Texans hire David Culley for head coach.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He’s definitely staying, unless he leaves

I dont know whats better, being so wrong or being so wrong with CAPS

Joe Douglas needs to play hardball. The Texans will desperately want to trade with the Jets. The value of the #2 pick is 10 times better than any other pick. Jets shouldn't even call. They should just

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

But Deshaun had a cup of coffee with him at the pro-bowl...

We need to ask Puxatawny Phil about this.

• Like 1

My...God. 😆 

zvg0dtvxaieqrevwop5o.thumb.jpg.b0dd96dd078563d543570d3f0364a85d.jpg

65 years old, been on NFL staffs since 1994, and I have never heard his name...ever.

Wow. Talk about dumpster diving. Caldwell or Lewis would have been more rational choices. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

So if Deshaun wants out now, does that mean the price goes down?

Theoretically, this whole time, we've been waiting for the coach hire to be the possible rapprochement moment. If Watson says this doesn't change his stance, the Texans have to lose leverage, no?

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Drums said:

Finally. Now (hopefully) something will happen with Deshaun and we can either celebrate or move on. 

^^This.

It's exhausting. At this rate, it's going to take months for me just to adjust back to the prospect of Fields or Wilson as the Jets QB after all this flirting with Watson.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

My understanding is that David Cully is looking to retire after this season.

All kidding aside, way to stick with it. Cool to see a 65 year old achieve a lifelong goal. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

So if Deshaun wants out now, does that mean the price goes down?

Theoretically, this whole time, we've been waiting for the coach hire to be the possible rapprochement moment. If Watson says this doesn't change his stance, the Texans have to lose leverage, no?

Why does the price have to be high? If Watson holds the cards in where he goes.. a strong offer is all it takes. 

7 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

^^This.

It's exhausting. At this rate, it's going to take months for me just to adjust back to the prospect of Fields or Wilson as the Jets QB after all this flirting with Watson.

I just wanna know which way to spin my takes! 

Sweating Heat Wave GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
13 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

How does this fit DW narrative on minority hire?

My...God. 😆 

zvg0dtvxaieqrevwop5o.thumb.jpg.b0dd96dd078563d543570d3f0364a85d.jpg

65 years old, been on NFL staffs since 1994, and I have never heard his name...ever.

• Confused 1
20 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

But Deshaun had a cup of coffee with him at the pro-bowl...

lol.. i really don't get this narrative at all. Hope we're right!

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Joe Douglas needs to play hardball. The Texans will desperately want to trade with the Jets. The value of the #2 pick is 10 times better than any other pick. Jets shouldn't even call. They should just wait for Houston to call them. Three first round picks is out of the question. The #2 pick could easily be converted to a top 10 pick plus future first round pick anyways. Its #2 pick, next years first and then a third round pick. That is the offer. If they refuse you say okay come back to me if you get a better offer. Jets don't have to worry the Texans wont come back to them because of how much they know Texans will want that #2 pick. This is in the bag if Douglas doesn't screw it up.

They might take it because they are that stupid.  This is mind boggling.  They were the first team with a Head coach opening and the last team to fill it and they choose this guy?  Seems Houston is doing everything in its power to screw things up....maybe it wasn't just O'Brien who was dumb.

6 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Joe Douglas needs to play hardball. The Texans will desperately want to trade with the Jets. The value of the #2 pick is 10 times better than any other pick. Jets shouldn't even call. They should just wait for Houston to call them. Three first round picks is out of the question. The #2 pick could easily be converted to a top 10 pick plus future first round pick anyways. Its #2 pick, next years first and then a third round pick. That is the offer. If they refuse you say okay come back to me if you get a better offer. Jets don't have to worry the Texans wont come back to them because of how much they know Texans will want that #2 pick. This is in the bag if Douglas doesn't screw it up.

I think making this trade happen would be the best thing to happen to the Jets in a very long time.

To pay much more than that is both unnecessary and potentially damaging.  Its the right balance.  

Houston wins too by getting Justin Fields who will fit in with their offense.  Maybe we throw in Darnold and take his salary if the Texans can't afford it. 

11 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

How you figure?

I know people are pointing to them spending time at the Pro Bowl for a week being overplayed, but Deshaun became very fond of Culley and he's been a mentor ever since. So their relationship isn't isolated from that one week. They're also making this hire with hope that Culley, who is a player's coach, can heal the organization and serve as a bridge to a future HC, whether that be someone on his staff (Kelly, McCown) or a top candidate on the open market. At 65, Culley won't be around for long, and once they get past this rough patch the Texans will be an attractive job once again. 

Deshaun found himself wanting out in the first place because his agents reached out to the agents of top coaching candidates and all they heard back was negative sentiment; when they ask around about Culley, not a single person will say a bad thing about him... he's an institutionalist coach who everyone universally admires and respects, and the feedback they'll get is "the Texans got lucky." Lamar Jackson is going to speak glowingly of him. Andy Reid will refuse to say anything negative about it, so it's not like he'll use it as an opportunity to say "they should've hired Bieniemy"... he'll only say positive things if/when asked.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 2

The 2nd pick in the draft is going to be a hot commodity come draft day. Detroit, Carolina and Denver will be looking for a QB. Carolina and Detroit might get aggressive about it. If we don’t land Watson, I’d settle for a haul. It’s going to be epic.

• Upvote 2
25 minutes ago, CTM said:

lol.. i really don't get this narrative at all. Hope we're right!

A franchise that has a top 5 QB that’s 25 years old. Normally coaches would fight for this job. They couldn’t get anyone. 

Deshaun gets traded before the the start of FA. 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So Watson good with a bridge coach, another 4-12 season with no cap space and no 1st or 2nd rd. pick? All in the hopes of the née coach taking over and starting afresh? That’s a lot of speculation. Watson sees LJ, Mahomes, Allen his contemporaries in the PO. He’s going to be happy approaching 30 when the team may start winning? I guess we’ll see. 

No he won't be OK with that but they won't frame it that way and neither will the coach. They'll point to Bruce Arians and say look he did it, all while knowing that the true purpose of hiring Culley is to unite the locker room and rebuild the culture. Culley will use coach speak to rally Deshaun and convince him "it's us against the world" and get him to embrace being the underdog. Meanwhile, he'll  keep Kelly on the staff, possibly hire Josh McCown, and in 2 years the Texans will either promote them or hire a top candidate on the outside. 

• Maxman locked this topic