2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

14 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Sam is better than decent. Its pretty well established that he got no real chance with the the coaching and roster around him. The only reason they are even looking at the position this years draft is the money. The system and new coaching staff all like darnold. 

I think Joe likes him too actually. But Joe is the GM and might have to make the hard choice, building the roster the rigth way is tough, spending on him is a tough sell because of the situation, not because of the player.

Anyone with two eyes could seen darnold has "it". can play and make all the throws, that ireally isnt up for debate. Its just the situation might dictate we take the rook to reset the money clock.

Agree to disagree. 

I hope IF we stick with Sam Darold he can turn things around completely otherwise the NY Jets and its fan base are for another year of bad football. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Will those backups be allowed to compete with Wilson for the job, thus making Wilson EARN his #1 role, rather than be anointed?

What if Wilson breaks his leg in Camp, will those other variable backups keep the team contending and the fans interested?

In both scenarios I'd say keeping Sam is better than either giving Wilson an unearned job or playing a guy like McCown or Flacco yet again.

Be assured, this view isn;t about belief in Sam Darnold.  It's about playing the odds.

Sam is more likely to still have potential than most of the crap old man backups we tend to sign.  He is young, with upside, and enough skill to make Wilson have to really earn the job against a legit competitor, something I am amazed people don't care more about, especially given our track record of competition-free-anointed-QB's.  It could be argued that Sam himself should have had to earn the job, and maybe even sit, and that might have helped him and his career.

And in case Wilson gets hurt, no one is interested in watching 6 or 8 or 10 games of Joe Flacco or Josh McCown.  At least Sam would keep the season interesting at a minimum.

I just don't see the logic, especially for the kind of pick Sam is likely worth right now.  The "but he'll split the locker room" is bunk, Sam isn't that kind of kid and we all know it.  And if he wants his freedom, he'll likely have it soon after anyway in 2022.

It's almost like folks think new picked QB's shouldn't face ANY kind of challenge, effort or adversity of any kind.  What ever happened to belief in old ideas like competition making people stronger and better?  Be assured, if Wilson is what folks think, he'll crush Sam, earn the job, Sam will good-soldier backup for a year, and all will be well.

Nick Mullens is a better QB than Darnold and played for LaFleur already and he's 25. Stop ignoring the fact that he's still out there and then bring up names like Josh McCown or Flacco. And on a side note, Flacco is also better than Darnold. He proved that last year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Keeping Sam Darold makes zero sense if we are moving on. 

If we draft Wilson there are other viable backups available in free agency. 

You can keep Sam to start until close to the trade deadline.

See if you can increase his trade value at all, and trade him at a higher cost than now.

Let the rookie sit and learn instead of rushing him out there.

15 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Nick Mullens is a better QB than Darnold and played for LaFleur already and he's 25. Stop ignoring the fact that he's still out there and then bring up names like Josh McCown or Flacco. And on a side note, Flacco is also better than Darnold. He proved that last year. 

Agree 

19 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Nick Mullins.  Lol.  Sure choon, how could I overlook the great Nick Mullins.

Hell, it may be hard to trade Sam, why would anyone pay for Sam when they could just sign the great Nick Mullins, really?

You can tell who’s young in the media by stuff like this.

People who’ve been watching football for years realize pre salary cap you had dominant teams who were much better then everyone else.

With a hard cap now the level of talent between the best and worst teams in the league isn’t much..

Which kinda goes back to the point of how important a franchise QB is today when there isn’t a huge talent gap..

Every teams has holes even the team that won a SB because of the hard cap so you worry about getting a franchise Qb first rather then trying to fill  every hole which you can’t do anyway with a cap.

a franchise QB hides holes in other places ie Brady those last few titles with NE and Mahomes with the Chiefs 

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Hell, it may be hard to trade Sam, why would anyone pay for Sam when they could just sign the great Nick Mullins, really?

We have all watched 3 years of Sam Darnold it's been nothing but regression and mistakes over and over. 

Nick Mullens and other no names off the streets have out performed Sam Darnold. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Google is your friend

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

We have all watched 3 years of Sam Darnold it's been nothing but regression and mistakes over and over. 

Nick Mullens and other no names off the streets have out performed Sam Darnold. 

i dont know I have seen darnold despite all the shortcomings of the team make some incredible plays no qb should be asked to make. Sure he made mistakes but they are entirely due to poor coaching and game plan, and well talent around him. He is making throws other can't and WR drop. 

Im mean someone could pretend he wasn't good but there is a big diff from a qb that is actually bad and incapable of making plays and and a qb on a bad team running for his life. SB was perfect example of how even with Off talent and good coaching, lack of talent on the line can ruin everything. 

That is why the new coaching staff and Joe like Sam, he is a good player. Cards never really lined up for him, but lets not pretend he is some bum. Dude could be a baller. He has made big time plays and always a good guy with good attitude. He might not be elite or whatever but dude is def not a bad qb. 

You can say he has bad stats or whatever but the eye test showed him make good progress toward the end of rookie YEAR with the very very underwhelming coaching and talent, then gase game in and ruin him and the team throwing a run game behind gore and plays designed behind the line of scrimmage. See Tannehill, and any number of other players and teams post gase.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

i dont know I have seen darnold depsite all the shortcomings of the team make some incredible plays no qb should be asked to make. Sure he made mistakes but they are entirely due to poor coaching and gameplan, and well talent around him. He is making throws other can't and WR drop. 

Im mean someone could pretend he wasnt good but there is a big diff from a qb that is actaully bad and incapable of making plays and and a qb on a bad team running for his life. SB was perfect example of how even with Off talant and good coaching, lack of talant on the line can ruin everything. 

That is why the new coaching staff and Joe like Sam, he is a good player. Cards never really lined up for him, but lets not pretend he is some bum. Dude could be a baller. He has made big time plays and always a good guy with good attitude. He might not be elite or whatever but dude is def not a bad qb. 

You can say he has bad stats or whatever but the eye test showed him make good progress toward the end of rookie contract with the very very underwhelming coaching and talent, then gase game in and ruin him and the team throwing a run game behind gore and plays designed behind the line of scrimmage. See Tannehill, and any number of other players and teams post gase.

I am a Sam Darnold fan but the mental mistakes he makes you can't blame on coaching or other players. 

If he remains lets all hope he can fix all that's wrong. 

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:
I don’t think that’s off the table.

Gerry Levine

@gerrylev
Replying to @DanGrazianoESPN
If the Jets can't get something significant for Darnold what is the possibility they don't trade him and set up a QB competition?

You don't setup a QB competition with the 2nd pick in the draft. If Wilson is picked at 2, get rid of Darnold.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I am a Sam Darnold fan but the mental mistakes he makes you can't blame on coaching or other players. 

If he remains lets all hope he can fix all that's wrong. 

running for your life is not a mental mistake..it was jsut reality...no one being open, again realtiy...he was given a bad hand from the start.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

i dont know I have seen darnold despite all the shortcomings of the team make some incredible plays no qb should be asked to make. Sure he made mistakes but they are entirely due to poor coaching and game plan, and well talent around him. He is making throws other can't and WR drop. 

Im mean someone could pretend he wasn't good but there is a big diff from a qb that is actually bad and incapable of making plays and and a qb on a bad team running for his life. SB was perfect example of how even with Off talent and good coaching, lack of talent on the line can ruin everything. 

You can say he has bad stats or whatever but the eye test showed him make good progress toward the end of rookie YEAR with the very very underwhelming coaching and talent, then gase game in and ruin him and the team throwing a run game behind gore and plays designed behind the line of scrimmage. See Tannehill, and any number of other players and teams post gase.

Sam does make some incredible off schedule plays.  But he is not a good QB. There is literally nothing to suggest he is other than his original draft evaluations.

He is literally ranked 36th of 32 QBs in the NFL. Which means his performance on the field is worse than 4 backup QBs.

In 3 years he has not learned to read defenses or recognize coverages or blitzes.

In 3 years he still routinely throws interceptable balls.

In 3 years he has shown no ability to throw deep

In 3 years he has not shown an ability to stay healthy

In 3 years he has not shown a consistent ability to go through his reads

Our OL sucks but he also takes a lot of unnecessary sacks

I really like Sam. He seems like a good guy and I think he cares. I would love for him to succeed. But that ship has sailed with the Jets.. 

Yes he played with a poor supporting staff but many of his weaknesses have nothing to do with the players around him. Not to sound harsh but he does not really seem to understand football, and his decision making is just awful

There was a thing on Mims and how his stats were not that great but if you look at the tape he was wide open all the time and Sam never looked his way.

What exactly other than sandlot plays do you think Sam is good at?

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 3/28/2021 at 1:44 PM, choon328 said:

I would say the vast majority of people who get paid to scout college players think Wilson is a franchise QB. So then the answer is obvious. You draft Wilson. 

If it was so obvious,  there wouldn't be 300 threads on this site arguing about it for the past three months...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Sam does make some incredible off schedule plays.  But he is not a good QB. There is literally nothing to suggest he is other than his original draft evaluations.

He is literally ranked 36th of 32 QBs in the NFL. Which means his performance on the field is worse than 4 backup QBs.

In 3 years he has not learned to read defenses or recognize coverages or blitzes.

In 3 years he still routinely throws interceptable balls.

In 3 years he has shown no ability to throw deep

In 3 years he has not shown an ability to stay healthy

In 3 years he has not shown a consistent ability to go through his reads

Our OL sucks but he also takes a lot of unnecessary sacks

I really like Sam. He seems like a good guy and I think he cares. I would love for him to succeed. But that ship has sailed with the Jets.. 

Yes he played with a poor supporting staff but many of his weaknesses have nothing to do with the players around him. Not to sound harsh but he does not really seem to understand football, and his decision making is just awful

There was a thing on Mims and how his stats were not that great but if you look at the tape he was wide open all the time and Sam never looked his way.

What exactly other than sandlot plays do you think Sam is good at?

The whole 3 years statements are over exaggerations and you know it. Look im not saying he was great but looking at his play in whole, not judt two or three plays a game where he is given no help...you see him read def, make good choices only to be robbed by drops or sacks etc...

Look he for sure had had bad plays but that much diff than being bad. Brady and mahomes have bad plays... literally two of three bad plays but the team didn't lose because the team was good coaching was good etc and they over came the adversity.

I hope we trade Sam to the Broncos.  That would be a decent destination for him.  Give him time to lick his wounds.  In a QB room that isn't going to sit him on his butt for too many years if he cleans his play up.  Sticking point may be what they want to give up.  But I think a third would be fair compensation.  The talk that we might sit on Sam till next season is bull.  Sam's gone by, or on, draft day.

• Upvote 1

When is Ohio State's football pro day?

• Date:  Tuesday, March 30
  • Time:  6 p.m. ET

Ohio State's pro day will take place on Tuesday night at 6 p.m., just ahead of prime time. The No. 1 player to watch will be QB Justin Fields, as he looks to cement himself as a potential top-10 pick. He's jockeying for draft positioning with Alabama's Mac Jones and North Dakota State's Trey Lance and is likely in the mix for the No. 3 pick that is now held by the San Francisco 49ers.

How to watch Ohio State pro day workouts

• TV channel: NFL Network
  • Live stream: fuboTV

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

Zach Wilson wasn’t the only standout at BYU pro day last week. Former Cougars WR Micah Simon -- undrafted last year after COVID wiped out his pro day -- caught passes from Wilson, ran a reported 4.34 40-yard dash … and signed today with the #Panthers, per source.

• Upvote 1

Sam Darnold trade rumors: Price for Jets QB sits at a third-round pick, per report

WRITTEN BYJOE RIVERA

Florham Park is open for business, and there's a sale on Sam Darnold.

The Jets, sitting at the No. 2 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, are presumably staying at No. 2 overall because that would be the organizationally wise thing to do. That means 2018 No. 3 overall pick Sam Darnold is an expendable part, and he might not be as costly as originally thought.

Rightsholder Icon

ESPN's Kimberley A. Martin reports that the price for Sam Darnold sits around a third-round pick right now, with a "maybe" on third or even a conditional fourth rounder.

MORE: What the 49ers trade up means for the Jets

The price has dropped from Adam Schefter's semi-speculative first-round pick that he set earlier in the offseason, and it makes sense why.

While Darnold's option year is set at $18.8 million guaranteed, that's still a fair amount of money for a quarterback who's been one of the statistical worst in the NFL since entering in 2018. A team trading for him would only be on the hook for around $5 million in 2021, per OverTheCap.

Darnold's market, too, appears to be diminishing: While rumors attached him to the Bears, Colts, 49ers and others earlier in the offseason, those teams have largely figured out their quarterback position heading into the draft. 

Recent reports indicate that the Panthers and Broncos could still check in on Darnold, but with the NFL Draft at the end of the month and both teams within trade-up striking distance to take a quarterback, they may wait on the draft to take a QB.

SI's Albert Breer reported on Monday that the Steelers also could be involved in a Darnold deal, potentially to back up Ben Roethlisberger as he enters the presumable final year or two of his career.

So, as we head into the last bit of the pro days, expect the Jets and GM Joe Douglas to make the Darnold decision soon.

image.gif

Former Jets OL Josh Andrews to sign with Falcons

USATSI_15224414-e1614311710723.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
March 30, 2021 8:40 am

Backup offensive lineman Josh Andrews won’t be returning to the Jets in 2021. The guard signed with the Falcons on a one-year deal, according to his agent, Brett Tessler. The terms of the deal were not disclosed but Tessler said it included guaranteed money.

Andrews was primary a depth lineman for the Jets in 2020 after coming over from Philadephia during the offseason. He did start four games for the Jets in Week 7 and Weeks 13-16 but finished with a paltry 41.2 Pro Football Focus grade and an 18.1 pass-blocking grade.

It didn’t make sense for the Jets to bring back Andrews after signing guard Dan Feeney in free agency. He should fill in the role Andrews played last year as a backup who could start if needed at guard or center.

20 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

He made bigger progress under Gase the last 8 games of his 2nd year and it led to nothing in his 3rd year. 

The amount of people willing to just give Darnold a complete pass for the last 2 years of horrid play is amazing.

Does he have elite talent? Yes.

Does he possess even average football IQ once the ball is snapped? NO.

This isn't about his talent level, it's about what's in between his ears. Either he's not smart enough or doesn't work hard enough. It's either one or both. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He made bigger progress under Gase the last 8 games of his 2nd year and it led to nothing in his 3rd year. 

The amount of people willing to just give Darnold a complete pass for the last 2 years of horrid play is amazing.

This isn't about his talent level, it's about what's in between his ears. Either he's not smart enough or doesn't work hard enough. It's either one or both. 

3 years of mental mistakes and bad decisions has nothing to do with coaching or other players on the team. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Rich Cimini stated on his podcast today that he's hearing more and more that Coach Saleh is truly high on Sam Darnold's ability. ?
If a bidding war between Atlanta and Carolina tales place and one throws a great package at JD, he may have to take it especially if his new coach wants 14. We'll see what happens ??‍♂️

Just saw this on FB...this woudl be my ideal situation...
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

3 years of mental mistakes and bad decisions has nothing to do with coaching or other players on the team. 

I can not disagree with you guys any more than I already do. I mean you watched the games, how can you seriously pretend that Gase and coaching staff were not directly responsible for Darbold bad play. You have seen Tannehill going on and play great, same deal great talent ruined by Gase poor coaching and game plans.

You look at darnold and see all the talent but think he somehow just doesn't have the smarts to play qb? even though you have seen him win games and make plays? THANK GOD you guys are not in charge of the roster or team in anyway because that is the kind of thinking that will ruin a team. 

And the problem is was not some huge secret, anyone with a pair of eyes could see the problem was gase just like in Miami and just liek anywhere else he will go.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

6 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:
Rich Cimini stated on his podcast today that he's hearing more and more that Coach Saleh is truly high on Sam Darnold's ability. ?
If a bidding war between Atlanta and Carolina tales place and one throws a great package at JD, he may have to take it especially if his new coach wants 14. We'll see what happens ??‍♂️

If I had to make a prediction, I think Zach Wilson at times will look very good as an NFL QB.  

I just think the Myles Garretts of the NFL are going to rip his head off. I think he will be injured alot.

Just my gut feeling. 

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, choon328 said:

um I disagree but ok, lets say he did show great progress in those 8 game - what is your point? that Gase failed to coach him up or give him a shot to grow? That is my point. I think you guys argued for me?

I don't give him a pass on anything, i just recognize the situation and see how he his talent has been wasted.

He has above ave Football IQ, - have you watched any games he has played in? ??? 

This whole idea he isnt smart enough to play is ridiculous. So you are telling me that he is too stupid to play? absurd.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

If I had to make a prediction, I think Zach Wilson at times will look very good as an NFL QB.  

I just think the Myles Garretts of the NFL are going to rip his head off. I think he will be injured alot.

Just my gut feeling. 

Behind a bad line this will be very true no matter where he goes. I think you are right. We have seen how much better sam played this past year with minimal help on the line as compared to the year before. We saw mahomes with no line get destroyed wihth no line, hell you beat brady with pressure....one truth we can all agree with even these darnold haters like @Joewillie12, any qb with no protection will not play well. Add in a coach who doesnt scheme with extra blockers or quick routes to help that qb is in even worse shape - story of darnolds career.

Just now, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I can not disagree with you guys any more than I already do. I mean you watched the games, how can you seriously pretend that Gase and coaching staff were not directly responsible for Darbold bad play.

Because some of Sam's biggest flaws (erratic decision-making, poor footwork, turnovers under pressure) in year 3 are the same flaws he had coming out of USC.  The only thing that seems to have (inexplicably) gotten worse over time (at least to me) is his deep ball accuracy.  You can't just absolve Sam of all accountability for his poor play in his third NFL season. That's just not how life works. 

And again, Tannehill was a million times better in Miami under Gase than Sam was here under Gase. 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

In terms of self preservation JD may want to explain to ownership that the eval between taking Wilson and keeping Darnold is relatively close, and even though he prefers Wilson (including for the rookie contract) he will support his new Head Coach in Saleh's preference to roll with Darnold.

If there's a true haul of picks available to the Jets for #2 and they take it, I'd have no problem, if it's done in large part to support the new HC and LaFleur is saying, "I can work with Sam.  He's a great fit.  He'll be successful."

The challenge for the Jets and Douglas of course is what if it doesn't work.  If Sam does not improve in 2021, but the Jets still win something like 5 games then they'll be on the outside looking in at QBs again.  We'd be in the same situation Macc was in as he treaded water with Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh McCown, etc. and had to make the power move up to #3 for Sam.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

NYJ posturing because the 49ers exposed the plan prematurely ??

• Upvote 1