yes to that last question isn’t necessarily wrong. It simply means that we wouldn’t be heading into 2021 with an Oline any better than we had in 2020, or that the Jets may force themselves into a post-Draft trade that’s more expensive than they want.

That's so true about us wanting. a player in the draft who was unfortunately drafted two spots ahead of us. Another reason to gather more picks. Allows us to trade up, if we're worried about him going ahead of us by a few slots. That would suck.

3 hours ago, genot said:

We need a will to complete the 4-3.  I expect one in the draft along with a free agent or traded player.  Cashman is a fit, but cannot be counted on since he is apparently made of glass.

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

@football guy what are you hearing re: Zuninga? Is he able to hold down edge opposite Lawson in JD/Ulbrecht's eyes? That would be huge. Won't need to go Edge early in draft. Also wondering if they feel Clark is ready to step in at LG or RG?

TIA

The review on Zuniga is his best fit in the pros is as a pass rushing three technique.  Ourlads worried that he lacks a true position in the pros.  They also worried about his health and ability to hold his own against the run.  They said if he catches fire he could be a real weapon.  Sort of a poor man's Justin Tuck.  In many ways, he should be the happiest guy on the team that we are going to a 4-3 since he was a poor fit for the 3-4.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, clayton163v said:

My view on Sam Darnold has not changed. 

How can anyone tell?  From the bad snaps, to the matador blocking, eight man fronts, indisputably poor quality at wideout (Robby was one guy) and significant time missed due to a variety of injuries I think it is fair to say that we simply cannot tell. 

While many claimed that Flacco looked just fine, I too noticed that he lost all his games.  In his second year, Sam looked good towards the end of the season on a team that was basically Robby and Sam.  We lost all of the games he missed and we went 7-9.  As for last year, what a fiasco!  How can you blame it on Sam?  It's so unfair.

Further, Sam is paid for and ours for two more years.  If we were contenders then maybe you make a change.  If there was consensus for a QB at #2 then perhaps you make a change.  But we are not rich enough in talent to throw him away.  There are many other spots on the team that are indisputably broken.  They should be fixed while we evaluate QB for the long haul. 

Nor do I believe that any of the also-ran QBs are worthy of the #2 pick.  Be careful what you wish for fellas.

The Jets couldn't've done worse by Darnold if they had actively tried to sabotage him. It's criminal. I think there are many people around the league who are aware of this, who had their own evaluation of Darnold when he came out, and still regard him as a viable QB prospect. Some of those folks might even be in the building at One Jets Drive, but bringing back Sam would be immensely unpopular with the fans. I don't know how they do that without a viable backup plan, and right now they don't have one. 

He's only under contract for this year. His fifth year option for 2022 would be $18.8M, which is certainly affordable for a starting QB, but again that would be a pretty unpopular move with the fans. As a tradeable commodity, though, Sam Darnold for two years/$23.6M isn't terrible. 

It's going to come down to value for Joe Douglas. I agree with you that the QBs all have some red flags. Flavor of the month Zach Wilson only had one big year and that was against questionable competition. Do they see past that? It seems like a lot of people do. I think the Jets will be getting offers for the #2 pick and for Darnold, and they're going to weigh them against their favorite QB in the draft. There's no doubt in my mind that JD really likes the idea of trading out of #2, stockpiling picks this year and next, and really building thru the draft in his vision. What it comes down to is if they like Wilson (or Fields, maybe?) on a rookie contract at QB better than that package. Obviously in that scenario, they're rolling with Darnold and probably picking up that option as a result. You need to have everyone in the building on board with that if that's what you're gonna do, because you're going to get a lot of heat from the press and the fans with very little margin of error. 

I can see the logic of either move, but lately I've been leaning towards them just taking the QB, taking the best offer for Darnold, and moving on. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Does trading for Sam Darnold to have him sit on the bench as a back up in the final year of his contract make much sense for anybody unless the trade is for a late round pick?

The starting QB situations in Seattle and San Francisco could probably best be described as tenuous right now. If those teams have an interest, it's an interest in Darnold becoming their starter at some point. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Serious question:

Is Jordan Reed hurt?  Because that would be a fantastic pickup for TE if he is healthy. 

He has about 5 concussions (that we know of) in 3 years. I think the healthy ship has sailed. Wouldn’t be opposed on the cheap but even at the beginning of his career, health was an issue. Meh. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think if the Jets sit at #2 and take the QB that #23 and 34 would both immediately make it onto the trading block. Especially in a scenario like you describe where the player value doesn't meet the team's needs. We saw how the OL who made it to free agency got paid, those guys could easily fly off the board in the draft, too. 

Right now, I'd pencil CB and IOL into those two picks, in either order, but it sucks being locked into need like that. I expect the free agents to continue to trickle in for the next month to hopefully alleviate some of that need. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Albright was saying the Jets would trade down a few months ago. 

If JD/Lefleur have Wilson, Lance & Fields rated equally, then we are now in the drivers seat with Atlanta or Carolina. We can play them off against each other & hope Atlanta moves up to secure their preferred QB. We could actually trade down 2X if we're rolling with Sam, gain additional pick in 1st next year for DW trade.

• Upvote 1