2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

Steve Young Says Zach Wilson Is 49ers' 'No. 1 Choice' at QB in 2021 NFL Draft

PAUL KASABIANAPRIL 2, 2021103

b1d0ulxzgqcyie5gbkad.jpg
AP Photo/Rick Bowmer

Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback and Pro Football Hall of Famer Steve Young said Wednesday on KNBR Sports Radio's Tolbert, Krueger and Brooks podcast (h/t Joe Rivera of Sporting Newsthat his old team's No. 1 signal-caller choice in the 2021 NFL draft is BYU's Zach Wilson.

"There's no question in my mind, if [the 49ers] can figure out how to get Zach, that's their No. 1 first choice," Young said. 

"I just don't know how they get it done. The Jets have committed to Zach and recruited the family. I just don't know how that gets undone, but you know, look, a lot can happen."

Young added: "I think Zach would love it, the family would love it [if Wilson joins the 49ers], nothing would make anyone happier," Young said. "I think the 49ers, that's their unstated first choice, so that would be wonderful. If it can happen, they would figure it out."

The 49ers traded with the Miami Dolphins to move up from the 12th to the third pick in the 2021 draft. There's been plenty of chatter regarding what the 49ers may do, including selecting Alabama's Mac Jones or North Dakota State's Trey Lance. 

There hasn't been as much talk connecting Ohio State's Justin Fields to the 49ers, but many think highly of the ex-Buckeye's pro potential, with the B/R NFL Scouting Department placing him second overall on its big board.

Wilson to the 49ers is new, especially considering all the talk connecting the former BYU signal-caller to the New York Jets at No. 2. 

Dane Brugler of The Athletic notably received a text from a scout saying that the draft would start at No. 3 with Wilson going No. 2 (and the Jacksonville Jaguars almost certainly taking Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence).

Ultimately, the 49ers' interest appears all for nothing at the moment, but we'll find out what goes down in four weeks with the first round occurring on Thursday, April 29.

19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

PFF Rank: 2

Don't believe everything you read or hear in the months leading up to the draft. The Jets haven't publicly shared their plans or confirmed any whispers about their quarterback situation. 

According to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, the Jets may draft a quarterback with the No. 2 overall pick and keep Darnold on the roster. 

Yeah, right. 

Joe Douglas didn't draft Darnold, but he's had two years to evaluate him as the team's general manager. 

Since 2019, Darnold has thrown for 28 touchdowns and 24 interceptions while completing 60.9 percent of his passes. We should acknowledge his subpar supporting casts, but he's made questionable decisions in the pocket, which have led to a high turnover rate. Expect Gang Green to move forward with a prospect who has a higher ceiling. 

Zach Wilson's combination of accuracy and mobility allowed him to shoot up draft boards this past season. Not only did he complete 73.5 percent of his passes, but the BYU standout throws a pinpoint deep ball, logging a 72 percent accuracy rate on attempts 20-plus yards downfield in 2020, per Pro Football Focus

As the Jets build their roster, Wilson seems equipped to handle moving parts around him.

Unlike Darnold, Wilson isn't a turnover-prone quarterback. He's also poised under duress, going through this past season with zero turnover-worthy plays while under pressure, per PFF.

During his collegiate career, Wilson underwent shoulder and handsurgeries. Barring serious injury at the pro level, he could become a special player.

Joe, what's the source of this article?

So for those in need of a good laugh, I was listening to Sirius NFL radio and they did a mock draft. They had Jets trading away the #2 pick to the 49ers for the #3 pick, #155 (5th rounder), Garoppolo and Javon Kinlaw who was the #14th pick in the 1st round 2020 to move up that one sweet spot.  Of course this is not the same situation to what the Bears gave up to the Niners to grab Trubisky.  The Niners were apparently set with Garoppolo and weren't drafting a QB so there was no risk in dropping back a spot.  While the Niners are giving up considerably more draft capital than the Bears did in the 2017 trade, this would be a horrific trade for the Jets.  

The difference between #2 and #3 is 2600 vs. 2200 or 400 points. That's about a mid 2nd round pick - normally.  Kinlaw alone is worth 1100 points as a 1st round #14 pick.  They reasoned that Garoppolo could challenge Darnold for the starting job and if Sammy boy doesn't win it, then cut him.   How this trade makes any sense whatsoever, on numerous levels, is beyond me.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

So for those in need of a good laugh, I was listening to Sirius NFL radio and they did a mock draft. They had Jets trading away the #2 pick to the 49ers for the #3 pick, #155 (5th rounder), Garoppolo and Javon Kinlaw who was the #14th pick in the 1st round 2020 to move up that one sweet spot.  Of course this is not the same situation to what the Bears gave up to the Niners to grab Trubisky.  The Niners were apparently set with Garoppolo and weren't drafting a QB so there was no risk in dropping back a spot.  While the Niners are giving up considerably more draft capital than the Bears did in the 2017 trade, this would be a horrific trade for the Jets.  

The difference between #2 and #3 is 2600 vs. 2200 or 400 points. That's about a mid 2nd round pick - normally.  Kinlaw alone is worth 1100 points as a 1st round #14 pick.  They reasoned that Garoppolo could challenge Darnold for the starting job and if Sammy boy doesn't win it, then cut him.   How this trade makes any sense whatsoever, on numerous levels, is beyond me.  

Agreed.  That's a sh1t show of a trade for the Jets.

Darnold vs. Garoppolo?  My god.

And why would the Jets want Kinlaw? I know he's only heading into Year 2 of his deal and he had a good (but not spectacular) rookie season, but this team has Quinnen Williams, just signed Rankins, and has decent depth at DT with Foley, JFM, etc.

IF the Jets were at all interested in dropping one spot I don't think they'd want a grab bag of Meh to do it.  Kinlaw is the best part of that deal but if Kyle Shanahan wants to move on from Garappolo why on earth would the Jets would him to compete with Darnold?  This sounds like somebody throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks in trying to come up with a trade idea on behalf of a 49ers team that doesn't have many draft picks left.  Now, how about the Jets #2 and #34 for the 49ers #3 and George Kittle? :P 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed.  That's a sh1t show of a trade for the Jets.

Darnold vs. Garoppolo?  My god.

And why would the Jets want Kinlaw? I know he's only heading into Year 2 of his deal and he had a good (but not spectacular) rookie season, but this team has Quinnen Williams, just signed Rankins, and has decent depth at DT with Foley, JFM, etc.

IF the Jets were at all interested in dropping one spot I don't think they'd want a grab bag of Meh to do it.  Kinlaw is the best part of that deal but if Kyle Shanahan wants to move on from Garappolo why on earth would the Jets would him to compete with Darnold?  This sounds like somebody throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks in trying to come up with a trade idea on behalf of a 49ers team that doesn't have many draft picks left.  Now, how about the Jets #2 and #34 for the 49ers #3 and George Kittle? :P 

Agree. Kinlaw and Garrappolo do nothing for me. Bosa or Kittle would need to be involved for me to pickup up the phone. It’s gotta hurt SF.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, joewilly12 said:
Former Jets LB @BartScott57 still believes the Jets should stick with Sam Darnold. "I am an expert in horrible QBs. I know one when I see one, and Sam Darnold is not a horrible quarterback. ... I've been around enough bums to know."

Hey look Bart Scott thinks we should stick with Sam Darnold. 

@playtowinthegame

On 4/1/2021 at 11:50 AM, joewilly12 said:

Lone survivor of the Idzik 12 gets another contract

usatsi_13230708.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
April 1, 2021 8:20 am

The lone survivor from John Idzik’s 12-player 2014 draft class earned another contract on Tuesday.

According to the NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero, former Jets offensive lineman Dakota Dozier agreed to a one-year deal to re-sign with the Minnesota Vikings. The contract is worth $1.075 million, according to Spotrac.

Dozier was drafted in the fourth round out of Furman by the Jets in 2014. He was with the Jets for five seasons and played in 38 games with seven starts. Dozier signed with the Vikings in 2019. There, Dozier reunited with former Jets offensive line coach Rick Dennison, who was hired to the same position with the Vikings.

After primarily serving as a backup in 2019, Dozier became a full-time starter at left guard in 2020. He started all 16 games for the Vikings.

Dozier is the only active player remaining from Idzik’s second and final draft class as Jets general manager. Idzik picked 12 players in 2014, including Quincy Enunwa, Calvin Pryor, Jace Amaro and Dexter McDougle.

The 2021 season will be Dozier’s eighth in the NFL.

@kelly

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

WHAT ARE THEY RELUCTANT ABOUT?!?

Medicals on the draft prospects happen late next week, offers evaluated and decision likely after that as per @football guy

A week from tomorrow or the immediate few days following, The Jets and this board will have some kind of resolution.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Alka said:

I'm very confused!  Do the Jets want to move on from Sam Darnold or not?

My head is beginning to hurt!

They're waiting on their price. That's all. 

If they have to they can trade him after the draft for whatever they can get - but right now unless they get their price they're not going to move him.

But rest assured, he's gone.  It's just a matter of when and for how much.

On 4/2/2021 at 3:35 PM, joewilly12 said:
Former Jets LB @BartScott57 still believes the Jets should stick with Sam Darnold. "I am an expert in horrible QBs. I know one when I see one, and Sam Darnold is not a horrible quarterback. ... I've been around enough bums to know."

Wow...Mark Sanchez is going to need a burn ward to recover from that one.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1