2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

um I disagree but ok, lets say he did show great progress in those 8 game - what is your point? that Gase failed to coach him up or give him a shot to grow? That is my point. I think you guys argued for me?

I don't give him a pass on anything, i just recognize the situation and see how he his talent has been wasted.

He has above ave Football IQ, - have you watched any games he has played in? ??? 

This whole idea he isnt smart enough to play is ridiculous. So you are telling me that he is too stupid to play? absurd.

He does not process the field quick enough. That is obvious to anybody who has watched every game he's played in. Does he have great moments? Yep. But the negative has far outweighed the positive and the mental part of the game is something that he has control over. Understanding defenses and coverage pre and post snap and recognizing where to go with the ball is all under his control. His limited ability to do that so far is on him, not the HC. This isn't high school, he should know how to break down film and to identify keys to coverages for every defense he plays and to identify where he's going with the ball pre snap, then recognize any post snap change in the coverage and go elsewhere with the ball. 

There's a reason guys like Fitz have had success in this league without elite traits. It's bc they are smart enough to process what's in front of them quickly as the play develops. There is a reason why Flacco looked much better than Darnold when he played. It's not bc of his arm or athletic ability. It was bc of his football IQ.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Behind a bad line this will be very true no matter where he goes. I think you are right. We have seen how much better sam played this past year with minimal help on the line as compared to the year before. We saw mahomes with no line get destroyed wihth no line, hell you beat brady with pressure....one truth we can all agree with even these darnold haters like @Joewillie12, any qb with no protection will not play well. Add in a coach who doesnt scheme with extra blockers or quick routes to help that qb is in even worse shape - story of darnolds career.

??????? Not sure if you meant me but from the thumbs down vote I think you did. 

I have supported Sam Darold since day 1 I actually still support him and feel bad for the kid but there is no excuse for being a bad QB who plays bad football and makes bad decisions. 

The missed passes the INT's the dumb decisions with the football the ghosts that's all on Sam Darnold. 

The perfect scenario would be this season Sam Darnold new QB new HC and we have all those draft picks we could really build a competitive team. 

But without the QB not happening. 

• Upvote 1

NFL teams can commence Phase 1 of OTAs Monday, April 19

By
 Ryan Honey
 - 
 03/30/2021
nfl (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

The NFL has announced a big step towards fully bringing back the offseason program after last year’s absence.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Network reports the league has notified teams they can begin Phase 1 of OTAs (organized team activities) on Monday, April 19. Conversations in regard to whether in-person or virtual meetings will occur are ongoing.

In a normal year, teams with new head coaches — for example, the Jets with Robert Saleh — could’ve started the OTA period on Monday.

A normal offseason period did not take place in 2020 due to the rise of the COVID-19 pandemic. Given a vaccine is now present and the NFL is more prepared to work around the pandemic, the league is taking a big step toward returning to normalcy.

This isn’t the first major step though.

The league recently announced the 2021 NFL Draft will be held in Cleveland, Ohio with a limited number of prospects, media, and fans permitted to attend. This is in comparison to last offseason’s virtual version of the event in which prospects, whether it was No. 1 overall pick Joe Burrow or Mr. Irrelevant Tae Crowder, watched from home with family and/or friends.

It’s unclear how the training camp period will play out in 2021. Obviously it will occur just like it did last year, but we’ve yet to hear of any major protocol-related changes in order for players, coaches, and personnel to remain safe. Of course, that time period is still months away from the present day.

The preseason will likely return after undergoing a coronavirus-related cancellation in 2020. However, due to the planned schedule change, there will only be three exhibition games for teams instead of the usual four. This coincides with the regular season’s expansion from 16 to 17 games.

On 3/28/2021 at 11:16 AM, Beerfish said:

If Douglas drafts a QB at #2 and does not use 2 picks on olineman before the end of the 3rd round he is simply dumbass mcaganan all over again.

No matter what they do at QB the Jets *have* to use this draft (and the next) to build the OL. We've seen that not many good OL hit free agency and when they do they are insanely expensive.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He does not process the field quick enough. That is obvious to anybody who has watched every game he's played in. Does he have great moments? Yep. But the negative has far outweighed the positive and the mental part of the game is something that he has control over. Understanding defenses and coverage pre and post snap and recognizing where to go with the ball is all under his control. His limited ability to do that so far is on him, not the HC. This isn't high school, he should know how to break down film and to identify keys to coverages for every defense he plays and to identify where he's going with the ball pre snap, then recognize any post snap change in the coverage and go elsewhere with the ball. 

There's a reason guys like Fitz have had success in this league without elite traits. It's bc they are smart enough to process what's in front of them quickly as the play develops. There is a reason why Flacco looked much better than Darnold when he played. It's not bc of his arm or athletic ability. It was bc of his football IQ.

ok so your comments show me your just trolling. 

Darnold has great moments check - you mean like he understand and identifies coverages and identifies where he is going to go? One of the few compliments darnold does get is making progressions...those plays he makes happen, usually are first guys open - throws ball behind line of for 5 yards, guys is tackled. (poor play design) The other is progresses down the line and no one is open and runs for life or get sacked/int or throws ball and WR drops pass.

You are talking about presnap reads while ignoring the fact that in the gase system that does not make sure of simple motion to identify def coverages - you are basically asking someone to tell you the future with out the crystal ball. The crystal ball in this situation is not some mystical ancient unknown mystery - it is a basic offensive principal that coaches have been using for decades - but not us because well Adam Gase.

Fitz is on his 10 team because he doesn't make good read and just slings it. He has arm talent and he just throws it up. Great for fantasy not so much a team. One of his few good season was with the Jets thanks to decker and marshal - again proving the point you need good talent around a qb. 

And FLACCO looked way worse than Darnold. This is where I know you are trolling. SO flacco and Fitz are great bu sam sucks, give me a break

• Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

??????? Not sure if you meant me but from the thumbs down vote I think you did. 

I have supported Sam Darold since day 1 I actually still support him and feel bad for the kid but there is no excuse for being a bad QB who plays bad football and makes bad decisions. 

The missed passes the INT's the dumb decisions with the football the ghosts that's all on Sam Darnold. 

The perfect scenario would be this season Sam Darnold new QB new HC and we have all those draft picks we could really build a competitive team. 

But without the QB not happening. 

haha yeah I meant you, you have become a hater going with the crowd and the in thing to do - bash young Sam!

You literally used the ghost quote against him - that game and quote comes from a QB that was not coached up and provided any help. Literally evidence contrary to your assertion of dumb decisions by sam for low IQ. Every QB in the league and on every level of play see's "ghosts" it is a well known description when you are underprepared for a defense. THAT IS COACHING!! and lets not pretend it takes a leap of faith to imagine that ADAM GASE didn't prepare sam. He never prepared any part of the team for any game they played. Ever. Even against 3 string teams completely hurt.

I don't mean it in a bad I hate you kind of way just a woa man I cant believe you bought into this anit sam crap. Your perfect scenario is the scenario we are in right now, SAM is the qb and we have a boat load of picks thanks to Joe D getting rid of admas etc. We can build a good team around him and have already started that.

Thanks to having a good GM we are flexible, in trading back, building and keep sam or some scenario of picking a QB in the draft and abandoning sam. 

All Im trying to say is Sam is good, his play reflects that, all the criticism of him usually points to him being a good player with no help. i.e. seeing ghosts... taking sacks with no one open etc. 

So lets not try to rationalize getting rid of sam due to some made up he is bad player stuff. Just be honest about it, if we go anothe direction it is because the jets want a new start, the HC and staff agrees that they can make sam work and he has talent. You can say that and still move on. You don't have to trash a guy that despite all the terrible decisions, bad coaching and everything else, he has always been good team mate and NY JET. Never trashing the team. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

ok so your comments show me your just trolling. 

Darnold has great moments check - you mean like he understand and identifies coverages and identifies where he is going to go? One of the few compliments darnold does get is making progressions...those plays he makes happen, usually are first guys open - throws ball behind line of for 5 yards, guys is tackled. (poor play design) The other is progresses down the line and no one is open and runs for life or get sacked/int or throws ball and WR drops pass.

You are talking about presnap reads while ignoring the fact that in the gase system that does not make sure of simple motion to identify def coverages - you are basically asking someone to tell you the future with out the crystal ball. The crystal ball in this situation is not some mystical ancient unknown mystery - it is a basic offensive principal that coaches have been using for decades - but not us because well Adam Gase.

Fitz is on his 10 team because he doesn't make good read and just slings it. He has arm talent and he just throws it up. Great for fantasy not so much a team. One of his few good season was with the Jets thanks to decker and marshal - again proving the point you need good talent around a qb. 

And FLACCO looked way worse than Darnold. This is where I know you are trolling. SO flacco and Fitz are great bu sam sucks, give me a break

Oh God lol. You can't convince me that a guy has above average football intelligence when he's run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage multiple times instead of throwing the ball out of bounds. I know you're President of his fan club but even you have to see that.

And Fitz and Flacco are JAG's at this point but are still better than Darnold which puzzles me why he gets so much love. 

Re-watch the last 2 games Flacco started. That was the best the offense moved the ball all season long. The offensive line let up 2 combined sacks combined in those games. The offense averaged 27.5 pts those 2 games. Flacco had 5 tds and 2 int with a QB Rating of 102.6.

What did Darnold do the following 6 games after the offense and Flacco had their best 2 games? 6 tds, 5 int, QB Rating 80.2, took 2.5 sacks per game, team averaged 7.8 points per game. 

What are the other excuses you're going to come up with?

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

haha yeah I meant you, you have become a hater going with the crowd and the in thing to do - bash young Sam!

Im a leader not a follower. 

Sam Darnold the QB has been very bad here no excuses in football. 

Thats on him not me. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Oh God lol. You can't convince me that a guy has above average football intelligence when he's run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage multiple times instead of throwing the ball out of bounds. I know you're President of his fan club but even you have to see that.

And Fitz and Flacco are JAG's at this point but are still better than Darnold which puzzles me why he gets so much love. 

Re-watch the last 2 games Flacco started. That was the best the offense moved the ball all season long. The offensive line let up 2 combined sacks combined in those games. The offense averaged 27.5 pts those 2 games. Flacco had 5 tds and 2 int with a QB Rating of 102.6.

What did Darnold do the following 6 games after the offense and Flacco had their best 2 games? 6 tds, 5 int, QB Rating 80.2, took 2.5 sacks per game, team averaged 7.8 points per game. 

What are the other excuses you're going to come up with?

yeah but Context!!!

look Im not trying to be the pres of the fan club but I will be voice of reason, he is not trash not worst qb in the league etc. He might still get shipped but it was gase and no talent that is ending his time here in NY not his IQ. run out of bounce is what 3 of 100 plays? Run out of bounce because maybe he was trying to use his legs or make a play, giving his team eveyr opportunity to get open etc?

And flacco and fitz are jags sure, but not better than darnold no way. If you watch those game you can see all of a sudden the game plan was different wasn't it? hmmm I think the exact quote by the announcers were why didn't they run any of this earlier in the year. 

It not excuses it is just facts. Game plan and coaching matter. Darbnold didn't get crap. Some suspect that Flacco as the vet just told gase he wasn't going to run certain plays, this unfortunately was not something Sam or Tanny before him was able to do in response to gase piss poor coaching...they were rooks and towed the party line.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im a leader not a follower. 

Sam Darnold the QB has been very bad here no excuses in football. 

Thats on him not me. 

fari enough but it sure seem that you are following the crowd and accepting the ridiculous premise that Sam is a bad player. 

Let me ask you if he is so bad, then why is he still a JET? why does the new coaching staff like him? I mean he is just so bad it doesnt make sense does it? Dont listen to the haters Man. Sam is good and gase was the problem. You know that.

Just now, BornJetsFan1983 said:

fari enough but it sure seem that you are following the crowd and accepting the ridiculous premise that Sam is a bad player. 

Let me ask you if he is so bad, then why is he still a JET? why does the new coaching staff like him? I mean he is just so bad it doesnt make sense does it? Dont listen to the haters Man. Sam is good and gase was the problem. You know that.

I like Sam Darold wish he cold turn it all around I'm not following any crowd i'm giving you my opinion. 

My guess is the JD thought or thinks he can actually get more than anticipated for him and maybe they aren't sold on any of the QB's in the draft. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I like Sam Darold wish he cold turn it all around I'm not following any crowd i'm giving you my opinion. 

My guess is the JD thought or thinks he can actually get more than anticipated for him and maybe they aren't sold on any of the QB's in the draft. 

hmmm....ok fine if you say that is your opinion it is, who am i to say, I just know that blaming sam the way you do is odd considering you agreement with all the other issues the team has had with gase etc.

But someone else posted this, saying that Joe might like WIlson but doesn't see a big difference between him and Sam, so since the coaching staff likes sam, he will make the trade back if offered. I think that is the best scenario and one you agree with.

Welcome back to team SAM

25 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

yeah but Context!!!

look Im not trying to be the pres of the fan club but I will be voice of reason, he is not trash not worst qb in the league etc. He might still get shipped but it was gase and no talent that is ending his time here in NY not his IQ. run out of bounce is what 3 of 100 plays? Run out of bounce because maybe he was trying to use his legs or make a play, giving his team eveyr opportunity to get open etc?

And flacco and fitz are jags sure, but not better than darnold no way. If you watch those game you can see all of a sudden the game plan was different wasn't it? hmmm I think the exact quote by the announcers were why didn't they run any of this earlier in the year. 

It not excuses it is just facts. Game plan and coaching matter. Darbnold didn't get crap. Some suspect that Flacco as the vet just told gase he wasn't going to run certain plays, this unfortunately was not something Sam or Tanny before him was able to do in response to gase piss poor coaching...they were rooks and towed the party line.

You're just making stuff up now. And no, he wasn't trying to run he literally went sideways out of bounds. 

50 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

hmmm....ok fine if you say that is your opinion it is, who am i to say, I just know that blaming sam the way you do is odd considering you agreement with all the other issues the team has had with gase etc.

But someone else posted this, saying that Joe might like WIlson but doesn't see a big difference between him and Sam, so since the coaching staff likes sam, he will make the trade back if offered. I think that is the best scenario and one you agree with.

Welcome back to team SAM

So you are saying that all of Sam Darnold's issues are too blame on the coaching staff and the team nothing is on him. 

42 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So you are saying that all of Sam Darnold's issues are too blame on the coaching staff and the team nothing is on him. 

He is not blame free. Neither is Douglas. And here’s the thing, they both have admitted they could have done better. 

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Both Gase and Darnold sucked

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Yeah pretty much. I mean in term of being seen as a starting caliber better than avert qb.

Every qb makes bad throws, or non throws, darnold is no different, but that doesn't make him a bad qb.

Seems pretty obvit to me.

22 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

3 years of mental mistakes and bad decisions has nothing to do with coaching or other players on the team. 

I largely agree with this but we need to keep several things in mind.  The talent around him wasn't just poor (many of the guys he's played with either aren't starters anywhere in the NFL or aren't even in the NFL anymore), but that the talent was constantly in flux.  Consistency was a huge problem IMO.

In a league where QBs can take time to find a rythm with guys even after spending the entire offseason throwing with them Sam Darnold faced several challenges, especially in 2020.  1) Two of the Jets three leading WRs left the team (Robby Anderson, Demaryius Thomas), 2) There was a diminished offseason due to COVID and little time to practice with the replacements, Perriman and rookie Mims, 3) Perriman got hurt in Camp and couldn't start the season, missed several games 4) Mims got hurt in Camp and couldn't start the season, missed many games, 5) The Jets beginning WR1 (excluding Jamison Crowder in the slot) was signed about 6 weeks before the season started, Chris Hogan, 6) Chris Herndon was a shell of his former self and dropped balls all year, 7) Our RB1 quickly became 82 year old Frank Gore.  I'm making the argument that not only did the Jets have an almost historically bad roster, it was constantly in flux.  I can still see TE Daniel Brown in my mind turning the wrong way on a route that lead to Darnold throwing an interception.  The ball went where it was supposed to go.... Daniel Brown uhhh, didn't.  The guy had been signed something like two weeks earlier.

None of this excuses some of Sam's bonehead plays or missed reads.  Although, I do blame some of that on the coaching because Gase seemed to want to control Darnold too much, almost like a guy playing Madden.  I think the progressions and direction given by Gase hurt the quarterback.  Darnold was much different in his two years under Gase than he was in his first year under Bowles/Bates.  The argument that there was bad talent and bad coaching around the QB is heavily supported by the fact that Darnold's backups were 0-10 when starting while he was out.  Darnold had a pretty damn bad QBR according to ESPN (ranked 36th, he was 12 spots higher at 24th as rookie in 2018 prior to Gase) .... and Flacco was 10 spots lower on the list (46th).  No QB was succeeding with this Jets team the past two years.

All I'm saying is let's be careful saying things like the quarterbacks bad play had "nothing to do" with coaching or other players.  It's a team sport, not golf.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I largely agree with this but we need to keep several things in mind.  The talent around him wasn't just poor (many of the guys he's played with either aren't starters anywhere in the NFL or aren't even in the NFL anymore), that the talent was constantly in flux.  Consistency was a huge problem IMO.

In a league where QBs can take time to find a rythm with guys even after spending the entire offseason throwing with them Sam Darnold faced several challenges, especially in 2020.  1) Two of the Jets three leading WRs left the team (Robby Anderson, Demaryius Thomas), 2) There was a diminished offseason due to COVID and little time to practice with the replacements, Perriman and rookie Mims, 3) Perriman got hurt in Camp and couldn't start the season, missed several games 4) Mims got hurt in Camp and couldn't start the season, missed many games, 5) The Jets beginning WR1 (excluding Jamison Crowder in the slot) was signed about 6 weeks before the season started, Chris Hogan, 6) Chris Herndon was a shell of his former self and dropped balls all year, 7) Our RB1 quickly became 82 year old Frank Gore.  I'm making the argument that not only did the Jets have an almost historically bad roster, it was constantly in flux.  I can still see TE Daniel Brown in my mind turning the wrong way on a route that lead to Darnold throwing an interception.  The ball went where it was supposed to go.... Daniel Brown uhhh, didn't.  The guy had been signed something like two weeks earlier.

None of this excuses some of Sam's bonehead plays or missed reads.  Although, I do blame some of that on the coaching because Gase seemed to want to control Darnold too much, almost like a guy playing Madden.  I think the progressions and direction given to Gase hurt the quarterback.  Darnold was much different in his two years under Gase than he was in his first year under Boles/Bates.  The argument that there was bad talent and bad coaching around the QB is heavily supported by the fact that Darnold's backups were 0-10 when starting while he was out.  Darnold had a pretty damn bad QBR according to ESPN (ranked 36th, he was 12 spots higher at 24th as rookie in 2018 prior to Gase) .... and Flacco was 10 spots lower on the list (46th).  No QB was succeeding with this Jets team the past two years.

All I'm saying is let's be careful saying things like the quarterbacks bad play had "nothing to do" with coaching or other players.  It's a team sport, not golf.

This is 100% why Sam needs to go and take his excuses with him. I could understand if this was a legit 100% identical Rosen situation. While similar it’s very different being that Josh was coming off his rookie year in a terrible situation, Sam is going into his fourth. 

Truthfully you can take all the negative traits people apply to Fields and add in turnover and injury prone and you have Sam Darnold. Just with a weaker arm and less athletic 

Titans sign former Jets safety/special teamer Matthias Farley

1293333037-e1613881126330.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
March 31, 2021 8:30 am

The Jets lost a key special teams player and backup safety to the Titans on Tuesday.

Tennessee signed Matthias Farley to a one-year deal, per the team website, for an undisclosed amount of money. The veteran spent the last two years with the Jets, where he tallied 30 tackles and three defended passes in just 204 defensive snaps and two starts. Farley mostly played special teams for the Jets – he saw 218 snaps in 2019 before playing in 314 in 2020 – and led the team with eight special teams tackles last season.

Farley was one of Joe Douglas’ first waiver wire pickups as Jets general manager, but he became expendable after New York signed Justin Hardee this offseason.