Robert Saleh interview with PFT

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just wish Jet fans weren't in such denial.  Jets look at it like this:  Can the Jets find a long-term upgrade who is head-and-shoulders better right now and/or has more upside than Sam

Saleh does not sound like a dude trading Sam Darnold. We will see what happens. But this could be more than just gamesmanship. Saleh sounded like he genuinely liked him. They asked him 2x. 

Saleh has played the Sam question 100% correct thusfar.  It is the A++ answer. There is no downside to it. Even if the Jets end up not drafting or trading for a QB, it is still uncertain enough to mak

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Saleh does not sound like a dude trading Sam Darnold. We will see what happens. But this could be more than just gamesmanship. Saleh sounded like he genuinely liked him. They asked him 2x. 

The more you hear Saleh speaking about Sam, it tells you who the first call to JD would be if he ever wanted to move him.😄

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Poker face.

• Upvote 4
8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

He used the same talking points about Sam that he’s been using this entire press run. The fact he still hasn’t said “Sam is our guy” ..... 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 3
9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Because Saleh isn’t stupid

he knows Sam has been setup to fail so far and that there aren’t better options at 2 and Watson probably isn’t coming here unless they get raped in a trade

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Just now, oatmeal said:

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

He used the same talking points about Sam that he’s been using this entire press run. The fact he still hasn’t said “Sam is our guy” ..... 🤷‍♂️

Can you de-encrypt some code for me?

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Because Saleh isn’t stupid

he knows Sam has been setup to fail so far and that there aren’t better options at 2 and Watson probably isn’t coming here unless they get raped in a trade

Yes because if he was trading Sam he would be bashing him in the media right now 🙄

Great logic 👍

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I take no solace from his answer that he took the Jets job because even though he heard this place was clownshoes, the Jets hierarchy held it together through a Zoom meeting and a steak dinner, and that convinced Saleh that this job was good now

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Yes because if he was trading Sam he would be bashing him in the media right now 🙄

Great logic 👍

Correct. 

The reality is if they were keeping him they would have already stated he's their guy.  Don't buy into the "we have to watch his film" 

This decision was made last off-season by JD.  Sam is gone.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Didn’t watch this yet but every time Saleh talks about Sam he repeats the same phrases word for word. It comes off a little less genuine to me after hearing it three, four times. I think he is playing the game well but it does not guarantee Sam is the starter of the Jets. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

People. Darnold detractors. They like Sam. Sam isn't being traded. Nor are ws trading for another QB. Forget Saleh. Douglas was asked about Sam, and the last thing he said was, "Im exited about Sam" The use of the word "I", pretty much tells you where Sam will be.

1 minute ago, Drums said:

Didn’t watch this yet but every time Saleh talks about Sam he repeats the same phrases word for word. It comes off a little less genuine to me after hearing it three, four times. 

Bingo

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think if we played some clips of KK talking about Rosen in this same time frame we'd hear much the same.

Huge difference. 

Kliff was bringing in an offense tailor made for the presumptive number 1 pick Kyler Murray, and everyone knew it, so he had to do his best to have a poker face to salvage anything resembling a trade for Rosen.  

But in our scenario, Saleh brought in an offense tailor made for the QB we already have in place. 

• Upvote 3
5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Correct. 

The reality is if they were keeping him they would have already stated he's their guy.  Don't buy into the "we have to watch his film" 

This decision was made last off-season by JD.  Sam is gone.

At the end of the season, I was about 85/15 that this is the case. Now, I'm 50/50 at best.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Like 2
37 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Does he actually like him, or is he like Bowles and doesn’t really have an opinion on who plays the position? Or was keeping Darnold a parameter of the job?

• Post of the Week 1
3 minutes ago, fullblast said:

I've watched a handful of Saleh interviews, he says the exact same thing about Darnold each time. Likely nearly word for word. Not sure what to make of that but it's kind of funny.

Always stop right before giving a commitment. Which is the most telling part

He did say he was excited to have chance to work with Sam, which I don't believe he has said in other interviews.  He did however follow that up with not committing to him.

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

I just wish Jet fans weren't in such denial. 

Jets look at it like this: 

1. Can the Jets find a long-term upgrade who is head-and-shoulders better right now and/or has more upside than Sam Darnold? By better, the Jets are focusing on the ability to step on the field right now and also in terms of ceiling. They're not holding the poor play against Sam... they don't put too much into stats and they think he has the kind of mindset and ability to buck the trend and overcome the past 2 years (they don't believe he has any confidence issues), especially in this new offense... they think a combination of factors between poor offensive/coaching fit, revolving door of lackluster talent, and a pandemic stricken offseason have been the primary factors impeding Sam's development. Being said, they will not pass up an opportunity to upgrade the position if someone significantly better were to become available (Deshaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence).
  2. Why the Jets don't view Wilson/Lance/Fields as players who are head-and-shoulders better than Sam? Because each of those players, while talented, are not slam dunks. Sam Darnold is 23 years old and is in the same tier of talent as these guys. Do you consider the contract? Yes. However, the Jets have no financial issues on the horizon... they don't have an expensive veteran roster that could benefit by having a QB on his rookie contract; whether the QB counts $10 million or $25 million against the cap it doesn't really affect their roster allocation budget. As far as the prospects themselves, even if these guys do develop into players who are better than Sam, will they be that much better? If Darnold hits his ceiling (they are confident he can), how much higher/lower is it than the draft crop? I do think the Jets see Wilson as a guy whose ceiling is probably higher than Sam's, but not by much. And with that, the Jets could add elite players around the QB by trading down and acquiring what is likely to be a 2021 1st, 2nd, future 1st, and future 2nd/3rd round picks while also hedging their bet (if Sam doesn't work out, they can start over in 2022 with plenty of capital to go find a QB) whereas if they draft Wilson, they're stuck with him until 2024 and probably only get a 2nd round pick for Sam. 

I believe they will ultimately determine that QB Sam Darnold + Value of #2 in Trade > QB #2 + Value of Darnold in Trade if they haven't already. 

Now if they can get a player like Deshaun Watson at a reasonable price? Then QB Deshaun Watson > QB Darnold + Value of #2. Otherwise, I believe they'll be moving forward with Sam. 

This is what the Jets think and FANS are in denial? Yeah, okay.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I also am not sure what to make of his exact repeated talking points in Sam.  He does impress me and talk more naturally when discussing his schemes and coaching relationships and choices a s he’s clearly very thoughtful on the entire process which brings me to a question:

who exactly was responsible for mandating Greg Williams to a new HC? I can’t think of anything more a$$ backwards than this on multiple levels.  Was this a mcaganan call? Seems odd Chris would be so adamant on something like that given his personality.  Curious if the backstory ever came out. 

2 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

I mean, if this--

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

They're not holding the poor play against Sam... they don't put too much into stats and they think he has the kind of mindset and ability to buck the trend and overcome the past 2 years (they don't believe he has any confidence issues), especially in this new offense... they think a combination of factors between poor offensive/coaching fit, revolving door of lackluster talent, and a pandemic stricken offseason have been the primary factors impeding Sam's development.

--is an accurate reflection of how Douglas and Saleh feel, then the Jets and the fans are essentially indistinguishable.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

You gotta love the self important bozos who frequent this site. Smfh “I wish jet fans weren’t in such denial” - like who tf died and made you the football god. 🤡 

20 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Here's a better one:

A. Robert Saleh works for Joe Douglas.

2. Joe Douglas works for Jimmy Sexton.

D. Jimmy Sexton works for Sam Darnold.

This

You can’t tell me that the fact that our GM and starting QB share the same agent,  isn’t a complete conflict of interest. Smh how would hypothetical contract negotiations work, if we we’re looking  to extend Darnold? 

Smfh parts of the clown show is still here even after cleaning house