Trade Down.... But for Trey Lance

On 1/28/2021 at 9:26 AM, More Cowbell said:

Based on what? How many times have we seen this dog and pony show here. Did you just come down with the last drop of rain. Yes,  I hope Saleh is the real deal and I like who he brought in on the CS but until I see results that say this team is different, call me skeptical.  I have fallen for this way too many times and have seen nothing  as far s long term results because of ownership. We don't  know how this goes until the game starts. Even Gase got this same adulation when he was hired.  I'm not even 100% on JD's bandwagon yet. His first draft class has not exactly been stunning. The only solid pick was Becton. Mims I really don't  understand all the cheering. He had zero TD's. I don't  want to hear about how he was injured, Crowder was also injured and he managed to score. When Barrios has more TD's than a guy that is supposed to be a #1, there is something wrong.

Based on the fact he has nothing to do with previous Jet failures and comes in with a clean slate.   I disagree regarding JD.  I think he had a very good draft besides Becton.  Mims, Mann, Davis, Hall and Perine all showed signs of being consistent contributors and should only improve.  The jury is out on Morgan, Clark and Zuniga and I am okay with seeing where they are with a full training camp and assuming they are all healthy.  More importantly has been his approach.  The haul he received on the Adams trade is enough to earn my respect.   

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know there are no guarantees but if we could get the Lions to trade their 7th, and 21st along with other draft picks, for # 2, I would strongly consider doing it and drafting Trey Lance. The key is

I like this as well.   A trade down will give us a lot of options but a trade down and get a QB prospect even if he needs seasoning is a decent idea. Heck for all we know a trade down and Fields

The idea of drafting a one-year starter at 2 is terrifying, but Josh Allen is going to finish second in MVP voting, so who ******* knows who's good anymore

Posted Images

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Based on the fact he has nothing to do with previous Jet failures and comes in with a clean slate.   I disagree regarding JD.  I think he had a very good draft besides Becton.  Mims, Mann, Davis, Hall and Perine all showed signs of being consistent contributors and should only improve.  The jury is out on Morgan, Clark and Zuniga and I am okay with seeing where they are with a full training camp and assuming they are all healthy.  More importantly has been his approach.  The haul he received on the Adams trade is enough to earn my respect.   

Mims is supposed to be a 1, we will be fortunate he becomes a 2. All he does is catch passes. He is Ed McCaffery. Mann, Davis, Perine. Are you serious? None of them have shown up. I would bet Davis and Perine aren't  even sure things to make the team next season,  Halloween has flashed. I'm not even going to mention Morgan, Clark, and Zuniga. Those are wasted picks.

19 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Mims is supposed to be a 1, we will be fortunate he becomes a 2. All he does is catch passes. He is Ed McCaffery. Mann, Davis, Perine. Are you serious? None of them have shown up. I would bet Davis and Perine aren't  even sure things to make the team next season,  Halloween has flashed. I'm not even going to mention Morgan, Clark, and Zuniga. Those are wasted picks.

Wow so they only get one season in the NFL.  Thank God you are not the GM.  Lets just agree to disagree because obviously there is no point in continuing the conversation when you have already made up your mind after one season.  A season where there was no rookie mini camps, training camp etc., a number of those players being injured most of the season,  and last but definitely not least, the GASE factor.  I will definitely wait until next season before making in definitive declarations about wasted picks, but I guess you know better.  

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Wow so they only get one season in the NFL.  Thank God you are not the GM.  Lets just agree to disagree because obviously there is no point in continuing the conversation when you have already made up your mind after one season.  A season where there was no rookie mini camps, training camp etc., a number of those players being injured most of the season,  and last but definitely not least, the GASE factor.  I will definitely wait until next season before making in definitive declarations about wasted picks, but I guess you know better.  

Look at other rookie WR's. Sorry but I believe there was no camp for them either. Barrios was better than Mims. That is what I am going by. Other WR's on the team did ok, Mims not finding the EZ is a big issue IMO. I mean what game can you say he showed up in? Davis played so bad so.e games I felt sorry for him. Morgan couldn't  even get ahead of an Old Flacco not even one game? Seriously?

All this is is an excuse to make JD look like he can draft when the truth is the jury is still out. I'm not saying these players can't  turn it around but I saw nothing in 2020 except Becton as far as picks went.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping Up!!!!

Trey Lance all day!

Listen...

Stick with Sam; drop down a little and pick up a Trey Lance and let him sit and learn and then bring Lance in a year after sitting..

It is simple.... the Jets consistently rush the QB. From Sanchez, Smith to Darnold the QBs they have picked all were said to be development projects and not one of them was developed and that is an organizational failure.

No QB in this Draft other than Lawrence and maybe Fields should immediately start!  All QBs should be sat for a year and I would sit Fields as well too!!

Enough of not properly developing QBs!

• Upvote 1
On 2/7/2021 at 4:16 PM, More Cowbell said:

Look at other rookie WR's. Sorry but I believe there was no camp for them either. Barrios was better than Mims. That is what I am going by. Other WR's on the team did ok, Mims not finding the EZ is a big issue IMO. I mean what game can you say he showed up in? Davis played so bad so.e games I felt sorry for him. Morgan couldn't  even get ahead of an Old Flacco not even one game? Seriously?

All this is is an excuse to make JD look like he can draft when the truth is the jury is still out. I'm not saying these players can't  turn it around but I saw nothing in 2020 except Becton as far as picks went.

Whos making excuses?

Its the first year of his first draft without the benefit of camp or a preseason game. 

You've come to the conclusion that Mims cant become not only a 1 but he'd be lucky to be a 2?  OK, you might be exaggerating off of his rookie year.  See, Williams, Quinnen

33 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

This makes no sense if you believe in wilson

If you really believe in Wilson, you too would want the Jets let him sit an not rush him to soon like we have done for the last decade!

• Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Bumping Up!!!!

Trey Lance all day!

Listen...

Stick with Sam; drop down a little and pick up a Trey Lance and let him sit and learn and then bring Lance in a year after sitting..

It is simple.... the Jets consistently rush the QB. From Sanchez, Smith to Darnold the QBs they have picked all were said to be development projects and not one of them was developed and that is an organizational failure.

No QB in this Draft other than Lawrence and maybe Fields should immediately start!  All QBs should be sat for a year and I would sit Fields as well too!!

Theres a side of me that totally agrees with you CB.  Trade down from the 2nd overall, grab an extra 1 either this year or next and use the highest 1st round  and take that chance on Lance, let him sit behind Sam for a year.  If Sam turns it around we have a trade chip for next season.  

• Upvote 2
On 1/27/2021 at 5:04 PM, JetBlue said:

I don't see any issues... do you?  Remember all the negatives they said about Josh Allen... Get this kid the right coaching and you have a star.  

I have been discussing Trey Lance with a very good friend of mine NY Jets fan who moved to Arizona recently.  

He played college football and really likes Lance says he is this years QB draft Patrick Mahomes. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I have been discussing Trey Lance with a very good friend of mine NY Jets fan who moved to Arizona recently.  

He played college football and really likes Lance says he is this years QB draft Patrick Mahomes. 

More Josh Allen to me, without the accuracy issues.  

• Upvote 2
Just now, Jet Nut said:

More Josh Allen to me, without the accuracy issues.  

Thats actually a good thing. 

I haven't seen enough of him play to make a determination, my friend is all in on him. 

Says the NY Jets will be sorry like they are with Mahomes and Watson if they don't select him in the draft. 

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Theres a side of me that totally agrees with you CB.  Trade down from the 2nd overall, grab an extra 1 either this year or next and use the highest 1st round  and take that chance on Lance, let him sit behind Sam for a year.  If Sam turns it around we have a trade chip for next season.  

I agree...

This is what I believe the Jets should do for the reasons you put here and because Jets fans are just not patient, we are not as a rule.

Look when Sanchez came out and his own college coach said that he wasn't ready to start in the NFL folks said "Sanchez was drafted to high to sit, he must start immediately"  The result was a QB who never properly developed and who the fans in the main other than SARS turned on.  Indeed IMO Sanchez looked worse after his time with the Jets then the guy they drafted as a rookie!

Then Geno Smith was immature --- he was immature--- and was said to need to learn how to be a pro; folks said "no either you have it or you don't, start him" a Broken Jaw later Smith couldn't contain his immaturity, and any potential he had was not developed.

Now Darnold, he was drafted and he was that year's Lawrence, he couldn't fail. Right?

I said then that based on how we treated Sanchez and Smith, we shouldn't draft him.  Well we did draft him and start him -- despite the fact of only one year of quality play in college, the Jets having the worst OL in the NFL, no skill position players and an OC in Jeremy Bates who had been climbing mountains for the last years prior to his hire - oh and with all that Darnold was the youngest starting QB in NFL history! And then we wonder why he looks today worst then when he was drafted. 

Indeed Darnold like Sanchez looks worse today than he did when the Jets first drafted him and I cite the Green Bay game Darnold's first year as my proof where he played equal to Rogers!  Where is that guy? Lost in never never land I think.

So finally, I say keep Darnold, he's cheap and draft Lance because no one would be willing to rush him like they might with Fields or Wilson and it buys the Jets a year to get the team's OL and DL up to speed so that unrealistic expectations that are thrown on the shoulders of an unready rookie are not done yet once again ...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Thank God!!

Someone had to say it!! :)  

• Upvote 3
23 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Thats actually a good thing. 

I haven't seen enough of him play to make a determination, my friend is all in on him. 

Says the NY Jets will be sorry like they are with Mahomes and Watson if they don't select him in the draft. 

Hes going to be hurt by missing this season but his physical tools are there

• Upvote 2

If the Watson situation isn't resolved by draft time.  I'm all for trading down with Carolina to knock them out.

I don't want Lance at 8 though.  Slater or Smith or Waddle assuming the usual 1-7 targets are gone.

Watson or bust.

Panthers receive: Second overall pick in 2021, select Ohio State QB Justin Fields

Jets receive: 2021 and 2022 first round picks, a 2021 second rounder and 2022 fourth rounder

Trading out of the #2 slot with another team gives you no guarantee you will get the player you want later in the draft. 

A team trading up to #2 may very well want Trey Lance. 

I have never seen an NFL trade where a team says ok we will trade you the pick before yours so you can take player A because we want player B. 

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Trading out of the #2 slot with another team gives you no guarantee you will get the player you want later in the draft. 

A team trading up to #2 may very well want Trey Lance. 

I have never seen an NFL trade where a team says ok we will trade you the pick before yours so you can take player A because we want player B. 

I think that if you take that risk you have to be Ok with Lance, Fields or Wilson.  In my scenario I'm OK with this.  I want Lance but I am not bashing Wilson!

What I don't want to do is start anyone Wilson, Fields or Lance in year one. 

• Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I think that if you take that risk you have to be Ok with Lance, Fields or Wilson.  In my scenario I'm OK with this.  I want Lance but I am not bashing Wilson!

What I don't want to do is start anyone Wilson, Fields or Lance in year one. 

I was saying this to @Mogglez earlier today.  if we were to trade down to lets say 8th and Lance is taken after Wilson, I'm fine as can be with doing the same with Fields at the 8th pick.  Or Wilson 8th.  Let either sit behind Darnold and roll the dice.

• Post of the Week 2
20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I was saying this to @Mogglez earlier today.  if we were to trade down to lets say 8th and Lance is taken after Wilson, I'm fine as can be with doing the same with Fields at the 8th pick.  Or Wilson 8th.  Let either sit behind Darnold and roll the dice.

So then we waste another draft pick on a QB as of late Hackenberg-Morgan- __________ who might not ever be the QB here. 

I think JD needs to make a decision either stick with Darnold,sign his replacement in free agency or draft his replacement. 

Sitting behind Darnold at this point serves no purpose especially if year 4 is another disastrous one, what could any QB sitting behind him learn from this. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
12 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

So then we waste another draft pick on a QB as of late Hackenberg-Morgan- __________ who might not ever be the QB here. 

I think JD needs to make a decision either stick with Darnold,sign his replacement in free agency or draft his replacement. 

Sitting behind Darnold at this point serves no purpose especially if year 4 is another disastrous one, what could any QB sitting behind him learn from this. 

That’s not true at all.  If JD drafts say for example Trey Lance who hasn’t even played football for a year you would want him to sit first rather than throw him into the fire immediately against NFL defenses

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Forcing a QB who isnt ready to play, who missed a year of college football due to a global pandemic because youre pissed at Hackenberg makes perfect sense.  

Because of Hackenberg and that we havent won a SB and youre pissed

Makes football sense 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

It wouldn't shock me if we traded down to get Lance and he's gone before we pick.  He could easily be the 2nd QB taken in this draft.  If they love him we have to take him at 2.   If we take him we have to trade Darnold before the draft and simply sign a vet or start Morgan for awhile.  

I'm not opposed to this option but the idea we can trade down and still get him is extremely risky.   You love him you take him at 2 and never second guess it. 

• Upvote 4
3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Forcing a QB who isnt ready to play, who missed a year of college football due to a global pandemic because youre pissed at Hackenberg makes perfect sense.  

Because of Hackenberg and that havent won a SB and youre pissed

Makes football sense 

How come many other rookie first year QB's do quite well but never any for the NY Jets. 

Most recently Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert. 

Immediately if you become a NY Jet the excuses start. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

How come many other rookie first year QB's do quite well but never any for the NY Jets. 

Most recently Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert. 

Immediately if you become a NY Jet the excuses start. 

COACHING

Thats not an excuse.  

Its not just the Jets, thats not true.  Cincy has had plenty of failures, the Dolphins with the same Gase, the entire league has had failures.  Its easier today.  Darnold unfortunately wasnt given a fair chance.  Not an excuse.  

We'll see if they keep Sam what the right system and coaching can do compared to what Gase or Rex offered the last 3 QBs we drafted to start.

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Or just drafting the wrong QB. 

I dont believe it.  Sam was head and shoulders the highest rated QB of that class.  He was called the best QB since Luck.  

Something went wrong.  Could it have been Sam?  Sure but do you honestly believe he had the same chances as Baker, LJ or Allen?  Really?  He had the WRs, yes WR is important, a OL that was even mediocre, the same competent coaching, game planning and in game adjustment to play winning QB?  I dont 

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I dont believe it.  Sam was head and shoulders the highest rated QB of that class.  He was called the best QB since Luck.  

Something went wrong.  Could it have been Sam?  Sure but do you honestly believe he had the same chances as Baker, LJ or Allen?  Really?  He had the WRs, yes WR is important, a OL that was even mediocre, the same competent coaching, game planning and in game adjustment to play winning QB?  I dont 

Agree he was put in a bad place has been his entire NFL career. 

Adam Gase was the worst HC in the NFL coached him for 2 years. 

Im judging him by what he can control dumb decisions and INT's. 

Understand me I hope he turns it all around here. 

We should be building a winning team at this point and not still searching for a QB. 

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Luck actually went No. 1.  Two teams ahead of us who both needed a QB passed on Sam Darnold.  

The same GM, Dorsey, who moved up to take Mahomes took a midget with a tude over Darnold. 

USC hype doesn't make it true.  

On 2/20/2021 at 1:52 PM, Charlie Brown said:

Bumping Up!!!!

Trey Lance all day!

Listen...

Trade Sam and bring in a vet to start. I’m fine drafting this kid and letting him sit, don’t know enough about him not to be and honestly don’t think either of Fields or Wilson is a slam dunk. I just don’t want to see Darnold take another snap for the Jets. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Trade Sam and bring in a vet to start. I’m fine drafting this kid and letting him start, don’t know enough about him not to be and honestly don’t think either of Fields or Wilson is a slam dunk. I just don’t want to see Darnold take another snap for the Jets. 

image.png.8f5e20c35f46bc48e6cab1eb038545d2.png