NY Post writes article on Joe Douglas

Rhg1084

Let's look at the positives:

1- He found a LT

2- He fired Gase (yea, Chris actually fired him but come on?)

3- He hired Saleh

4- The Media LOVED THE SALEH HIRE

5- Respected players TWEETED about how great the Saleh hire was.

6- Retired players & present day players are TWEETING that players should go play for Saleh. 

7- We have a sh*t ton of cap dollars.

8- We have 9 draft picks including 3 in the top 34. 

9. During the season, everyone hated us & were making fun of the Jets, we were a laughing stock clown show. Now? Media darlings again.

10- Somehow with Joe Douglas in charge & finishing with 2 wins, our GM & new coach have garnered respect without accomplishing anything here yet. That's damn impressive & will certainly serve us well when free agency starts. To give the appearance that the Jets are on the upswing is incredibly important to recruit the players you need to make that happen is in itself a job well done already. 

I'm still honeymooning, but I thought the article was completely fair. He's mostly been busy cleaning up the last guy's mess, but we've seen that before. That's the easy part of the job; removing bad players with big contracts and clearing cap space. That's Idzik level bull****. The hard part is putting together a winning team. There's pressure this year, but I suspect most fans (and the NY sports media) will be pretty content with a near .500 record, and a team that isn't regularly getting blown out in their losses. But they need to get at least there. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

In addition to the quarterback decision, the pressure is on for him to really improve this roster and show whether Johnson’s faith in him was warranted. The focus is now on Douglas. Gase took all the bullets for 2-14 last year. But that shield is now gone. It is time for Douglas to live up to his reputation as a super scout and make the Jets much better in 2021.

jack off please GIF

Typically mealy-mouthed equivocation in an article written with no balls. “He traded away talent (Jamal Adams and Leonard Williams) but we won’t know if those are good trades until we see how those picks work out!” Wow bro, sizzling analysis. Where can I subscribe to your substack? Grow a dick. 

• Haha 2

nature abhors a vacuum.  someone had to take over after maneesh went away.  i read this article.  nothing in it that was outlandish but at the same time it seemed like costello was setting them (douglas et al) up so he would be able to knock them down if they start off poorly this season.  i can imagine we will be subject to a whole lot of qb second guessing depending on which way the jets go in the draft or with darnold or some vet.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I can’t get over how bad this article is. It basically reads: “Now that Adam Gase is gone, the only thing we can do with our limited imaginations and middling intellect is blame the next guy up if the team isn’t great right away. You best watch out, Joe Douglas!” Like, go hire better writers. Get new perspectives. Find talented journalists. You’re the biggest media market in the world and you have professional beat reporters already conceding, in January, that they can’t conceive of any angle to play other than, “well who can we instantly and vacuously blame?” Lame. Weak. Embarrassing.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

No JD felt that there was nothing wrong with the scouts but he did totally revamp what scouts were looking at and how prospects were graded.... nothing scary about it..

Here is the article:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-joe-douglas-draft-scouts-evaluating-roster-grading-20200407-lo6l56dqjnesndljbhvs6wlani-story.html

Thank you CB.  

Having been given the right to revamp the scouting staff and ultimately keeping 16 of the 20 scouts as the NYDN says should be viewed as a positive.  Also the big change was the way they were tasked to work

Macc may have been a terrible GM, made terrible player choice but that doest mean he didnt hire capable scouts that he should have listened too.  

Just now, T0mShane said:

I can’t get over how bad this article is. It basically reads: “Now that Adam Gase is gone, the only thing we can do with our limited imaginations and middling intellect is blame the next guy up if the team isn’t great right away. You best watch out, Joe Douglas!” Like, go hire better writers. Get new perspectives. Find talented journalists. You’re the biggest media market in the world and you have professional best reporters already conceding, in January, that they can’t conceive of any angle to play other than, “well who can we instantly and vacuously blame?” Lame. Weak. Embarrassing.

Costello was honestly too kind on his first draft class. Regardless if the writing isnt up to your standards, at least he's trying to hold someone in this organization accountable. Douglas is a big boy, he needs to draft better. The Becton stuff is spot on. Dude needs to toughen up and get on the field.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I can’t get over how bad this article is. It basically reads: “Now that Adam Gase is gone, the only thing we can do with our limited imaginations and middling intellect is blame the next guy up if the team isn’t great right away. You best watch out, Joe Douglas!” Like, go hire better writers. Get new perspectives. Find talented journalists. You’re the biggest media market in the world and you have professional beat reporters already conceding, in January, that they can’t conceive of any angle to play other than, “well who can we instantly and vacuously blame?” Lame. Weak. Embarrassing.

The old, tried and true its so much easier to blame one central character than to look at the many different ways a team fails.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Costello was honestly too kind on his first draft class. Regardless if the writing isnt up to your standards, at least he's trying to hold someone in this organization accountable. Douglas is a big boy, he needs to draft better. The Becton stuff is spot on. Dude needs to toughen up and get on the field.

Grading any draft after one year is patchwork guessing at best. Grading a draft that did not have benefit of a full year of training camp, pre-season games, etc is just unfair. Particularly with a team that had as many new part as the Jets.

That does not mean the draft was great, or even good. Sometimes the smartest thing to do is grade it as incomplete, rather than knee jerking in any direction.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Grading any draft after one year is patchwork guessing at best. Grading a draft that did not have benefit of a full year of training camp, pre-season games, etc is just unfair. Particularly with a team that had as many new part as the Jets.

That does not mean the draft was great, or even good. Sometimes the smartest thing to do is grade it as incomplete, rather than knee jerking in any direction.

How long you want to give these guys? The failures of the Jets are mostly related to their inability to spot failure quickly. Most notably the QB position. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Which team had a better 2020 draft than the Jets? The Bucs, maybe? 

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Typically mealy-mouthed equivocation in an article written with no balls. “He traded away talent (Jamal Adams and Leonard Williams) but we won’t know if those are good trades until we see how those picks work out!” Wow bro, sizzling analysis. Where can I subscribe to your substack? Grow a dick. 

I completely agree with this analysis.  What a lazy article, none of the information costello used is news to anyone on this board.

Is JD going to the Hall of Fame. no.  Did every free agent he signed pan out, no.  But if costello cared about anything but clicks and getting the back page, he would focus on the fact that every single FA that "wasnt great" cant be let go with virtually no impact to the team, thats flexibility, not errors.  Paying Leveon Bell and Trumaine Johnson are mistakes, signing Fant to essentially a 1 year deal is not a mistake.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Which team had a better 2020 draft than the Jets? The Bucs, maybe? 

Plus another 25 teams or so. The Jets got basically nothing besides a tackle who takes himself out of games and a punter. Counting on Mims to do anything or be a starter next season is silly, especially seeing how profile to be the other rookie receivers were. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

How long you want to give these guys? The failures of the Jets are mostly related to their inability to spot failure quickly. Most notably the QB position. 

Having a full training camp with all the bells and whistles would be a nice start.

Personally, I feel cutting any of these players right now would be a little harsh.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm still honeymooning, but I thought the article was completely fair. He's mostly been busy cleaning up the last guy's mess, but we've seen that before. That's the easy part of the job; removing bad players with big contracts and clearing cap space. That's Idzik level bull****. The hard part is putting together a winning team. There's pressure this year, but I suspect most fans (and the NY sports media) will be pretty content with a near .500 record, and a team that isn't regularly getting blown out in their losses. But they need to get at least there. 

Nothing like honeymooning.   Lenny Cantrow( The original played by Charles Grodin)can relate to that. 

51 minutes ago, Jetster said:

3- He hired Saleh

4- The Media LOVED THE SALEH HIRE

5- Respected players TWEETED about how great the Saleh hire was.

6- Retired players & present day players are TWEETING that players should go play for Saleh

Shouldn't these 4 be grouped together in 1 "He made a Great Hire with Saleh on many levels"

24 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He never even was critical of JDs 1st draft.  He said it cant be judged off of one season,.  

You know what would be dumb?  Criticiazing draft picks for missing time in the COVID season that was played minus all the camps, preseason games, etc.  Especially player who didnt have injury plagued college career.  Every team in the league had injuries, at a higher rate than ever before.  

It is unfair to judge Douglas’ first draft class after one season. Time will tell. First-round pick Mekhi Becton looks like a potential Pro Bowl player at left tackle, but he had trouble staying on the field as a rookie. Second-round pick Denzel Mims showed flashes but also had injury problems. Only punter Braden Mann, a sixth-round pick, played in all 16 games.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Plus another 25 teams or so. The Jets got basically nothing besides a tackle who takes himself out of games and a punter. Counting on Mims to do anything or be a starter next season is silly, especially seeing how profile to be the other rookie receivers were. 

Someone may ask you to show your work on this.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The failure of the team has been that under Macc and Idzik not enough talent was brought in.  Most notably with their draft picks.  

Hard to properly evaluate the QB when he doesnt have talent around him that allows him to succeed.  

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Counting on Mims to do anything or be a starter next season is silly, especially seeing how profile to be the other rookie receivers were. 

I guess if you think Denzel Mims’ career is already over(?), I can see how you would think this draft class is bad. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I guess if you think Denzel Mims’ career is already over(?), I can see how you would think this draft class is bad. 

I do t think it’s over, I wouldn’t be relying on him to start year 2 though. He couldn’t get on the field and when he did, he struggled to get open.  The Jets need to take at least 2 receivers or sign someone other than a Periman level player. Douglas talked about building the best culture in football, signing guys who have milked injuries throughout their career like Permian doesn’t really align.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Someone may ask you to show your work on this.

Cincinnati

Washington

San Francisco

LA Chargers

Baltimore

Pittsburgh

Cleveland

Dallas

Indianapolis

Minneosta

Tampa

Off the top, but factor in how poor the Jets roster was going into the draft and how little playing time and production they got out of it. A 2 win team with basically zero production. Out of the class besides the 11th pick isn’t great

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The failure of the team has been that under Macc and Idzik not enough talent was brought in.  Most notably with their draft picks.  

Hard to properly evaluate the QB when he doesnt have talent around him that allows him to succeed.  

Ah, but it's okay to evaluate the HC under those circumstances and let the GM off the hook?

Interesting.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Man just win some games. Compete for the playoffs. Douglas is making a boatload of money, figure it out. The excuse making on this board is at a level it’s never been. The team was held more accountable when they were actually making the playoffs.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Cincinnati

Washington

San Francisco

LA Chargers

Baltimore

Pittsburgh

Cleveland

Dallas

Indianapolis

Minneosta

Tampa

Off the top, but factor in how poor the Jets roster was going into the draft and how little playing time and production they got out of it. A 2 win team with basically zero production. Out of the class besides the 11th pick isn’t great

You said "25 or so teams" had better drafts than the Jets. Continue.

3 hours ago, redlichtie said:

LOL....not sure if this is sarcasm, he took a 7-9 team and DECIMATED it!!......turning it INTO the worst in the league....Adam Gase, as crap as he was, has a legit reason to feel aggrieved that the rug was pulled from under him....Douglas has serious questions to answer and major blemishes on the report card already. 

all that said he’s a young first time GM, he tried something and it spectacularly failed, but give him time, let him learn from the early disasters and hope....hope....he has what it takes to be better. 

This is the appropriate take.  And the reason that the Post article is not a hit piece. 

We are taking one hell of a gamble on Joe Douglas, no different than we did on Idzik and Maccagnan, two guys who were thought not to be ready but had potential.  I'm all for it-  win big or go home, I get it.  But the days (years) of Teflon Joe Douglas are over.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

This is the appropriate take.  And the reason that the Post article is not a hit piece. 

We are taking one hell of a gamble on Joe Douglas, no different than we did on Idzik and Maccagnan, two guys who were thought not to be ready but had potential.  I'm all for it-  win big or go home, I get it.  But the days (years) of Teflon Joe Douglas are over.

SAR I

I do t disagree with that. But guy has only had a single draft so far, certainly mixed results at best. Letting Macc trash the draft right before Douglas started makes it feel, at least to me, he’s been hear little longer than he has. But I do agree, it’s put up or shut up time, 

• Upvote 2