NY Post writes article on Joe Douglas

Rhg1084

15 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

This article was way out of line to even question Douglas. The guy was given the worst situation in the league and has done a great job 

How is it out of line. Did you read it? He just states facts. You can’t argue JD has been a Home run gm....so far 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Hes had one real offseason to improve a roster devoid of talent

Thats not an excuse, its reality.  

There needs to be some patience with the picks made and the whine about the picks made 9 months ago is pointless

He is 2 seasons into a 6 season contract. Next year he’s half way though. 

Eventually he’s Gona have to produce some Ws or this is just the start of the truckle of crisicsm without Gase to blame everything on 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

1 draft. 1 free agency period. 

Grade: Incomplete.

Sure. But free agency you are dealing with proven players unlike the draft which is more of taking lottery tickets. I was really disappointed in his free agency moves. Hopefully he has learned some 

• Upvote 1

The purpose of news is to get eye balls to look at advertising.  Costello did that so he had a good day.

Article certainly has a negative tone but actual content was reasonable.  You could keep 90% of it, change a few sentences and end up with a pr piece telling us how great JD is.  Wouldn't get as many eye balls though.

JD, like all GMs, lives in a world of gray.  We saw some really good moments from Becton and Mims.  Lighten up the gray.  Both and other draft picks had injury issues cutting playing time.  Darken the gray.

He let Robbie go.  Bad mistake.  But in his own circuitous way he admits it.  Doesn't change anything but makes me feel better.  Fade to black.

None of his FAs really stood out and a few were outright losers.  Darken the gray.  He finished the year with a ton of cap space.  Lighten the gray.

We're just going to have to wait a couple years to get a real understanding of his performance.  Not what we want but the way it is.

I think JD is going to be very good.  His trades have been excellent.  His cap management has been excellent (although we took a step back overall this season with FAs).  He deep sixed Leveon Bell for which I am very grateful.

But it's going to come down to how well he drafts.  And on that, we just don't know yet.

It's articles like this that are real and about time.

He's been far from great - at best he's been "Patient"

He's done a nice job of tearing things down, but close to nothing to build them up yet.  We have no idea if he's capable of building.  

But this is precisely why he CAN'T Sitck with Sam.  He's either getting Watson or taking a QB at 2.

8 hours ago, Jetster said:

Let's look at the positives:

1- He found a LT

2- He fired Gase (yea, Chris actually fired him but come on?)

3- He hired Saleh

4- The Media LOVED THE SALEH HIRE

5- Respected players TWEETED about how great the Saleh hire was.

6- Retired players & present day players are TWEETING that players should go play for Saleh. 

7- We have a sh*t ton of cap dollars.

8- We have 9 draft picks including 3 in the top 34. 

9. During the season, everyone hated us & were making fun of the Jets, we were a laughing stock clown show. Now? Media darlings again.

10- Somehow with Joe Douglas in charge & finishing with 2 wins, our GM & new coach have garnered respect without accomplishing anything here yet. That's damn impressive & will certainly serve us well when free agency starts. To give the appearance that the Jets are on the upswing is incredibly important to recruit the players you need to make that happen is in itself a job well done already. 

So he's done virtually nothing to make this team better on the field.  Which I mostly agree with. 

I'm not sure Becton is an LT either, I think he's probably a RT.

6 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

This is a great example as to why NY sport teams, other than the Yankees, can have nice things.  It is ALWAYS about who can get the headline, who can stir the most S**t.  

This isn't stirring shi-t...it's just laying out the facts.  He hasn't been great but has certainly gotten the benefits of being great.  This article needed to be written.  It was just a matter of time.  

You can't take a very bad 7-9 team - make a lot of moves and then have that team become 2-14 and not expect to be questioned.

He didn't have a good draft, his FA's have been awful....

Realistically you have to believe he chose to simply clean house and wasn't really trying to build a quality roster, - if you don't think he's beens anything but bad. 

Now, I think that's exactly what he did do - so I have faith in him - but he's absolutely not above being questioned at this point.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

He is 2 seasons into a 6 season contract. Next year he’s half way though. 

Eventually he’s Gona have to produce some Ws or this is just the start of the truckle of crisicsm without Gase to blame everything on 

Hes had one draft no matter how you slice it.  Everything he has done was to position the team to get to this offseason and the draft.  Hes set us up perfectly with cap space and multiple 1st round picks.  

He didnt set things up to blame anyone.  

7 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Then lets make some basic agreements:

1) This was one of the worst coached teams in the NFL, and it actually does make a difference.

2) As of right now, this draft class, out of 9 picks, had 5 people starting either for all or part of the season.

3)  Early returns are out of the 9 picks, we had 7 players who played in games, and 6 who contributed.

4) Of those 6 contributors, 3 were full-time starters.  

How's that?

And objectively speaking, I think that's good return..

4 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

And objectively speaking, I think that's good return..

But that wasn’t the return. Objectively. Becton looked good when he played. Key word when. He wasn’t missing games with major injuries either. Minor nicks you expect a lineman to play through.

Mims didn’t play really and the other starter was a punter. 

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

But that wasn’t the return. Objectively. Becton looked good when he played. Key word when. He wasn’t missing games with major injuries either. Minor nicks you expect a lineman to play through.

I think it's silly to cast judgment so soon. Whether our draft picks are brittle or not remains to be seen. Many people claimed Marcus Maye was injury prone for a while. So I think you need to take a few steps back? Our last draft class is encouraging to say the least. In contrast, ANY of Mac's draft classes after one season you already knew we were doomed.

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Hope?  No, we're 80+ mil under the cap today and have lots of picks, 4 in the first over the next 2 drafts.

Thats not hope

He very well could just be bad at his job.

He could have thought he was signing quality free agents...

I agree, that he simply cleaning house - but hearing him speak he doesn't talk that way.  If you hear him talk he really believes he built a good team.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He very well could just be bad at his job.

He could have thought he was signing quality free agents...

I agree, that he simply cleaning house - but hearing him speak he doesn't talk that way.  If you hear him talk he really believes he built a good team.

He was cleaning house and signed a few hold the fort guys.  

He'll show his worth this off season.  

I hope, not using all these assets right would be horrific for this team

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This isn't stirring shi-t...it's just laying out the facts.  He hasn't been great but has certainly gotten the benefits of being great.  This article needed to be written.  It was just a matter of time.  

You can't take a very bad 7-9 team - make a lot of moves and then have that team become 2-14 and not expect to be questioned.

He didn't have a good draft, his FA's have been awful....

Realistically you have to believe he chose to simply clean house and wasn't really trying to build a quality roster, - if you don't think he's beens anything but bad. 

Now, I think that's exactly what he did do - so I have faith in him - but he's absolutely not above being questioned at this point.

Again, to save time and energy, I don't agree with the idea its on JD.  I think his draft was pretty good for year one in COVID.  But again, we don't see eye-to-eye

19 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Can we PLEASE stop with this agenda nonsense?

I'm sorry you don't like JD....The league seems to be fond of him.  Deal with it.

BTW...Becton started 14 games.