DESHAUN OFFICIALLY REQUESTS TRADE BABY

T0mShane

19 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So you think the GM that traded Jamal Adams for 2 first round picks will turn around and trade quinnen for the equivalent of 1 first round pick????

I don’t *think* anything. Twitters most recent tweet in question was 2 first rounders, 2 3rd rounders and a player. I was replying to the tweet with my own opinion on what would be too much to offer. People are too quick to reply without reading.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Report: Deshaun Watson knows trade to Jets would limit their ability to build around him

Tyler Greenawalt
Thu, February 18, 2021, 12:04 PM

39dd1f81b3c585f8b2fb42284a59da44

It’s no secret Deshaun Watson wants out of Houston. It’s also no secret that the Jets can offer the Texans the best package in a trade.

But while a Jets-Watson marriage is plausible, it may also be unlikely. That’s because Watson understands that if he waived his no-trade clause to join the New York, it could hurt its ability to build around him, per a report from The Athletic’s Jayson Jenks and Aaron Reiss:

The Jets and Dolphins are two rumored preferred landing spots for Watson, whose no-trade clause gives him leverage. But a source said the quarterback is open to other teams and is aware that any trade with New York would limit the Jets’ ability to build a quality roster around him.

This report doesn’t necessarily mean Watson wouldn’t accept a trade to the Jets if it was the only one on the table, but it could indicate New York is much lower on his list of desired destinations. Other potential suitors include the Carolina Panthers, Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49ers and Denver Broncos.

While the Jets have an advantage over other teams in trade negotiations with the Texans, they’re at a disadvantage when it comes to luring Watson. New York has four first-round picks in the next two drafts – which is likely enough to persuade the Texans to accept an offer.

The issue, though, is Watson needs to clear any trade before it can become official, and the Jets have one of the worst rosters of his possible suitors. A trade for Watson, as well as his contract, would cripple the Jets’ ability to build around him.

New York has enough cap space to take on Watson’s $15.9 million cap hit in 2021, but that number balloons to $40.4 in 2022. Depending on how many picks the Jets give up for the trade, Joe Douglas and company would then have to rely on either cheap free agents or late-round rookies to fill out their roster. That sounds too similar to the situation Watson wants to leave in Houston. Granted, Douglas already has a better drafting track record than Houston, but that’s a big risk for Watson when teams like the Dolphins and Panthers have a slightly better overall roster.

Houston is in no rush to trade Watson, yet, but negotiations could accelerate as the offseason progresses and more teams make proposals. The Jets should be among those who look into trading for Watson, but it’s not a given he’ll accept a trade to New York if it means he won’t join a competitive team.

I call BS on this, the Texans will let him rot on the bench before he gets traded to a team that isn't in a high enough position to get them a QB. The Dolphins are going to be our biggest hurdle as they can put together a more attractive offer, the only way we beat the Phins is if the Texans fall for Wilson or don't want to trade for their original pick back from Miami.

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

I call BS on this, the Texans will let him rot on the bench before he gets traded to a team that isn't in a high enough position to get them a QB. The Dolphins are going to be our biggest hurdle as they can put together a more attractive offer, the only way we beat the Phins is if the Texans fall for Wilson or don't want to trade for their original pick back from Miami.

Tyler Greenawalt

17 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Are you looking to build a playoff team or a super bowl team? I think the best odds for having a super bowl team in the next 5 years is to hit on a QB 2nd overall and build around him with draft picks and cap space. 

If the Jets can’t build a SB team within 5 years around Watson, then the problem is the GM and/or HC.

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Show me the actual bottom-line asking price needed to become the highest bidder and I’ll tell you if it’s worth it.

I’m not seeing where 4 first round picks is coming from. But if it meant not sinking 3 more years in another failure QB prospect? Absolutely.

FFS people are seriously advocating using the most valuable of those assets - which would presumably account for 2 of those 4 1st round picks - so the team can ultimately upgrade it’s RT. That’d leave 2 more 1st rounders, and one of those will be recouped (or nearly recouped) just by trading Darnold. 

The team has plenty of draft picks. It lacks a QB.  If you could assure me we could draft a FQB at #2 this year who’s at least 80% of Watson? Sure, that’d be better. I’m not that confident, though. 

Okay, 2, 23 highest of the 1’s next year. I think I do that deal - but it’s not an easy decision. And wouldn’t go any higher.  Thoughts? 

IMO, Any more than that and you’re setting yourself up for failure.  
Looking at a new regime in three years, a QB forcing his way out and having to start over - but this time without the multitude of resources we current have. 

if this roster was even just poor right now I would feel better but it’s absolutely awful. And Watson has clearly shown without talent he can lose. 

again, I probably do that deal but it’s not a no brainer and can very easily blow up in our face. 

When things such as this drag on and on I reach a saturation point and completely stop caring. I'm almost there. The problem is that once that occurs I don't start caring again after there's resolution. "Deshaun Watson is a Jet!" "Yawn." "Deshaun Watson is an XYZ! We're doomed forever!" "Yawn." OK, now that I've talked about this personality trait of mine, I realized I'm over it. Next. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Really scary to think about if we traded for Watson and traded Darnold, we’d only be left with two second rounders, two third rounders, a fourth, two fifth rounders, a sixth and seventh, and then next year we’d only have a first, a second, a fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh rounder, and a wee $60 million dollars under the cap to surround Watson with talent in 2021. It’d be like impossible to acquire a single other good player to play with him and we’d, no doubt, go 2-14 because we passed on Zack Wilson and whatever guard we picked at 23 this year. ??????????

Woke up in a cold sweat thinking about ending up with Deshaun Watson BUT missing out on Shi Smith at the top of round two. I’m still shook.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I likely overreacted to an unverified source, but it sounds about like the most Woody Johnson thing I've heard in my life.

"F*** your evaluations. I choose star power."

And I want Watson. But that trade is insane. 

lol - I wasnt knocking you for posting it, just laughing at the idea that QB evaluation is over when they havent spoken to a single on of them.

I want this to happen badly, so I wish this was true but come'on.  lol

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

lol - I wasnt knocking you for posting it, just laughing at the idea that QB evaluation is over when they havent spoken to a single on of them.

I want this to happen badly, so I wish this was true but come'on.  lol

Oh no worries on the first part.

But no way - you're good with that deal!? 4 firsts, 2 thirds and a defensive player ( I will dress up like a viking and storm Florham Park if that defensive player is Quinnen).

That's insanity!

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Okay, 2, 23 highest of the 1’s next year. I think I do that deal - but it’s not an easy decision. And wouldn’t go any higher.  Thoughts? 

IMO, Any more than that and you’re setting yourself up for failure.  
Looking at a new regime in three years, a QB forcing his way out and having to start over - but this time without the multitude of resources we current have. 

if this roster was even just poor right now I would feel better but it’s absolutely awful. And Watson has clearly shown without talent he can lose. 

again, I probably do that deal but it’s not a no brainer and can very easily blow up in our face. 

I think that’s an easy decision. I do that deal immediately.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think that’s an easy decision. I do that deal immediately.

Considering #2’s value, I think I would ask for one of Houston’s 4th round picks. Probably the 3rd pick in that round and a ‘22 3rd. JD has several ways to lessen the value  impact offering 3 firsts to Houston. Houston gets value to quiet the fan base andJets get Watson and some extra I’d round picks  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Considering #2’s value, I think I would ask for one of Houston’s 4th round picks. Probably the 3rd pick in that round and a ‘22 3rd. JD has several ways to lessen the value  impact offering 3 firsts to Houston. Houston gets value to quiet the fan base andJets get Watson and some extra I’d round picks  

Is #2 really that valuable though? It’s Zack Wilson, who seems like a coin flip prospect

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Is #2 really that valuable though? It’s Zack Wilson, who seems like a coin flip prospect

Go to one of the mock draft simulator and trade down and see what you end up getting in the end for the resources needed to get watson this year.  It is not insignificant.

The best thing to happen for the Jets?

Have houston play hard ball and not deal watson  this year.

Jets trade down and are able to get some great players this year and add at least one or two 1st rounders next year.

Then after watson either sits or plays hard ball and still wants out the Jets are in far better position to make a bid.

Not only that we will know what those picks are going to look like next year.  Both the Jets and seahawks picks or both could be very high.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Go to one of the mock draft simulator and trade down and see what you end up getting in the end for the resources needed to get watson this year.  It is not insignificant.

Jets trade down and are able to get some great players this year and add at least one or two 1st rounders next year.

Then after watson either sits or plays hard ball and still wants out the Jets are in far better position to make a bid.

Not only that we will know what those picks are going to look like next year.  Both the Jets and seahawks picks or both could be very high.

Alright, I’ll give you two scenarios and you tell me which is better:

1. Jets trade the #2 to the Panthers for #8 and a second this year, and a #1 and #2 next year. Jets take Devonta Smith at 8, and whatever at 23.

or

2. Jets trade #2, #23, and a 2022 first and third for Deshaun Watson. 

Q: In two years, which trade leaves the Jets in a better position to win a title?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s my take as well. I’m not blind to a chart that’s been public knowledge for decades, and I can adequately add and subtract at the requisite 4th grade level here. 

Yes the #2 pick has tremendous trade value, or trade-down value, as people have attested. But in the end you’ve got to take players with those accumulated picks, if you’ve chosen to use them on prospects instead of trading for a veteran. And these high picks are being spoken of as though they’re all slam dunk high-end starters, which is wishful thinking. 

Typically I dislike trading away such a high pick on an expensive veteran. Watson isn’t typical. Put aside the nostalgia over Namath’s SB ring and his innate ability & skills (particularly before Bryant criminally abused him in college) which I’m sure are all true. Watson is a better QB than this franchise has ever had.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. Jets trade the #2 to the Panthers for #8 and a second this year, and a #1 and #2 next year. Jets take Devonta Smith at 8, and whatever at 23.

or

Q: In two years, which trade leaves the Jets in a better position to win a title?

Depends on if like in my scenario we can trade for watson next year after already drafting devonta smith and whatever.

And not only that we will know what our three 1st rounders are pick wise next year as well.

Watson I like, I liked him before his draft year but I also think three things.

1) the Jets have massive talent holes all over the roster.  We are not wining the super bowl no matter who is at Qb unless we get a major infusion of talent.  (See Houston last year)

2) In many cases the teams that succeed do so by at least partially building a team 1st then adding a QB

3) Watson is not the only QB out there and there will be good draftable QBs next year.

In any case this should be interesting in the coming weeks, things will really heat up or cool right off sooner or later.

To the Jets and Douglas' credit we really have no idea what the jets are really thinking on this issue.

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

or

The problem is there is absolutely zero precedent to go off of. Yes, QB's have been traded before but there is usually an injury involved in the mix here or some other weird factor. None of that exists on this one. We know that giving up the entire farm for a higher pick comes with a lot of risks, but this isn't a pick, and Watson is this elite guy that isn't even in his prime yet. The whole thing is so odd. I have no idea what the fair compensation is and more importantly I really have no clue if it's worth it. Trade for him and it leaves zero margin for error. Don't trade for him and it could be equally an all-time bad move. ****.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That’s my take as well. I’m not blind to a chart that’s been public knowledge for decades, and I can adequately add and subtract at the requisite 4th grade level here. 

Yes the #2 pick has tremendous trade value, or trade-down value, as people have attested. But in the end you’ve got to take players with those accumulated picks, if you’ve chosen to use them on prospects instead of trading for a veteran. And these high picks are being spoken of as though they’re all slam dunk high-end starters, which is wishful thinking. 

Typically I dislike trading away such a high pick on an expensive veteran. Watson isn’t typical. Put aside the nostalgia over Namath’s SB ring and his innate ability & skills (particularly before Bryant criminally abused him in college) which I’m sure are all true. Watson is a better QB than this franchise has ever had.

The #2 overall pick is not what is holding back the naysayers or doubters like me in this deal it is the heap of other resources being bandied about.

If we are going to trade the #2 overall pick (which you can parlay into a number of other picks if you wish) for watson go for it.  Everyone would rather have watson than a rookie.  Once you start adding two other 1sts and the talk about other picks as well., well there is a limit.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

+1 It’s such a unicorn situation that I feel like the detractors are treating it as trading the 2 for, like, Jay Cutler. Watson is a set-in-stone elite 25 year old QB coming free at a time when the Jets were outright gifted two extra ones for Jamal. That there’s anyone even remotely against the effort to trade for him is insane, imo. It’s Zack Wilson, Alex Leatherwood, and the 18th overall in 2022? Fuuuuck that

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Depends on if like in my scenario we can trade for watson next year after already drafting devonta smith and whatever.

And not only that we will know what our three 1st rounders are pick wise next year as well.

Watson I like, I liked him before his draft year but I also think three things.

1) the Jets have massive talent holes all over the roster.  We are not wining the super bowl no matter who is at Qb unless we get a major infusion of talent.  (See Houston last year)

2) In many cases the teams that succeed do so by at least partially building a team 1st then adding a QB

3) Watson is not the only QB out there and there will be good draftable QBs next year.

In any case this should be interesting in the coming weeks, things will really heat up or cool right off sooner or later.

To the Jets and Douglas' credit we really have no idea what the jets are really thinking on this issue.

We disagree on two fronts:

1. Watson is getting dealt this offseason. If the Jets stand down on this, Watson is going to Miami or Carolina and Douglas needs to pray to Christ that his solution at QB equals or is better than Watson in Miami or Carolina. 

2. A Watson trade still leaves Douglas with reasonable resources to acquire talent. There are high-end picks remaining, and plenty of cap room. Additionally, how much does the addition of Watson improve the performance of existing talent? Mims will look better. Herndon will look better. Becton and Fant look better. Darnold was an anchor around everyone’s neck. Watson won’t be.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

+1 It’s such a unicorn situation that I feel like the detractors are treating it as trading the 2 for, like, Jay Cutler. Watson is a set-in-stone elite 25 year old QB coming free at a time when the Jets were outright gifted two extra ones for Jamal. That there’s anyone even remotely against the effort to trade for him is insane, imo. It’s Zack Wilson, Alex Leatherwood, and the 18th overall in 2022? Fuuuuck that

And his fans are delusional thinking he is a can’t miss 10 year top 5 qb.    He’s good, he’s not elite outside of fantasy stats, and he has two bum knees and relies on his legs, is undersized and doesn’t have a plus arm. Trading even two 1st round picks for him would be so typical jets winning the offseason and sucking every year.

25 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That's a fun one. In this scenario if Douglas can somehow flip Darnold for a '21 or '22 1st (not completely unrealistic), then Douglas trades away a first, Jamal Adams, Darnold, and two thirds for Watson. 

Don't forget one of those 3rds was part of the Adams trade. 

Darnold and Adams on year 4 of their rookie contracts + Zach Wilson + a 3rd

for 25 yr old Deshaun Watson

I'm baffled there's a single Jets fan alive that's actually thinking: "Nah."

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. Watson is getting dealt this offseason. If the Jets stand down on this, Watson is going to Miami or Carolina and Douglas needs to pray to Christ that his solution at QB equals or is better than Watson in Miami or Carolina. 

2. A Watson trade still leaves Douglas with reasonable resources to acquire talent. There are high-end picks remaining, and plenty of cap room. Additionally, how much does the addition of Watson improve the performance of existing talent? Mims will look better. Herndon will look better. Becton and Fant look better. Darnold was an anchor around everyone’s neck. Watson won’t be.

Agreed. Except, Herndon?..

Team Usa Oops GIF by NBC Olympics

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I absolutely understand what you’re saying and I also think the mock draft simulators are the worst thing that’s happened to fan expectations, especially for a fan base that already wants to trade down annually, in a long time.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I do wonder if Watson gets traded this offseason but post draft. We’ve seen it recently with Adams. If the Texans are stubborn I’d love to see Douglas add to his already advantageous 2022 draft capital position. Maybe Detroit beats the Jets out if they’re terrible but it’s a really good spot right now he can make better and still add to the team. Not absurd for the Jets to have three ones next year and have added a really good player this draft. Potentially better if they deal Darnold.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Don't forget one of those 3rds was part of the Adams trade. 

Darnold and Adams on year 4 of their rookie contracts + Zach Wilson + a 3rd

for 25 yr old Deshaun Watson

I'm baffled there's a single Jets fan alive that's actually thinking: "Nah."

I think it's more the idea that the Jets have a tremendous amount of draft capital for the next two years and it is probably their greatest opportunity to build a complete team on the cheap. Which they've never done. Those people have a point. 

On the other hand, the Jets are dumb and draft like sh*t. The above scenario is built on they assumption that that they'll get everything right on those picks. Which they have never done. People who point that aspect out also have a point. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

And his fans are delusional thinking he is a can’t miss 10 year top 5 qb.    He’s good, he’s not elite outside of fantasy stats, and he has two bum knees and relies on his legs, is undersized and doesn’t have a plus arm. Trading even two 1st round picks for him would be so typical jets winning the offseason and sucking every year.

You can do this with literally every available QB. Plug Rodgers in there. Plug Brady in there. Mahomes. QBs are expensive and risk-laden. You do the beat you can. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

You can do this with literally every available QB. Plug Rodgers in there. Plug Brady in there. Mahomes. QBs are expensive and risk-laden. You do the beat you can. 

If this is mahomes or Rodgers In his prime you trade four firsts. Watson isn’t in the stratosphere of those two, let alone Brady.

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

or

I mean, let’s ignore all the hypotheticals of two additional drafts + free agency periods and go broke on an A/B question..