NY Post writes article on Joe Douglas

Rhg1084

7 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

This article was way out of line to even question Douglas. The guy was given the worst situation in the league and has done a great job 

I would argue that the best thing you can say about Douglas is that we don’t yet know how good a job he’s done, but YMMV I guess

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

No JD felt that there was nothing wrong with the scouts but he did totally revamp what scouts were looking at and how prospects were graded.... nothing scary about it..

Here is the article:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-joe-douglas-draft-scouts-evaluating-roster-grading-20200407-lo6l56dqjnesndljbhvs6wlani-story.html

From the time Gase and Douglas got here they've completely flipped everything in the front office. So much turnover it's ridiculous and it's definitely going to take time to come to fruition.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

No JD felt that there was nothing wrong with the scouts but he did totally revamp what scouts were looking at and how prospects were graded.... nothing scary about it..

Here is the article:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-joe-douglas-draft-scouts-evaluating-roster-grading-20200407-lo6l56dqjnesndljbhvs6wlani-story.html

Yeah and he also knows how to translate what they report into who he should draft, nothing wrong with reports before, scouts gave what they were asked for. Our previous gms picked the wrong players but I imagine the reports were exactly what they asked for.

As stated the reports changed tongive actual relevant data and the GM now knows what to pick. 

• Post of the Week 1

Douglas has largely been terrible. He’s made a few good moves but it’s been mostly a disaster. He overseen the worst Jets team I have ever seen. The idea that we should have blind faith in him because he worked for Baltimore is f*cking asinine.

This off-season will make or break him. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 5

14 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Douglas has largely been terrible. He’s made a few good moves but it’s been mostly a disaster. He overseen the worst Jets team I have ever seen. The idea that we should have blind faith in him because he worked for Baltimore is f*cking asinine.

This off-season will make or break him. 

that what i said about Watson coming here. 

oh we have all that FA money......yeah well JD has to hit on some, and his track record isnt so good so far

but what about all those picks we have.....70% of draft picks are Busts. JD has to hit on them too. no guarantee he will.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Nothing wrong with the piece.  Douglas had a very solid draft.  I’d estimate that at  a minimum, 6 of the players he drafted will make the roster next season. That’s how we will build a team.  Everyone has misses, but he certainly has a clue.  And I applaud that he was calculated in FA last offseason 

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

This article was way out of line to even question Douglas. The guy was given the worst situation in the league and has done a great job 

LOL....not sure if this is sarcasm, he took a 7-9 team and DECIMATED it!!......turning it INTO the worst in the league....Adam Gase, as crap as he was, has a legit reason to feel aggrieved that the rug was pulled from under him....Douglas has serious questions to answer and major blemishes on the report card already. 

all that said he’s a young first time GM, he tried something and it spectacularly failed, but give him time, let him learn from the early disasters and hope....hope....he has what it takes to be better. 

He’s shown he can manoeuvre the draft and maximise draft capital, he’s shown that he can get back a fair return on a player(Adams) which should be the springboard to adding talent, he didn’t allow himself to be fleeced and made the best of a poor situation(a situation he was at least 50% responsible for but at least he came out of it with future resources). Those draft picks are only any good though, if we hit on them.

There have been a couple of successes for sure but the wider body of work is currently a massive question mark, his first draft remains sketchy but there’s promise there and no draft should be dismissed or hailed based off year 1(a very difficult and unusual year 1 at that). More significantly, while we have no idea if Robert Saleh is the guy to lead us back to the playoffs, I think almost the entire fanbase is united behind the hire and energised by our new coach and staff(not hard mind you, after what we endured under the last two coaches)....the entire Jets fanbase united behind something, however fleetingly that lasts for, is pretty unusual and worthy of credit!!....we got the guy that it’s not stretching it to say, was considered the No 1 coaching prospect across the board and the most ready to be a HC.

It’s accepted that Joe Douglas was leading that search, and while Chris Johnson deserves credit too, not least for stepping back and letting Douglas take the process on and bask in the immediate glow, there’s no question that Douglas is tied to Saleh, for good or bad(at the moment it’s all good, I’m sure it will change about 30 seconds into our first pre-season game).

Anyway, that’s the good, but that’s it....none of that is a guarantee, it’s all potential right now. the idea he’s doing a great job and is beyond  criticism has to be a massive joke that has gone completely over my head, so I’ll assume that post was not serious in any way. He’s by no means a catastrophe....yet.....but there’s plenty of reason to be critical, and to doubt, at this point.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

So because Costello didn’t say that JD can walk on water and is the savior that all Jet fans have been praying for, it’s a hit piece?   Costello is right, the honeymoon is over, JD stripped down the team, now it’s time to make it better, a lot better.  This is the pivotal year, tons of cap, tons of draft capital, now do something worthwhile with it.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

LOL....not sure if this is sarcasm, he took a 7-9 team and DECIMATED it!!......turning it INTO the worst in the league....Adam Gase, as crap as he was, has a legit reason to feel aggrieved that the rug was pulled from under him....Douglas has serious questions to answer and major blemishes on the report card already. 

How do you know that GASE didn't approve of what he was doing ?  My bet is that JD knew that AG had Chris's ear and probably went along with some of the things they discussed, and maybe some they didn't agree on, but who knows really...

As far as Becton goes, it looks like he should be a good player. But if he's missing games and taking himself out again next year, it's going to be a problem.

Mims is an unknown coming off a disappointing rookie year.

Davis struggled. 

Zuniga will probably be on the roster bubble.

Perine looked sluggish. Powell stunk as a rookie so you hope it was just acclimation, but a 4.6+ 40 is what it is.

Davis- wasted pick most likely

Clarke- Roster bubble most likely

Punter- great

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

From the time Gase and Douglas got here they've completely flipped everything in the front office. So much turnover it's ridiculous and it's definitely going to take time to come to fruition.

I flip tables over this team, does that count? 'So much turnover', I'll give them turnover. They should see what happens when I walk into my livingroom after HT most Sundays.