2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

geno smith

Ex-Giants and Jets quarterback Geno Smith will return for a third season as Russell Wilson's backup on the Seattle Seahawks.AP

The NFL offseason began with rumors swirling that the Seattle Seahawks might trade seven-time Pro Bowl QB Russell Wilson.

But barring the unexpected, Wilson will be under center for the Seahawks in 2021. And the man who backed him up last year will be back on the sideline as well.

The Seahawks announced Thursday they re-signed Geno Smith, who confirmed the news on Twitter:

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:
geno smith

Ex-Giants and Jets quarterback Geno Smith will return for a third season as Russell Wilson's backup on the Seattle Seahawks.AP

The NFL offseason began with rumors swirling that the Seattle Seahawks might trade seven-time Pro Bowl QB Russell Wilson.

But barring the unexpected, Wilson will be under center for the Seahawks in 2021. And the man who backed him up last year will be back on the sideline as well.

The Seahawks announced Thursday they re-signed Geno Smith, who confirmed the news on Twitter:

Another Idzik gem

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Joe the jets can’t afford to blow this one

I know @T0mShane it may be the last chance for awhile to get this QB thing right via the draft  or else it will be QB Free Agent Ave from here on out.  

Im torn between Wilson,Fields,Lance.  

I have a feeling Lance turns out to be the best one. 

Hoping whoever we pick turns out to be the best one. 

• Sympathy 1

ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. huddles with Post columnist Steve Serby ahead of Thursday’s start of the 2021 NFL Draft for some Q&A.

Q: How big is the gap between Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson?

A: For me it’s substantial. I think Justin Fields is the second-best quarterback in this draft, Wilson’s the third. [Lawrence will] be my fourth highest-rated quarterback [all-time] … behind John Elway, Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning. … He’ll be more of Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning than he will be, you say, a Ryan Leaf. But there’s no guarantees in this business, there’s no locks in this business. Denver drafted Paxton Lynch [five] years ago, right? Kansas City tried to get Paxton Lynch. Had Kansas City been successful in drafting Paxton Lynch, they wouldn’t have drafted Patrick Mahomes. So they misevaluated Paxton Lynch, but they obviously evaluated Patrick Mahomes correctly. … A lot of good luck and good fortune goes into teams having great drafts.

Jets' New Coaching Staff Is Excited About C.J. Mosley

MAX GOODMAN
2 HOURS AGO
  •  
  •  
  •  

Since signing his massive five-year deal with the Jets in the spring of 2019, linebacker C.J. Mosley has played in just two games in green and white.

Injuries kept Mosley off the field through much of his first season in New York. Then, Mosley opted out of the 2020 season.

Even if Mosley hasn't been on the field for an extended period of time, new head coach Robert Saleh is eager to work with the inside linebacker and mix him into his defense.

"I think he’s one of those players that it really doesn’t matter what the scheme is, he’s going to fit," Saleh said in a presser earlier this week. "He’s been a fantastic player his entire life and that’s not going to change just because a new coaching staff has come in. He’s a tremendous leader. He’s a tremendous football player. He hasn’t played in a couple of years, so you know he’s just chomping at the bit to get back onto the football field. And so, we’re excited to get a chance to work with him and to help him get back to playing every day and being the star that he’s been."

Mosley established himself as a solid linebacker over his first five seasons in the league, all with the Baltimore Ravens. The former first-rounder had 100-plus tackles in all but one season, missing only three games in that entire span. 

On the Jets going forward, it'll be interesting to see how New York lines up at linebacker. The organization added veteran Jarrad Davis in free agency this offseason, and Blake Cashman projects to get playing time at the position as well. 

Could New York add a linebacker in the first few rounds of the NFL draft next week? One option would be Notre Dame's Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, if he slips to No. 23. Then again, the Jets could trade up earlier in the first round as well.

All of these recent positive comments from the front office and coaching staff are the kiss of death to Moseley. 

Trading him would actually give them an extra $1.5 million in cap space this year and $17.5 million in cap space in 2022.

There's a ton of financial risk in keeping him this year. If they don't trade him and he doesn't play well or gets hurt again they're on the hook for $12.5 million in dead money in 2022 if they cut him after this season. That's a $12 million gamble on a guy who hasn't played in 2 years. 

It won't be easy to trade him bc he already has a guaranteed $8 million base salary for 2022. That may be a risk other teams who are ready to win and have the financial resources and credibility would be willing to take. The Jets aren't in a place talent wise to take that risk. 

• Upvote 2

Peter King's mock Draft pick for us.  Also interesting he doesn't have Jenkins going in the first round.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/26/2021-nfl-mock-draft-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatw

23. New York Jets (from Seattle)—Gregory Rousseau, edge-rusher, Miami 

So no one knows which edge rusher is going to be very good. The Jets want one. I think they might take Paye if available, and they might also trade up for one. They also could roll the dice on Azeez Ojulari, the highly rated rusher from Georgia who could slip because some teams are worried about his knee issues. Rousseau is an interesting story. Medical redshirt as a 2018 Miami frosh, huge season (35 sacks/TFLs) in 2019 as a rush end, opted out in 2020. So teams have seen him in all of seven starts and one season as a rusher. “Such a tough evaluation,” one GM told me. “But I can’t unsee what I saw in 2019. He was a man that year.”

In many ways, Rousseau is the perfect illustration of the 2020 draft prospect: Tantalizing, touch of mystery, not enough on tape to totally trust. The one reason NOT to give him to the Jets is New York cannot afford to bust on first-round picks—the Jets have too much recent history of that. If Joe Douglas makes this pick, it’ll be because he’s swinging for a home run, not a gap double.

3) A record number of teams want to go down. “I’d say 35 to 75 is the hotbed of this draft,” one GM trying to move down from the twenties told me Sunday. I’m projecting a couple of small trades in my mock. I just couldn’t find evidence that QB-needy teams like New England, Washington and Chicago would move up from mid-round and kill their ’22 (and maybe ’23) drafts to move up for a passer.

This might be the worst mock yet. 

23. Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU

They traded away a disgruntled Jamal Adams, and this is a pick that was included in the package from Seattle, so use it to grab Moerhig and heal the back end of the defense for Gang Green -- one that was a shell of itself with Adams gone.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-49ers-give-the-nod-to-justin-fields-falcons-gift-matt-ryan-a-generational-weapon/

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

This might be the worst mock yet. 

23. Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU

They traded away a disgruntled Jamal Adams, and this is a pick that was included in the package from Seattle, so use it to grab Moerhig and heal the back end of the defense for Gang Green -- one that was a shell of itself with Adams gone.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-49ers-give-the-nod-to-justin-fields-falcons-gift-matt-ryan-a-generational-weapon/

That's horrific.  I'd be straight on the "Joe must go" bandwagon if he did something that profoundly stupid.

And then AVT is the next guy off the board?  Sheesh...

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Marshmello said:

So no one knows which edge rusher is going to be very good. The Jets want one. I think they might take Paye if available, and they might also trade up for one.

What I appreciate about Peter King these days is that he admits he’s stopped trying to do his job but people keep paying him anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Interesting-ish comments from Dianna Russini on ESPN Radio this morning.

—Scouts all gaga over Wilson’s potential, BUT

—Personnel community still thinks Darnold can be really good and thinks Douglas gave up on him too fast

—Most of the personnel people she talks to still have Fields as their second-ranked QB based solely on talent, and any slide will be based on things other than on-field potential.

—Personnel guys like Mac Jones, but if the Niners don’t take him, he will slide.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I’m pretty sure most of the media keeps mocking the ridiculous picks to the Jets at 23/34 because it’s funnier if the Jets continue to suck for them.

We have not even had a conversation or interview with the majority of guys they are mocking to us. 

it’s extremely lazy reporting.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Interesting-ish comments from Dianna Russini on ESPN Radio this morning.

—Scouts all gaga over Wilson’s potential, BUT

—Personnel community still thinks Darnold can be really good and thinks Douglas gave up on him too fast

—Most of the personnel people she talks to still have Fields as their second-ranked QB based solely on talent, and any slide will be based on things other than on-field potential.

—Personnel guys like Mac Jones, but if the Niners don’t take him, he will slide.

The Narrative of Justin Fields being the number 2 QB in this draft and the actual fact that he’s going to be taken as the QB 4 or 5 is so interesting.

So now that it looks like so many will be wrong about Fields being QB2 there’s alittle hint about how the media will respond to him slipping. Now he got passed on bc of off the field stuff? Or ‘not on field potential’

Thats BS. Fields off the field is clean as hell. I really hope this isn’t the storyline all week in the media. So many good prospects to talk about. 

20 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

We have not even had a conversation or interview with the majority of guys they are mocking to us. 

it’s extremely lazy reporting.

Well said. One narrative i've read is the Jets "can afford" to take a risk with someone like Farley at 23 because they have so many picks. 

I would argue the opposite. Out of every team in the league, Jets have put themselves in the least likely position to take any risks due to the lack of talent/depth on their roster. They don't have "throw away" picks and won't have any next year either.

• Upvote 1