LAD Free Agency Watch: WR, Corey Davis

6'3, 205 lbs

14 games, 65 receptions, 984 yards, 5 TDs

86.9 PFF grade

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.overtimeheroics.net/2021/01/25/2021-nfl-free-agency-coreydavis/amp/

4 Teams That Can Sign Corey Davis

The New York Jets are in a rebuild. They do, however, have the second pick in the draft and are lined up to take a franchise quarterback. Among teams that could sign Corey Davis in 2021 free agency, the Jets are an interesting one. They have the money and have a need at wide receiver.

Denzel Mims is still growing into the player he could be, and Jamison Crowder is a serviceable slot. But in terms of an outside threat, the Jets could use help, especially if Mims can’t develop quickly. With their money, the Jets could go after a player like Allen Robinson, who has more production and is probably the better player.But the market for him might get to be too much.

The Jets might have to be the team that overpays to get a guy like Corey Davis because they are desperate to help their young QB and need to get a receiver. Davis’s market will depend on what the other more talented receivers get but he could get a larger contract from a team that is desperate to sign him. The Jets will have their pick of players in the 2021 NFL free agency period, due to their abundance of cap space, and roster flexibility. A wide receiver could be a top priority and Corey Davis could bring big things to New York

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thejetpress.com/2021/01/25/ny-jets-5-wide-receivers-2021-free-agent/amp/3/

NY Jets: 5 wide receivers to target in 2021 free agency

A former fifth overall pick, Corey Davis hasn’t lived up to his high draft slot as of yet.

That being said, this last season saw Davis seemingly reach some of that potential in a shortened season. In just 12 games, Davis neared his first 1,000-yard season and scored on five occasions.

There’s a chance that Davis will not hit free agency this offseason, despite the Titans not picking up Davis’s fifth-year option.

However, with A.J. Brown recording back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons and being selected to the Pro Bowl this year, Tennessee might opt to select a new receiver in the upcoming draft or sign one in free agency themselves.

Davis isn’t a surefire pickup for the team, as he has had some issues with drops and was virtually non-existent in their playoff loss against the Baltimore Ravens. However, paired with Crowder and Mims, Davis could end up being the missing piece of the puzzle the Jets needs to find.

By no means would adding Davis be a bad move, so long as Douglas does not overpay for him. Considering his contracts are normally cap friendly, Davis might be added to the team for a bargain.

This is, of course, assuming that the Jets don’t end up in a bidding war with his current team in the Titans. Tennessee is more of a complete team, having made the playoffs two years in a row. The Jets are a few missing pieces away from making a run themselves.

The decision may ultimately rest on which team Corey Davis would rather call home

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

6'3, 205 lbs

14 games, 65 receptions, 984 yards, 5 TDs

86.9 PFF grade

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.overtimeheroics.net/2021/01/25/2021-nfl-free-agency-coreydavis/amp/

4 Teams That Can Sign Corey Davis

The New York Jets are in a rebuild. They do, however, have the second pick in the draft and are lined up to take a franchise quarterback. Among teams that could sign Corey Davis in 2021 free agency, the Jets are an interesting one. They have the money and have a need at wide receiver.

Denzel Mims is still growing into the player he could be, and Jamison Crowder is a serviceable slot. But in terms of an outside threat, the Jets could use help, especially if Mims can’t develop quickly. With their money, the Jets could go after a player like Allen Robinson, who has more production and is probably the better player.But the market for him might get to be too much.

The Jets might have to be the team that overpays to get a guy like Corey Davis because they are desperate to help their young QB and need to get a receiver. Davis’s market will depend on what the other more talented receivers get but he could get a larger contract from a team that is desperate to sign him. The Jets will have their pick of players in the 2021 NFL free agency period, due to their abundance of cap space, and roster flexibility. A wide receiver could be a top priority and Corey Davis could bring big things to New York

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thejetpress.com/2021/01/25/ny-jets-5-wide-receivers-2021-free-agent/amp/3/

NY Jets: 5 wide receivers to target in 2021 free agency

Nice post. I have Davis as my #1 Free Agent WR target - all things considered (age, price, etc)

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

He is like a devante Parker.... not really a number 1. 

Like fantasy number 1? ...cause I think he could start opposite to Mims and be a solution. 

• Upvote 2

After trading darnold we will have 6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds.  Take a reciever then.  Hey, take 2 of them.  

But in no way, shape or form should we give big money to Corey Davis.  This guy is average at best and will command more money then he is worth becasue of his draft position.

Build through the draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

After trading darnold we will have 6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds.  Take a reciever then.  Hey, take 2 of them.  

But in no way, shape or form should we give big money to Corey Davis.  This guy is average at best and will command more money then he is worth becasue of his draft position.

Build through the draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darnold for a 1st? Pipe Dream or at least definitely not straight up. 

Nothing wrong with spending on Davis, especially if he's priced at his tier. He's pretty much proven to be a 900 yard receiver twice. I do favor going young at the WR spot, however if we can solve a hole pre-draft that can give us more flexibility.

Completely against this.

I live in Nashville, and follow the Titans. That whole team centers around Henry and AJ Brown. When Brown is out, he's about as mediocre as it gets.

Forget No. 1, I don't even want him as a No. 2! The whole point of getting a No.1 is to take pressure off Mims/Crowder/Draft pick, not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, win4ever said:

Completely against this.

I live in Nashville, and follow the Titans. That whole team centers around Henry and AJ Brown. When Brown is out, he's about as mediocre as it gets.

Forget No. 1, I don't even want him as a No. 2! The whole point of getting a No.1 is to take pressure off Mims/Crowder/Draft pick, not the other way around.

He’d be ok. Not as a #1 or #2. More like a #11.

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

Nice post. I have Davis as my #1 Free Agent WR target - all things considered (age, price, etc)

Like fantasy number 1? ...cause I think he could start opposite to Mims and be a solution. 

He is not someone who can impose his will on a defense like say Alan Robinson can. He is a guy who is a product of the other guys on the team... without that running game and AJ Brown he will be even more average

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, win4ever said:

Completely against this.

Teams don't let many number ones go without being compensated. If that's the case when's the last time we've sign one? People were ecstatic signing Perriman coming off a career high 650 yards. Not sure what's the problem signing a more reliable WR that has recorded 900 yard twice. Would have reached 1,000 had he not missed two games. But adding Davis would be great and he's no scrub. He's similar to Crowder in being reliable and he's also young as he just turn 26 last week.

If we can sign a number one without brutally overpaying then I'm all for it. Like who doesn't want the best things in life? Allen Robinson,
Chris Goodwin and Kenny Golladay.

But taming our expectations these WR may be more so realistic/available; Juju Smith-Schuster, Corey Davis, Will Fuller and Marvin Jones Jr.

9 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Teams don't let many number ones go without being compensated. If that's the case when's the last time we've sign one? People were ecstatic signing Perriman coming off a career high 650 yards. Not sure what's the problem signing a more reliable WR that has recorded 900 yard twice. Would have reached 1,000 had he not missed two games. But adding Davis would be great and he's no scrub. He's similar to Crowder in being reliable and he's also young as he just turn 26 last week.

If we can sign a number one without brutally overpaying then I'm all for it. Like who doesn't want the best things in life? Allen Robinson,

But taming our expectations these WR may be more so realistic/available; Juju Smith-Schuster, Corey Davis, Will Fuller and Marvin Jones Jr.

there is a cap squeeze coming, this is the year where players are going to hit FA and not get franchised. Robinson and JuJu are good as gone, KG i think is also out if the Lions reset without stafford....i think there are big names receivers to have this year.

You are right, teams won't let true No. 1s go. Corey Davis will hit the market for sure because he's not in the long term plans for the Titans. Their No. 1 is Brown.

We added Crowder to our team and where has it gotten us?

The issue with someone like Davis is that he does much better if the defense focuses away from him. A guy like Brown takes the safety, Henry takes the LBs. We have neither of us, and our goal is to take focus away from Mims.

There's cap issues abound this year, so more receivers will pop on the market.

However, if they don't, I'd rather go get guys that fit the system better. Someone like Curtis Samuel fits better because YAC is a major factor in the Shanahan offense (assuming we're sticking to a similar style). I will take Fuller or Samuels, if we can't get Robinson/Godwin. I'm not as sold on JuJu either.