DESHAUN OFFICIALLY REQUESTS TRADE BABY

T0mShane

I like Watson, but the compensation has to be reasonable.  Three first round picks including #2 overall is too much.  The trade needs to be #2 overall OR the Seattle picks.
Joe Douglas has preached building through the draft, and in my opinion, he's going to stick with it.  The Jets need an influx of young, high end talent at multiple positions.  They need a QB, three WR including a #1, a #1 RB, at least two new starters on the OL, and a TE.  This is just on the offensive side of the ball.  They are going to need ALL of their picks and ALL of their current cap space to have a decent shot at building a consistent, competitive team.
The "Watson at all costs" sentiment would ruin this team.  In three years, everyone will be shouting "fire everyone" because the team is trash.
I'll take your thoughts one step further and say Houston has to eat some of that stupid contract.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I certainly could see that happening if it does indeed last beyond the draft.  But if I'm a GM, I'm hopeful that Houston fails to trade Watson prior to the draft.  After the draft, with 2021 capital off the table and the 2022 draft a long way away, I'd be happy to pounce and trade for Watson then.  

I think that may favor other teams in pursuit of Watson though.  Our biggest advantage right now is the #2 pick, and that would be off the table if this drags beyond the draft.  With that known quantity gone, the battle for Watson may be won by whichever team makes the boldest (likely foolhardy) offer - and I don't see that being Joe D.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume that things will work out poorly for the Jets no matter how things go down. You root for this franchise long enough and getting punted in the nuts annually becomes the norm. If a guy can’t specify on exactly how it’s gonna happen who cares.

Dude, you just nailed the cosmic Jets fan question.

Question: "Why do I root for this stupid team when they keep kneeing me in the balls?

Answer:  "I just want to see how this time."

3 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Dude, you just nailed the cosmic Jets fan question.

Question: "Why do I root for this stupid team when they keep kneeing me in the balls?

Answer:  "I just want to see how this time."

Watson's definitely going to the Fins and then we're sitting through the next 10 years of Miami and Buffalo dominating the division right? That's the only logical outcome here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 4

2 hours ago, yvj said:

How does driving up the price matter if Watson doesn't want to come to the Jets? Am I nuts or does Watson not have a no trade clause?

Watson wants a big enough offer so the Texans can trade him. 

I don't see him ruling out the chip leader.

We shouldn't rule ourselves out either.  If he goes to Miami for less than three firsts, we screwed up.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Don't blame me that other Jets fans set themselves up for disappointment by entrenching themselves in never-ending cycles of unrealistic fantasy

Whatever good will you gained on the Saleh signing and his OC just got tossed out the window. If the Jets don’t believe Watson would be traded is beside the point. You engage the Texans and put an offer on the table. No team can place a better offer. If Texans pass then it’s onto drafting a Qb at #2. Trash Throw Away GIF by MOODMAN

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Since no on can offer what the Jets can, I find it hard to imagine any trade demands ending up being too much for the Jets to give up.  The Texans may want the moon, but the best they're going to get is what the Jets can reasonably offer, period.  # 2 and one of the Seattle picks (or even a 2nd rounder) ought to be more than enough.  There's no reason for the Jets to bid against themselves on this one.  

You're starting to come around, but I think it's going to take a little more work lol...

41 minutes ago, football guy said:

Or I simply ask the question to people who are paid to know, get confirmation, and when I post it on here people get pissy because it disrupts their agenda... 

Not a single soul in 1 Jets Drive - or by extension those working from home - believes Watson to the Jets will happen because he won't be traded. If by miracle he were traded, he'd get traded to an NFC team willing to give up more draft picks than the Jets probably would... 

Don't blame me that other Jets fans set themselves up for disappointment by entrenching themselves in never-ending cycles of unrealistic fantasy

image.png.01309db3adae07659f8a30f7870e3dba.png

Except at the end of the day, no team can top a Jets offer (yes, even the teams in the NFC). Of course, he may end up not getting traded, but if he does, the Jets will make an offer and be on the list. 

And if Watson doesn't get traded? The Jets win either way. 

3 hours ago, Lith said:

The intersting thing to me as to how all this will play out is that Deshaun really does not gain any leverage until training camp, when he can begin to sit out.  But if the Texans want to trade him, they will need to move him before the draft.  Not only do they want resources to help this year, but they also have Division rivals with multiple firsts this year, both including top 5 overall picks that are interested in a deal.

Do they maximize their return and make a deal before the draft, or call his bluff and potentially settle for less with the return coming a year later if Watson does sit out.

Will be interesting to see how they play this game of chicken.  Tough spot for the first time GM to find himself in.

The Texans new staff hasn't had time to thoroughly scout Wilson and Fields yet.   

I can see them "listening" to offers but not making a decision until after the pro days in March.

19 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Whatever good will you gained on the Saleh signing and his OC just got tossed out the window. If the Jets don’t believe Watson would be traded is beside the point. You engage the Texans and put an offer on the table. No team can place a better offer. If Texans pass then it’s onto drafting a Qb at #2. Trash Throw Away GIF by MOODMAN

I actually didn't post that. It was part of what I quoted. At very least you make a good offer so that Miami doesn't somehow end up with him cheap because there weren't other offers.

4 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I actually didn't post that. It was part of what I quoted. At very least you make a good offer so that Miami doesn't somehow end up with him cheap because there weren't other offers.

I apologize. I think I was going to reply to something you posted yesterday but never finished. You were tagged on something mean to for @football guy

I think this will fizzle out and Watson will remain in Houston. For it to go a different way, he will have to declare, on the record, himself, that he wants to be traded. Otherwise, it's just hype.

If he does that then the Jets are in very good position if they are willing to part with their #2 pick. I would give the #2, Sam and one of next year's 1s but not until I know I'm not negotiating with myself.

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Except at the end of the day, no team can top a Jets offer (yes, even the teams in the NFC). Of course, he may end up not getting traded, but if he does, the Jets will make an offer and be on the list. 

And if Watson doesn't get traded? The Jets win either way. 

If the team trades Watson they are committed to blowing it up. They won't care about a #2 pick this year as much as say the value chart rates it. They'll take the offer that gives them the most amount of draft picks well into the future, and with that, they'll avoid trading him intra-conference. Pretty sure it won't even come to that

2 minutes ago, Jethead said:

I think this will fizzle out and Watson will remain in Houston. For it to go a different way, he will have to declare, on the record, himself, that he wants to be traded. Otherwise, it's just hype.

If he does that then the Jets are in very good position if they are willing to part with their #2 pick. I would give the #2, Sam and one of next year's 1s but not until I know I'm not negotiating with myself.

B-I-N-G-O

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, dcJet said:

The Texans new staff hasn't had time to thoroughly scout Wilson and Fields yet.   

I can see them "listening" to offers but not making a decision until after the pro days in March.

He cant be traded until March anyway due to league year nuances. 

There are 2 huge factors why he is gonna be traded and why he holds the leverage, not the texans.

1. No trade clause - This happens all the time in other sports because players like Anthony Davis have no-trade clauses and can therefore demand a trade and also hold the cards as to where they wind up.  This is just the first time its happened in the NFL and it could likely change the level of control the NFL has held over its players for so long.  He wont accept any deal to a team that has to gut their next 3 drafts or give up good players.

2. He has a very low salary in 2021 at $10.4 million.  This is a guy who is active in the community and who has made $30 million career to date.  His real cap numbers, and subsequently actual cash earnings, dont start until 2022, so him legit sitting out 2021 is a real threat.  Save a year of getting sacked, give up $10 million and wait until the Texans break.  

They need our #2 pick to get true value in this deal.  If the Jets want him, we are really in the drivers seat to get a fair deal done.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Or I simply ask the question to people who are paid to know, get confirmation, and when I post it on here people get pissy because it disrupts their agenda... 

Not a single soul in 1 Jets Drive - or by extension those working from home - believes Watson to the Jets will happen because he won't be traded. If by miracle he were traded, he'd get traded to an NFC team willing to give up more draft picks than the Jets probably would... 

image.png.01309db3adae07659f8a30f7870e3dba.png

I love ya 80, but this is pretty spot on.  I think this whole thing starts and ends in Houston.  If he’s traded?  I still don’t believe it will be to here.  I could see Carolina, idk about you @football guy.

18 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I apologize. I think I was going to reply to something you posted yesterday but never finished. You were tagged on something mean to for @football guy

The Jets have called. They were told it’s not happening. As I said the other day, I think the Jets will keep their options open. I think they lean toward keeping Darnold and trading down. What does that do for them? 

Let’s say it’s training camp and Deshaun refuses to report. Then Houston has a real decision to make: trade and tank or not let him leave. If he’s threatening to sit out and it becomes real, then maybe they’ll change their position. In which case, the Jets could have up to 4 1st round picks in the 2022 draft alone to work with, let alone draft picks beyond and Darnold if they wanted to make a deal.

I think that scenario, while unlikely, is much more likely than trading for Deshaun before the draft.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, football guy said:

The Jets have called. They were told it’s not happening. As I said the other day, I think the Jets will keep their options open. I think they lean toward keeping Darnold and trading down. What does that do for them? 

Let’s say it’s training camp and Deshaun refuses to report. Then Houston has a real decision to make: trade and tank or not let him leave. If he’s threatening to sit out and it becomes real, then maybe they’ll change their position. In which case, the Jets could have up to 4 1st round picks in the 2022 draft alone to work with, let alone draft picks beyond and Darnold if they wanted to make a deal.

I think that scenario, while unlikely, is much more likely than trading for Deshaun before the draft.

God Sam scares me, I have no problem if Watson goes to the NFC or doesn't get traded but I think rolling with Sam is gonna make me a little sick to my stomach. If we pass on the next Mahomes or Watson because we wanted to hope that the 32nd ranked QB can turn into a top 10 QB, I may lose my mind haha

Houston is going to need to make a decision. Are they willing to get max pre-draft but lose a top QB or hope the QB has a change of heart and risk taking significantly less later on. 

• Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

God Sam scares me, I have no problem if Watson goes to the NFC or doesn't get traded but I think rolling with Sam is gonna make me a little sick to my stomach. If we pass on the next Mahomes or Watson because we wanted to hope that the 32nd ranked QB can turn into a top 10 QB, I may lose my mind haha

Houston is going to need to make a decision. Are they willing to get max pre-draft but lose a top QB or hope the QB has a change of heart and risk taking significantly less later on. 

I don't think that's the logic they're using. They're hedging. They have an inkling that Sam could become a very good QB, but that wouldn't be the primary reason for passing on a QB like Wilson (who consistently had clean pockets in 2020, but struggled in 2019). The reason would be to use the draft capital to build up the roster makes it a better situation for the current or future QB, whether that be Darnold or someone else

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I love ya 80, but this is pretty spot on.  I think this whole thing starts and ends in Houston.  If he’s traded?  I still don’t believe it will be to here.  I could see Carolina, idk about you @football guy.

I've heard Carolina for 1-2 weeks now. They're adding a QB this year, the question is whether it will be Watson (probably not), Zach Wilson (good chance), or Trey Lance 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don't think that's the logic they're using. They're hedging. They have an inkling that Sam could become a very good QB, but that wouldn't be the primary reason for passing on a QB like Wilson (who consistently had clean pockets in 2020, but struggled in 2019). The reason would be to use the draft capital to build up the roster makes it a better situation for the current or future QB, whether that be Darnold or someone else

That is exactly the reason we took Jamal Adams instead of Watson or Mahomes. It inevitably lead to us trading away 3 seconds and using a 1st on a QB the following year when we could have taken Nelson. The logic behind rolling with Sam is sound, I was actually in favor of Jamal because I was under the impression the coaching staff liked Hack, not that they were trying avoid looking bad. (which I admit would be a different circumstance this year since no one drafted Sam)

Honestly I can wrap my head around all 3 situations, if they are not 100% on Wilson or Fields then I endorse moving back and rolling the dice on Sam. 

• Sympathy 3

11 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

That is exactly the reason we took Jamal Adams instead of Watson or Mahomes. It inevitably lead to us trading away 3 seconds and using a 1st on a QB the following year when we could have taken Nelson. The logic behind rolling with Sam is sound, I was actually in favor of Jamal because I was under the impression the coaching staff liked Hack, not that they were trying avoid looking bad. (which I admit would be a different circumstance this year since no one drafted Sam)

Honestly I can wrap my head around all 3 situations, if they are not 100% on Wilson or Fields then I endorse moving back and rolling the dice on Sam. 

Mahomes would've busted here. Deshaun would've figured it out IMO. Also not saying you're wrong but just because it didn't work for Macc doesn't mean Douglas is going to approach it as if he'll face the same fate... right or wrong he's going to trust himself. 

Other thing Macc screwed up: should've traded down. Turned out great for us in the end (have two 1st's and a 3rd under new management), but at that moment he should've dealt the pick. Jamal was a great prospect and it felt great, but not a great strategy to build a defense around a safety 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

You insider-ass haters gonna look like a human centipede when Watson has his first Jets press conference. Joe Douglas is playing 12D chess and you homies are playing parcheesi with some lippy interns. 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Braylon Edwards and Brandon Marshall these are names from ancient history 

They used to try, yes. Like a decade ago

What have you done for me lately, Eddie? 

Traded a boatload of picks for a QB who unfortunately sucks, so we're having this conversation about trading a boatload of picks for a QB who is good?

24 minutes ago, football guy said:

Mahomes would've busted here. Deshaun would've figured it out IMO. Also not saying you're wrong but just because it didn't work for Macc doesn't mean Douglas is going to approach it as if he'll face the same fate... right or wrong he's going to trust himself. 

Other thing Macc screwed up: should've traded down. Turned out great for us in the end (have two 1st's and a 3rd under new management), but at that moment he should've dealt the pick. Jamal was a great prospect and it felt great, but not a great strategy to build a defense around a safety 

Listen, I have said that I very much highly doubt (infact, for sure no) Mahomes would have put up near the same stats and accolades had he been drafted here instead of KC, and it would have probably taken him a little longer to figure things out, but to say he would have busted here is also far-fetched. It's discounting Mahomes's own talent. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

image.gif.9ac17d3820c1ff9f8b4bf4af96047d65.gif

You realize Mahomes sat for a year and was developed by the best offensive coaching staff in football? Ever watch Andy Reid's play-calling? Play design? Fact that he has arguably the best set of weapons in football? 

No doubt the player has developed into a great one. But really don't think he would've done well here... just as I don't think Aaron Rodgers would've done well in SF.