2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

Just now, nycdan said:

Bill seems determined to counter Brady's Super Bowl with one of his own.  His legacy took a slight hit from that and he's going to burn it all down in pursuit of one more ring.  Honestly, this is good news.  The Patriots are likely to spin their wheels at best with Cam back under Center.  Bill is looking at a cycle of mediocrity until he retires IMO. 

The Pats will get one of the 4 QB's in this draft bank on it.

• Upvote 3

For those of you sweating the signings we've seen (most of which are players we had no interest in), this might take the sting out a little.  Not exactly any stellar grades here.

https://overthecap.com/contract-grades/

Kevin Zeitler, RG, Ravens

3 years, $22,500,000, $16,000,000 total guarantees ($16,000,000 full)

A decent deal for both sides with the second year guarantee and strong year one cash likely being the reason this one got done so quickly. $7.5 million is a fair value for Zeitler. Structure of the contract would allow the Ravens to trade him next year if they needed to, but that would be a miss if that happened due to how much they are paying in 2021. I would guess Baltimore is actually looking at this as a three year investment that goes beyond the guarantees.

Zeitler won't count against the Ravens comp picks which is another reason they were aggressive here with the signing. Cap is reasonable with $9 and $9.5 million chargers in the 2nd and 3rd year of the contract.

Grade: C

Kyle Juszczyk, FB, 49ers

5 years, $27,000,000, $9,000,000 total guarantees ($9,600,000 full)

I don't get the love affair the 49ers have with Juszczyk and it is hard to imagine them bidding against anyone but themselves here. I get that they like him and the fullback role is important but this is 66% higher than the next closest player at the position which is a crazy premium. He would be around the 15th highest paid running back. He's a 35 to 40% player whose team has gone 29-35 since he signed there.

$9.6 million is guaranteed at signing. The closet to that is $3.5 million ($5 million is the 2nd largest injury guarantee). It's a double bonus structure to keep the cap numbers low on the front end leading to a $6.6 million cap charge in year 3 and a cost of $5.3 million to cut, basically making it a wash and giving him great security beyond just the contract guarantee that year. I have no idea who the niners were bidding against again but this is a great deal for him.

Grade: D-

Lavonte David, LB, Buccaneers

2 years, $25,000,000, $20,000,000 total guarantees ($17,500,000 full)

We had David at 3 years, $12 million per year and $20 million guaranteed and he came in at 2 years, $12.5 million per year and $20 million guaranteed so I would say this was right on target with market expectations. David was hard to compare with other players since he was going to be a bit of a unique player here. The numbers were nowhere near Bobby Wagner, nor should they have been, and above Demario Davis and Jamie Collins which they should have been.

The Bucs go off their usual path here by using roster bonuses that will prorate. Why not just use a signing bonus? No idea, but I guess in a sense it lets them stay the course somewhat in their no bonus philosophy. They add three void years for proration which I dont have an issue with since they just won the Super Bowl and are trying to run it back with the same group. There are times worth taking more risks and this was one of them. It is much harder to pick and choose in these spots so this is a fine alternative to get it done. I would not be surprised if this ultimately follows the Eagles new June 1 restructure plan with a restructure of sorts next year.

Grade: C

Cam Newton, QB, Patriots

1 year, $5,100,000, $3,500,000 total guarantees ($3,500,000 full)

This is a solid deal for the Patriots and one I am a little surprised Newton elected to take. He had such a bad run in free agency last year I guess that certainty was better in this case than the unknowns of free agency.

This is a pure backup contract for Newton with a base value is $5 million a year, which is under the likes of Case Keenum, Tyrod Taylor, and Ryan Fitzpatrick's old contracts. There is $1.5 million tied to per game bonuses which is really high for a player who played 15 games last season. Newton certainly has his downsides but I think this is a solid contract for the Patriots if they have no other QB options next year.

Grade: B+

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

NFL Network on Sirius XM is basically unbreable right now with Kirwin and Miller slurping teh NE moves.

When they cut Judon after 1 season they’ll slurp them for being smart about how they build contracts to allow them to have early outs.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

2008-2010.

Just because Mac and Idzik were bad at FA doesn’t mean we should expect to bad results. 

The core of those teams were Harris, Brick, Mangold, Revis, Rhodes (09), Sanchez, and Jerricho Cotchery.  There needs to be a balance between FAs and draft.  The ‘08-‘10 Jets fortified an already young and solid roster with FAs.  They didn’t build it that way.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Wonder if Saleh is yelling in the war room like he does on the sidelines every time the Pats make a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

JD probably signed off on the hiring of the "get back" guy last week, just to keep Saleh from storming into his office today.

"Get back" guy is earning his salary early this year.