Trade Down.... But for Trey Lance

JetBlue

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I know there are no guarantees but if we could get the Lions to trade their 7th, and 21st along with other draft picks, for # 2, I would strongly consider doing it and drafting Trey Lance. The key is knowing he probably needs to sit for a year.  We could bring back Darnold and let them compete and then trade Darnold next year.  If Darnold show signs of becoming the player we thought he would be, we could always turn around and trade Lance.  Either way we would have our franchise quarterback and the capital to build around them.   If Lance is gone at 7, take Pitts or best available offensive player (Chase, Smith etc.) and roll with Sam for the year.   Either way you look at it, we can add some serious talent.  If Sam is not the answer, we will have Lance waiting in the wings and ready to take over by mid season or next.  

Fck no. 

Lance shouldn't even be in the conversation until round 2-4.... but even if like him, he doesn't belong in the conversation with top tier talent.

Pitts>>>Lance all damn day

giphy.gif?resize=337,188&ssl=1

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Fck no. 

Lance shouldn't even be in the conversation until round 2-4.... but even if like him, he doesn't belong in the conversation with top tier talent.

Pitts>>>Lance all damn day

giphy.gif?resize=337,188&ssl=1

Says the guy who sh*tted all over Mahomes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I don't see any issues... do you?  Remember all the negatives they said about Josh Allen... Get this kid the right coaching and you have a star.  

"Get this kid the right coaching and you have a star". Maybe JD feels that way about Darnold. Darnold hasn't had any coaching ths last two years. Lol.

To reach their own, so I won't labor over Lance - did that enough with Football guy, but watch this game and tell it me doesn't at least raise questions.

I know, don't want to make everything about 1 game... but this is the only FBS game he played. the rest were NDSU beatdowns of significantly lesser FCS opponents. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Says the guy who sh*tted all over Mahomes. 

so fcking what? I was also right about 100000000x other players.

and for the record, smart ass - what i said about Mahomes was that 1/2 of his college tape didnt' translate to the NFL and I don't trust him. He won't be able to scramble around like that and make those throws... he proved me wrong. But it wasn't like i said he sucked. Pal. 

I know there are no guarantees but if we could get the Lions to trade their 7th, and 21st along with other draft picks, for # 2, I would strongly consider doing it and drafting Trey Lance. The key is knowing he probably needs to sit for a year.  We could bring back Darnold and let them compete and then trade Darnold next year.  If Darnold show signs of becoming the player we thought he would be, we could always turn around and trade Lance.  Either way we would have our franchise quarterback and the capital to build around them.   If Lance is gone at 7, take Pitts or best available offensive player (Chase, Smith etc.) and roll with Sam for the year.   Either way you look at it, we can add some serious talent.  If Sam is not the answer, we will have Lance waiting in the wings and ready to take over by mid season or next.  

If you are confident Lance is the guy you don't fool around and you take him at #2. Maybe trade down one spot with Miami who you know isn't looking to take a QB. What if Lance is gone by 7 and Darnold ends up falling on his face after you pick up his option and pay him 25mil? Have we really seen anything from him so far to tell us that such a thing couldn't happen? Sure, trading down and still getting your QB would be awesome. But thats super risky. I say try to trade Darnold for whatever you can get and draft a QB at #2. If you are COMPLETELY not sold on any of the QBs in this draft class, fine, trade down or take Sewel or whatever. But between Fields, Lance, and Wilson I think we will see a stud in the NFL. Don't pick up Darnold's option, if it comes to it, and there is absolutely no market for him, just take the sunken cost and let him walk in FA after this year. At least you will have a backup and some competition for your rookie for a year. 

I'm going to tell you right now. Sam is not the answer. At least not for the Jets. His time here has run out. He needs to start over elsewhere on a new contract. This upcoming season is not his last chance to prove himself under a new regime. Its a lame duck year, a season to audition for other teams. The Jets will take the first decent offer for him.  

10 minutes ago, PepPep said:

What if Lance is gone by 7 and Darnold ends up falling on his face after you pick up his option and pay him 25mil? 

When did the options change that dramatically--

Edit** i see... ratified this past year in bargaining. Nah i wouldn't pick up his option either. If he doesn't enough an extention - good. He earned it. 

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

For what little it's worth, I just ran the NFL Draft Simulator a half dozen times, and Lance never went later than the 10th pick.

In one of those runs, the Lions DID Offer me pick #7 (and more) for #2 overall.  They offered (I'd I'd take in a heartbeat for #2 overall!):

• Pick 7

• Pick 41

• Pick 72

• 2022 DET 1st

• 2022 DET 2nd

I went ahead and saved a picture of my results of that draft:

Lance Draft.jpg

• Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Paradis said:

To reach their own, so I won't labor over Lance - did that enough with Football guy, but watch this game and tell it me doesn't at least raise questions.

I know, don't want to make everything about 1 game... but this is the only FBS game he played. the rest were NDSU beatdowns of significantly lesser FCS opponents. 

This vid does not change my opinion at all of Lance. He's a raw, super talented prospect. You can see how raw he is in this game. You may miss that if you are just looking at his highlights or if you just look at his season stats, which are eye-popping. But he has a lot of refinement and work before he becomes a polished QB. You can also see how friggin talented he is, even in this game- which wasn't his best. 

So to me, it's not so much about concern. I'm not concerned about drafting Lance if I'm confident my coaching staff can develop him an he can flourish in my system. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, PepPep said:

This vid does not change my opinion at all of Lance. He's a raw, super talented prospect. You can see how raw he is in this game. You may miss that if you are just looking at his highlights or if you just look at his season stats, which are eye-popping. But he has a lot of refinement and work before he becomes a polished QB. You can also see how friggin talented he is, even in this game- which wasn't his best. 

Hackenberg looked like this. 

but regardless, I’m not passing on a bevy of other players for what you MIGHT get from Lance. 

• WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Oh come on one game, you can pick out terrible looks from  Lawrence, fields and wilson.

Sure. And I said that in my post. This was of particular interest also, for the reason I stated in the post. 

Inline with everything today - it’s not absolute conversation. Of course there’s lots to like about Trey Lance. Some pretty sexy clay to work with there. And I would entertain that notion... in the 3rd round. Maybe 2nd if my staff were convinced I would never see Trey Hackenberg again. 

Just now, Paradis said:

Sure. And I said that in my post. This was of particular interest also, for the reason I stated in the post. 

Inline with everything today - it’s not absolute conversation. Of course there’s lots to like about Trey Lance. Some pretty sexy clay to work with their. And I would entertain that notion... in the 3rd round. Maybe 2nd if my staff were convinced I would never see Trey Hackenberg again. 

I don't think those two guys are at all alike.  And I'm not saying Lance is a grade A prospect, he is just not Hackensuck and has a very different skill set.

I personally don't think this whole QB class is any better and probably worse than some recently, and that includes the golden boy.

This time next year we will be talking about another 4 1st round QB prospects.

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This time next year we will be talking about another 4 1st round QB prospects.

Yep. Annually these new "generational" options seem sprout up like mushrooms. (btw, hit me up post covid for a REAL island adventure)

No, I don't think Lance is as bad as Hackenberg,... i don't often have strong opinions on QBs anymore outside of personal preference.  I do think his fanbase are totally glossing over some real question marks... and some of that peaked its head in against an FBS opponent.  Horrible game.

Fields is the only guy besides Mac Jones (later) that i would be like - OK.. lets party. Otherwise, give me Pitts.

Says who?  Go back and look at his game film.  While you are at it look at the scouting reports on the "accuracy" issues Josh Allen had.  I think we would all like a do over on that draft.  We get our quarterback and have 3 second round picks to build around him.   It is all about the coaching and it appears that for the first time in forever, we just might have the right coaches to develop a young quarterback. 

Allen had legit accuracy issues. Credit to the Bill organization  doing what they needed to minimize them. We are talking about the Jets here. 

• Sympathy 1

Says who?  Go back and look at his game film.  While you are at it look at the scouting reports on the "accuracy" issues Josh Allen had.  I think we would all like a do over on that draft.  We get our quarterback and have 3 second round picks to build around him.   It is all about the coaching and it appears that for the first time in forever, we just might have the right coaches to develop a young quarterback. 

Oh, as far as who, Daniel Jeremiah.  He seems to be kind of respected around here. 

It’s so hard to tell.  Who would’ve thought Brady would be the goat or guys like mariota or Winston would fall off so fast.  I’m thinking all of these good prospect know how to read defenses and have good, accurate arms.  The thing that will separate them will be decision making and attitude.  They don’t need to be rocket scientists.  I don’t think Marino and Fabre can spell cat if you gave them the c and the t but those guys sure knew how the play would develop.  IMO the jets sort of have an advantage if they’re not too concerned with riding darnold for next season. They can draft and sit his successor. If darnold works out, great otherwise the next guy is right there. We’ll see what happens.

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Oh, as far as who, Daniel Jeremiah.  He seems to be kind of respected around here. 

Yeah but he is not God so he is just giving an opinion.  As I said, the kid needs to be coached up but you can find something negative about each quarterback prospect.  From everything I personally have seen, he is more deep ball accurate than Darnold, who went third a few years ago.