2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Can’t agree with some of this, since douglas promised darnold as much last offseason.  I also doubt he told him that barring an insane offer, you’re coming back.  That’s why they’re coaching the new wrs to say nice things about darnold.  

JD did succeed in improving the oline last year.  He brought in a lot of pieces last offseason.

Did it still suck?  Yup.

Was it PFF's 29th ranked oline, but worst in pass protection?  Also yup.

But it was a massive improvement over 2019's oline.  I really think many here either don't realize, or forget how bad the oline has been.

He did draft Mims and bring in Perriman.  Perriman didn't work out, and Mims couldn't even practice 'til mid-season due to injury.

There's only so much that can be done in one offseason. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, football guy said:

Vinny Curry has been in the Jets cross-hairs for a while now. From NJ and if I understand correctly lives in Monmouth County during the offseason. 

As far as inaction at CB, I think that comes down to liking the guys we have. The coverage scheme puts less pressure on the perimeter CBs, and the pass rush additions should help a lot. The Jets really like Bryce Hall and Bless Austin. I'm not sure whether Bless is in the long-term plans, but he's a starting caliber player. If you sign a guy to a big contract, you're pretty much ruling out the chances of one of those guys playing, whereas if you draft someone and/or sign a lower-tier FA (like Rasul Douglas) you can let the 3 of them compete for snaps. 

As far as the slot, I know for sure they really like Javelin Guidry. That was one of the players mentioned during training camp as a guy they were really impressed, and his play at the end of the season validated those beliefs. Still, I would think the Jets would bring in competition there. Still time to, but clearly, it won't be a marquee addition like K'waun Williams. Could very well see Poole returning on another 1-year deal. 

I kinda thought the Jets might actually like their young CB's.  I mean Hall was basically made a starter the day he returned from IR - pretty incredible and he held up well.  Bless to me has played way better than what should be expected from a 6th rounder with major injury concerns.  Same with Guidry.  I'm a little nervous having these young pups be our starters but with a new zone concept defense with a strong front 7 applying pressure maybe we really are set at CB.  Depth is needed but perhaps starting CB's aren't seen as a need by the coaches/FO.  Those dirt cheap contracts with solid play would be an absolute coup.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Vinny Curry has been in the Jets cross-hairs for a while now. From NJ and if I understand correctly lives in Monmouth County during the offseason. 

As far as inaction at CB, I think that comes down to liking the guys we have. The coverage scheme puts less pressure on the perimeter CBs, and the pass rush additions should help a lot. The Jets really like Bryce Hall and Bless Austin. I'm not sure whether Bless is in the long-term plans, but he's a starting caliber player. If you sign a guy to a big contract, you're pretty much ruling out the chances of one of those guys playing, whereas if you draft someone and/or sign a lower-tier FA (like Rasul Douglas) you can let the 3 of them compete for snaps. 

As far as the slot, I know for sure they really like Javelin Guidry. That was one of the players mentioned during training camp as a guy they were really impressed, and his play at the end of the season validated those beliefs. Still, I would think the Jets would bring in competition there. Still time to, but clearly, it won't be a marquee addition like K'waun Williams. Could very well see Poole returning on another 1-year deal. 

Question - Do you think Lamar Jackson's (the CB) skillset is better suited for Saleh's D?  I do. The knock coming out was his lack of speed.

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

We'll see how it plays out. I don't think a QB at #2 will happen. So, IMO, it's a really good haul for a trade down or JD makes a pick at #2. If it turns out to be a pick then JD sticks with his plan and builds a dominate OL.

Sewell fits JD's team building philosophy and OT has the lowest percentage of busting out of all the premium positions (QB, WR, CB & edge). Add in Sewell's upside of being a  perennial Pro Bowl player and possible HOF career and he fit's LaFeur's style of offense.

I'll defer to @bitontianalysis but his prior post point out that Sewell is a fantastic OT.

I think this is more projection than JD’s plan. You want that OL, he’s not going to overspend in draft capital on it in that way. A QB is going to go #2 overall, it’s just a matter of whether or not it’s the Jets making the pick. 

Quite honestly, two of the best trends I've seen with Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh is that they're not "going back to the well" of players, coaches, etc. that they know best.  Many here thought as soon as Doug Pederson was released from his contract in Philly that Joe D would go get his boy.  He didn't.  In fact, Joe made one of the very first hirings at HC in this offseason landing a guy who was near the top of almost everyone's list.  Joe was open-minded and made the hire based on the merits, not a previous relationship.

Same thing seems to be happening with Saleh.  Sure, there's still time in free agency and some 49ers may trickle in here but probably at bargain prices.  Saleh doesn't seem to have pushed Joe to pursue "his guys."  There seems to be some meritocracy going on here.  Players are getting pursued because of what they can do and not who they know.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see one or two former Saleh players sign here but mostly from a culture-building, help teach the system by example standpoint.

I've posted about my disappointment in not landing an upgrade at IOL, at not getting a better TE from this free agency class, etc. but I can't complain about how methodical the Jets seem to be with their plan.  They're sticking to it, not overspending, and they have some clear priorities.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Well, isn’t there a possibility that Saleh just doesn’t like any of them? If there’s one guy who knows these players, it’s the guy who’s been inside the facility.

I'm with you, but it doesn't fit the a**hole narrative of everything the Jets do is wrong.

• Haha 1

Any thoughts on what we're seeing (or not seeing) with free agent OLinemen so far in terms of many second/third tier guys still being available.

Yes, Thuney, Linsley, etc. have signed big deals.  But on ESPN's list of Top 100 free agents there are still quite a few guys floating around, some older and with injury histories, but they're out there...

14951.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

8. Mitchell Schwartz, OT

2020 team: Kansas City Chiefs | Age entering 2021 season: 32

Schwartz had never missed a start in his NFL career before last season and had proved himself to be one of the NFL's best tackles by the time he suffered a back injury that cost him 10 games and the entire postseason in 2020.

16706.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

13. Alejandro Villanueva, OT

2020 team: Pittsburgh Steelers | Age entering 2021 season: 32

Even if his best days are behind him, Villanueva plays a position that is very difficult to replace in free agency. Teams consider it a win to find a serviceable left tackle in free agency, and he certainly qualifies in that regard.

16789.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

14. Trai Turner, G

2020 team: Los Angeles Chargers | Age entering 2021 season: 28

Yes, two teams have given up on him in the past 12 months. But Turner was named to five Pro Bowls before the age of 27. There's plenty of athleticism and potential there to make him a desired target.

15790.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

23. Eric Fisher, OT

2020 team: Kansas City Chiefs | Age entering 2021 season: 30

The Chiefs' decision to release Fisher, the No. 1 overall pick in 2013, caught many by surprise. The timing of his recovery from a torn Achilles tendon surely played into it, but there is every reason to think Fisher has many more years as a productive left tackle ahead of him.

13242.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

48. Russell Okung, OT

2020 team: Carolina Panthers | Age entering 2021 season: 32

Okung could be moving to his fifth different team in the past seven seasons, a reminder that there is always a market for someone who can fit the profile of a left tackle. He has struggled to stay on the field in his past two seasons, however, and has missed 19 games during that stretch because of various injuries.

2514816.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

85. Austin Reiter, C

2020 team: Kansas City Chiefs | Age entering 2021 season: 29

Reiter has been a perfect center for the Chiefs' offense during the past two seasons. He ranked No. 14 in the NFL in pass block win rate last season (94.7), and his absence was felt in the handful of games that he missed. Given the shortage of left tackles on the market each season, many teams target available centers as a way to upgrade their offensive lines.

15900.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

93. Rick Wagner, OT

2020 team: Green Bay Packers | Age entering 2021 season: 31

Wagner started nine games for the Packers last season, and it's up for debate how many teams would consider him a full-time starter for 2021. But the annual scarcity at his position, whether as a starter or for turn-key depth, makes him a factor in this market.