DESHAUN OFFICIALLY REQUESTS TRADE BABY

T0mShane

3 hours ago, undertow said:

how in the hell would Adam have any idea the Jets are gonna make a big trade does he have a time machine?

I feel like Adam would know that because someone on the Jets told him they were going to make a big trade to boost the team. Seems pretty innocent.

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Hopefully them at least calling on Stafford means they know what a terrible idea rolling with Darnold next year is. Personally I do not dare ask more from them at this point. 

I would guess they called on Stafford to check the market price and also to see if Miami was in the bidding.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, undertow said:

All this proves is Schefter has become a hot take artist and a part time journalist and shouldn't be taken as seriously as he is......how in the hell would Adam have any idea the Jets are gonna make a big trade does he have a time machine?

Nope its actually more simple than that. But I’m not getting into that... ?‍♂️

On 1/28/2021 at 1:41 PM, Beerfish said:

We fleeced the hawks on adams an overrated box safety, he has nothing to do with this, other than to make people think it is a better deal than it may be.

Sure, but if you're going to call the 2nd pick 3 1st round picks, it's just as easy to say that the picks we got for Adams are basically Adams.

Stradley has covered the Texans for a long time. This would explain why we keep seeing a disparity in the rumor mill ranging from “He’s not getting traded” to “actually, the price is X.” Same as the build-up to every player trade ever made in the NFL. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Stradley has covered the Texans for a long time. This would explain why we keep seeing a disparity in the rumor mill ranging from “He’s not getting traded” to “actually, the price is X.” Same as the build-up to every player trade ever made in the NFL. 

If this Watson trade was real he'd be traded already 

Why does it take weeks to figure out an acceptable price for both parties and Watson? 

Unless there is no magic price that satisfies everyone and Watson does not really want to be a Jet

Honest question what is the hold up? 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

1. The QB market is still unsettled and teams are out there trying to give Minnesota first round picks for Kirk Cousins.

2. Nobody knows what the cap is yet.

3. There exists no prevailing deadline to move Watson until OTAs and free agency. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Texans are letting Deshaun cool off and calm down.  They don't have to make any moves until early March, so they are hoping he will change his mind and reconsider staying with the team.

SAR I

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:
5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Texans are letting Deshaun cool off and calm down.  They don't have to make any moves until early March, so they are hoping he will change his mind and reconsider staying with the team.

SAR I

3. There exists no prevailing deadline to move Watson until OTAs and free agency. 

There's no deadline for this at all 

Watson could hold out for the next 5 seasons

It does not affect the Texans 

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If this Watson trade was real he'd be traded already 

Why does it take weeks to figure out an acceptable price for both parties and Watson? 

Unless there is no magic price that satisfies everyone and Watson does not really want to be a Jet

Because the Texans may feel that the price can only go up the longer they wait and I am not sure they are wrong.  This does not become truly urgent for them for some time to come (if ever)

6 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Because the Texans may feel that the price can only go up the longer they wait and I am not sure they are wrong.  This does not become truly urgent for them for some time to come (if ever)

This is not how prices work... Supply and demand 

Teams makes other plans, cap space is never more open than right now 

The longer Watson sits the lower his price goes 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Jetsfan_always said:

My rational solution, since Houston is completely delusional in what it is asking:

1-trade Darnold for several picks since the NYJ have apparently given up on him

2-draft Fields as new QB of the future

Use the Darnold picks to replenish the offense and get a RB/WRS

What are you expecting to get back for Darnold? Picks?

45 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There's no deadline for this at all 

Watson could hold out for the next 5 seasons

It does not affect the Texans 

That's silly.  They have a team to rebuild and a quarterback to find.  They have quite a bit of urgency.

But before they go do that scenario, they want to make all attempts to retain their current quarterback.  Letting him cool off for a few weeks is a smart course of action.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's silly.  They have a team to rebuild and a quarterback to find.  They have quite a bit of urgency.

But before they go do that scenario, they want to make all attempts to retain their current quarterback.  Letting him cool off for a few weeks is a smart course of action.

SAR I

This is the NFL teams don't get paid for the win 

The Texans don't actually have to do anything 

That's what a contract means 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I am not sure I buy that but even if it is true then it is in the Jets best interest to wait for the lower prices.

Prices go up at auction deadline time not the other way around.  I think Houston probably feels that this is true and hence can afford to wait.

<edited to add>

If the final price includes not just draft picks but a mix of picks and young defensive starters then that immediately brings a whole different set of teams into the "maybe we can afford this" mix.  That calculus moves the price up not down.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

McNair is probably one of the dumbest owners. He will 100% listen to Caserio-Easterby. Trade away the whole team? Sure! Just make sure I have a teleprompter to read when we give these guys away. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I am not sure I buy that but even if it is true then it is in the Jets best interest to wait for the lower prices.

Prices go up at auction deadline time not the other way around.  I think Houston probably feels that this is true and hence can afford to wait

What exactly is the dead line for Houston? They have him under contract for 5 years. There's no pressure to give their malcontent what he wants. 

Side note the Jets have allowed their players to shoot their way out of town. Houston might not want to allow their players such liberties. 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

What exactly is the dead line for Houston? They have him under contract for 5 years. There's no pressure to give their malcontent what he wants. 

Side note the Jets have allowed their players to shoot their way out of town. Houston might not want to allow their players such liberties. 

Yeah, just ask D'Andre Hopkins. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

I agree. But wouldn't you think the Jets understand this?

The Jets are in the drivers seat here.  I think it's unlikely they make a move until Darnold is gone.  Once Darnold is gone that opens the Jets up to make a move for a QB.

Jets are still in a no lose situation.  Take a QB at 2 or trade for Watson - either way they're in good shape.   Once Darnold is traded I do think you'll see this move quickly.

The Texans pretty much have to wait out the Jets because the Jets really have the most to offer in terms of compensation - They need to use that as leverage with potential other partners if it's not the Jets and they likely really want #2.

58 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree. But wouldn't you think the Jets understand this?

The Jets are in the drivers seat here.  I think it's unlikely they make a move until Darnold is gone.  Once Darnold is gone that opens the Jets up to make a move for a QB.

Jets are still in a no lose situation.  Take a QB at 2 or trade for Watson - either way they're in good shape.   Once Darnold is traded I do think you'll see this move quickly.

The Texans pretty much have to wait out the Jets because the Jets really have the most to offer in terms of compensation - They need to use that as leverage with potential other partners if it's not the Jets and they likely really want #2.

2 weeks before the end of the season people thought Darnold wouldn't be worth a 5th rounder

now he's some kind of hot property? Darnold might not get traded until mid-draft, 2nd or 3rd rd when teams start to panic they missed out on Kyle Trask or whatever. 

As for Houston, there's no proof that the Texans even want 2 overall 

Justin Fields and Deshaun Watson share an agent. Those negotiations would be awkward.  

and it's a rumor that BYU's Zach Wilson is not on their board for religious reasons. Which sounds crazy until looking up the team chaplain that runs the team and the ownership etc.  

why does Houston want 2 so bad exactly? if anything they seem more hot on Quinnen in the trade and that seems to be a deal breaker for most fans. 

If the Jets trade now they almost certainly have to overpay. The longer this thing goes on the lower Watson's price goes, until middle of the year, they are shipping him out of town on the cheap to end the distraction 

On 1/31/2021 at 5:36 PM, JTJet said:

You're going to need to elaborate on how we become less of a favorite. 

How is there more competition when we would possibly hold more draft capital for a trade than anyone else after the draft. 

Shout out to @Shockwavefor this great piece that shows how we are the #1 favorites before the draft right now with just Miami as competition.

To answer JT... After the draft we can offer 3 ones in 2022-3 which is substantial.

But, other teams can offer 3 ones and 3 twos to match or drive up the price.

Or, two ones and a player can match us too.

Or, someone can offer Fields or Wilson plus two ones if we don't draft a QB at two.

And most importantly and something to consider, some teams eyeing Watson now have the time to prep.  Maybe trade down or trade players for picks and clear their caps to get them in the running.

Point is, now is the time to strike - after the draft there may be more competition than Miami.

25 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Shout out to @Shockwavefor this great piece that shows how we are the #1 favorites before the draft right now with just Miami as competition.

To answer JT... After the draft we can offer 3 ones in 2022-3 which is substantial.

But, other teams can offer 3 ones and 3 twos to match or drive up the price.

Or, two ones and a player can match us too.

No. This is a gigantic difference. 

To match our offer after the draft, teams would have to spread their offers over more years, in turn making them potentially less appealing. 

Again, we are currently one of two teams that will have multiple 1sts in 2022 (Lions). So we along with them would be more flexible in offering up a package compared to teams that would have to weigh the risks of letting their only 1st round picks go in a deal (this alone would squash at least a couple teams dreams of a deal)

The driving up of the price part is irrelevant to my argument that we would still be the favorites. 

After the draft, we would have (probably) the most valuable draft capital for the next year, Deshaun apparently wants NY (unlikely to change), he likes our coach, and probably a 1/3rd of the league at minimum will have their QB plans in place for 2021. 

We would still be the favorites after the draft unless we draft a QB ourselves.

13 minutes ago, JTJet said:

No. This is a gigantic difference. 

To match our offer after the draft, teams would have to spread their offers over more years, in turn making them potentially less appealing. 

Again, we are currently one of two teams that will have multiple 1sts in 2022 (Lions). So we along with them would be more flexible in offering up a package compared to teams that would have to weigh the risks of letting their only 1st round picks go in a deal (this alone would squash at least a couple teams dreams of a deal)

The driving up of the price part is irrelevant to my argument that we would still be the favorites. 

After the draft, we would have (probably) the most valuable draft capital for the next year, Deshaun apparently wants NY (unlikely to change), he likes our coach, and probably a 1/3rd of the league at minimum will have their QB plans in place for 2021. 

We would still be the favorites after the draft unless we draft a QB ourselves.

What you're saying is maybe we'll be the favorites next year.  I'm saying we're favorites now, maybe not so much next year.  

What worries me is so much can happen, Detroit has two firsts now, maybe Carolina or Atlanta or Miami trade down, now they have two firsts also.  And maybe someone trades Garropalo or Hurts, now they have 2 ones.

If Watson isn't traded by the draft, teams will scheme to get in position.  That hurts us and it might cost more with more teams competing.

One NFL general manager said he hasn't heard anything from Houston that makes him think Watson will be traded, and he suggested this is mainly a media-driven story. 

According to two high-level executives from different teams in the quarterback market, Texans brass have told interested teams that they will not be having any conversations about trading Watson.

"We've been told 'no' from them directly," one of the executives said. 

Interested teams are putting plans together, he continued. "But I don't think the Texans are listening." 

The second executive said he isn't sure what to make of Houston not wanting to talk about a Watson trade. There's new leadership in town, but the organization has been such a mess.

"It's Houston right now," he said. "They don't have any rhyme or reason on what they have done over the last year-and-a-half."

The general manager noted that Caserio can publicly say he isn't interested, but everyone has a price.