The Jets Need to Extend Darnold

48 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

That has nothing to do with my post and I agreed to that earlier in the thread.

I'm not attacking you.  The OP didn't advocate paying him Goff and Wentz money.  He advocated giving him short money as a hedge in case he doesn't suck.  We already have a hedge.  We own his rights.   I love doggin, great poster and thinker, but in this case I think he missed the mark.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

My post makes a whole ton of sense because Darnold is not signing a 4-year extension for cheap starting QB money with just 1 year guaranteed. It could not happen, would not happen, will not happen. 

Darnold has no incentive to sign it with a new coaching staff and a GM with the better part of $100MM to spend. The only incentive you could give him would be to take a discount (i.e. a ceiling on how much he can make) in exchange for multiple guaranteed seasons, which would tie the Jets to him through the end of the 2022 season even if he's terrible. 

You're looking at it from the point of view of someone who wants to cash in on buying low, not from his point of view of a QB who is still a name, who still believes in his own ability in a better situation, and despite that still selling himself low. 

The Jets are unlikely to exercise his 5th year option. They're not going to change their minds if they can do that plus get 3 more bonus team-option years at $20-25MM/year thereafter, even if they could miraculously get Darnold to agree to it in the first place.

GMs are (correctly) far more concerned with finding a FQB outright than finding one for $12MM less than the going rate. 

LOL. 

At no point did I mention numbers/years. Doggin is suggesting a modified Teddy B contract. You just above mentioned guaranteeing Sam two years which is Teddy B's contract. You two need to get a room and hash it out bc you're pretty close to an agreement. 

My point is the Jets are not passing on a QB @ 2 with Sam in a walk year without addressing that contract. Its not some hot take. Its just common sense. We have a ton of leverage and several options at QB. My take is if its draft day and Sam was not signed to a team friendly contract we will be drafting Zach Wilson @ 2 and Sam will be traded shortly after. Whats the terms of the team friendly contract? I'll trust you and Doggin to define the particulars on that one. 

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

LOL. 

At no point did I mention numbers/years. Doggin is suggesting a modified Teddy B contract. You just above mentioned guaranteeing Sam two years which is Teddy B's contract. You two need to get a room and hash it out bc you're pretty close to an agreement. 

My point is the Jets are not passing on a QB @ 2 with Sam in a walk year without addressing that contract. Its not some hot take. Its just common sense. We have a ton of leverage and several options at QB. My take is if its draft day and Sam was not signed to a team friendly contract we will be drafting Zach Wilson @ 2 and Sam will be traded shortly after. Whats the terms of the team friendly contract? I'll trust you and Doggin to define the particulars on that one. 

He suggested only guaranteeing one of the $20MM+ years. I'm saying it'd take at least double that to even get Darnold to listen to a conversation, and I'm not right now even willing to guarantee one year let alone two. 

And yes the Jets absolutely can pass on a QB and still play wait & see with Darnold. It's smarter than getting deeper into bed with a guy who might not even be the starting QB week 1 (never mind all 16 games heading into the 2022 offseason). If he's all that he can be extended during the season or tagged. 

The "problem" you see with that is I think you're vastly overestimating the likelihood of that occurring. If it does happen, they can always extend him later. I usually like getting in early rather than later on contracts, but that's for guys who've already shown they're probably your guy not someone who, after 3 seasons, has given you more reason to look elsewhere than to bet on him some more.

Biggest investment they'd make in him, beyond 2021, is simply exercising the 5th year option. It's not ideal, but at least you're only signing on for 1 more guaranteed season in excess of $20MM not two more. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So you think a team who would be trading for Darnold would be cool with the Jets having given him an extension first?

No.  Let his new team decide what his new contract will be.  This would only serve to reduce his trade value, not increase it.

If that extension locked him in at below market (to them) for a starting qb? Yes

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

I'm not attacking you.  The OP didn't advocate paying him Goff and Wentz money.  He advocated giving him short money as a hedge in case he doesn't suck.  We already have a hedge.  We own his rights.   I love doggin, great poster and thinker, but in this case I think he missed the mark.  

Come the end of 2021, we'll only "own his rights" in the sense that we can tag him at 35+M. That's... not a very good hedge, imo. 

Thanks for the kind words