2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

On 4/16/2021 at 2:38 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I am sorry to say but I do not see us taking him, he wont drop someone will pay draft premium on him. BUT I could see a second pick in one of the mid rounds going on RB. Who by the way will have probably a big impact this year. the Off game plan makes use of RB's very well if they have a clear talent set. I am not sold on any of our RB's having that ability. I expect Joe to get Saleh the RB type he is looking for talent wise for his committee approach. BUT the caveat is that I don't think Joe see's that as a huge need. i bet Joe think Saleh can make it work with the ones we have, so the draft will have to go where we are taking our second pick in a round and we can't trade back or get the high enough ranked OL/CB/Edge, in that case specifically I see him taking a RB that Saleh likes, but don't expect any RB from the 5th or later picks. It would have to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder. AND ONLY if we can get value CB OL or Edge. 

Harris ET etc will noo be a jet imo

I was high on harris but the more I think of it, the more im off him.  If you are going to take a rb in the 1st or early 2nd round, he has to check all the boxes.

And Harris just doesnt check the speed box.  Hes a 4.6 guy.  Not a homerun threat.

Sorry, but you have to have it all as a rb to go in round 1.  He doesnt.

• Sympathy 1

AFC QB Coach: 'It'd Be Hard' Not to Draft Zach Wilson over Trevor Lawrence

ROB GOLDBERGAPRIL 22, 20218

CLEMSON QUARTERBACK TREVOR LAWRENCE HAS BEEN THE CONSENSUS NO. 1 PLAYER IN THE 2021 NFL DRAFT CLASS FOR YEARS, BUT SOME PUT BYU QUARTERBACK ZACH WILSON ON THE SAME LEVEL.

"IF I WAS PICKING NO. 1—HOO, MAN, IT'D BE HARD FOR ME NOT TO TAKE HIM OVER TREVOR," AN AFC QUARTERBACKS COACH TOLD TOM PELISSERO OF NFL.COM. "HE'S GOT REAL PLAYMAKING ABILITY. HE'S SHORTER [THAN LAWRENCE]—I GET IT. BUT HE'S GOT BALL ALL ABOUT HIM. HE MAKES PLAYS—UNIQUE PLAYS."

WILSON IS COMING OFF A BREAKOUT SEASON FOR THE COUGARS, TOTALING 3,692 PASSING YARDS WITH 33 TOUCHDOWNS AND THREE INTERCEPTIONS IN 12 GAMES. HE ADDED 254 RUSHING YARDS AND 10 RUSHING TOUCHDOWNS.

MANY ANALYSTS PROJECT THE NEW YORK JETS WILL DRAFT WILSON NO. 2 OVERALL.

SOME ARGUE HE SHOULD GO EVEN HIGHER, ESPECIALLY AFTER SHOWCASING HIS TALENT AT HIS PRO DAY LAST MONTH:

"ZACH WILSON'S MAY BE THE BEST I'VE EVER SEEN," ONE GENERAL MANAGER TOLD PELISSERO OF THE QUARTERBACK'S PRO-DAY THROWING SESSION. "AND HIS ARM IS RIDICULOUS."

THE JETS OR ANOTHER TEAM COULD GET A STEAL IN WILSON IF HE DOESN'T GO NO. 1 OVERALL.

THERE IS STILL PLENTY OF HYPE AROUND LAWRENCE, WHO HAS GREAT SIZE AT 6'6" AND IMPRESSED THROUGHOUT HIS COLLEGE CAREER WITH 10,098 PASSING YARDS AND 90 TOUCHDOWNS IN THREE YEARS.

BLEACHER REPORT'S SCOUTING DEPARTMENT DOESN'T THINK IT'S MUCH OF A COMPETITION, LISTING LAWRENCE AS THE NO. 1 PLAYER IN THE CLASS AND GRADING HIM AS A HALL OF FAME-LEVEL TALENT. WILSON IS LISTED SEVENTH OVERALL BUT THE FOURTH-BEST QUARTERBACK.

BOTH PLAYERS WILL GET THE CHANCE TO PROVE SCOUTS RIGHT OR WRONG IN THE NFL.

NFL Teams Who Can't Afford to Blow It in the 2021 NFL Draft

CHRIS ROLINGAPRIL 22, 2021

New York Jets

Unlike the Jacksonville Jaguars, who have the No. 1 pick, the New York Jets will have to settle for a quarterback at No. 2.

That means going with BYU's Zach Wilson, Ohio State's Justin Fields or North Dakota State's Trey Lance—and the Jets don't need to be told the wrong move could set them back for a long, long time.

New York is the perfect example, after all. The franchise made Sam Darnold the third pick in 2018, but he completed just 59.8 percent of his passes with 45 touchdowns and 39 interceptions. The Jets pulled the plug this offseason, trading him to the Carolina Panthers to help signal a franchise reset.

This is their first draft under new head coach Robert Saleh, the latest leader tasked with turning around a franchise that has one winning season since 2010. New York also holds the 23rd pick and three others in the top 90 plus the second-most cap space in the league ($28.3 million).

While a dramatic rebuild is a process, this one will hinge on whether the Jets get the right quarterback at No. 2. If not, Saleh's defensive prowess will carry them only so far.

22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:
This third-round pick in 2000 is scheduled to announce a #Jets selection on night 2 of the draft. Laveranues Coles proved a lot of people wrong and enjoyed a terrific career.

One of my all time favs.  Will be very cool to see him up there Friday night.

• Upvote 1

2021 NFL Draft: Latest Buzz Surrounding Every NFL Team

KRISTOPHER KNOXAPRIL 23, 2021

New York Jets: Zach Wilson to the Jets Isn't a Lock

The New York Jets are widely expected to take Brigham Young quarterback Zach Wilson with the No. 2 pick—assuming, of course, that the Jags don't pass on Trevor Lawrence. However, not everyone around the league is convinced this is a done deal.

"Are we all sure that Wilson is going second?" one AFC executive asked La Canfora. "Is that written in stone somewhere? Seriously, have they come out and said it? Maybe Wilson is the pick, but you can't tell me he is absolutely a better prospect than Fields. We would take Fields there at 2."

Others around the league believe Wilson would be a poor fit for the Jets' talent-starved roster.

"If I had to bet money, I'd bet it doesn't work out for him with the Jets," one quarterbacks coach told The Athletic's Bruce Feldman.

The reality is that Wilson probably isn't the No. 2 quarterback on every team's draft board, and there's no guarantee that he's the top signal-caller not named Lawrence on New York's. The Jets are probably taking a quarterback after trading Sam Darnold, but they could potentially throw a major curveball at the draft by picking one other than Wilson.

NFL Draft 2021: Jets picking Zach Wilson over Justin Fields is a big mistake, ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. warns

Updated 12:55 PM; Today 11:25 AM

https://www.nj.com/jets/2021/04/nfl-draft-2021-jets-picking-zach-wilson-over-justin-fields-is-a-big-mistake-espns-mel-kiper-jr-says.html

NFL Draft 2021: Jets picking Zach Wilson over Justin Fields is a big mistake, ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. warns

Updated 12:55 PM; Today 11:25 AM 

The New York Jets are expected to select BYU quarterback Zach Wilson with the No. 2 pick overall in the 2021 NFL Draft.AP

Facebook Share

Twitter Share

By Mike Rosenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Six days. That’s how much longer we have until the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft.

If all goes according to plan, Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence will go No. 1 to the Jacksonville Jaguars and BYU’s Zach Wilson will go No. 2 to the New York Jets.

Betting on the NFL Draft?

Get free bets, risk-free bets and enhanced odds offers from the best licensed NJ sports betting sites.

See the best NJ Sports Betting sites

But ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. says Jets general manager Joe Douglas will be making a mistake selecting Wilson over Ohio State’s Justin Fields.

Kiper explained his reasoning Thursday on the “Rich Eisen Show.”

“I’ve been consistent with Justin all along. I waited to see the playoff game. The way he performed like a champion against Trevor in that semifinal game I think cemented it for me, that I was going to be consistent and not change and not have a reaction to two subpar games in a COVID year. In the Northwestern game, Rich, he was not 100% for it. ... I look at that and say Trey Lance didn’t play well against Central Arkansas. Fields didn’t play well against Indiana and Northwestern, and played phenomenal in 2019. I did stick with Fields for that reason.”

So if Fields is the better prospect, why are the Jets leaning toward Wilson? Kiper has an idea.

“The undeniable arm talent. The year he had, Rich, was phenomenal. Now granted, it was against an inferior schedule. But he came back from that shoulder surgery. He did not play great in 2019. He had shoulder surgery and he struggled. He was fumbling the ball. He was making some bad throws, bad decisions and this year, he looked like a completely different quarterback. Little big bigger, little stronger and just better overall. Better feel for the position. And he had good talent around him. He some receivers who are going to have a chance, Dax Milne is going to have a chance to play in the NFL. Obviously Brady Christensen the left tackle is going to have a chance to play in the NFL.

“So he had some talent around him, but I just think that Joe Douglas fell in love with the talent and said, ‘OK, I love this kid. I can reset the clock. Sam Darnold I liked but I can move him on, get some draft picks.’ He had said, Joe Douglas did, that if they weren’t picking second and in a position to draft Zach Wilson, he would’ve stuck with Sam Darnold and not moved on. So obviously for him, it was Trevor Lawrence or Zach Wilson and nobody else. Sam Darnold would’ve been the guy. If I were the Jets, Rich, I would’ve stuck with Sam Darnold. I would not have drafted a quarterback. I would’ve stuck with Sam and then either use that pick on a Kyle Pitts or move down and acquire some extra draft choices and still would’ve been able to acquire a great pass-catcher, whether it’s the three receivers, one of those three, or Pitts, for Sam Darnold. But they, I think Joe Douglas just fell in love with Zach Wilson and that’s the bottom line on that.”

Buy 2021 NFL Draft gear: Fanatics, NFL Shop

Douglas traded Darnold to the Carolina Panthers earlier this month for three draft picks, including a second-round selection in 2022.

The Panthers, by the way, own the No. 8 pick overall in this year’s draft and haven’t ruled out selecting a quarterback, even though they have Darnold and Teddy Bridgewater on the payroll.

Robert Saleh believes LB C.J. Mosley will be a good fit in his system. “He’s been a fantastic player his entire life and that’s not going to change just because a new coaching staff has come in.” Saleh added he’s looking forward to helping Mosley get back to an elite level. #Jets