DESHAUN OFFICIALLY REQUESTS TRADE BABY

T0mShane

We really just need 2 high-end FA's:  A WR and an interior OL.  Robinson, Godwin, or Golladay, plus Thuney.  That would free us up to use our picks however we see fit, perhaps even using a high one to get an EDGE or CB.  

A SS like Neal would be important too. Especially in this new defense. We could also use a CB, at least one OLB. We dont have a 4-3 WLB on this roster. Its arguable whether we have a SLB. And while I like Basham and Phillips idk if we could use an upgrade there at DE. Idk how Basham will play in a 4-3 base. He did play a lot of end in the Nickel and did well but idk how his run support will be in a 4-3 base. On offense I think we need a TE. Its a super important part of this new offense and I dont think you can go into the year depending on Herndon. Finally we need a RB or two.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

A SS like Neal would be important too. Especially in this new defense. We could also use a CB, at least one OLB. We dont have a 4-3 WLB on this roster. Its arguable whether we have a SLB. And while I like Basham and Phillips idk if we could use an upgrade there at DE. Idk how Basham will play in a 4-3 base. He did play a lot of end in the Nickel and did well but idk how his run support will be in a 4-3 base. On offense I think we need a TE. Its a super important part of this new offense and I dont think you can go into the year depending on Herndon. Finally we need a RB or two.

All of those potential FA acquisitions are not ones I would call "high end", and would all be very possible to make happen in addition to a big name or 2 coming here.

There's only 2 positions where need and availability meet for us to acquire marquee FA's:  WR and Interior OL.  And having Watson here would increase the odds of us being able to get those guys here.

3 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

I’m sorry if this has already been answer, but when can he be traded? Can it technically be today (I know that won’t happen) or does the trade have to wait until March?

The Jets can strike a deal in principal today. It just doesn’t become official until March 17th.

• Upvote 1

All of those potential FA acquisitions are not ones I would call "high end", and would all be very possible to make happen in addition to a big name or 2 coming here.
There's only 2 positions where need and availability meet for us to acquire marquee FA's:  WR and Interior OL.  

Something on defense needs to be high end. There is nothing high end on the defense right now. There is Williams Fatukasi and Maye who is a free agent. Everyone else is kind of questionable. Especially in this new scheme.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

THIS....not sure why people are acting like we don't have other attractive choices. DW is a great player but if we can't get him as a reasonable cost then PASS.

and I am a HUGE DW fan and wanted us to draft him in the first place. 

Yup, that's my view as well.

In point of fact, there are some very good, reasonable arguments that Watson shouldn't even cost the 3x 1st Rounders many (myself including) MIGHT be willing to give up.

Watson for #2, Sam Darnold and the Seattle 2022 #1 could be argued to be entirely fair for both sides.

With that said, as in any marketplace, the interest of realistic bidders is what will drive the price, not "fairness".  If Miami, for example, gets a stiffy for Watson, they will drive up the price well beyond "fairness" if it comes to a multi-team bidding war.

JD should remember we're in a good spot, and we (presumably) had a plan BEFORE Watson hit the market.  Following that plan was perfectly fine pre-Watson, it will be perfectly fine post-Watson if he goes elsewhere.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He hasn't already been put in a corner? They're being forced to trade a top 5 QB in his prime. 

There's a difference between :

- I want to be traded and here's 4 teams

and

- You're trading me to the X and thats that 

5 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Something on defense needs to be high end. There is nothing high end on the defense right now. There is Williams Fatukasi and Maye who is a free agent. Everyone else is kind of questionable. Especially in this new scheme.

Quinnen Williams.  

Meh, f**k the defense.  The Jets have invested way too many resources on the defensive side of the ball for a decade, and we've seen the results of that.  Add a few helpful pieces and see what we have in guys like Ashtyn Davis and Zuniga, who didn't contribute last year.  Let Saleh figure it out with what he has.  We need to be all in on offense, joining the NFL in the modern era.

With or without Watson, using heavy resources on the defense would be the height of stupidity right now for this organization.

Quinnen Williams.  
Meh, f**k the defense.  The Jets have invested way too many resources on the defensive side of the ball for a decade, and we've seen the results of that.  Add a few helpful pieces and see what we have in guys like Ashtyn Davis and Zuniga, who didn't contribute last year.  Let Saleh figure it out with what he has.  We need to be all in on offense, joining the NFL in the modern era.

Lol I didnt want 500 DTs either but the teams in the super bowl right now have pretty good defenses. Their offenses are unbelievable but their defenses are decent too.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Watson>>>Namath

Yes I know Joe won a Super Bowl and Watson has not, but Watson is insanely talented. 

Don't get me wrong, Joe was great, even though I never saw him play.

I'll be honest, "best of all time" shouldn't include players as long ago now as Namath.   And for many, he's not "our guy", cause we didn't see him live, in the moment, he's just "an old Jet" for a previous generation, a time we can't really properly evaluate as we didn't watch the league before we were born, lol.

It's like comparing a 1920's QB to guys today, it's unfair all around.  It's an entirely different league, different sport and different level of athlete today than back then.  HOF'ers from Namaths era wouldn't make a team today in the shape they were in, and scrubs today would godly athletes in 1968.  Different rules, different schedule length, different physical shapes, nothing is the same.

I much prefer sticking to at least some limit on Era.  i.e. Watson would instantly be the best QB the Jets would have in the modern era, say since 1980.

It doesn't matter if he'd be "better" than Namath because honestly, Namath, today, doesn't matter beyond nostalgia and old folks memories.  He is not a valid metric by which to evaluate a QB in 2021.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

This will probably be the move by the Saints as well.  IF Brees plays another year, I bet he does it somewhere else.  They are $95 million over the cap WITH major players as F/A.  Best to burn it to the ground for a year, build draft capital, and away you go.  I have no doubt this might be a trend.  Spend for a few years, go for a trophy, and if your window closes, you give up a year to cut everyone and go for the #1 pick.  

I think Brees just hangs it up. An outside possibility of Indianapolis, I guess, but he's got nothing left to prove. Unless he just wants to finish #1 in passing yards, and stays in the league as long as Brady does, seeing how they're neck & neck, but I don't know that it's so important to him. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Lol I didnt want 500 DTs either but the teams in the super bowl right now have pretty good defenses. Their offenses are unbelievable but their defenses are decent too.

It's a lot easier to play defense when your offense gives you a lead.  KC has some excellent pass rushers on it.  When they can pin their ears back and get after the QB, they're deadly.  

I think we'd still have plenty of cap space and picks to find some useful defensive players even after investing heavily in the offense.  That's more than enough.  Build around Quinnen Williams and see what we have in the young guys already on the roster.  The main focus on D would be shifting to a 4-3.  You can find some relatively cheap LB's to make that happen.  And I think we have some interesting DE candidates here already.

And though he's a poor fit for the 4-3, don't be surprised if Mosley ends up being useful under Saleh.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Weird to me both Schefter and Mort have somewhat implied Jets won't be getting him. That knowledge + assuming JD isn't the type to overpay esp with premium draft positions makes me think its probably unlikely the Jets win this auction unless Watson is very stubborn/adamant about going to Jets (can't see it) and Houston is very dumb (maybe!). 

So no expectations, and if it happens - a very pleasant surprise! However that will not stop me from binge refreshing...

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

So you think Watson won’t get traded?

I'm very confident he won't be traded prior to the draft. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Didn't know about Marino.  Interesting. 

Any others?  I was able to find 16 players of significance, including 6 QB's, who demanded trades and got them the other day.  And you said we couldn't use NBA players the last time we discussed this.

There are not many QBs who have demanded trades that are similar to Deshaun. There have been some guys who demanded trades prior to being drafted (Elway, Eli), there are QBs who were towards the end of their careers/their teams were ready to move forward with the successor (Montana/Favre/Bradford etc.), but there are no cases of a young franchise QB who recently signed their extension demanding-and-getting traded. 

Cutler is closest comparison, but the team wanted to trade him. The Texans don't want to trade him, and the only way they will trade him anytime soon is if a team moves heaven and earth for him. Until he makes it clear that he'll sit out/retire before playing another down for them, I don't see him being dealt. For those who think that the Texans would be shooting themselves in the foot and would lose value... did you just forget that we traded Jamal Adams for two 1sts and a 3rd after the draft or...