DESHAUN OFFICIALLY REQUESTS TRADE BABY

T0mShane

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Texans are in a losing position right now and need to be bailed out—it’s face-saving time for a franchise with all kinds of perception issues. Douglas needs to offer them a package that simply *looks* significant that the Texans can sell to their base. Obviously start with the #2 (which they turn into a QB, which, who cares, because we’d in essence be trading Zack Wilson for Deshaun Watson), then give them the 23, which is in a no-man’s land position anyway, and two picks next year: the higher of the Jets or Seahawks first, and a third. If they want Darnold, toss him in, too, but if they’re drafting Wilson, why would they want Darnold? The Texans get to run to the camera and brag about having three firsts, and we get to parade Watson all over the place and sign our choice of free agent WRs. Win win.

Agreed, and I think you are being too generous in your offer(honestly, I'll  bet you never thought someone would say that about you on this site.) Offer #2, #23 and Sam. They don't want Sam, substitute #34 this year, which would be basically giving them 3 firsts.  JD probably knows the market for Sam. Flip him for a 2nd, even a 3rd. We would have most of this years draft intact, kept all our picks going forward, and use  our cap space to sign 2-3 FA's in positions we would have used #23 and #34 to draft.

• Upvote 2

Just now, jetspenguin said:

this is a good point....they has what 11 games to watch and evaluate him in his rookie year? We have has 3 years to watch Sammy...that is not apples to apples. Why would miami sell the farm when they already last year drafted a kid they totally loved after seeing him in only 11 games? why give up on him so fast? if he isnt that bad to give up on him so quickly then why in the hell would anyone else want him in a trade?

#3 and Tua is a great deal for Miami.  Houston can then pick another QB or trade that for a a bunch of picks.  win win for both.

1 minute ago, RSJ said:

Its not an opinion piece. Its a statistical analysis

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

All I know is my work computer blocked it because it considered it a fantasy sports site.

Fine, lets say its legit.  Know what typically drops a QB's production from one year to the next?  Losing arguably the best WR in the game.  

Let's just call it a wash.  Watson's numbers "benefitted" from garbage time but he also deserves a massive amount of credit for putting up those numbers (garbage time or not) without Nuk.

Watson has been a top 5 QB for 3 straight years.  He's elite.  These nitpicky concerns you're throwing out there really don't matter a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.  The benefits way outweigh the risks.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

McCown is a factor.  Will vouch for Sam.

2nd overall, Seattle's first next year, Darnold, and a 3rd.

Allows Houston to trade down for more assets, get a young QB in return, and save face by not having to trade with the Fins who made them look like fools.

If they say no then let them find a better offer.

This is cool and all but I'm still hoping they don't get caught up and give them all the prime picks we have to build the rest of the roster.

Completely cool with run it back with Sam and depending on the cost prefer it.

Darnold is worthless. They will want #2 to replace Watson. Going back to their fans with anything else would be suicide. Let alone a proven failure like Darnold.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

So, I think it’s fun as a GM to advocate patience and building through the draft, and building a culture, etc., but then when you have a chance to get an extremely elusive, yet central piece to any team-building program, you throw all of that happy talk sh*t out and you sell your wife and children to get a 25 year old QB who, for some reason, wants to join your dog-ass team. The alternative is that you build the team up, go 7-9 for three years, and pray to God a QB emerges from your program, which is how you get to be an ex-GM

Bill Obrien got to be an ex GM by trading the farm for shiny things and still had the franchise Qb to take the team to 4 wins.

1 minute ago, freestater said:

Its truly a generational happenstance that a talent of the calibre, and at the age of DW would ever even become available. This is the time to pivot from your well intentioned plan and execute a franchise altering addition. He is the guy that you are hoping the other guy you want, turns into. 

learn.gif

I think Watson is worth 3 first round picks. I don't know if it will be necessary to give that up to get him and here's why.

Watson is in control of this situation. He has a no trade clause and can decline a trade to any team he doesn't want to go to. This essentially means he's picking his new team. He's not going to want the team he lands on to be crippled by the trade. 

Being that he is in control of this situation and doesn't want his new team to be crippled he can simply come out and publicly state that he wants to be traded to team X. At that point, that team is bidding against no one. They're basically giving up the minimum required to sooth the Texans pride in losing a franchise QB or watching him retire at 25, which is exactly what Watson can do if he doesn't get his way. The Texans are better off accepting something and moving on.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, freestater said:

3 1sts is perfectly fine for DW. He is what every franchise needs. Considering we have 5 over the next three years, you're not even killing your ability to add talent. Perfect time, perfect situation, and there's not another player at the position (with availability) more worthy of the investment. 

Especially when you have 4 first over the next two years...and #34 this year..

And you have to put a 1st into a QB anyway.  It really is basically 2 first as a premium, as whatever QB we would have taken at 2 is a wash with DW.

I do believe the only real challenge for him is Miami.  #2 overall is simply too much a draw for Houston to walk away from except is it’s #3.

• Upvote 1

All I know is my work computer blocked it because it considered it a fantasy sports site.
Fine, lets say its legit.  Know what typically drops a QB's production from one year to the next?  Losing arguably the best WR in the game.  
Let's just call it a wash.  Watson's numbers "benefitted" from garbage time but he also deserves a massive amount of credit for putting up those numbers (garbage time or not) without Nuk.
Watson has been a top 5 QB for 3 straight years.  He's elite.  These nitpicky concerns you're throwing out there really don't matter a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.  The benefits way outweigh the risks.

We agree. All I am saying is the asking price of 3 firsts is a tad risky. Especially considering our current roster. And I dont think we will fill it out in free agency either. Not unless we want more Tru Johnsons on the team. There are just too many holes.

16 minutes ago, RSJ said:

https://www.fantasyalarm.com/player-news/1955853/deshaun-watson-saves-night-with-garbage-time-tds/

1) One example of how garbage time stats can compile. Over the course of a season it can rasily move a QB up at least 10 spots.

2) we agree

3) Jamal Adams says hi

lol, Jamal Adams.  If that's your only example, try again.  You're talking about a diva of the highest order.

Meanwhile, fellow diva Brandon Marshall loved it here.  Even after that awful 2016 season.

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

I think Watson is worth 3 first round picks. I don't know if it will be necessary to give that up to get him and here's why.

Watson is in control of this situation. He has a no trade clause and can decline a trade to any team he doesn't want to go to. This essentially means he's picking his team. He's not going to want the team he lands on to be crippled by the trade. 

Begin that he is in control of this situation and doesn't want his new team to be crippled he can simply come out and publicly state that he wants to be traded to team X. At that point, that team is bidding against no one. They're basically giving up the minimum required to sooth the Texans pride in losing a franchise QB or watching him retire at 25, which is exactly what Watson can do if he doesn't get his way. The Texans are better off accepting something and moving on.

I doubt a billionaire from Texas will take kindly to being put in a corner.  That would likely only further his resolve.

Watson has probably already given them 3 or 4 teams hed accept a trade to.  Now he has to keep quiet and wait.

If it doesn't happen by March 1st I think JD moves on.

• Upvote 1

If I'm Houston, I'm looking at the Jets and try to get a deal done as quickly as possible.  They have a new coach and GM and are in  total rebuild.  They need to start repairing all the negative news and allow the coaching staff to focus on the the rebuild instead of being hammered with Watson questions.  With the #2 pick they are in the drivers seat in the NFL draft. 

Jacksonville is just out of the picture.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RSJ said:

We agree. All I am saying is the asking price of 3 firsts is a tad risky. Especially considering our current roster. And I dont think we will fill it out in free agency either. Not unless we want more Tru Johnsons on the team. There are just too many holes.

Trumaine Johnson was an overpaid CB2 brought in by the worst GM of all-time.  Add Watson and we're talking about legitimate WR1's wanting to come here.  Huge difference.

And let's see how this plays out before assuming its three 1sts right off the bat.  

1 minute ago, Pac said:

I doubt a billionaire from Texas will take kindly to being put in a corner.  That would likely only further his resolve.

Watson has probably already given them 3 or 4 teams hed accept a trade to.  Now he has to keep quiet and wait.

If it doesn't happen by March 1st I think JD moves on.

He hasn't already been put in a corner? They're being forced to trade a top 5 QB in his prime. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Pac said:

McCown is a factor.  Will vouch for Sam.

2nd overall, Seattle's first next year, Darnold, and a 3rd.

Allows Houston to trade down for more assets, get a young QB in return, and save face by not having to trade with the Fins who made them look like fools.

These are two very good points....especially them looking stupid for trading their starting QB and as the center piece of the deal in return is THEIR OWN #3 pick hahahahahahahaha good lord......yeah, sell that one to the fan base so they can see just how smart this new management team is. 

Here are 3 intriguing Deshaun Watson trade ideas for Texans — and 1 involves the Jets

Updated 12:41 PM; Today 12:19 PM 
Wild Card Round - Buffalo Bills v Houston Texans

HOUSTON, TEXAS - JANUARY 04: Deshaun Watson #4 of the Houston Texans celebrates a touchdown pass against the Buffalo Bills during the fourth quarter of the AFC Wild Card Playoff game at NRG Stadium on January 04, 2020 in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)Getty Images

Facebook Share
Twitter Share

Deshaun Watson has formally requested a trade from the Houston Texans, just a day after news came about that they’d be hiring David Culley as their next coach.

Tough-sledding for the first-time head coach.

Sign up for Giants Extra: Get exclusive news, behind-the-scenes observations and the ability to text directly with reporters

But alas, Watson wants out, and if Houston obliges his request, they could acquire the largest trade haul for a player in NFL history. Players of Watson’s caliber, especially at quarterback, simply don’t become available ... ever?

So what could the Texans get?

NJ Advance Media gathered its three NFL beat writers (Zack Rosenblatt, Darryl Slater and Mike Kaye) to come up with deals that could make some sense if the Texans ultimately do decide to trade him.

TRADE IDEA NO. 1

Landing spot: Miami Dolphins

The deal: Dolphins send two 2021 first-round picks (3rd, 18th overall) and QB Tua Tagovailoa to the Texans for Watson

Analysis:

The optics aren’t great here for Houston, but at least they get their Top-3 pick back and obtain a high-upside QB prospect to fill the void left by Watson. On the Miami side, this is a boss move, as they essentially trade out their haul for Watson within just one offseason and preserve their future draft considerations, while keeping their second-round pick. Watson can come in and immediately flourish on a young team on the rise. The Dolphins aren’t drained of assets, so Watson is set up nicely for the future. Houston is able to rebuild during David Culley’s first year in town.

Mike Kaye

TRADE IDEA NO. 2

Landing spot: Carolina Panthers

The deal: Panthers send 2021 first-round pick, (8th overall), 2021 second (39th), 2022 first, 2023 second, QB Teddy Bridgewater and S Jeremy Chinn.

Analysis: The Panthers are an intriguing potential landing spot, as they have an intriguing roster, an offense full of weapons and the cap space to make a splash this offseason too. Carolina can’t naturally just trade picks and get an offer as valuable as what the Dolphins or Jets can trade. In this deal, Houston can both have a reasonably priced stopgap solution at quarterback (Bridgewater) while getting a good enough pick (eighth overall) to draft their quarterback of the future. Chinn was one of the best rookies in the NFL this year and looks like a future Pro Bowler. So the Texans are getting four premium draft picks over the next three years, plus a veteran QB and Pro Bowl-caliber safety.

Zack Rosenblatt

TRADE IDEA NO. 3

Landing spot: New York Jets

The deal:J ets send two 2021 first-round picks (2nd and 23rd), one 2022 first-round pick and QB Sam Darnold

Analysis: The Jets and Dolphins are best positioned to make the massive offer it’ll take to get Watson. But would he want to play for the Jets, who aren’t as close to becoming a contender? Miami is clearly the better team at this point. The Jets would have no use for Darnold, who would be the backup in Houston behind Justin Fields or Zach Wilson (whomever the Texans pick at No. 2). If Watson does indeed want to play for the Jets, they can make the best offer, since they have two first-round picks in both 2021 and 2022, due to the Jamal Adams trade with Seattle. But again, does Watson want to join a team that will struggle to make the playoffs in 2021 even if he’s on the roster?

Darryl Slater

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Hmmmm so lets review:

Wrong about Mahomes

Wrong about Watson

yep theres a pattern building up here?

what? how are those two even remotely related. I have been and still am, not in favor of giving away all our picks for him

Are you just looking to argue?

Trumaine Johnson was an overpaid CB2 brought in by the worst GM of all-time.  Add Watson and we're talking about legitimate WR1's wanting to come here.  Huge difference.
And let's see how this plays out before assuming its three 1sts right off the bat.  

I agree but even a good GM can maybe get 3 or 4 viable free agents a year. This team needs a ton of upgrades. And I also feel like some guys will play better now that Gase is gone. But still there is a lot to upgrade.

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, I think it’s fun as a GM to advocate patience and building through the draft, and building a culture, etc., but then when you have a chance to get an extremely elusive, yet central piece to any team-building program, you throw all of that happy talk sh*t out and you sell your wife and children to get a 25 year old QB who, for some reason, wants to join your dog-ass team. The alternative is that you build the team up, go 7-9 for three years, and pray to God a QB emerges from your program, which is how you get to be an ex-GM

I think the other side of this as Jets fans quibble about how much they should give up - there’s no predicting the future or anything, but in superstar trades the team giving up the superstar never wins it on paper. There’s not a fair value deal that Houston will get for Watson.

Douglas has the assets to one up any deal out there and no matter what he gives up he wins the trade. Obviously good to play his cards close to the vest which I’m sure he will and not give up the farm just because, especially since Houston has made some terrible trades, but he’s got to be feeling good if in fact Houston trades Watson.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Wait does he have a no trade clause?????????

just kidding. Im sure we all know he does as its been pointed out 1000000x

so are there any more cocky holds outs that still believe there is no chance if this happening? If so please stand up because everything looks like he will be traded and the jets are clearly in the mix here. No doubt.

Make this easy.... darnold, the #2, next years adams 1St rounder and the year afters 1st. Get it done and blow everybody elses offers away. If he says no thats fine but at least we took a hr swing and a miss

seems like a lot but is it? How much will this hurt us? Not much imo. We still have 1st round picks this and next year and dont need darnold so were just giving up a single measley 1st 2 years from now. Big deal!

1 minute ago, RSJ said:

I agree but even a good GM can maybe get 3 or 4 viable free agents a year. This team needs a ton of upgrades. And I also feel like some guys will play better now that Gase is gone. But still there is a lot to upgrade.

We really just need 2 high-end FA's:  A WR and an interior OL.  Robinson, Godwin, or Golladay, plus Thuney.  That would free us up to use our picks however we see fit, perhaps even using a high one to get an EDGE or CB.  

13 minutes ago, prime21 said:

#3 and Tua is a great deal for Miami.  Houston can then pick another QB or trade that for a a bunch of picks.  win win for both.

yeah that wont fly....they (houston) don't know what tua will be and if his original team gave up on him so quickly why would they trade their proven, probowl, qb to miami to get their own pick back and a qb that miami gave up on? lol thats not a win for the texans.....they will look even dumber than they did after the Hopkins trade. They cant keep making idiot, lopsided trades and expect players to want to come there in free agency. 

Also, if a Watson trade comes together - and I’m still skeptical - wouldn’t it be smart for Douglas to rope in a third team that wants Darnold as part of the deal with that asset going to Houston? That way he’s not just trading him in to Houston who can’t have that much interest if they’re taking a QB at #2 and he’s not stuck with an asset he’s obviously moving. See if some team‘s willing to toss Houston a 2 or something.

• Upvote 1

Just now, derp said:

Also, if a Watson trade comes together - and I’m still skeptical - wouldn’t it be smart for Douglas to rope in a third team that wants Darnold as part of the deal with that asset going to Houston? That way he’s not just trading him in to Houston who can’t have that much interest if they’re taking a QB at #2 and he’s not stuck with an asset he’s obviously moving. See if some team‘s willing to toss Houston a 2 or something.

I would just trade for Watson as soon as possible, and then move Darnold in a subsequent trade.  3-team deals are pretty rare in the NFL.  

Just now, CotcheryifyouCan said:

I’m sorry if this has already been answer, but when can he be traded? Can it technically be today (I know that won’t happen) or does the trade have to wait until March?

A trade can be negotiated and announced at any time, it just would have to wait until mid-March (March 17, I believe?) to be made official.

3 years ago, the Alex Smith trade was announced on January 30th.

• Upvote 1