DESHAUN OFFICIALLY REQUESTS TRADE BABY

T0mShane

Just now, JetsRevival said:

Connections with the Texans FO?  I can't imagine any member of the Jets FO has any clue what the Texans plans are going forward besides the possibility that they could trade him or keep him.  The biggest indication that the Texans plan to trade him is the hire of Culley.  65 year old man that has never been on the radar for a HC job and he suddenly gets the job. To me the reason he got it is b/c they let the finalists know that they were more than likely moving on from Watson and nobody else would touch that job.  Culley will be fired in 2 years, he's set up to fail but he's waited his whole life for this opportunity and I wouldn't have expected him to turn it down.

I have no idea who his connections are.  But he certainly seems to favor the Houston FO over Watson's camp on this one.  And as @T0mShane pointed out, if he is indeed getting fed info from Houston FO people, of course they'd be feeding info suggesting that Watson will be the Texans' QB in 2021.  

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

OK, now i'm willing to concede this is a real thing. I had hoped for everyone's sanity that a coaching hire would help reset the drama... Texans went ahead and hired a "who?..." for a head coach though, and now it feels legit.

Still think HOU is more likely to pull a CIN (with Palmer) and just wait it out a year, unless some team offers a kingdom of picks.. which i don't think Joe will do. 

Gut feeling is this takes a long time to get figured out.  I also just dont think we'll make the move, I think other teams will offer more and to my knowledge any deal JD would attempt would most likely not include 2 overall.  Now so much can change, this is not a black or white situation, so anyone looking to poke holes through information its useless, there are just too many variables. 

In my opinion based off others very informed opinions, and what I have heard personally, it seems like this will take a while to get resolved and if it does I do not forsee us making the move for him unless its not a insanely high price.  If it was a combination of of picks over the next three years but did not cost 2 over all and we could still trade darnold for picks then I think it becomes more realistic. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think there's a small chance the # 2 pick would be enough to get a deal done.  Much more likely, I think we're talking # 2 plus another high pick or 2.  

I don't think three 1st rounders will be absolutely necessary if the # 2 pick is one of those 1sts.  That said, if it IS necessary, I'm still 100 % on board with it.  We'd have Watson plus two 1st rounders somewhere over the next 3 years.  We'd also get a pick(s) back by trading Darnold.  That's plenty of draft capital (not to mention our FA dollars) to build around Watson.

i've been saying 2 + seattle 2022 1st and seattle 3rds

• Upvote 2

This.
The #2 pick is a franchise quarterback for the next 3 years minimum and offers a rookie contract and a cap reset.
If a team like the Colts or Falcons wanted the #2 pick, the price would be 3 first rounders.  So Watson for the #2 and 1 first round pick should suffice.  We are in control here, not the Texans.  
SAR I

This has always been my thing. I would be happy to have Watson on the Jets. My issues are in no particular order:

1) His stats were largely compiled in garbage time on a 4-12 team.

2) He does have an injury history

3) He just signed his contract in September and could pull the same thing on us next year.

All that being said this years #2 and a first next year is what I would give up. Thats it and even that is a bit much but the risk/reward seems fair at that price. People who compare the Jamal trade arent taking into consideration that it was assumed by both parties that those picks would be in the late 20s.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

This has always been my thing. I would be happy to have Watson on the Jets. My issues are in no particular order:

3) He just signed his contract in September and could pull the same thing on us next year.

1) How about his stats from the previous 2 seasons, where he was an elite QB for back to back division winners?

2) He hasn't had a significant injury in 4 years.

3) No, he won't.  He has a no-trade clause for a reason.  He's going to go to a place where he wants to stick.  The unique circumstances that led up to his trade demand in Houston are unlike anything the league has ever seen before.  He's not a mal-content.  His gripes are more than legitimate and won't be repeated elsewhere.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This.

The #2 pick is a franchise quarterback for the next 3 years minimum and offers a rookie contract and a cap reset.

If a team like the Colts or Falcons wanted the #2 pick, the price would be 3 first rounders.  So Watson for the #2 and 1 first round pick should suffice.  We are in control here, not the Texans.  

SAR I

Never know if you're serious, but like a broken clock, you may be right twice a day and I actually agree with you on this.

Don't forget that Watson also has a no trade clause and can control where he goes.

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This.

SAR I

Agree. Jets have the advantage. What If Jets offer #2 and #23 over the Fish #3 and #18. Seems Fish offer may be slightly better there but this would force Jets hand to more than likely take Fields or Wilson @ #2.  Texans may have their heart set on one or the other. They obviously are taking one of these two if they trade Watson. Trading Watson to the Jets gives Texans choice as what QB they want to invest in. 

1) How about his stats from the previous 2 seasons, where he was an elite QB for back to back division winners?
2) He hasn't had a significant injury in 4 years.
3) No, he won't.  

1) How about having the best WR in the NFL on his team one of those years.

2) he had knee surgery two years ago

3) The Texans thought the same thing

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I fully agree but sometimes optics gets in the way.

The headline would read "HOU trades Watson for two 1st round pick" which would ignite a firestorm of how stupid they are.  The value of the pick will get lost in the initial narrative.  It will probably settle down after a day or two, but that requires cool heads in their front office to see through the short-term fire.  Instead they have a pastor influencing the decision.  Brilliant! 

Definitely, and so too is the "but but but they got 2 first round picks for a box safety!" but none of that matters.  This isn't just a ho-hum first round pick, and the Texans aren't a win-now team looking to add a missing piece, so the traditional value chart and the Jamal comparative don't hold water.

Deshaun is a disgruntled, expensive quarterback and the Texans are in no position to put the squeeze on anyone.  The #2 pick in the draft isn't "a draft pick".  It's Zach Wilson or Justin Fields.  And one of those two guys is what the Texans need to sell their fanbase and put the Watson drama behind them.  

And, hell, we could trade the #2 pick to the Colts and get 3 first round picks straight up.  Why would we take less?

SAR I

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Except we're not. 

We have numerous options, all generally acceptable to a normal NFL GM:

1. Draft a QB at #2
2. Retain our existing #3 pick QB and see if he can be saved by the new Staff & all our many many picks and salary cap FA options.
3. Trade down, get a boatload of picks, and Draft a 2nd Tier QB like Mac Jones or the like.
4. Trade for a cheaper veteran QB like Stafford at much reduced cost.

We have almost every option available to us. Fans may have varying feelings on these options, but that means very little to our GM frankly.  He/We are in no way "desperate" to trade for Watson, much as many of us would like to see it happen (at the right price).

We're not beggars at all.  We are in the driver's seat this offseason, and should keep that in mind.  

Which one of those options guarantees you to be in the playoff and division champion discussion for the next 8-10 years?  None of them except Watson.  The Jets could trade the next 10 1st round picks and the chances of them hitting on a top 5 QB are close to zero. This is the 1 position in the NFL that you don't get stingy with and I'm hoping JD is smart enough to realize that.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

All that being said this years #2 and a first next year is what I would give up. Thats it and even that is a bit much but the risk/reward seems fair at that price. People who compare the Jamal trade arent taking into consideration that it was assumed by both parties that those picks would be in the late 20s.

Could? The Bills will take care of Allen, maybe this year. If Herbert has another great year, maybe he gets a new deal also. That will be  two more guys who have passed him on the food chain. Add in the fact that we would have traded a king's ransom for him, and he would have all the leverage in the world. You could book on that happening.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, RSJ said:

1) How about having the best WR in the NFL on his team one of those years.

2) he had knee surgery two years ago

3) The Texans thought the same thing

1) His production didn't drop off after Hopkins left.  Didn't see you include that as part of the "garbage time" argument.  And there wasn't nearly as much garbage time for Houston last season as you'd probably like to argue.  A lot of their games were close because Watson kept them in the game in shootouts.  8 of their 12 losses on the season were decided by 8 points or less.

2) Let me re-phrase:  He hasn't missed a significant number of games due to injury in 4 years.  He's missed just 1 game in the last 3 years.  He isn't an injury risk.  At least, no more than any other NFL player playing a violent contact sport.

3) The Texans are terribly run.  Their owner is a douche and he has a con-man essentially running the team.  The Jets no longer are.  Douglas, and now Saleh, has instantaneously given the franchise credibility.  And again, if Watson doesn't want to come here, he has a no-trade clause available to him.  So one way or the other it'll become clear pretty soon on whether Watson wants to be here or not.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Definitely, and so too is the "but but but they got 2 first round picks for a box safety!" but none of that matters.  This isn't just a ho-hum first round pick, and the Texans aren't a win-now team looking to add a missing piece, so the traditional value chart and the Jamal comparative don't hold water.

Deshaun is a disgruntled, expensive quarterback and the Texans are in no position to put the squeeze on anyone.  The #2 pick in the draft isn't "a draft pick".  It's Zach Wilson or Justin Fields.  And one of those two guys is what the Texans need to sell their fanbase and put the Watson drama behind them.  

And, hell, we could trade the #2 pick to the Colts and get 3 first round picks straight up.  Why would we take less?

SAR I

And so could HOU if they get it from us, which might be a consideration.  They could parlay it into Lance or Jones and two more premium picks.  I guess it all depends on what the preacher-man wants.

1) His production didn't drop off after Hopkins left.  Didn't see you include that as part of the "garbage time" argument.  And there wasn't nearly as much garbage time for Houston last season as you'd like to argue.  A lot of their games were close because Watson kept them in the game in shootouts.
2) Let me re-phrase:  He hasn't missed a significant number of games due to injury in 4 years.  He's missed just 1 game in the last 3 years.  He isn't an injury risk.  At least, no more than any other NFL player playing a violent contact sport.
3) The Texans are terribly run.  Their owner is a douche and he has a con-man essentially running the team.  The Jets no longer are.

1) No because he compiled most of his stats this past season in garbage time on a 4-12 team. I watched quite a few Texans games and he did nothing until his team was down 30-7. I am not saying he is a bad QB. I am just saying he is a tad over rated by this fanbase.

2) I agree with you but knee issues and a mobile QB are a risk factor.

3) You sound like the guy who sleeps with the married woman and never things she is going to cheat on you

23 minutes ago, ScouserJet said:

What do you guys value #2 pick as?

genuinely curious.

I’m trying to get on board with not trading three 1sts.

I value the #2 overall pick as three 1st rounders

thus people wanting to trade #2 this year and #23 this year and another 1st rounder next year are offering 5 first round picks in my mind and maybe more than that, due to the fact that the Jets pick next year or the seattle pick net year could both be top 10 to top 5.

On top of this just throwing numbers around assessment you need to look at the actual players you could possibly get with these picks.

9 minutes ago, RSJ said:

]1) His stats were largely compiled in garbage time on a 4-12 team.

Do you mean garbage time within the context of individual games (i.e. the Texans were getting blown out a lot and he got them a lot of backdoor covers) or garbage time within the context of the entire season? 

If you mean the former, then you're just wrong (The Texans lost plenty of close games). If you mean the latter, then your point is somewhat meaningless. You can only play the games that you can play. 

Just now, RSJ said:

1) No because he compiled most of his stats this past season in garbage time on a 4-12 team. I watched quite a few Texans games and he did nothing until his team was down 30-7. I am not saying he is a bad QB. I am just saying he is a tad over rated by this fanbase.

His garbage stats are 10x better than Darnold's garbage stats.

The Texans are in a losing position right now and need to be bailed out—it’s face-saving time for a franchise with all kinds of perception issues. Douglas needs to offer them a package that simply *looks* significant that the Texans can sell to their base. Obviously start with the #2 (which they turn into a QB, which, who cares, because we’d in essence be trading Zack Wilson for Deshaun Watson), then give them the 23, which is in a no-man’s land position anyway, and two picks next year: the higher of the Jets or Seahawks first, and a third. If they want Darnold, toss him in, too, but if they’re drafting Wilson, why would they want Darnold? The Texans get to run to the camera and brag about having three firsts, and we get to parade Watson all over the place and sign our choice of free agent WRs. Win win.

• Upvote 2

Do you mean garbage time within the context of individual games (i.e. the Texans were getting blown out a lot and he got them a lot of backdoor covers) or garbage time within the context of the entire season? 
If you mean the former, then you're just wrong (The Texans lost plenty of close games). If you mean the latter, then your point is somewhat meaningless. You can only play the games that you can play. 

The Texans lost 8 games by 8 points or less. Half their games were blowouts.

5 minutes ago, RSJ said:

2) I agree with you but knee issues and a mobile QB are a risk factor.

3) You sound like the guy who sleeps with the married woman and never things she is going to cheat on you

1) 8 of their 12 losses were decided by 8 points or less.  So I think you just saw what you wanted to see.  

2) Knee issues are always concerning for a mobilie QB, yes.  Though probably less concerning than they used to be; guys recover from knee issues a lot better than they used to.  And I just don't think you can worry about that in today's NFL.  Look around the league.  Tons of QB's are athletic and mobile.  You have to get one if you want to win.  In fact, all of the top QB's in this rookie class are in that category.  So that risk is unavoidable no matter which route we take.  And doesn't Wilson have shoulder issues?  To me, shoulder problems might be scarier than knee problems.  

3) You can't use what is going on in Houston to worry about what Watson will do going forward.  These are uniquely terrible decisions being made by that organization that won't happen elsewhere.  Meanwhile, It would be a terrible look for him if he were to demand a trade from his 2nd destination.  It's not something that any team trading for Watson should realistically worry about.  All teams are doing their research on what's going on in Houston and determining for themselves how much of a part Watson played in all this.  I guarantee you they won't be concerned about it when trading for Watson, nor should they be.  

He's a top 5 QB and is 25 years old.  No need to overthink this.  Go get him.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I have no idea who his connections are.  But he certainly seems to favor the Houston FO over Watson's camp on this one.  And as @T0mShane pointed out, if he is indeed getting fed info from Houston FO people, of course they'd be feeding info suggesting that Watson will be the Texans' QB in 2021.  

Schefter laid out what the issues were without getting real in depth.  He said multiple players on the Texans feel the same way Watson does.  He said Watson had dinner with McNair after BOB got fired and was told he would be included in the discussions regarding GM and HC.  They agreed to let a search firm weed out the GM candidates and then last minute fired the firm and went with Caserio who wasn't on the firms list of potential GM's.  That's when Watson requested the trade b/c he was lied to.  The other issue was that Watson found out about the Hopkins trade via twitter.  The Texans ownership and FO has lost the trust of Watson and it's irreconcilable.  The Texans will keep putting out statements that they want to keep him b/c they want to preserve some leverage in trade negotiations even though they have little b/c of the no trade clause. Schefter also hinted at other really big issues within Houston but wouldn't go into them yet.  My feeling is that teams have been negotiating with the Texans since he requested a trade and I honestly think about where the Texans are with cap space and draft picks going forward and I think internally they know a trade would be best for them as well so they can reset the franchise.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Texans are in a losing position right now and need to be bailed out—it’s face-saving time for a franchise with all kinds of perception issues. Douglas needs to offer them a package that simply *looks* significant that the Texans can sell to their base. Obviously start with the #2 (which they turn into a QB, which, who cares, because we’d in essence be trading Zack Wilson for Deshaun Watson), then give them the 23, which is in a no-man’s land position anyway, and two picks next year: the higher of the Jets or Seahawks first, and a third. If they want Darnold, toss him in, too, but if they’re drafting Wilson, why would they want Darnold? The Texans get to run to the camera and brag about having three firsts, and we get to parade Watson all over the place and sign our choice of free agent WRs. Win win.

Agreed, but unfortunately, I'm still skeptical that Douglas will actually do this.