2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

1 hour ago, slats said:

I sense impending disappointment. The Jets are probably prepared right now to not add a RB at all in the draft, and probably won't before the late third/early fourth - if then. This system Perine, Johnson, Coleman, and Adams is committee enough in the Shanahan system. I strongly doubt they'll take a devalued position like RB with a premium, top 34 pick. 

Agree, the jets seem primed to take wilson at 2 and then prioritize wr/OL over rb now.  

10 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I don't get it.

2 years 17 million. 

Yet cap hits for both years equals 11 million?

17 million will be the maximum (possibly inflated) value of the deal including incentives, as reported by his agent. He would probably have to play at a very high level and win the Superbowl to earn the full $17M.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

I love Etienne but the Jets have way too many holes to fill to take a RB that high.  Especially Harris, he's 23, not a home run threat, lots of miles, just not sure you cant take a guy like that super high if you're the Jets.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Paradis said:

that's incredible.... how did we start FA with nearly the most cap, and already be that close to empty.... i feel like lots of team spent more than us... Guess i underestimate how much it took to land those first 3 names. 

We also had a lot of our own UFA guys who we resigned , which ate into that cap space a bit. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

I love Etienne but the Jets have way too many holes to fill to take a RB that high.  Especially Harris, he's 23, not a home run threat, lots of miles, just not sure you cant take a guy like that super high if you're the Jets.

I'd be shocked if they went that high with a RB. Just doesn't seem like what the system prioritizes. I'm not even sure they will take one of the UNC guys or Gainwell, even though I personally wouldn't mind that. 

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

17 million will be the maximum (possibly inflated) value of the deal including incentives, as reported by his agent. He would probably have to play at a very high level and win the Superbowl to earn the full $17M.

Then the additional 6 million would come off 2023's cap?

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Then the additional 6 million would come off 2023's cap?

I think it depends on whether they are likely to be earned (LTBE) or not likely to be earned (NLTBE) incentives.  But, yes, some would probably hit the 2023 cap.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

I don't get it.

2 years 17 million. 

Yet cap hits for both years equals 11 million?

As always...the answers are here:

https://overthecap.com/player/sheldon-rankins/4725/

Current Contract

(UFA, signed 2021)
Year Age Base Salary Prorated Bonus Roster Bonus Per Game Roster Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
2021 27 $1,000,000 $750,000 $2,000,000 $1,000,000   $3,000,000   $4,500,000 2.1%  
$4,500,000
$0
2022 ? 28 $4,500,000 $750,000 $0 $1,000,000   $0   $6,250,000 3.1%  
$750,000
$5,500,000
Total   $5,500,000 $1,500,000 $2,000,000 $2,000,000   $3,000,000   $10,750,000    

The one point that wasn't made clear is the $1M roster bonus each year is total, but accrued by game.  So it's around $60k per game, adding up to $1M if he plays all 16 (or 17) games.

Jason did make one mistake.  The Cap for 2021 adds up to $4,750,000 making it a clean $11M deal for two years, not counting incentives.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Barton said:

I'd like to hear from the people with Jets front office contacts if the Jets plan on upgrading/are considering an upgrade at RT.

Based on what I'm seeing here in free agency, it seems like the Jets are ok with Fant at RT. 

I have no front office contacts, but I think they'll be opportunistic (ex. value driven) with a position like RT.  They're obviously comfortable with Fant as a placeholder at RT.  It's not an urgent need but I think it's relatively high on the list of spots the Jets would like to upgrade.  Put it this way, if a Teven Jenkins is on the board at #34 after the Jets have already gone QB and possibly CB or WR in the 1st then I think they'd grab him depending upon who else is available.  I think one of those first 3 picks needs to be OL.

The problem isn't that the Jets have a huge hole at one particular OL spot, it's that they have Becton + 4 slightly below average players.  It would almost be easier if the Jets had one truly bad OLineman to replace rather than 4 C+ caliber guys who you want to upgrade to B+.  I think the strategy is to chip away at the problem.  It could be RT and/or OG this year and then doing the same thing next year, maybe at C or OG.

• Upvote 3

New info on the CAR (could very well be smoke, but coming from someone *very* high up in the FO)... 

Still want Watson and may sit out on QBs this year and pursue him next year if he does become available. Houston won't engage this year but CAR exec thinks he'll sit out this year. The announcement threw a huge curveball from a PR standpoint so kind of difficult to make a last ditch effort to trade before the draft. 

Response to "who you taking": Pitts, Farley, maybe Fields  

Would not elaborate on where the team stands about trading up 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

New info on the CAR (could very well be smoke, but coming from someone *very* high up in the FO)... 

Still want Watson and may sit out on QBs this year and pursue him next year if he does become available. Houston won't engage this year but CAR exec thinks he'll sit out this year. The announcement threw a huge curveball from a PR standpoint so kind of difficult to make a last ditch effort to trade before the draft. 

Response to "who you taking": Pitts, Farley, maybe Fields  

Would not elaborate on where the team stands about trading up 

So the smoke from:

Jets : We love Wilson. It’s a done deal we’re taking him. 

Panthers: We’re not even taking a QB. 

This translates to me as the Jets and Panthers are talking trade and not agreeing to compensation. 

btw- Shocked if Farley goes top 20 now. I could see him avail at 2.2

11 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

So the smoke from:

Jets : We love Wilson. It’s a done deal we’re taking him. 

Panthers: We’re not even taking a QB. 

This translates to me as the Jets and Panthers are talking trade and not agreeing to compensation. 

btw- Shocked if Farley goes top 20 now. I could see him avail at 2.2

I really don't know. For what its worth this is coming from the Panthers, not the Jets. And honestly, there's no "smoke" coming from the Jets on Wilson. It's mostly everyone else outside the organization. I trust the source who filled me in on the Jets strategy as it pertains to QB. 

As for the person in Carolina, he's very high up. Question is if he's being honest or not. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

The Seahawks are expected to part ways with defensive tackle Jarran Reed, as Adam Schefter of ESPN.com reports (via Twitter). It appears that Reed himself broke the news in a since-deleted tweet.

Per Schefter, Seattle is looking for a trade partner but will release the 28-year-old if it cannot swing a deal. Ian Rapoport of NFL.com is hearing the same thing, and RapSheet adds that Reed was seeking a long-term deal, while the Seahawks were hoping he would convert some of his 2020 salary into a signing bonus in order to reduce his $13.5MM cap number (Twitter link).

Moving on from Reed will save the ‘Hawks $8.5MM of cap space, though it will saddle the club with a $5MM dead cap hit.

Seahawks just keep getting worse 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

The Seahawks are expected to part ways with defensive tackle Jarran Reed, as Adam Schefter of ESPN.com reports (via Twitter). It appears that Reed himself broke the news in a since-deleted tweet.

Per Schefter, Seattle is looking for a trade partner but will release the 28-year-old if it cannot swing a deal. Ian Rapoport of NFL.com is hearing the same thing, and RapSheet adds that Reed was seeking a long-term deal, while the Seahawks were hoping he would convert some of his 2020 salary into a signing bonus in order to reduce his $13.5MM cap number (Twitter link).

Moving on from Reed will save the ‘Hawks $8.5MM of cap space, though it will saddle the club with a $5MM dead cap hit.

Seahawks just keep getting worse 

clapping applause GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This guy had a far bigger impact on Seattle improving a bit on D as the year went on that Jamal.

Jamaal sitting at home seeing the Jets get excellent coaching staff, signing some solid pass rushers and having a ton of Cap space this year and next plus a ton of draft capital. Will And Grace GIF by Maudit

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3