2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

4 hours ago, Shockwave said:

The Narrative of Justin Fields being the number 2 QB in this draft and the actual fact that he’s going to be taken as the QB 4 or 5 is so interesting.

So now that it looks like so many will be wrong about Fields being QB2 there’s alittle hint about how the media will respond to him slipping. Now he got passed on bc of off the field stuff? Or ‘not on field potential’

Thats BS. Fields off the field is clean as hell. I really hope this isn’t the storyline all week in the media. So many good prospects to talk about. 

Media does this every year.  Late risers.  Guys dropping.  How about a member of the media admitting that they mis-evaluated a guy.  

I like Fields.  Still prefer him at 2 to Wilson.  But assuming all the reports are correct and Fields is the 4th or 5th QB off the board.  Then I likely was wrong in my evaluation.  He didn't suddenly drop.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You know people can make a patient, informed decision, and still make the wrong decision, right?

Fair enough, but there is a more than fair argument that he's already started to prove otherwise with his draft picks and free agent choices to-date. He's been great at trading away players for picks, unquestionably, but his resume to-date on player selection, obvious Becton pick being obvious aside, hasn't been terribly good. 

Of course, if his 2020 draft picks picks start producing in 2021, and his 2021 picks have some impact in 2021, and his shiny new 2021 free agent edge and WR produce like #1's at their respective spots, that will certainly change some perceptions of him. 

It's all in his hands right now.

At the very least, I'm happy that JD seems to understand the concept of positional value. The last few GMs (especially Mac) didn't understand that at all.

Whether or not you agree with which QB he takes, the fact that he's taking QB instead of a DT or box safety who's a "leader of men" is encouraging and gives us some semblance of hope. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetblue95 said:

who do you think the jets should take at #2?

Fields.

With only a modicum of confidence tbqh. 

I've said it a few times, this class reeks of multiple-bust danger, I'm not convinced any of them will become Franchise QB's, Lawrence included.

how do you rank the QBs in this draft class?

Lawrence - So much hype, he'll never live up to it.  He'll be ok I think, like a Kirk Cousin.  He'll produce, he'll be better than anything WE'VE had in our history, but he's not "the greatest QB since Luck (or Manning)" as he's being hyped to be.  I think he ends up like a Carson Palmer level of quality.  Good, but not enough to overcome the teams he'll play for.

Fields - Biggest upside, biggest heart.  Right team, right support, he's Russel Wilson.  Played on the biggest stage, against the best in college, and generally rose to those challenges admirably enough.  In the wrong spot, wrong system, or rushed to start day 1, maybe not so much.

Jones - Right system, right guy, could be very solid, probably belongs with 49'ers tbqh.  I think this guy (despite his own limited resume) will be a very solid pro QB, again, in the right system only.  Very much a Ryan Tannehill-level of production type guy, who won;t win you games, but might help you not lose them with the right support.  

Wilson - Too many risks for my tastes, height (short), weight (light), short resume of greatness, weak opponents, not on anyones radar before 2020 (COVID year, which colors everything).  Every aspect of him screams "Risk!" to me, and I don't see what the hype is all about watching him on YouTube beat up on San Diego Barber Colleges of the 3rd tier college ranks. 

Trask - I like him.  Probably stupidly, tbqh.  Likely my usual "3rd rounder I like" mistake, lol.

Lance - All potential, no resume.  Want nothing to do with him, vastly too risky for a franchise like the NYJ.

With all that said, this is a QB draft I very much could be 100% wrong about two years from now on.  I have that little confidence in this class as a whole.

you're a bright guy who is certainly capable of thinking for himself.  would you like to share how you see this draft and this QB class stack up?

The entire class terrifies me, frankly. 

It feels like 2018 (5x hyped QB's, only two of whom look to be potentially Franchise players (Allan and Jackson), with one Journeyman (Mayfield) and two total busts (Darnold and Rosen). 

Most interesting, Darnold and Rosen were supposedly the "sure thing" guys of that class, with Allen, Mayfield and Jackson all have big risks.

Or worse, it could be 2015 with just more QB's.  

Or I could be 100% wrong, and we've got 5x new elite young QB's, who the hell knows.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

At the very least, I'm happy that JD seems to understand the concept of positional value. The last few GMs (especially Mac) didn't understand that at all.

Whether or not you agree with which QB he takes, the fact that he's taking QB instead of a DT or box safety who's a "leader of men" is encouraging and gives us some semblance of hope. 

Who he takes at 23 and 34 is actually the real tell.

The QB at 2 is a must.  

If he takes a CB at 23 or 34 (or any defense) we'll know he's lost and hope is lost until he's gone.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

WFAN’s Maggie Gray thinks that JD will be very aggressive on draft night. She said to look for a trade up scenario where the Jets moves back into the 1st round which would give them three 1st rounders overall. I’d be all in on that.

In a draft where MANY experts agree that there are 15 or so true first round graded players, and then everything in the back of round 1 and round 2 is about equal... makes total sense to trade up into the low 20s.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Fields.

With only a modicum of confidence tbqh. 

I've said it a few times, this class reeks of multiple-bust danger, I'm not convinced any of them will become Franchise QB's, Lawrence included.

Lawrence - So much hype, he'll never live up to it.  He'll be ok I think, like a Kirk Cousin.  He'll produce, he'll be better than anything WE'VE had in our history, but he's not "the greatest QB since Luck (or Manning)" as he's being hyped to be.  I think he ends up like a Carson Palmer level of quality.  Good, but not enough to overcome the teams he'll play for.

Fields - Biggest upside, biggest heart.  Right team, right support, he's Russel Wilson.  Played on the biggest stage, against the best in college, and generally rose to those challenges admirably enough.  In the wrong spot, wrong system, or rushed to start day 1, maybe not so much.

Jones - Right system, right guy, could be very solid, probably belongs with 49'ers tbqh.  I think this guy (despite his own limited resume) will be a very solid pro QB, again, in the right system only.  Very much a Ryan Tannehill-level of production type guy, who won;t win you games, but might help you not lose them with the right support.  

Wilson - Too many risks for my tastes, height (short), weight (light), short resume of greatness, weak opponents, not on anyones radar before 2020 (COVID year, which colors everything).  Every aspect of him screams "Risk!" to me, and I don't see what the hype is all about watching him on YouTube beat up on San Diego Barber Colleges of the 3rd tier college ranks. 

Trask - I like him.  Probably stupidly, tbqh.  Likely my usual "3rd rounder I like" mistake, lol.

Lance - All potential, no resume.  Want nothing to do with him, vastly too risky for a franchise like the NYJ.

With all that said, this is a QB draft I very much could be 100% wrong about two years from now on.  I have that little confidence in this class as a whole.

The entire class terrifies me, frankly. 

It feels like 2018 (5x hyped QB's, only two of whom look to be potentially Franchise players (Allan and Jackson), with one Journeyman (Mayfield) and two total busts (Darnold and Rosen). 

Most interesting, Darnold and Rosen were supposedly the "sure thing" guys of that class, with Allen, Mayfield and Jackson all have big risks.

Or worse, it could be 2015 with just more QB's.  

Or I could be 100% wrong, and we've got 5x new elite young QB's, who the hell knows.  

thank you for your detailed response. 

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

In a draft where MANY experts agree that there are 15 or so true first round graded players, and then everything in the back of round 1 and round 2 is about equal... makes total sense to trade up into the low 20s.

The other trend I think we see is teams being more willing to trade for next year's picks. This draft class has good Oline depth and secondary, but is really thin or top heavy everywhere else. Or is filled with a whole bunch of clones (slot WR, RB) or massive question marks (edge). Next year should be more stable with more prospects declaring. Partially why the Darnold trade might end up being better for us than if the picks were for this year. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I like my chances much better with Fields as my quarterback. I'm much more confident he's built for the abuse that comes with playing quarterback at the NFL level. 

Thanks ... Ill take my chances with a golden arm prodigy over a guy with an elongated release, incredibly long hold time and who runs too much.

Pop Quiz : Who held the ball longer than Fields last year ?

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, flgreen said:

And if Fields busts out?

Doulglas is the GM of the Jets.  If he thinks Wilson is a much better QB then Fields, I'm going with Douglas over internet fears.   If he's worrying about what Lil Bill is doing the Jets need another GM.

I don't think he cares, nor should he.

Douglas hired Saleh.  Douglas traded Darnold.

Douglas is choosing the QB at #2.  It's as simple as that.

If Saleh were choosing the QB it sounded like he would have stuck with Darnold and asked Douglas to parlay the #2 into a bunch of picks so he could get everything from an OT and WR to an Edge rusher and CB.

That ship has sailed.... and Joe Douglas is at the helm.

8 hours ago, section314 said:

The reason that I believe that Wilson is not the slam dunk pick is that it flies in the face of everything the Jets have done since JD has been here. The organization is tighter than a clams ass as far as information being leaked, and yet for the last 3 weeks they are flying planes around with signs on them telling the world who we are picking? Doesn't add up, and I smell a rat.

This is a very good point. Joe Douglas runs a very tight ship, and that's been evident from the start. I mean if we're being honest, most of the rumors surrounding the Jets and who we like and what we would end up doing turned out false (not dissing the guys who are plugged in on here, y'all are only giving us the info you're told).

I think if Wilson is the pick, I don't think it's an indictment on Joe Douglas or case of info being leaked. I think it's just a matter of people playing the guessing game and being right. I mean, based what we know, it's not hard to pin Wilson to the Jets. They traded Darnold, so we know they'll be drafting a QB. Which means it's either Wilson or Fields. We know from what's been reported that Wilson's stock has risen, while Fields stock has fallen. So bam! It's Zach Wilson at 2. See? I pinned that down pissed off what I've analysis of the situation, and I don't know jack sh*t. Just made an educated guess.

If the Jets draft ZW, it's a matter of people guessing right than actually having any inside info.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, King P said:

This is a very good point. Joe Douglas runs a very tight ship, and that's been evident from the start. I mean if we're being honest, most of the rumors surrounding the Jets and who we like and what we would end up doing turned out false (not dissing the guys who are plugged in on here, y'all are only giving us the info you're told).

I think if Wilson is the pick, I don't think it's an indictment on Joe Douglas or case of info being leaked. I think it's just a matter of people playing the guessing game and being right. I mean, based what we know, it's not hard to pin Wilson to the Jets. They traded Darnold, so we know they'll be drafting a QB. Which means it's either Wilson or Fields. We know from what's been reported that Wilson's stock has risen, while Fields stock has fallen. So bam! It's Zach Wilson at 2. See? I pinned that down pissed off what I've analysis of the situation, and I don't know jack sh*t. Just made an educated guess.

If the Jets draft ZW, it's a matter of people guessing right than actually having any inside info.

Exactly, it's not much different than predicting the Jets would take Trevor Lawrence if we had the #1 overall pick. 

99pct of this crap are educated guesses. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, King P said:

Kirk Herbstreit is hopefull and thinks the jets still go Fields 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, juxsta said:

Sewell to the Porpoises?

I don't know what it says about Miami, but I believe this move is geared toward Washington approaching LT the way they have QB: acquire a bunch of stop-gaps and see who wins out. 

My guess is they're looking at Flowers as a competitor at LT against Lucas/Charles/Christian rather than a replacement for Wes Schweitzer

On 4/26/2021 at 10:17 AM, T0mShane said:

The QB scouting community is generally populated by racist goatee-bearing morons who couldn’t draw a paycheck in any other profession so, in a way, I kind of feel happy for guys like Fields and Lance who benefit by not getting stuck on sh*tty teams who live at the top of the draft.

You've just described the cornerback scouts in reverse. 

17 hours ago, King P said:

What do the Jets gain from hiding who they're picking? The Jags aren't trading out and aren't taking Wilson. There is no reason to hide anything about the #2 pick. 

17 hours ago, King P said:

I don't think it's a case of guessing right, but could be some loose lips on the end of Zach and his team. Obviously if he's the pick - the Jets have probably informed him (or as the report was told a while back, sold his family on the Jets and the moving forward plan). You can easily go to his dad's twitter and see multiple likes of Jets related content - even one recently being "3 days until the Jets select Zach Wilson" 

Nothing wrong with that, a family is excited their life is about to change for the better and they're thankfully showing the front of excitement and not despair. I do agree, it's a much tighter ship than the previous bozo, but things like this can happen with the draft because of the addition of the second party (in this case the draftee). 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:
Just talked to @SteveYoungQB, who has followed Zach Wilson's career closely (BYU connection) and offers insights into Zach's NFL potential, his fit with the #Jets and how they tested him in zoom sessions. "Flight Deck" podcast will be dropping soon.

Am I the only one tired of Steve Young at this point? 

• Upvote 2

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Jaguars HC Urban Meyer narrowed down the No. 1 selection to Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, and Justin Fields.

There's no doubt that Lawrence will ultimately be taken at the top of the draft despite Meyer failing to name him as the selection when talking with Rapoport. However, Justin Fields making the final cut for Jacksonville is noteworthy. Recent reports have ruled him out as an option for San Francisco with the No. 3 overall pick but if other teams arrive at similar conclusions to the Jaguars, Fields' slide could be shortlived. Atlanta at No. 4 is the first team that could realistically draft Fields with the Lions and Panthers as the next two teams in the draft order who could see quarterback as a need.

Apr 27, 2021, 1:27 PM ET