Robert Saleh interview with PFT

Jetsbb

48 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

This is what the Jets think and FANS are in denial? Yeah, okay.

Never once did I say the Jets were right or wrong. Maybe they are in denial; I'm indifferent to that. But Jets fans are in denial for convincing themselves that Sam absolutely won't be back for the sole purpose that they don't want him back. Literally the 5 stages of grief unfolding before our very eyes with some of you guys 

20 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

You gotta love the self important bozos who frequent this site. Smfh “I wish jet fans weren’t in such denial” - like who tf died and made you the football god. ? 

I mean you act like a cuck on the reg so I don't even care about what you contribute anymore. I recognize you have emotional issues and don't wish to add to your disturbances, but at least have the balls to tag me if you're going to insinuate that I'm a "self important bozo"... douche

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fullblast said:

I've watched a handful of Saleh interviews, he says the exact same thing about Darnold each time. Likely nearly word for word. Not sure what to make of that but it's kind of funny.

He says the same exact thing in every interview. Even said the same thing about the "Mikey" comment in reference to Mike LaFleur. This is common. 

Best way to put it: I graduated from college in 2014 and when I went on a flurry of job interviews, I pretty much had a boilerplate answer for every question. It wasn't a script, but it just helped me answer the redundant/anticipated questions without preparing for them like 12 different times. When I was asked a unique question I became more insightful. That's what I would make of Saleh's repetitive answers 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Here's a better one:

A. Robert Saleh works for Joe Douglas.

2. Joe Douglas works for Jimmy Sexton.

D. Jimmy Sexton works for Sam Darnold.

Jimmy actually works for Joe Douglas, but I won't say the whole Jimmy Sexton factor is irrelevant. It certainly carries some relevance. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Does he actually like him, or is he like Bowles and doesn’t really have an opinion on who plays the position? Or was keeping Darnold a parameter of the job?

When simms asks him who are the players on the offensive side that you scouted against for week 2, Mekhi Becton was the first name he mentioned and Sam was the second. It really does make sense to see what darnold does in a Shanahan offense that is supposed to be perfect for darnold. I don't know if that was a precondition or a coincidence but either way it sounds like more Sam in 21

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

Never once did I say the Jets were right or wrong. Maybe they are in denial; I'm indifferent to that. But Jets fans are in denial for convincing themselves that Sam absolutely won't be back for the sole purpose that they don't want him back. Literally the 5 stages of grief unfolding before our very eyes with some of you guys

Darnold will absolutely be back but it is more likely because Douglas is corrupt than because he is that stupid.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

At the end of the season, I was about 85/15 that this is the case. Now, I'm 50/50 at best.

I really hope this is the case because if it's not JD thought he was putting a good team on the field and we're in more trouble than we think.

If Sam was the guy you don't surround him with the garbage JD did this year.  You build around your QB.  Sam was a sacrificial lamb.  He's gone.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, football guy said:

Jimmy actually works for Joe Douglas, but I won't say the whole Jimmy Sexton factor is irrelevant. It certainly carries some relevance. 

If you're hip to the second part I'm not sure why you're confused on the first part. Douglas makes 3 million and Darnold's second contract is a hundred million.

• Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

If you're hip to the second part I'm not sure why you're confused on the first part. Douglas makes 3 million and Darnold's second contract is a hundred million.

Agents are wild man lol. Some of them still pick up pennies from the street. Every dollar counts. 

Jimmy will play hardball with his non-clients. He'll reason with Joe because Joe made him money and vice a versa. But I wouldn't say Joe "works" for him. You do have a point though, just a matter of semantics 

17 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

The only good part is that other than Darnold himself, the stuff they're going to do to manufacture a contract season bounce is pretty much the same stuff they'd do to try to win games.

100% agree, IMO if Darnold stays it’s because of that agent BS.

You know something though IF they do keep Darnold because of all the wrong reasons he will 100% flame out. That kid can’t  handle the pressure situations period and the final kick in the nuts will be the success of Fields,Wilson,Lance. 

They can try and put all the lipstick and makeup in the world on that pig, ultimately they will all be exposed 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

I believe they will ultimately determine that QB Sam Darnold + Value of #2 in Trade > QB #2 + Value of Darnold in Trade if they haven't already. 

Now if they can get a player like Deshaun Watson at a reasonable price? Then QB Deshaun Watson > QB Darnold + Value of #2. Otherwise, I believe they'll be moving forward with Sam. 

Interesting. I think they come to the opposite conclusion.. Saleh will want his guy. A rookie lowers expectations for a couple years. Nothing stopping them btw from Drafting Wilson AND keeping Sam and trading Sam if Wilson shows out right away.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Interesting. I think they come to the opposite conclusion.. Saleh will want his guy. A rookie lowers expectations for a couple years. Nothing stopping them btw from Drafting Wilson AND keeping Sam and trading Sam if Wilson shows out right away.

Here's another perspective you may not have thought of: what if the Deshaun Watson situation drags out into training camp or into the season and then he becomes available? If you draft a QB at #2 and the Texans don't want that player, opting to start fresh, then what to do you about acquiring Deshaun? If you don't take a QB and stick with Darnold, you maintain that flexibility. 

Bet not many have thought of that one...

• Upvote 1

I just wish Jet fans weren't in such denial. 

Jets look at it like this: 

1. Can the Jets find a long-term upgrade who is head-and-shoulders better right now and/or has more upside than Sam Darnold? By better, the Jets are focusing on the ability to step on the field right now and also in terms of ceiling. They're not holding the poor play against Sam... they don't put too much into stats and they think he has the kind of mindset and ability to buck the trend and overcome the past 2 years (they don't believe he has any confidence issues), especially in this new offense... they think a combination of factors between poor offensive/coaching fit, revolving door of lackluster talent, and a pandemic stricken offseason have been the primary factors impeding Sam's development. Being said, they will not pass up an opportunity to upgrade the position if someone significantly better were to become available (Deshaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence).
  2. Why the Jets don't view Wilson/Lance/Fields as players who are head-and-shoulders better than Sam? Because each of those players, while talented, are not slam dunks. Sam Darnold is 23 years old and is in the same tier of talent as these guys. Do you consider the contract? Yes. However, the Jets have no financial issues on the horizon... they don't have an expensive veteran roster that could benefit by having a QB on his rookie contract; whether the QB counts $10 million or $25 million against the cap it doesn't really affect their roster allocation budget. As far as the prospects themselves, even if these guys do develop into players who are better than Sam, will they be that much better? If Darnold hits his ceiling (they are confident he can), how much higher/lower is it than the draft crop? I do think the Jets see Wilson as a guy whose ceiling is probably higher than Sam's, but not by much. And with that, the Jets could add elite players around the QB by trading down and acquiring what is likely to be a 2021 1st, 2nd, future 1st, and future 2nd/3rd round picks while also hedging their bet (if Sam doesn't work out, they can start over in 2022 with plenty of capital to go find a QB) whereas if they draft Wilson, they're stuck with him until 2024 and probably only get a 2nd round pick for Sam. 

I believe they will ultimately determine that QB Sam Darnold + Value of #2 in Trade > QB #2 + Value of Darnold in Trade if they haven't already. 

Now if they can get a player like Deshaun Watson at a reasonable price? Then QB Deshaun Watson > QB Darnold + Value of #2. Otherwise, I believe they'll be moving forward with Sam. 

Well constructed rationalization for riding with the worst starting QB in the NFL when you don't really have to.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

Here's another perspective you may not have thought of: what if the Deshaun Watson situation drags out into training camp or into the season and then he becomes available? If you draft a QB at #2 and the Texans don't want that player, opting to start fresh, then what to do you about acquiring Deshaun? If you don't take a QB and stick with Darnold, you maintain that flexibility. 

Houston will have made their decision prior to the draft...... they’ll see if bridges can be rebuilt and if not get as much draft capital as you can. They’ll also see what deal the Lions get for Stanford and go up from there.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Correct. 

The reality is if they were keeping him they would have already stated he's their guy.  Don't buy into the "we have to watch his film" 

This decision was made last off-season by JD.  Sam is gone.

This isn't the reality at all. That would make no sense. You say we are looking at all angles and tell others you have interest in a QB at #2. That would drive up the price if you decide to trade it.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, football guy said:

Can we send Deshaun a playbook now and tell him the trade isn't happening until June but start reading anyway? I'd be for that option.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

This isn't the reality at all. That would make no sense. You say we are looking at all angles and tell others you have interest in a QB at #2. That would drive up the price if you decide to trade it.

My point is this decision has already been made. 

If they were planning on keeping him they would have already said so - you don't leave your starting QB hanging out there.  Kinda like Todd Bowles did with Fitz not under contract.

• Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, football guy said:

Watson if he is traded will be traded before the draft period. Personally I just think even with the risk Wilson and no lost draft capital>>>Watson and a significant amount of draft capital. Rookie QBs on rookie contracts have been shown over and over and over again to be powerful way to build a team even if average, with the big exceptions being Rosen and Darnold. If we can get Watson for reasonable value and not lose the #2 pick I am OK with that.

Look Wilson will make around $10 million a year for four years. Watson after the first is over $40 million. $30 million is literally like 6-10 GOOD free agents. Watson comes with HUGE cost. Less draft capital, way less cap space and huge opportunity cost. 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Watson if he is traded will be traded before the draft period. Personally I just think even with the risk Wilson and no lost draft capital>>>Watson and a significant amount of draft capital. Rookie QBs on rookie contracts have been shown over and over and over again to be powerful way to build a team even if average, with the big exceptions being Rosen and Darnold. If we can get Watson for reasonable value and not lose the #2 pick I am OK with that.

Look Wilson will make around $10 million a year for four years. Watson after the first is over $40 million. $30 million is literally like 6-10 GOOD free agents. Watson comes with HUGE cost. Less draft capital, way less cap space and huge opportunity cost. 

I think there's a better chance he gets traded in training camp/mid-season/next offseason than he does this offseason. If his threat is perceived as "real" - and it will only become real when he's actually sitting out - the Texans may reconsider their stance and buy-in to a full-fledged blow up and subsequent rebuild. 

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Don't see it. Deciding on what to do with Darnold is the most important decision Douglas is going to make after picking a HC. It will determine the future of the team for years to come and, in turn, it will determine JD's future as well. He's going to do what he thinks will make the Jets a playoff team. That--not making his agent happy--will determine whether he gets a contract extension.

• Sympathy 1

Saleh does not sound like a dude trading Sam Darnold. We will see what happens. But this could be more than just gamesmanship. Saleh sounded like he genuinely liked him. They asked him 2x. 

The number one rumored landing spot for Darnold was SF up until the Saleh hire. I think Sam is staying but no new coach gives away starting positions.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, genot said:

People. Darnold detractors. They like Sam. Sam isn't being traded. Nor are ws trading for another QB. Forget Saleh. Douglas was asked about Sam, and the last thing he said was, "Im exited about Sam" The use of the word "I", pretty much tells you where Sam will be.

Some of you are far too trusting. Do you think a poker player will tell you he has the nuts if you ask him? These are all media nonsense answers, nothing more and nothing less. Do the Jets know yet what they will do? Most likely not as several different scenarios have yet to play themselves out i.e. Watson, demand for number 2 pick increasing as FOMO sets in. The Jets are keeping their options open, which is a smart, grown-up thing to do, very encouraging as a Jets fan.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Don't see it. Deciding on what to do with Darnold is the most important decision Douglas is going to make after picking a HC. It will determine the future of the team for years to come and, in turn, it will determine JD's future as well. He's going to do what he thinks will make the Jets a playoff team. That--not making his agent happy--will determine whether he gets a contract extension.

God I hope your correct but it definitely seems as if this powerful agent is setting the seeds of Darnolds return through his lackeys in the media.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mantozone.com/2020/04/15/jimmy-sexton-and-the-rotting-corpse-of-the-new-york-jets/amp/

^^read this 

This agent understands how much the media influences public perception, he also stands to gain wayyyyy more from a QB contact than a GM contract. When is the last time you seen a NfL team contemplating keeping the worst player at a position when there’s cheaper, younger and all-star options for replacements?

This situation is a no brainer and the Jets should be moving on from Darnold period but the fact there’s even a question is extremely fishy to me. I hope I’m wrong though and you’re right and Joe Douglas won’t put us in a Golf/Wentz situation.

I mean you act like a cuck on the reg so I don't even care about what you contribute anymore. I recognize you have emotional issues and don't wish to add to your disturbances, but at least have the balls to tag me if you're going to insinuate that I'm a "self important bozo"... douche

your self righteousness really is troubling - about this issue.

13 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

God I hope your correct but it definitely seems as if this powerful agent is setting the seeds of Darnolds return through his lackeys in the media.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mantozone.com/2020/04/15/jimmy-sexton-and-the-rotting-corpse-of-the-new-york-jets/amp/

^^read this 

This agent understands how much the media influences public perception, he also stands to gain wayyyyy more from a QB contact than a GM contract. When is the last time you seen a NfL team contemplating keeping the worst player at a position when there’s cheaper, younger and all-star options for replacements?

This situation is a no brainer and the Jets should be moving on from Darnold period but the fact there’s even a question is extremely fishy to me. I hope I’m wrong though and you’re right and Joe Douglas won’t put us in a Golf/Wentz situation.

They're keeping their options open this early in the game - as they should.

They will ultimately decide to move on from Sam and take a QB at 2.  I'm sure in the back of their minds, or more likely in their reality discussions this is already the case.  

But they'll do their due diligence and end up where it makes the most sense.  Keeping Sam has way too many pitfalls.

• Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think there's a better chance he gets traded in training camp/mid-season/next offseason than he does this offseason. If his threat is perceived as "real" - and it will only become real when he's actually sitting out - the Texans may reconsider their stance and buy-in to a full-fledged blow up and subsequent rebuild. 

So they will waste an entire draft class(no 1st or 2nd rd pick) and live with the speculation and anger of the fan base into the summer? Then what are you trading him for before the start of the season.......Jamie’s Winston?

No, you determine if relationship is reparable and if not you get maximum value. If you wait until next off season you wasted his last affordable year ($10 mil) before the 30+ mil cap hits start. That will reduce your compensation especially if things get worse 

You lose value if you wait until after the draft on many levels

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

You know something though IF they do keep Darnold because of all the wrong reasons he will 100% flame out. That kid can’t  handle the pressure situations period and the final kick in the nuts will be the success of Fields,Wilson,Lance. 

They can try and put all the lipstick and makeup in the world on that pig, ultimately they will all be exposed 

All 3 will succeed?  Wow

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Saleh has played the Sam question 100% correct thusfar.  It is the A++ answer. There is no downside to it. Even if the Jets end up not drafting or trading for a QB, it is still uncertain enough to make Sam uncomfortable, but pumps Sam up enough so other teams don't think that Sam's trade value is just north of a case of Welch's Grape Soda.

Damn could I go for some Welch's Grape Soda now, I forgot how good that sh*t is.  7/11 better have it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

I have never seen a fanbase so obsessed over a QB who has two bas knees and compiles garbage time stats for a 4-12 team. Unbelievable. I thought this fanbases bottom was when they were destroying Josh Allen pre draft. Nope, here we go with an even dumber idea.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Keeping Darnold trumps anything I have seen by farrrrrrr

• Sympathy 1