DESHAUN OFFICIALLY REQUESTS TRADE BABY

T0mShane

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree that he likely has a plan, but I would expect him to be prepared to amend that plan as circumstances change, and availability of a guy like Watson is certainly worthy of changing a plan.  I would hope he will have an initial offer in mind and a "walk away" price as well.  Agree that he should not get into a bidding war and go above what he thinks is prudent.

I'm with you.  Again, he just strikes me as someone that has worked pretty hard to build this plan.  He basically threw away this season to clean house and start over next off-season.  I'm sure he's been licking his chops to start playing with all that cap money and premium draft picks.

He's going to be hard pressed to give that up.

I do agree that he'll be flexible here -  He'll engage Houston but I also suspect he's already put a max value on DW.  He'll stick to that value like he did with Adams and Robby.  In that scenario one worked out well the other didn't - but for better or worse he stuck to his guns.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Let me ask you this,

When a guy like aaaron donald or watt or garret rushes the passer do you have to remove a player from the seconday and also do these players never get blocked?

Because that is the cost of having a SS blitz from the los all the time.

He can't cover, he makes plays at the los when not blocked when you have to sacrifice the rest of your D to accommodate him.

Indeed.  There's a difference between a pass rusher and a blitzer.  Adams is the latter.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, football guy said:

I'm just joking around... None of this matters, He's not getting traded.

If Vegas were always right, I wouldn't have taken them to the woodshed this year. Fact is they hedge, just like the market, and they set odds to entice people to bet. 

You want my advise? Bet Houston. 

I am inclined to agree.  And we might end up better off using all those picks.  But we DO have to make sure he doesn't wind up going to Miami or the Pats.  That would really suck.

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

If it actually happened weeks ago this hire seems to be an acknowledgement that they don’t expect to keep him 

Still

What kind of team can you put around him after trading 3 picks for Sam and probably 3 for him?

Didn’t he win 4 games last season?

Still have a lot of cap space, plus likely a 2nd for trading Sam.

Free agency dream:  Allen Robinson and Thuney.

Offense much improved with those 3.

Defense is already getting better with Mosely back.

That still leaves the draft (with two 2nd round picks), and roughly 20 mil in cap space.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

image.thumb.png.a742a672bcf666d06c1bf6a0ab35a89d.png

ESPN is saying this is all we need to give up! If that’s the deal it’s a no brainer. You still have a 1st round pick next year, plus you still got pick 34 this year

Instead of the #23 pick ,, give up the 2023 first rounder ,,, . Hell the #2 is like 2 first rounders . You can still hit on a good draft .

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's legit one of the best dudes in the NFL.  Just an outright amazingly good dude.

That's consistently what I've heard as well.

Admittedly it doesn't quite line up with the "primadonna demanding a trade" optics at current.

But I'm not worried that if we do acquire him he won't be a grade A citizen.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Schefter to Greeny - don't get your hopes up. If you watch the clip he is saying it in kind of a smug "I know something you don't way" 

Mort said this: 

I dunno - its probably nothing or as others have said they're just grasping like everyone else. But I've been following this close and both seem to only be saying the Jets aren't as big as everyone else seems to think with a wink wink nod nod thing. If it was anyone else but Schefter I'd blow it off but when Schefter says something I listen - F mort. I wonder if they know the Jets won't mortgage the farm. 

Psst if you scroll down the Jets photoshop is there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

The NY Jets have gone nowhere for 52 years the main reason is we haven't had a franchise QB. 

DeShaun Watson is a franchise QB. 

We haven't had a franchise QB in 52 freakin' years and people want to hold onto their draft picks in the hopes that some of them may turn into solid NFL starters - most not at the most important position on the team. Geesh. 52 years people - that's an enormous issue. A QB like Watson comes around for us once in approximately every 5 decades.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Admittedly it doesn't quite line up with the "primadonna demanding a trade" optics at current.

Fair to say there's something behind the scenes that we're not specifically aware of.

10 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Based on?

Based on he was number 11 on the total sacks list - while playing in 3 or 4 games less than anyone above him.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/view/defense/season/2020/seasontype/2/table/defensive/sort/sacks/dir/desc

You guys wanna make JD out to be a genius and Pete Carrol to be a moron - have at it.  I won't stop you.

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Fair to say there's something behind the scenes that we're not specifically aware of.

Speculation of at least a few of those possible issues would delve into Politics and social science issues, and I'm not doing it.

Suffice to say I don't see Watson as a primadonna, and I'm ok helping him get out of Texas if that is his desire.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Meh, we know about 10% of what's going on there.  When franchise legends come out and support Watson, encouraging him to leave and saying that Houston is a toxic dumpster fire, there is probably something to it.  Maybe it looks like a "primadonna" act but we dont know what's going on behind closed doors.  Like, he's not doing Jamal Adams type sh*t, dragging the franchise/coach through the mud, etc. He's just doing this all through his agent.  That said, I dont blame either players, honestly...but it's also why I dont think the Jets stand a chance.  Why would he leave one sh*t hole for another?

54 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Based on he was number 11 on the total sacks list - while playing in 3 or 4 games less than anyone above him.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/view/defense/season/2020/seasontype/2/table/defensive/sort/sacks/dir/desc

You guys wanna make JD out to be a genius and Pete Carrol to be a moron - have at it.  I won't stop you.

Pass rushing is more than just sack totals.

Jamal is effective when blitzing.  He's not a pass rusher.  And, when he blitzes, it leaves a hole in the secondary, which, obviously, teams have found ways to exploit.

I'm not going to crown Douglas, but I think you're kidding yourself if you don't think Seattle would take a do-over on this one, if they could.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Adams is an exceptional situational blitzer and every down run stopper.

He is a mediocre pass defender.  And he is horrific if what you want is interceptions.

I think most folks would agree Adams had alot of talent, but it was talent that was very niche (i.e. on most teams should be filled by Edge players and LB'ers, i.e. every down rushers who don't hurt your pass defense by rushing) and was a "luxury" piece to a team perhaps one luxury piece away, not a foundation for a well built team.

Especially at the price it was reported Adams was looking for long term.

Everyone would love to have a 10 sack Strong Safety and give up nothing of value to keep him.  We just weren't in that spot, we were never one Adams away, and Adams frankly made no difference to OUR win/loss total, generally.  

Hopefully the picks we got for him will be at more premium, core, difference-making positions.  That's up to JD.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Speculation of at least a few of those possible issues would delve into Politics and social science issues, and I'm not doing it.

Suffice to say I don't see Watson as a primadonna, and I'm ok helping him get out of Texas if that is his desire.

I don't particularly need to speculate, as it's a worthless pursuit here.  But, I can feel pretty confident that there's more to the story than we've gotten.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I like Adams and didn't want to trade him, but JD pulled off a great trade.

One that seems like the rare win-win for both sides.

Seattle has a top young defender.

Jets?  Without that trade, we don't have all this draft capital, and we likely don't have the #2 overall pick.

• Upvote 1

The Jets are going to be the overwhelming Favorites here. 

1. Zach Wilson. (No one else could offer)

2. We can take on that Mercilous contract. Miami would have a hard time with it. 

3. Josh Mccown is QB Coach? Sam Darnold Connection? 

4. Saleh. 

5. To Those saying he won't be traded: The Texans will be trading JJ Watt sooner then later. How can they say they are not trading Deshaun Watson right after? Yea thats not gonna work out so well for them. 

Prediction: Deshaun will be be announced a Jet well before the start of FA. 

• Upvote 4