2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

Not a fan of this mock trade. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-five-2021-nfl-draft-trades-new-england-patriots-new-york-jets

NEW YORK JETS MOVE FROM NO. 23 TO NO. 16 (ARIZONA CARDINALS) TO DRAFT MICHIGAN EDGE KWITY PAYE
Full trade details: 

Jets receive: No. 16, No. 160
Cardinals receive: No. 23, No. 66
Comparison Trade: 2018 Tremaine Edmunds (Bills receive No. 16, No. 154 for No. 22, No. 65)

The Jets' two starting edge rushers from 2020 signed contracts in free agency for two years, $6 million and two years, $5.5 million, respectively. The position was the opposite of a strength, and new head coach Robert Saleh comes from a San Francisco 49ers defense that was absolutely loaded across the defensive line. The catalyst that propelled the 49ers to the Super Bowl in 2019 was No. 2 overall pick edge defender Nick Bosa. 

Just one month before selecting Bosa, the 49ers traded a second-round pick to the Kansas City Chiefs for edge defender Dee Ford and made him one of the highest-paid edge rushers in the NFL, inking a five-year, $85 million contract. The Jets signed Carl Lawson to a three-year, $45 million deal in free agency to dramatically improve their edge rush unit, and now they get the top edge rusher in the 2021 draft class to pair with him. Paye is a physical specimen with freakish change-of-direction skills, as evidenced by his now-infamous three-cone video:

Paye had 22 pressures in 2020 on just 138 pass-rush snaps, and with some time for Saleh and company to hone his skills, he could be a disruptive force off the edge for years to come.

From the Cardinals' perspective, they move down just seven spots in the first round and also recoup the third-round pick they traded to Las Vegas for center Rodney Hudson — and it’s the second pick in the entire third round, at that.

3 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Not a fan of this mock trade. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-five-2021-nfl-draft-trades-new-england-patriots-new-york-jets

NEW YORK JETS MOVE FROM NO. 23 TO NO. 16 (ARIZONA CARDINALS) TO DRAFT MICHIGAN EDGE KWITY PAYE
Full trade details: 

Jets receive: No. 16, No. 160
Cardinals receive: No. 23, No. 66
Comparison Trade: 2018 Tremaine Edmunds (Bills receive No. 16, No. 154 for No. 22, No. 65)

The Jets' two starting edge rushers from 2020 signed contracts in free agency for two years, $6 million and two years, $5.5 million, respectively. The position was the opposite of a strength, and new head coach Robert Saleh comes from a San Francisco 49ers defense that was absolutely loaded across the defensive line. The catalyst that propelled the 49ers to the Super Bowl in 2019 was No. 2 overall pick edge defender Nick Bosa. 

Just one month before selecting Bosa, the 49ers traded a second-round pick to the Kansas City Chiefs for edge defender Dee Ford and made him one of the highest-paid edge rushers in the NFL, inking a five-year, $85 million contract. The Jets signed Carl Lawson to a three-year, $45 million deal in free agency to dramatically improve their edge rush unit, and now they get the top edge rusher in the 2021 draft class to pair with him. Paye is a physical specimen with freakish change-of-direction skills, as evidenced by his now-infamous three-cone video:

Paye had 22 pressures in 2020 on just 138 pass-rush snaps, and with some time for Saleh and company to hone his skills, he could be a disruptive force off the edge for years to come.

From the Cardinals' perspective, they move down just seven spots in the first round and also recoup the third-round pick they traded to Las Vegas for center Rodney Hudson — and it’s the second pick in the entire third round, at that.

I don't mind the trade.  I'm not sure I like the pick with it.

If it's for Vera-Tucker or Waddle or someone like that who is clearly worth a top-15 pick then I'm good but there are almost a dozen edge rushers who seem roughly equivalent in value so moving up for one doesn't really sing to me.

Sam Darnold Trade Rumors: Jets 'Haven’t Aggressively Tried to Move' QB

TYLER CONWAYAPRIL 5, 202157

n6xme1bexvp8afwg1il6.jpg
Kathryn Riley/Getty Images

The New York Jets reportedly "haven’t aggressively tried to move" quarterback Sam Darnold ahead of the 2021 NFL draft. 

Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated reported Jets general manager Joe Douglas has wanted to be patient in the process as he gathers information about Zach Wilson, Justin Fields and Trey Lance. However, Breer also noted that the Jets' patience has come in part because no team has been willing to meet their asking price.

The Jets are widely expected to select Wilson with the second pick in this month's draft.

Darnold has been one of the NFL's worst quarterbacks since being taken with the fifth overall pick in the 2018 draft. The USC product has failed to finish better than 30th in Football Outsiders' metrics in any of his first three seasons, and only Carson Wentz ranked worse in DYAR in 2020.

Jets management bears some of the responsibility in Darnold's struggles, particularly with their coaching and roster choices. Adam Gase was perhaps the NFL's worst coach over the last two seasons before being fired after the 2020 campaign, and the Jets have not produced an offensive Pro Bowler during Darnold's career.

Kimberley A. Martin of ESPN reported two general managers said they would be willing to give up a third-round pick to trade for Darnold. While that may be a fair price, some within the Jets building still likely view him as a prospect who can be saved with some competent management and coaching. Darnold doesn't turn 24 until June; he's a full seven months younger than Joe Burrow, last year's No. 1 overall pick.

Even if Darnold improves elsewhere, his new team won't have much time to decide if he's a long-term option. The Jets or Darnold's next team will have to decide whether they will exercise his $18.9 million fifth-year option this offseason. It seems almost certain that they will decline, giving Darnold just a one-year window in his new city. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sam Darnold Trade Rumors: Jets 'Haven’t Aggressively Tried to Move' QB

TYLER CONWAYAPRIL 5, 202157

n6xme1bexvp8afwg1il6.jpg
Kathryn Riley/Getty Images

The New York Jets reportedly "haven’t aggressively tried to move" quarterback Sam Darnold ahead of the 2021 NFL draft. 

Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated reported Jets general manager Joe Douglas has wanted to be patient in the process as he gathers information about Zach Wilson, Justin Fields and Trey Lance. However, Breer also noted that the Jets' patience has come in part because no team has been willing to meet their asking price.

The Jets are widely expected to select Wilson with the second pick in this month's draft.

Darnold has been one of the NFL's worst quarterbacks since being taken with the fifth overall pick in the 2018 draft. The USC product has failed to finish better than 30th in Football Outsiders' metrics in any of his first three seasons, and only Carson Wentz ranked worse in DYAR in 2020.

Jets management bears some of the responsibility in Darnold's struggles, particularly with their coaching and roster choices. Adam Gase was perhaps the NFL's worst coach over the last two seasons before being fired after the 2020 campaign, and the Jets have not produced an offensive Pro Bowler during Darnold's career.

Kimberley A. Martin of ESPN reported two general managers said they would be willing to give up a third-round pick to trade for Darnold. While that may be a fair price, some within the Jets building still likely view him as a prospect who can be saved with some competent management and coaching. Darnold doesn't turn 24 until June; he's a full seven months younger than Joe Burrow, last year's No. 1 overall pick.

Even if Darnold improves elsewhere, his new team won't have much time to decide if he's a long-term option. The Jets or Darnold's next team will have to decide whether they will exercise his $18.9 million fifth-year option this offseason. It seems almost certain that they will decline, giving Darnold just a one-year window in his new city. 

Selected with the fifth pick in the 2018 draft? This dope do any research?

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Haha 1

This is going to make some fans sick, but *apparently* the 49ers had genuine interest in trading for Darnold, but the Jets weren't ready to negotiate. Credit to Douglas for sticking to his process with conviction, but that stance is likely to come back to bite them in the rear compensation-wise.

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

This is going to make some fans sick, but *apparently* the 49ers had genuine interest in trading for Darnold, but the Jets weren't ready to negotiate. Credit to Douglas for sticking to his process with conviction, but that stance is likely to come back to bite them in the rear compensation-wise.

Are they ready to negotiate now?

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

I respect they are waiting for the Medicals but if u fear the Medicals aren’t going to be a big issue then why wait lol This makes me sad , u r right 

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

...that sucks

22 minutes ago, football guy said:

Albert Breer has said over and over again including in today's MMQB that the Jets were willing to trade him earlier if the price was right.

Albert Breer "I do think there’s a price point at which Douglas would’ve already moved Darnold (maybe a second-round pick, plus a player or lower-round pick), and obviously that price hasn’t been met."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/05/mmqb-sean-payton-drew-brees-taysom-hill-jameis-winston-competition

Predicting Landing Spots for Top 2021 NFL Free Agents Left on the Market

MAURICE MOTONAPRIL 6, 202125

CB Steven Nelson: New York Jets

Almost a week into free agency, the Pittsburgh Steelers cut Steven Nelson, who initially requested a trade, per ESPN's Adam Schefter. Coming off a solid year, he allowed a 58.2 percent completion rate while recording nine pass breakups and two interceptions in coverage.

Two years ago, Nelson allowed a 50 percent completion rate, giving a new definition to the phrase 50-50 ball when targeted downfield. He doesn't have a Pro Bowl or All-Pro nod on his resume, but the 5'11", 194-pound cover man should land a starting job because of his performances on the boundary.

Since ESPN's Rich Cimini doesn't see cornerback Richard Sherman as a likely match for the New York Jets, Nelson could gain traction as immediate help for a pass defense that ranked 28th in 2020.

Cimini says the Jets need a starting cornerback and that general manager Joe Douglas will assess prospects in the draft. Nelson could fill that void.

The Jets don't have any surefire starting cornerbacks who are consistent high-end playmakers. If they sign Nelson, Douglas can still look for a rookie to line up on the opposite side to address the position.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Looks like Mullens will go elsewhere

Sounds like teams will wait to sign him pending his rehab from elbow surgery

The backup quarterback is currently rehabbing his throwing-arm elbow. Initial reports suggest Mullens will be cleared by training camp, however. Teams will likely wait until Mullens is closer to 100-percent health before signing him on as a backup.

8 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

Just the type of veteran backup I was expecting - experienced, will have no expectation of being a starter, will come cheap.

Don't love it, don't hate it. Hoyer can hold a clipboard as well as anyone.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Just the type of veteran backup I was expecting - experienced, will have no expectation of being a starter, will come cheap.

Don't love it, don't hate it. Hoyer can hold a clipboard as well as anyone.

Plus can pass along a tremendous amount of experience as far as preparation goes to a young guy after being there with Brady so long.

• Haha 1

New York Jets

Rondale Moore

Purdue · WR

Moore is a beast and a nightmare to tackle after the catch. He's neither a burner nor a huge physical specimen, but he fits everything the Jets are looking to be. Think Deebo Samuel, with his ability to carry the ball, catch the ball and generally be a DC's headache week in and week out.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Peter Schragers first mock draft has the Jets taking Wilson at 2 and rondale Moore at 23. 

From these breakdowns Rondale Moore sounds like a "Tyreek Hill type" with
hopefully no off field issues:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/rondale-moore/32004d4f-4f67-2093-7b5b-808e901606a0

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/purdue-wide-receiver-rondale-moore-pro-day-reaction

• Upvote 1

The Jets’ “veteran back up” should be prepared to start more than a few games, particularly at the start of the season.  The data is pretty compelling.  Virtually every Super Bowl/MVP QB has had the chance to start observe and acclimate as a rookie, rather than start right away.

I don’t know which way JD is going to go in the draft.   I expect to be surprised.  But last year we thought he could draft better OL help, and we were right.  I hope I don’t the same thing this September.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

New York Jets

Rondale Moore

Purdue · WR

Moore is a beast and a nightmare to tackle after the catch. He's neither a burner nor a huge physical specimen, but he fits everything the Jets are looking to be. Think Deebo Samuel, with his ability to carry the ball, catch the ball and generally be a DC's headache week in and week out.

Jack Black Yes GIF

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, varjet said:

The Jets’ “veteran back up” should be prepared to start more than a few games, particularly at the start of the season.  The data is pretty compelling.  Virtually every Super Bowl/MVP QB has had the chance to start observe and acclimate as a rookie, rather than start right away.

I don’t know which way JD is going to go in the draft.   I expect to be surprised.  But last year we thought he could draft better OL help, and we were right.  I hope I don’t the same thing this September.  

Brian Hoyer will make us all proud

25 minutes ago, football guy said:

There will be a wave of FA signings after the draft, and I don't think the Jets are done adding veterans once that completes.

Players that are probably fits for us: 

• QB Brian Hoyer 
  • QB Alex Smith 
  • QB Nick Mullens  
  • RB Duke Johnson 
  • RB Jerick McKinnon
  • WR Marquise Goodwin
  • TE Trey Burton 
  • TE Richard Rodgers 
  • TE Jordan Reed
  • DE Adrian Clayborn 
  • LB KJ Wright 
  • LB Kwon Alexander
  • LB De'Vondre Campbell
  • LB B.J. Goodson
  • LB Alex Anzalone
  • LB Patrick Owuasor 
  • CB Richard Sherman 
  • CB Brian Poole 
  • CB Steven Nelson 
  • CB Rasul Douglas 
  • CB Darqueze Dennard 
  • CB Cre'Von LeBlanc

Realize this isn’t exactly a response but can you make sense of the linebacker depth chart for me?

Obviously Davis will play, Mosley doesn’t seem like a fit, Cashman kind of does but is made of glass, I can’t imagine they’re relying on Phillips to start, and I’m not sure anybody else is a roster lock.

I assume they’re not remotely done adding there, I’d think two more significant pieces and maybe a third for depth? Feel like it’ll be 1-2 draft picks and a FA?

The other tricky thing is I know SF didn’t invest a ton - third round pick on Warner in 2018 I think and then a 2019 fifth round pick and UDFA. Can we expect similar? It seems odd to let a big hole hand to say three of the draft but off ball LB’s aren’t a super premium position. Could see trying to get the inside guy say two or using a third on someone who really fits outside but they need to help the QB more IMO. 

I really hope this is more a Saleh has an eye for what he wants at linebacker and can find day 3 gems situation more than a Ryan does a great job with the DL let’s use all our first round picks there.

I guess the shorter follow up there is Guidry is the only nickel - is that a draft/Poole situation with Williams off the board or do they definitely need a vet?