DESHAUN OFFICIALLY REQUESTS TRADE BABY

1 minute ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Listen, I have said that I very much highly doubt Mahomes would have put up near the same stats and accolades had he been drafted here instead of KC, and it would have probably taken him a little longer to figure things out, but to say he would have been busted here is also far-fetched.

Maybe busted is a strong word. I think he would've ended up somewhere in the Jay Cutler stratosphere. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just for me personally, I think we should build up the OL and give Sweet Sammy another shot, we can always trade for a 25-year-old top-5 QB a year from now. JMO

Congratulations to the Miami Dolphins. 

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You insider-ass haters gonna look like a human centipede when Watson has his first Jets press conference. Joe Douglas is playing 12D chess and you homies are playing parcheesi with some lippy interns. 

If Watson comes here, I’ll gladly be smack dab in the middle of that centipede.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, football guy said:

The Jets have called. They were told it’s not happening. As I said the other day, I think the Jets will keep their options open. I think they lean toward keeping Darnold and trading down. What does that do for them? 

Let’s say it’s training camp and Deshaun refuses to report. Then Houston has a real decision to make: trade and tank or not let him leave. If he’s threatening to sit out and it becomes real, then maybe they’ll change their position. In which case, the Jets could have up to 4 1st round picks in the 2022 draft alone to work with, let alone draft picks beyond and Darnold if they wanted to make a deal.

I think that scenario, while unlikely, is much more likely than trading for Deshaun before the draft.

I can see this happening as well. 

15 minutes ago, football guy said:

You realize Mahomes sat for a year and was developed by the best offensive coaching staff in football? Ever watch Andy Reid's play-calling? Play design? Fact that he has arguably the best set of weapons in football? 

No doubt the player has developed into a great one. But really don't think he would've done well here... just as I don't think Aaron Rodgers would've done well in SF. 

Man you're pushing just flat out propaganda here. Mahomes would have busted as a Jet, but dont worry- everything is in place now to rehabilitate Darnold? What kind of BS is this? 

Ya'll keep blaming people that cant hurt the Jets anymore. Gase is gone. Maccagnan is gone. Idzik is gone.How about holding current decision makers accountable? How about expecting Douglas to figure it out? How about finding a QB that can play? How about expecting the team to compete?

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, football guy said:

The Jets have called. They were told it’s not happening. As I said the other day, I think the Jets will keep their options open. I think they lean toward keeping Darnold and trading down. What does that do for them? 

Let’s say it’s training camp and Deshaun refuses to report. Then Houston has a real decision to make: trade and tank or not let him leave. If he’s threatening to sit out and it becomes real, then maybe they’ll change their position. In which case, the Jets could have up to 4 1st round picks in the 2022 draft alone to work with, let alone draft picks beyond and Darnold if they wanted to make a deal.

I think that scenario, while unlikely, is much more likely than trading for Deshaun before the draft.

This doesn't work for us at all.

After the draft, we lose all the advantage our number 2 overall gives us.

Some very good opinions here. 

This offseason has the most QB's available that I have ever seen in my history as a NFL Fan.

The Jets Happen to OWN just about every situation outside of Trevor Lawrence. We own Every Rookie QB. If Watson does get traded he is ours if we desire. We could easily get Stafford. 

If after all of these options are evaluated - If This Front office and Coaching staff picks the option to run it back with Sam Darnold and his 30th ranked stats through 3 seasons, low completion and near league leading turnover margin in a walk year I will absolutely lose faith in this FO. 

I've said it a bunch of times. Gotta give Douglas credit for acquiring this assets. But Idzik acquired assets too. We had a draft of 12 picks with Idzik. Breaking it down is easy. Building it up and making the right choices is the hard part. For the record I think Douglas and Salah will be trading Sam Pre Draft. That whole "He was drafted 3rd for a reason" Salah keeps saying screams trade which is my hope. 

However lets say they pass on other QB's for Darnold - Starting your whole foundation with a guy with those stats and that tape just has to make you question the decision makers if it happens. QB's with Sam's stats up until this point just very rarely turn it around in the history of the NFL. Ryan Tannehill was 10x the QB in Miami than Darnold has been. Hes not a comparable. The only QB that I've seen as bad as Darnold and turn it around was Alex Smith and thats like a 1/100 chance of happening. 

Furthermore what is Darnolds upside? Prime Mark Sanchez with 30 TD/30 Turnovers? Jameis Winston? 

Darnold has been the same QB for 5 years straight except the highlights are less and less. If this FO is as smart as I think they are they take whatever they can get and move on. You only get the number 2 pick once every few decades. Better take your shot. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If that nightmare scenario does play out, I'll still acknowledge Watson's greatness while he's in Miami, while comparing it to a Marino scenario.  And f**k Maccagnan for passing on him in the first place.

Ah the good ol' Marino. I'll follow you on the forum and back your play. We got this. You hear that Watson? Don't make us do it.. balls in your court.

23 minutes ago, football guy said:

You realize Mahomes sat for a year and was developed by the best offensive coaching staff in football? Ever watch Andy Reid's play-calling? Play design? Fact that he has arguably the best set of weapons in football? 

No doubt the player has developed into a great one. But really don't think he would've done well here... just as I don't think Aaron Rodgers would've done well in SF. 

I fully realize all of that. I also fully realize that the he’s played at an otherworldly level literally since the moment he stepped on to the field in his first season as a starter. Aside from injuries I don’t see anything stopping him from being one of the all time greats at the position, and that’s probably putting it mildly. I never watched Alex Smith play with that same offense under the same coaching staff, or Donovan McNabb or Nick Foles under Andy Reid, and thought anything close to that.

It’s not at all out of the realm of possibility, some might say it’s likely, that by the time he hangs em up he’s the undisputed greatest QB in the history of the league. And I’m not the type of person to say that lightly. How this narrative still exists where people seriously watch Patrick Mahomes play QB and come to the conclusion that, “meh, he would have BUSTED here anyway” is mind boggling to me.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TeddEY said:

How could anyone say yes to this, though?

There are so many potential outcomes here.

Deshaun and Texans make up.

Texans refuse to trade him, Deshaun sits.

Texans willing to trade him, but announce only to an NFC team.

Texans trade him to the Dolphins.

Texans trade him to the Bears.

Texans trade him to the 49ers.

Texans trade him to the Steelers.

Texans trade him to any of the 30 other teams.

Jets don't want to give up enough.

Jets actually like Darnold (kill me).

Deshaun doesn't like the Jets.

The chances of this happening are extremely small.

However, I also believe that if the Texans trade him, they have to get the #2 overall pick.  So, it's the Jets or the Jets as part of a 3 team deal.

He has ears inside the walls. If he felt a certain way he could've said "its possible" but he gave me a no. A NO. Game over, man.. its over...

tfw GIF

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I've heard Carolina for 1-2 weeks now. They're adding a QB this year, the question is whether it will be Watson (probably not), Zach Wilson (good chance), or Trey Lance 

Chance Carolina moves up to 2 for Wilson?

35 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Man you're pushing just flat out propaganda here. Mahomes would have busted as a Jet, but dont worry- everything is in place now to rehabilitate Darnold? What kind of BS is this? 

Ya'll keep blaming people that cant hurt the Jets anymore. Gase is gone. Maccagnan is gone. Idzik is gone.How about holding current decision makers accountable? How about expecting Douglas to figure it out? How about finding a QB that can play? How about expecting the team to compete?

I never once said Mahomes wouldn't be able to be redeemed. All I'm saying is that he would not be anywhere near the player he is today. He would've disappointed, just as Sam has disappointed (no that does not mean I'm comparing the two players).

If Mahomes got drafted by the 2017 Jets and played through the Gase era, I believe he would be a Jay Cutler-level QB entering his option year. Maybe bust is too strong, but disappointment.

On the other hand, Deshaun would've been Deshaun. He's shown an ability to operate in a chaotic environment and is a natural born QB who can play in any scheme. His upside not as high as Mahomes obviously, but as a prospect, his floor was much higher and I believe that has translated on the football field. 

2 hours ago, jvill 51 said:

It’s not at all out of the realm of possibility, some might say it’s likely, that by the time he hangs em up he’s the undisputed greatest QB in the history of the league. And I’m not the type of person to say that lightly. How this narrative still exists where people seriously watch Patrick Mahomes play QB and come to the conclusion that, “meh, he would have BUSTED here anyway” is mind boggling to me.

*edit nevermind... i thought you were talking about Watson... 

Still, even Mahomes.... It's a little early to start saying things akin to "likely to retire as the best QB in the history of world"

Some very good opinions here. 
This offseason has the most QB's available that I have ever seen in my history as a NFL Fan.
The Jets Happen to OWN just about every situation outside of Trevor Lawrence. We own Every Rookie QB. If Watson does get traded he is ours if we desire. We could easily get Stafford. 
If after all of these options are evaluated - If This Front office and Coaching staff picks the option to run it back with Sam Darnold and his 30th ranked stats through 3 seasons, low completion and near league leading turnover margin in a walk year I will absolutely lose faith in this FO. 
I've said it a bunch of times. Gotta give Douglas credit for acquiring this assets. But Idzik acquired assets too. We had a draft of 12 picks with Idzik. Breaking it down is easy. Building it up and making the right choices is the hard part. For the record I think Douglas and Salah will be trading Sam Pre Draft. That whole "He was drafted 3rd for a reason" Salah keeps saying screams trade which is my hope. 
However lets say they pass on other QB's for Darnold - Starting your whole foundation with a guy with those stats and that tape just has to make you question the decision makers if it happens. QB's with Sam's stats up until this point just very rarely turn it around in the history of the NFL. Ryan Tannehill was 10x the QB in Miami than Darnold has been. Hes not a comparable. The only QB that I've seen as bad as Darnold and turn it around was Alex Smith and thats like a 1/100 chance of happening. 
Furthermore what is Darnolds upside? Prime Mark Sanchez with 30 TD/30 Turnovers? Jameis Winston? 
Darnold has been the same QB for 5 years straight except the highlights are less and less. If this FO is as smart as I think they are they take whatever they can get and move on. You only get the number 2 pick once every few decades. Better take your shot. 

I dont know if Sam can turn it around, but Brees was worse than Sam in year 3

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

Might be better in the long run for us if the Deshaun trade was after the draft. Would love to be able to go through this draft with our full compliment of picks, and trade future picks for Deshaun after he forces way out in the summer. 

That would be ideal.

Anyways, also appreciate that @football guy is a bit of a Darnold-truther. I'm not gonna go full Darnold-anon Shaman here, but yea, I think very few quarterbacks would've succeeded here in the last three years. The roster, specifically offensively, was completely devoid of talent and the coaching was terrible. 

Rollin'-it-back one more year with the Ginger-Mechanical-Error and an improved roster + what we all hope is a far superior scheme/coaching staff, might surprise some of the haters. 

keyword = might

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
23 minutes ago, Paradis said:

*edit nevermind... i thought you were talking about Watson... 

Still, even Mahomes.... It's a little to start saying things akin to "likely to retire as the best QB in the history of world"

It is definitely early. I don’t know if I’d say it’s likely at this point, but I would certainly understand the argument if someone made it (obviously barring any major injuries). His natural talent and ability is pretty much unmatched (Elway maybe?) and the levels of production and winning this early in his career is pretty much unparalleled as well. So it’s early to say it’s likely to happen maybe, but not too early to say it’s a fairly reasonable possibility, and I don’t think I’ve ever said that about any other QB at this point in their career.

7 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Might be better in the long run for us if the Deshaun trade was after the draft. Would love to be able to go through this draft with our full compliment of picks, and trade future picks for Deshaun after he forces way out in the summer. 

That would be ideal.

Anyways, also appreciate that @football guy is a bit of a Darnold-truther. I'm not gonna go full Darnold-anon Shaman here, but yea, I think very few quarterbacks would've succeeded here in the last three years. The roster, specifically offensively, was completely devoid of talent and the coaching was terrible. 

Rollin'-it-back one more year with the Ginger-Mechanical-Error and an improved roster + what we all hope is a far superior scheme/coaching staff, might surprise some of the haters. 

keyword = might

We lose our advantage of the 2nd overall pick which means we don't get Deshaun. 

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I believe we're the only team next year with two firsts. 

Texans will want a QB.  We'll need to go QB at 2 that they like to stay competitive in the bidding.

3 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Texans will want a QB.  We'll need to go QB at 2 that they like to stay competitive in the bidding.

That's the assumption that media and fans speculate but it's not an accurate assumption. 

If Watson is traded, which he probably won't be, they're going full-fledged rebuild. They'll try to acquire a bunch of picks and build up the roster in order to foster an environment that can help promote successful QB play (just like the Jets are planning to do). If Caserio were to trade Deshaun and take a QB, that's the first and last chance he gets, and the fact is these QBs are flawed... doesn't make them bad prospects, but they're tricky evaluations and it doesn't help that Caserio would have to do it short-staffed, in an offseason with no combine, untraditional workouts/meeting schedules, without even having the time or ability to establish his process given that he has to hit the ground running. Drafting a QB would be the last thing on their list this year; it's too important of a decision to make under pressure or rushed. 

Houston would rather take a chance to wait 5-6 more months, hope that the coaching staff can fix it, that way Caserio and ownership can try to regain trust. If that can't happen and they're left with Deshaun retiring or trade him, then they'll blow up the roster, tank, and begin the full-fledged rebuild in 2022. 

In the end, holding out hope that Deshaun changes his mind makes more sense to them than rushing judgement 

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

That would be ideal.

keyword = might

I'd definitely say I'm a truther in the sense that I believe he's been dealt an unfair hand and that he has the talent to be really good, but I think guys on here just have such absolute perspectives... they say things with conviction that don't reflect reality, only their emotions. 

If we could get Deshaun, I want in. But I know it's not happening, so I won't waste my time growing an attachment there. 

I know Darnold is most likely happening, so I'm listening to what I'm hearing, I'm watching the tape, and I'm trying to give a fair evaluation with a twist of looking at it glass half full. There are teams who build their rosters through the QB and then there are teams who build the rosters around the QB. I think they want to do the latter, and they can do that by using this year to acquire as much talent as possible, putting in place a system, allowing the coaches to get acquatened and settled in a new organization... 

If Darnold sucks in 2021 then scrap him. So be it. They'll acquire another 2022 1st if they trade down at least, they'll have the ability to sign a QB, trade for one, or draft one (by staying put or by trading up). Just need to ride it out and see how Sam does. 

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, flgreen said:

Yeah, I live in Florida, and really don't know many Fin fans who want to trade for Watson.  Maybe 25%.  Most of them really like Tua.  The Fins themselves, at least publicly, seem all in on Tua.

I'm getting the feeling that if Miami isn't interested, the cost for Watson isn't going to be ridiculously high.  We'll see how this all plays out.

All the Tua hate seems to be coming from hot take artists who have decided he's trash after playing 8 games because he didn't perform like Justin Herbert or Joe Burrow.

7 minutes ago, football guy said:

I'd definitely say I'm a truther in the sense that I believe he's been dealt an unfair hand and that he has the talent to be really good, but I think guys on here just have such absolute perspectives... they say things with conviction that don't reflect reality, only their emotions. 

If we could get Deshaun, I want in. But I know it's not happening, so I won't waste my time growing an attachment there. 

I know Darnold is most likely happening, so I'm listening to what I'm hearing, I'm watching the tape, and I'm trying to give a fair evaluation with a twist of looking at it glass half full. There are teams who build their rosters through the QB and then there are teams who build the rosters around the QB. I think they want to do the latter, and they can do that by using this year to acquire as much talent as possible, putting in place a system, allowing the coaches to get acquatened and settled in a new organization... 

If Darnold sucks in 2021 then scrap him. So be it. They'll acquire another 2022 1st if they trade down at least, they'll have the ability to sign a QB, trade for one, or draft one (by staying put or by trading up). Just need to ride it out and see how Sam does. 

That is the exact plan I hope they have and I'm happy to hear that.

If Watson is attainable, go get him.

Otherwise, we shouldn't feel forced into a move at quarterback this offseason. 

This team needs a lot of talent before it's truly competitive, and there's no good reason to put another quarterback prospect through the same meatgrinder and expect different results. 

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Traded a boatload of picks for a QB who unfortunately sucks, so we're having this conversation about trading a boatload of picks for a QB who is good?

Even that was 4 years ago 

The bar is so low. 

• Confused 1
21 minutes ago, football guy said:

Don’t you feel, though, as though Darnold is emotionally toast? It feels like the team doesn’t believe in him at all, and his personality isn’t all that inspiring. I don’t know how Saleh and Douglas can have any confidence that Sam can repair his standing unless they get him playing like an All-Pro really quickly, which seems unlikely

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Don’t you feel, though, as though Darnold is emotionally toast? It feels like the team doesn’t believe in him at all, and his personality isn’t all that inspiring. I don’t know how Saleh and Douglas can have any confidence that Sam can repair his standing unless they get him playing like an All-Pro really quickly, which seems unlikely

If they stick with Sam it will be for one more season. Build up the team. Draft a qb next off-season. 

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, football guy said:

The nightmare scenario is that Darnold is pedestrian but still does win a few games.  It's just not everyday you're in position to draft that high.  I'd much rather draft a top tier rookie than trade for a QB.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

But it's only for one more season.

Under the guise of

• To Darnold "we set you up to fail, we're sorry, but you kinda f***ed up too. Anyway, we're gonna give you another shot with a better coach/team. If you get another STD, consider yourself Haskins'd"
  • To the fans "We cooked up a story and sent Darnold into a meatgrinder (Predator reference FTW). We're gonna roll it back one more year. Be patient. New coach is demonstrative on the sidelines! Pandemic is over! New shiny free agents and draft picks! Bread + Circuses!"
  • Amongst themselves: "Let the ginger take the hits while our boatload of draft picks develop. If he somehow he Rocky Balboas this sh*t, we look like geniuses, otherwise we'll cut bait and draft someone next year. Even better, next year's prospects most likely won't be LDS disciples/Ohio State Quarterbacks." And then they all cackle. 

^^^best post of 2021 so far.  Well done.  I especially like the "another" in front of STD.  But Bread and Circuses ....  I can see it coming.   As Woody gets booted out of the UK...

• Upvote 1
You're starting to come around, but I think it's going to take a little more work lol...

I mean, just because I’d be willing to give up 5 firsts for Watson if needed doesn’t mean that’s realistic or necessary to get him.

In the end, a trade for Watson would make nearly all of us happy, because I really think the # 2 pick would be the prize for Houston when the dust settles. Not much more than that should be necessary to make it happen.
5 hours ago, dcJet said:

Watson wants a big enough offer so the Texans can trade him. 

I don't see him ruling out the chip leader.

We shouldn't rule ourselves out either.  If he goes to Miami for less than three firsts, we screwed up.

My thing is that I don't understand the optimism you have in thinking that Watson wants to be a Jet. If he doesn't want to come here there is nothing JD can do even if offers 10 picks. If you have evidence otherwise please share I must have missed it.