2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

8 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

“Who’s to say Thuney would’ve even decided to come here” is an awful strategy in free agency

That’s not the strategy. I’m making a point that money could’ve been equal and Thuney may have still opted to sign elsewhere. Bottom line was that the Chiefs essentially gave him a 3-year, $49 million fully guaranteed contract. Jets weren’t going there

• Upvote 1

Just now, football guy said:

That’s not the strategy. I’m making a point that money could’ve been equal and Thuney may have still opted to sign elsewhere. Bottom line was that the Chiefs essentially gave him a 3-year, $49 million fully guaranteed contract. Jets weren’t going there

Even if the Jets offered the same exact deal KC offered, Thuney would go to KC. Thuney is from the midwest, the Chiefs are a SB contender and the cost of living in KC is cheap compared to NJ. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, football guy said:

I mean, he was a Patriot. It’s feasible he wouldn’t have come to the Jets just because if BB’s influence.

He was getting a good deal or 3 to choose from no matter what.

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

Even if the Jets offered the same exact deal KC offered, Thuney would go to KC. Thuney is from the midwest, the Chiefs are a SB contender and the cost of living in KC is cheap compared to NJ. 

Add in the fact that the guy has played his whole career with the Pats, goes to the Super Bowl almost every year, and it's really not a tough decision.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

That’s fine. But you have to try. Everyone is talking about all things being equal, can we at least get to equal first? 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Hypothetically and I completely understand this is a huge IF at this point, but if the Jets can nab one of the top WRs and one of the top Edge remaining, would you still view this FA period as a success?  

There’s still a variety of ways for this free agency to be a success. Still plenty of good players. 

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Hypothetically and I completely understand this is a huge IF at this point, but if the Jets can nab one of the top WRs and one of the top Edge remaining, would you still view this FA period as a success?  

Yes

And I just said so recently.

Give me, say, Golladay and Hendrickson between tonight and tomorrow and all is basically forgiven.

Provided that we draft an OL within the Top 35 and another developmental guy in the mid rounds.

Don’t do that, and Douglas can eat a bag of dicks and be tossed on the same pile as Macc, Idzik and Bradway. His first draft class sure as hell didn’t dictate to me that we can just collectively say f*ck free agency and we’ll build a super team through the draft.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Samtorobby47 said:

There’s still a variety of ways for this free agency to be a success. Still plenty of good players. 

Agreed.  More than one way to skin a cat(what a weird euphemism).

QB not with standing, I was hoping for 2 strong signings at any position of WR, RB, IOL, Edge and CB.  Still a chance to do that.  Fingers crossed.  I also think the IOL is the easiest position to draft a high quality starter at with our picks, absent of #2 which is reserved for QB.

It would be understandable for Robert Saleh to bring some familiar troops to New York, and the new Jets head coach has his eye on one of his former secondary pupils.

The former 49ers defensive coordinator appears to be interested in adding K’Waun Williams. The Jets have the veteran slot cornerback on their radar, per SNY’s Ralph Vacchiano (on Twitter). Williams is also interested in rejoining Saleh, Vacchiano adds, though the Jets are not expected to move toward a deal for a bit. That would be a slight risk, given Williams’ status as one of the game’s top slot corners, but Saleh would seem to have a good read on the veteran’s free agency plans.

Saleh and Williams each spent four seasons in San Francisco, with the 49ers signing the ex-Browns slot stopper in 2017. Williams excelled for much of his Bay Area stay, helping Saleh form one of the NFL’s top defenses over the past two seasons. He will turn 30 this offseason.

The Jets used Brian Poole as their slot corner in both years of the ill-fated Adam Gase–Gregg Williams partnership, re-signing Poole last year. But the veteran is now a free agent. With Saleh coming in, Poole may need to head elsewhere to continue his career. Williams and Poole would not seem to fit as teammates.