2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

13 hours ago, football guy said:

Right now, people close to the Jets and Panthers both expect a chess match. Douglas is going to basically express that the Jets are the Panthers' pathway to a star QB, and if they don't give up what he's asking he'll just draft Wilson himself. Panthers are going to say we can still get a QB without moving up to #2, even if we'd like to land Zach Wilson. 

When push comes to shove I ultimately think Carolina trades up for Zach Wilson. He's a perfect match for their scheme (more perfect than he is for the "Shanahan" scheme), he fills the "star" QB void the owner wants, their coaching staff has had a year to establish their culture/identity, and they have the support system to foster a young QB. If Deshaun is off the table they have 2 real options: stay put or trade up above ATL. Why pay the price to move to #3 when you can pay a little more for #2 and get the guy you want who fits your style of play best? Just seems like there will be a lot of posturing, and the only way they won't move up is if they truly truly truly are as high on Mac Jones as they are rumored to be, in which case they would feel less motivated to move up to #2 unless its a deal in their best interest, and if not just wait it out RE: LAC and take him at 8. Not sure I'm buying that one either. 

I can't ignore that the Jets receiver core is built in a way that would be maximized most by a QB like Wilson (deep throwing YOLO balls) vs. a QB like Darnold (finding the crossing receiver and hit in stride), but I was told that this had nothing to do with Wilson, rather, LaFleur's desire to attack downfield more than Kyle did coupled with Douglas's affinity for bigger-bodied receivers (I'm not sure I fully buy it but we'll see)... FWIW, apparently the staff expects big improvements on Darnold's intermediate-and-downfield passing when Knapp and Calabrese are done working with him (if they do). 

Great insight.  I really have no idea what way to feel about this as i dont think anyone will get any clarity either way until after Zachs pro day. 

We've both gone on to talk about the differences in style of receivers between the SF model and GB model and agree this will mimic more of what GB has been doing with down the field throws, and it seems your sources are confirming as much.  However I do think that the style of these WR's plays into Darnold as well as he does throw a lot of contested throws particularly in the intermediate part of the field.  Big bodied WR's that are good in contested situations should help with that.  We also know the more inaccurate you are down the field the more of a benefit a bigger bodied WR becomes (similar to how plaxico helped eli early in his career).  This draft is so deep with slot guys It would be easy to add one or two to balance things out if they wanted to, plus I know they are high on Berrios developing further. 

Ideally if we keep Sam I would love a combination of Pitts and Rondale Moore, I just do not think moore fits JD's model of a WR (5'7 is out of character for him as he's shown to be a size queen lol). 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joe Thuney and Corey Linsley is *not* a one or the other proposition for the Jets. If Thuney were to accept the Jets offer, they would still be interested in Linsley 👀 

Stage I [Jets fail to spend $200 million in the first six hours of free agency; JN blows out its collective diaper]: COMPLETE Stage II [Jets sign a bunch of second- and third-tier FAs; JN begins

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, football guy said:

No but when they were vetting GM candidates, they were letting them know it was their intent to go “all-in” on a star QB. Part of their hiring process was finding the guy they felt could get it done. 

Whether or not that still stands today is hard to say. They would’ve been the front-runners for Watson if he were made available, now the question is whether they move up to 2, move up a few spots, or convince ownership they can still land the best guy for the Panthers at 8 — if they truly love Lance/Jones the way they’ve been leading people to believe 

Wouldn’t be surprised if Panthers move up but I think it’s going to be at #3 to take Fields or lance. There is always the possibility they wait on Watson but also bring in insurance by Trading for Sam. I still think Sam will be a Bronco , Niner or Panther.  Don’t worry guys we are getting closer 

21 minutes ago, football guy said:

No but when they were vetting GM candidates, they were letting them know it was their intent to go “all-in” on a star QB. Part of their hiring process was finding the guy they felt could get it done. 

Whether or not that still stands today is hard to say. They would’ve been the front-runners for Watson if he were made available, now the question is whether they move up to 2, move up a few spots, or convince ownership they can still land the best guy for the Panthers at 8 — if they truly love Lance/Jones the way they’ve been leading people to believe 

How about Denver at #9?  New GM Paton. He has to be doing something similar to what Douglas and company are doing in evaluating their QB...If they decide they really like Wilson or Fields maybe they move up to #2 to get their guy..They then can deal Lock for a pick or two... 

12 minutes ago, Cbucco19 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if Panthers move up but I think it’s going to be at #3 to take Fields or lance. There is always the possibility they wait on Watson but also bring in insurance by Trading for Sam. I still think Sam will be a Bronco , Niner or Panther.  Don’t worry guys we are getting closer 

Thanks for the insights.  I think darnold to Denver makes sense, not as much to Carolina since they can draft a qb at 8 or trade up anywhere from 2 to 7 to get one.  Glad you’re hearing wilson to jets is a done deal pending physical.  

The spot I really like is the #4-6 range.  Not sure if ATL is all in on a QB but if not, then pretty good chance Fields is available there, or even beyond barring a trade. Barring Fields, you still have Pitts and Chase there, both of whom I like a lot more at that position than at #2.

Not sure if we have a trade partner there, but I'm curious about the scenario of trading down to #8 or #9, and then moving back up to the #4-6 range.

Say we get the package FootballGuy suggests of 3 1sts and a 2nd.  Then, for purposes of this idea, say we are able to move back up to #5 since CIN might be happy with Slater and feels they can get him lower.  So maybe #8 and one of the 1sts gets us back up to #5 with a 2022 3rd coming back..

Now we are sitting at #5 with an extra 2nd in 2021, 3rd in 2022, and 1st in 2023.  That's three straight years of two 1st round picks.  One of Fields, Chase, Pitts will have to be there.  Maybe two of them.  If I was spitballing on the white board, that's a scenario I'd be interested in exploring.

• Upvote 3

Jets have been weirdly passive in the CB market. Placing a lot of pressure on themselves to hit on CB and IOL in the draft.

This team ultimately had too many holes to address in one off-season.

26 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The spot I really like is the #4-6 range.  Not sure if ATL is all in on a QB but if not, then pretty good chance Fields is available there, or even beyond barring a trade. Barring Fields, you still have Pitts and Chase there, both of whom I like a lot more at that position than at #2.

Not sure if we have a trade partner there, but I'm curious about the scenario of trading down to #8 or #9, and then moving back up to the #4-6 range.

Say we get the package FootballGuy suggests of 3 1sts and a 2nd.  Then, for purposes of this idea, say we are able to move back up to #5 since CIN might be happy with Slater and feels they can get him lower.  So maybe #8 and one of the 1sts gets us back up to #5 with a 2022 3rd coming back..

Now we are sitting at #5 with an extra 2nd in 2021, 3rd in 2022, and 1st in 2023.  That's three straight years of two 1st round picks.  One of Fields, Chase, Pitts will have to be there.  Maybe two of them.  If I was spitballing on the white board, that's a scenario I'd be interested in exploring.

This was my goal before FA - but with the lack of moves at OL and the additions of Davis and Cole - I may be more willing to trade down further - to say SF @ 12 and try and get more picks because now I am more inclined to select one of the top OL (Slater/Vera-Tucker) or CB (Surtain) 

11 minutes ago, fullblast said:

I think people have to put that in perspective.. Were rebuilding anyone who thinks we were  gonna fix all our holes and become a complete team this year is foolish.

Doesn’t mean we can’t question Douglas at all but we need to calm down a little and not  act like we’re screwed because we’re not gonna become a great team this year.

• Upvote 2

Jets obviously don't see CB as a desperate need, or maybe don't like the options in FA at a price they want to pay.

I still think they will add a couple, when they find a FA at the right price and then in the draft too.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Jets have been weirdly passive in the CB market. Placing a lot of pressure on themselves to hit on CB and IOL in the draft.

There aren’t that many great zone cb fits..  They also might be waiting for some contracts to come down in price.  I suspect we will sign a vet at some point in the next few days, there’s no way we enter the season with rookies and what we have.

Just now, mrcoops said:

Jets obviously don't see CB as a desperate need, or maybe don't like the options in FA at a price they want to pay.

I still think they will add a couple, when they find a FA at the right price and then in the draft too.

Maybe because we are investing in a strong DL with an actual pass rush for the first time in decades, the team doesn't put as much need on the CB position.  I'm sure we'll add one via FA or the draft, but I don't think it's a burning a need as it was last week.

FWIW, I think there is a lot of potential value at the #34 pick for CB so I'm okay with us skipping it in round 1.

• Upvote 1
Just now, mrcoops said:

theyll assuredly add 1 or two in the draft, but I think they also do not hate what they have right now.  Obviously there is room for improvement but I think it was more of an emphasis to start to settle the front 7 this offseason than to build the back end.  

Obviously this is helped by a few things

1) The move to a more cover 3 / quarters team helps the corners out tremendously so you do not need absolute lock down corners. 

2) the additions of Joyner (who was a very good FS) and keeping Maye, they probably feel these two can help the corners out in these coverage schemes.

3) bolstering the front 7 and passrush will greatly help the secondary as well. 

So really as much as we see the secondary and feel there is a huge need there, the combination of these factors, along with the ability to draft a guy probably has made them comfortable waiting out the FA market at the position. 

• Upvote 4

The coaching staff might think they can do this weird, uncommon, rarely talked about, secret, magical method for valid Corners this upcoming season - actually coaching their existing players to be better. 

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

It'll never catch on.

• Haha 2
11 minutes ago, RogerVick1980 said:

I think people have to put that in perspective.. Were rebuilding anyone who thinks we were  gonna fix all our holes and become a complete team this year is foolish.

Doesn’t mean we can’t question Douglas at all but we need to calm down a little and not  act like we’re screwed because we’re not gonna become a great team this year.

I dunno about that.

Defense is looking pretty good minus CBs at the moment. 

Offense is missing a couple oline upgrades and TE.

If JD drafts Pitts, and then oline/cb with next 3 or 4 picks, I see a solid team.  Growing pains with the rookies for sure, but perhaps meaningful games in December.

28 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

I'd be happy with Curry, as a veteran presence who can add some pass-rush off the bench. He's a good player, not a great one, but he still has value in a limited role.

• Upvote 2
20 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You mean good pass rush for the other team because with our oline our Qb whoever it is will be on his ass all game.

Two of our top 3 FA have been pass rushers. 

If we trade down from #2 for extra pics maybe but if not I'll be pretty upset if we go pass rusher at 23

If we don't get a trade down offer that JD deems acceptable and he takes Sewell at #2 OA I'd be OK with the #23 OA being used to pick an edge - but only if JD feels that the value is there. And if that happens I'd want JD to take a OG/C with #34 OA.

The value to build the OL wasn't there in FA so I expect JD to stick to his stated philosophy of building through the draft and stressing that, after QB, the OL/DL is the second priority of building the team.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Maybe because we are investing in a strong DL with an actual pass rush for the first time in decades, the team doesn't put as much need on the CB position.  I'm sure we'll add one via FA or the draft, but I don't think it's a burning a need as it was last week.

FWIW, I think there is a lot of potential value at the #34 pick for CB so I'm okay with us skipping it in round 1.

If opposing offenses need five or six guys back to block the Jets‘ front four, they’ll be smothered in zone. It’s not a terrible approach. 

• Upvote 2