2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

1 hour ago, clayton163v said:

I love Etienne but doubt he will be breaking tackles in the league.  Not his game.  He is an elusive breakaway type like LeSean McCoy.  Harris is the guy who will break tackles and chip away at a defense.  I prefer Etienne but Harris is the smashmouth bellcow two down back in this year's draft.  Etienne is a three down guy who can do it all. 

Either would instantly improve the club.  Personally, I want to stick with our backs and improve the wideouts and offensive line.  All three can play in this league (Adams, Perine and Johnson).

I don't agree .. Perine looked slow to me ... like molasses slow.

• Upvote 4

The New York Jets may not be bringing back linebacker Harvey Langi or edge rusher Tarell Basham for the 2021 season.

A few Jets defenders might not be staying in Florham Park in 2021.

SNY’s Ralph Vacchiano noted Friday that the Jets aren’t likely to tender linebacker Harvey Langi, who’s set to be a restricted free agent. Edge rusher Tarell Basham additionally looks like he’s on his way out of New York/New Jersey.

Langi took part in 14 games with six starts last season, and it’s truly uncertain who could be manning the inside linebacker spots for the team in 2021. Both Neville Hewitt and Bryce Hager are set to be free agents with C.J. Mosley potentially returning after opting out of the 2020 season due to coronavirus concerns.

The Jets could address the position with their significant amount of cap space (nearly $70 million as of Friday) or with one of their ten picks in the upcoming 2021 NFL Draft. New York likely wouldn’t draft an inside linebacker with its No. 23 overall pick in the first round though — that could be used to replace Basham and pending free agent edge rusher Jordan Jenkins.

Potential edge rusher targets at No. 23 include Oklahoma’s Ronnie Perkins and/or Georgia’s Azeez Ojulari.

Given the Jets tied for 20th last season with just 31 total sacks, some believe the edge rusher position could be the goal for Gang Green’s latter first-round pick (the Jets’ No. 2 selection may be used on BYU quarterback Zach Wilson). However, others believe they should go with an offensive weapon at No. 23 to help develop whoever starts at quarterback (whether it’s Wilson or Sam Darnold). The fact the Jets were last in total offense, scoring, and 31st in passing last year additionally supports the idea they should go offense in the back half of the opening round.

Joe Douglas and the defensive-minded Robert Saleh will possess a multitude of decisions in the near future — locating replacements for both Langi and Basham are looking like they may be two of them.

NFL free agency 2021: Lions’ Kenny Golladay or Steelers’ JuJu Smith-Schuster to Jets? Latest predictions for Joe Douglas landing No. 1 WR

Updated 6:45 AM; Today 6:45 AM 

Detroit Lions wide receiver Kenny Golladay is a well-regarded free agent. Mike Mulholland | MLive.com

Facebook Share

Twitter Share

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Because of the franchise tag, the Jets won’t be landing the Buccaneers’ Chris Godwin or Bears’ Allen Robinson in free agency. Both elite wide receivers were tagged.

So what now for Jets general manager Joe Douglas, as he seeks a No. 1 receiver?

Well, Pro Football Focus has published its latest predictions for where its top 50 free agents will land. The No. 1 free agent (Lions receiver Kenny Golladay) heads to the Giants. The No. 5 free agent (Texans receiver Will Fuller) goes to the Colts.

And the No. 13 guy on this list (Steelers receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster) goes to the Jets, who get the third-best available receiver (at least according to PFF’s pecking order).

PFF predicts the Jets will give Smith-Schuster a four-year, $68 million contract, with $35 million guaranteed. And here’s the rationale for that projection:

Smith-Schuster is one of the riskiest bets in this free-agent class, and the Jets have been rumored to have significant interest in the wide receiver.

He produced the 16th-best receiving grade in the NFL playing primarily in the slot alongside Antonio Brown back in 2017 and 2018 — his first two seasons in the league. Once Brown departed before the 2019 season, Smith-Schuster was expected to hold his own become the focal point of the offense.

That, however, was not the case. He struggled with the extra attention and battled injuries throughout the year, recording a disappointing 63.1 PFF grade. Things were marginally better in 2020, with a PFF grade of 70.0 that ranked in the bottom half of the league.

Smith-Schuster doesn’t have to be a primary outside receiver to become a WR1, but the fact that he failed to win there following the departure of AB does him no favors.

The Jets could also be in the mix for Titans receiver Corey Davis, who is No. 14 on PFF’s list. PFF projects him to land with Washington.

As for other PFF top 50 free agents, the Jets are predicted to re-sign slot cornerback Brian Poole (No. 41), and bring in Steelers edge rusher Bud Dupree (No. 48) and Seahawks running back Chris Carson (No. 50).

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

NFL free agency 2021: Lions’ Kenny Golladay or Steelers’ JuJu Smith-Schuster to Jets? Latest predictions for Joe Douglas landing No. 1 WR

Detroit Lions wide receiver Kenny Golladay is a well-regarded free agent. Mike Mulholland | MLive.com

Facebook Share

Twitter Share

Because of the franchise tag, the Jets won’t be landing the Buccaneers’ Chris Godwin or Bears’ Allen Robinson in free agency. Both elite wide receivers were tagged.

So what now for Jets general manager Joe Douglas, as he seeks a No. 1 receiver?

Well, Pro Football Focus has published its latest predictions for where its top 50 free agents will land. The No. 1 free agent (Lions receiver Kenny Golladay) heads to the Giants. The No. 5 free agent (Texans receiver Will Fuller) goes to the Colts.

And the No. 13 guy on this list (Steelers receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster) goes to the Jets, who get the third-best available receiver (at least according to PFF’s pecking order).

PFF predicts the Jets will give Smith-Schuster a four-year, $68 million contract, with $35 million guaranteed. And here’s the rationale for that projection:

Smith-Schuster is one of the riskiest bets in this free-agent class, and the Jets have been rumored to have significant interest in the wide receiver.

He produced the 16th-best receiving grade in the NFL playing primarily in the slot alongside Antonio Brown back in 2017 and 2018 — his first two seasons in the league. Once Brown departed before the 2019 season, Smith-Schuster was expected to hold his own become the focal point of the offense.

That, however, was not the case. He struggled with the extra attention and battled injuries throughout the year, recording a disappointing 63.1 PFF grade. Things were marginally better in 2020, with a PFF grade of 70.0 that ranked in the bottom half of the league.

Smith-Schuster doesn’t have to be a primary outside receiver to become a WR1, but the fact that he failed to win there following the departure of AB does him no favors.

The Jets could also be in the mix for Titans receiver Corey Davis, who is No. 14 on PFF’s list. PFF projects him to land with Washington.

As for other PFF top 50 free agents, the Jets are predicted to re-sign slot cornerback Brian Poole (No. 41), and bring in Steelers edge rusher Bud Dupree (No. 48) and Seahawks running back Chris Carson (No. 50).

Id be good with both Corey Davis and Jonnu Smith

I see the Golliday/Giants connection a lot.  Is there any reason for it?  I think a lot of talking head types think the Jets are in the better future position if the two franchises, so it's interesting that lots of predictions have Golliday landing with Giants.

To my knowledge, Allen Robinson was franchised, correct? And even if he were to be available I believe it would be a wasted move. The Jets don't need TWO WR's capable of being a number 1 WR. I very much believe, And I could be wrong, that Denzel Mims is capable of becoming a number 1 WR. So spending some 20 million per season would be a waste in my opinion. My feeling is Joe Douglas is looking for a nice number 2 to compliment Mims talents...

29 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

To my knowledge, Allen Robinson was franchised, correct? And even if he were to be available I believe it would be a wasted move. The Jets don't need TWO WR's capable of being a number 1 WR. I very much believe, And I could be wrong, that Denzel Mims is capable of becoming a number 1 WR. So spending some 20 million per season would be a waste in my opinion. My feeling is Joe Douglas is looking for a nice number 2 to compliment Mims talents...

Disagree 2 #1 WR's of equal talent can only benefit any QB. 

Mims is unproven and needs to stay healthy first to be judged on an entire season. 

If JD can sign 2 quality NFL proven WR's I hope he does it. 

• Upvote 2

Weston Richburg may be calling it a career. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports (via Twitter) that the 49ers center “likely ends up retiring” this offseason. To prepare for the apparent retirement, the 49ers front office restructured Richburg’s contract this morning, saving the team $6.875MM.

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I see the Golliday/Giants connection a lot.  Is there any reason for it?  I think a lot of talking head types think the Jets are in the better future position if the two franchises, so it's interesting that lots of predictions have Golliday landing with Giants.

I honestly don’t know. I posted this from Albert Breer in the Golladay thread.

Some thought it might mean just not a bad team but the use of “program” and “fresh start” made me think that after the time with Patricia he’s not looking to go to a branch or the Pats tree. Pats and Dolphins have money - obvious connections, and Judge is from there as well. I think those are three of the teams we see speculated the most.

Maybe the Colts make sense among teams that have money? Definitely a WFT style move to go with the flashy receiver too. All that said I’d think if he wants a non Pats style program, targets, and of course a decent contract the Jets would be up on his list.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Earlier this week, offensive tackle Trent Williamshinted that he’d be interested in sticking with the 49ers. According to Mike Garafolo of NFL Network (on Twitter), the 49ers are hoping that’s the case, as the organization is making a push to sign the veteran before the start of the league year on March 17.

NFL rumors: After Jets cut Henry Anderson, who could be next to leave if Joe Douglas wants more salary cap space for free agency?
Joe Douglas is getting ready for free agency. AP

The Jets currently have about $75.3 million in salary cap space for free agency, which begins March 15.
That’s a result of defensive end Henry Anderson being released this week. The expected move created $8.2 million in cap space.
Only the Jaguars have more cap space ($82 million), based on overthecap.com’s estimate. The Patriots ($62.2 million) are third. So the Jets are in great position.
But general manager Joe Douglas might not be done, in terms of roster cuts (or one big trade). So who could be next? And how much more cap space can Douglas create?
Let’s take a look, now that the no-brainer release of Anderson is complete.
(It was Douglas’ only no-brainer release decision this offseason, by the way. These other moves aren’t locks.)
WR Jamison Crowder: A tricky one here, since Crowder was the Jets’ best receiver last season. He’s not a No. 1 receiver, though. Douglas has to bring in a high-profile receiver this offseason, either in free agency or the draft. Yes, he just drafted Denzel Mims in Round 2 last year. But Crowder (if he stays) and Mims aren’t enough. The issue with Crowder is that his 2021 cap number ($11.375 million) is simply too high. Then again, it’s not like the Jets have a surplus of receivers. So they could use Crowder’s services, even with a bloated cap number.
Cap implications: $10.375 million savings, $1 million dead money
QB Sam Darnold (trade): This all depends on what Douglas and new coach Robert Saleh want to do at the sport’s most important position. A huge decision. Cutting Darnold wouldn’t make sense. But a trade might. Unless Douglas and Saleh think he can be salvaged by new offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur.
Cap implications: $4.77 million savings, $5.01 million dead money
RG Greg Van Roten: Douglas signed him last offseason, but Van Roten failed to deliver — 40th in Pro Football Focus’ offensive guard ratings. The Jets need quality depth on their line (and also better starters), so Van Roten could stick around, since he doesn’t have a huge cap hit ($3.65 million). He’d be fine as a backup.
Cap implications: $3.4 million savings, $250,000 dead money
LG Alex Lewis: The Jets clearly need to upgrade at guard. Lewis had a 66.6 PFF grade last season (out of 100) — slightly better than Van Roten’s 62.7. Is Lewis worth retaining with a $7 million cap hit in 2021? Maybe not.
Cap implications: $5.36 million savings, $1.66 million dead money
RT George Fant: How much does Douglas want to carve up his offensive line, after taking a first shot at repairing it last offseason, when he signed Fant and Van Roten? Douglas would also need to determine who might replace Fant (61.6 PFF grade last season) at right tackle, opposite promising second-year left tackle Mekhi Becton (74.4 PFF grade last season). Fant’s cap number for 2021 ($9.85 million) isn’t insanely high. But neither is his dead money hit.
Cap implications: $7.85 million savings, $2 million dead money
TE Ryan Griffin: Neither Griffin nor Chris Herndon appears to be a long-term answer at tight end. Herndon had a 57.9 PFF grade in 2020. Griffin’s grade was 56.1. Not great.
Cap implications: $1.87 million savings, $1.45 million dead money
TE Chris Herndon: The Jets have tried to make it work with Herndon, a fourth-round draft pick in 2018. But it hasn’t worked. He is entering the final year of his rookie contract. After 502 yards and four touchdowns as a rookie, he has just 294 yards and three touchdowns in the past two seasons combined. Still, Griffin seems likelier to get cut this offseason, since he has a bigger 2021 cap hit — $3.3 million, compared to Herndon’s $2.3 million. Plus, Griffin is 31 — seven years older than Herndon.
Cap implications: $2.18 million savings, $167,000 dead money

FINAL ANALYSIS ...
Griffin and Lewis seem likelier to get cut than Van Roten, Crowder, Fant, and Herndon.
Cutting those two would mean $7.23 million in additional cap space, bringing the Jets’ total to $82.59 million.
Throw in the Darnold trade, and that number goes up to $87.36 million.
Crowder’s release would free up a huge chunk of cap space, and perhaps push Douglas close to $100 million, depending on what else he does with these other moves. Fant, at $7.85 million, is another a big-number release possibility, in terms of cap space created.
Van Roten and Herndon have manageable cap hits for 2021, so they’re probably worth retaining, even though neither is a star.

Just a quick note here but I expect this season under the new coaching staff will be a breakout year for Chris Herndon.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 Bold Predictions for 2021 NFL Free Agency

BRAD GAGNONMARCH 12, 2021

The 49ers Cut Jimmy Garoppolo, Acquire Sam Darnold from the Jets

2 OF 8

The San Francisco 49ers have stood by quarterback Jimmy Garoppolopublicly, but not in an overly effusive fashion. ESPN's Seth Wickersham reported last year that San Francisco brass "discussed" pursuing Tom Brady before he signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last offseason. After another injury-marred campaign from Garoppolo (his second in three full seasons there), it's hard to believe the Super Bowl-oriented 49ers are satisfied. 

Meanwhile, the New York Jets haven't stated what they'll do with quarterback Sam Darnold, but this regime didn't draft Darnold, and it's hard to imagine them sticking with the league's lowest-rated passer from 2020 when they can have their pick of the non-Trevor Lawrence quarterback litter in the draft. 

That said, Darnold is still just 23 and possesses plenty of potential outside of Adam Gase's football prison. Kyle Shanahan's quarterback-friendly offense could take pressure off of the 2018 No. 3 overall pick and enable him to finally excel.

And for the purposes of a trade, it probably doesn't hurt that new Jets head coach Robert Saleh has a relationship with Shanahan and 49ers general manager John Lynch after they spent the last four years together in the Bay Area. 

Per Spotrac, the 49ers would save $23.6 million by cutting Darnold and would take on a mere $4.8 million hit with Darnold, who would also be cheaper than Garoppolo in his 2022 option year. That would make it a lot easier to keep key players like Trent Williams, Kyle Juszczyk, Richard Sherman and Solomon Thomas on the roster this offseason. 

9 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Disagree 2 #1 WR's of equal talent can only benefit any QB. 

Mims is unproven and needs to stay healthy first to be judged on an entire season. 

If JD can sign 2 quality NFL proven WR's I hope he does it. 

+ 1 

no more depending on “maybe he’ll step up. He flashed” WR is extremely important & any team, not just us, could always benefit from having as many extremely talented WR’s as they can roster.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Marshmello said:

Damn it looks like Kyle Juszczyk is resigning with SF. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/14/49ers-set-to-re-sign-kyle-juszczyk/

49ers set to re-sign Kyle Juszczyk

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 14, 2021, 5:43 AM EDT

San Francisco 49ers v Arizona Cardinals
Getty Images

The 49ers said they would do everything they couldto re-sign fullback Kyle Juszczyk before he could leave in free agency, and it appears they’ve done both that.

Although no official signing has been announced, 49ers General Manager John Lynch strongly hinted that it’s going to happen on Twitter.

“I’m thirsty. Niners fans, you want some ‘Juice?'” Lynch wrote, using Juszczyk’s nickname.

The 49ers previously signed Juszczyk to a four-year, $21 million deal that was the biggest ever given to a fullback. Now Juszczyk has played out that contract and would hit free agency on Wednesday, but it appears he’ll be staying put.

The 49ers have about $30 million in cap space and may have an active first week of free agency.

On the eve of the legal tampering period, it appears that two of the Colts’ top free agents will be permitted to speak with other clubs. As Stephen Holder of The Athletic writes, there has been little to no progress in Indianapolis’ contract talks with WR T.Y. Hilton and CB Xavier Rhodes.

The Chicago Bears may have used the franchise tag on wide receiver Allen Robinson, but that doesn't mean he'll be wearing a uniform anytime soon.

Robinson has "zero plans" to sign the franchise tag in the "immediate future" and may wind up holding out if negotiations go poorly, ESPN's Jeremy Fowler said Sunday on SportsCenter:

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

16 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

The Chicago Bears may have used the franchise tag on wide receiver Allen Robinson, but that doesn't mean he'll be wearing a uniform anytime soon.

Robinson has "zero plans" to sign the franchise tag in the "immediate future" and may wind up holding out if negotiations go poorly, ESPN's Jeremy Fowler said Sunday on SportsCenter:

I seen this coming. He sounded disgusted at the thought of the franchise tag when he talked about it on the podcast with Sherman. He wants a long term deal.

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

What are peoples thoughts on Casey Heyward?  The Chargers just cut him.

I know on principle we hate 32 year old corners but this guy had some very good years.

Would really depend on contract. There’s a handful of veteran corners we can use for 2-3 seasons and eventually replace via draft.

35 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:
In response to John Lynch’s early-morning tweet to 49ers’ fans about wanting “Juice” - a reference to the 49ers’ fullback - Kyle Juczykz’s agent, Joe Linta, said this morning: “I would like juice, too. But it’s expensive at this time of year.”

That's a great line.

• Upvote 2