Jump to content

DESHAUN OFFICIALLY REQUESTS TRADE BABY


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i disagree. i dont think any NFL team wants to go into the season with their best player esp a QB on the fritz. you'd end up with an at best a split locker room. they only play here is to get what you can, reset with a bunch of guys who need the work and are willing to be there even though they know its a teardown....and then u start fresh next year with building your new core.

all this does raise questions about JJ, u'd think they would both be gone.

You are free to disagree, but that's the reality. They are hoping Culley can repair the locker-room and build a new culture over the next 2 years paving the way for a new HC once the job is attractive again, or they will blow everything up and have Culley oversee the cultural rebuild of the "meat" of the roster (new draft picks and additions) until it becomes an attractive job again in 2 years. 

6 minutes ago, Drums said:

I disagree. I think his value would go down with 12 mos off. Plus, who knows who would pick 2 next year— he has the no trade clause and may not want to go there. It can be a lot quicker if they do it now. Again, new 65 year old coach  and most likely a pissed off fan base. 

Carson Palmer retired for 8 games and saw his value increase. Deshaun will be 26 years old with 5 years left on a cost controlled contract... his value will stay the same. 

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But it wouldn't be the same haul.  There isn't going to be a team with the # 2 pick AND multiple first rounders available as part of a trade.

And by waiting a year, they'd be pushing the clock back on when they can get a QB on a rookie deal in there.  We also don't know what the QB class will look like next year.

None of this makes logical sense.  You may well be right, but the best possible move for Houston is to trade him as soon as possible for as much as they can get, so they have 2021 draft capital and can get themselves a new QB.  However this plays out, Watson has either played his last snap with Houston and/or will cause significant problems for the organization moving forward if they don't work to trade him.

See above. Plus, they would rather sacrifice the #2 pick and hold out hope that they can repair the relationship with Deshaun rather than make an impulsive decision with a timeline on it. Imagine trading him on the premise that you get #2 and #2 is a bust... the franchise is destroyed for 10 years. 

Plenty of players have requested trades and haven't gotten them, especially players to the magnitude of Deshaun. And if they do pivot, they will prioritize NFC teams first... this will be approached as a long-term, 3-4 year rebuild. Future picks would arguably have just as much value as current picks... the trade value chart is a framework, it's not gospel. Teams factor in their rebuild timelines to valuate future draft picks, 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just for me personally, I think we should build up the OL and give Sweet Sammy another shot, we can always trade for a 25-year-old top-5 QB a year from now. JMO

Congratulations to the Miami Dolphins. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

I'm not gonna get my hopes up

BUT MY GOODNESS IF WE CAN LAND A 25 YEAR OLD TOP 3 QB I'M GETTING JD'S INITIALS BRANDED ON MY ASS.

Just JD or “JD was here”?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Option, other than keeping him?

He has that pesky no trade clause, not like they can turn around and trade him for a better offer, he'll just veto the trade.

Its a tricky situation 

Agreed that it is tricky and I wouldn't want to be in that spot.  But they still have to answer to their fan base.  They couldn't defend that trade.  There has never been a 25 year old franchise QB traded.  They will hold onto him before they would take a second and Darnold.  And Miami would top that offer without batting an eye.  And I am skeptical that Watson strongly prefers the 2 game winning team over the 10 win team with a great climate and no state income tax.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to imagine Watson wearing anything but a Jets uniform next season. He wants to come here, we need a QB, and he perfect for the NY spotlight/marketing/etc. Watson is literally a perfect fit for the NY Jets

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But it wouldn't be the same haul.  There isn't going to be a team with the # 2 pick AND multiple first rounders available as part of a trade.

And by waiting a year, they'd be pushing the clock back on when they can get a QB on a rookie deal in there.  We also don't know what the QB class will look like next year.

None of this makes logical sense.  You may well be right, but the best possible move for Houston is to trade him as soon as possible for as much as they can get, so they have 2021 draft capital and can get themselves a new QB.  However this plays out, Watson has either played his last snap with Houston and/or will cause significant problems for the organization moving forward if they don't work to trade him.

All of this, yes.

Plus there's something else a little more nuanced: they're not going to be a good team this year. They have limited cap room, and gave up their #3 overall pick for the privilege of extending Laremy Tunsil at $22MM/year (lol). So it's in their interest to get the next QB in this year, and let him show that he's a good QB (their WR corps isn't barren), so there'll be more FA interest when their purse strings loosen up in 2022. Otherwise they're a team without a QB heading into 2022 FA when they are looking to spend. This year? BFD they can't afford anybody anyway. 

May as well trade Watson now, plus put out unofficial feelers to see what they can get for Watt (I think his 2020 season was underrated because of the sack numbers. He still created a lot of pressure, and may very well have had another 5-8 sacks if they didn't have the worst pass coverage in the history of pass coverage). 

Off like a band-aid, and the rebuild starts this year with a new QB not with a hole at the position next year after Watson sits out most or all of the season, while he and every sports media outlet humiliates them mercilessly in the process.

If they can't make nice with him, he's getting traded this year. I'm still amazed this is happening (wherever he ends up). 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Can you name those, please?  And especially if there were any QB's on that list?  I'd be very interested to see.

Kobe Bryant. Dan Marino. Just 2 at the top of my head. 

Brady toyed with asking for a trade. Never did. Ended up signing an agreement with a clause eliminating the ability to have him franchise tagged. Now he's playing in the Super Bowl for Tampa Bay. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  It all sounds great in theory to "stay principled" and wait this out with Watson for months and months.  But it doesn't happen for exactly this reason. 

You don't f**k around with your QB, because something resembling a mutiny from the team and a PR nightmare coming from the fans and media will happen.  And it will be unlike any team has ever seen, given that a QB as young and elite as Watson has never demanded a trade like this. 

Hell, the league might even end up demanding that McNair sells the team by the time the dust settles on this thing.

It seems like a lot of the Texans moves over the past week have been an attempt to relay that Caserio is in! charge! and that Easterby is a minor player. The longer the Watson thing goes on, the more exposure the Easterby story will get, and the worse off the franchise will be. From the team’s perspective, they really can’t let one player push them around like this, especially with a new GM and HC. They just have to take the handful of draft picks and start over unless they all want to get dragged for the next six months,

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jay Cutler was 25 when he requested a trade and got moved from the Broncos to the Bears.

He was also coming off a Pro Bowl appearance in 2008, so regardless of how his career played out, he was considered a franchise QB at the time.

Respectfully, nobody thought Cutler was nearly as good and it was all downhill from there.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, football guy said:

Kobe Bryant. Dan Marino. Just 2 at the top of my head. 

Brady toyed with asking for a trade. Never did. Ended up signing an agreement with a clause eliminating the ability to have him franchise tagged. Now he's playing in the Super Bowl for Tampa Bay. 

Didn't know about Marino.  Interesting. 

Any others?  I was able to find 16 players of significance, including 6 QB's, who demanded trades and got them the other day.  And you said we couldn't use NBA players the last time we discussed this.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I'd offer the Texans our 2021 #23, a 2021 3rd round pick, our 2021 Seattle #1 pick, our own 2022 #1 and #3 Picks and Sam Darnold (QB).

Then I'd do everything possible to trade down out of #2 in 2021 to acquire a mid-1st in 2021 and a 1st in 2022. 

That's my plan as of today.

So:

Jets Offer:
2021 1st Round Pick #23
2021 3rd Round Pick
2022 1st Round Pick (Seattle)
2023 1st Round Pick
2023 3rd Round Pick
Sam Darnold (QB)
 

Texans Offer:
Deshaun Watson (QB)

Huh....that is almost identical to my suggestion for about the last week....Everyone called me crazy.  The only difference was #2 instead of #3 this year, and no third round pick in 2023

MORAL OF THE STORY: People like Warfish more.  

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, football guy said:

Kobe Bryant. Dan Marino. Just 2 at the top of my head. 

Brady toyed with asking for a trade. Never did. Ended up signing an agreement with a clause eliminating the ability to have him franchise tagged. Now he's playing in the Super Bowl for Tampa Bay. 

So you think Watson won’t get traded?

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Nah, Nets have a good chance of winning a championship in the next 2-3 years. This year, only the Lakers stand in their way. 

They need 2 outa 3 for that trade to be worth it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I see you negrepped me too Pac, and I'm honestly confused as to why.

This is a better trade for us than the oft rumoured 2021 #2, 2022 Seattle #1, 2023 #1.

By retaining #2 in 2021, we can make up much of what we're giving away to get Watson.  If the cost is a few 3rd's and Sam to still have a 2021 #1 and 2x 2022 #1's, I'm hard pressed to see the problem.

If it's just "Texans will never accept it", ok, fine, but my answer to Boozer stands.  You have to negotiate, you don't just hand the Texans whatever they ask for.  No matter how much we want Watson (and I very much do).

 

That tactic might work if you're the only one that's negotiating with them but I'd expect 10-20 teams to call them with offers.  All it takes is one very serious offer from another team for the Texans to move on with them and never give the Jets a 2nd thought.  The Jets have to open up with the #2 pick, everything else can be a negotiation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Maybe.  But I am not sure how that would work for the Texans under the cap.  They are already over the cap, and trading Watson will accelerate his sgining bonus, increasing their cap crunch.  I think they are more likely to look to rebuild with a rookie QB than adding another big cap hit for a 33-year old QB.

Cap hit from dealing Watson is only 5.66M. Stafford's contract is exceptionally reasonable for any acquiring team (cap hits of ~20M the next 2 years)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

He's been adamant that he won't.  He thinks either the new HC will smooth things over OR the Texans will let him rot until next season.

Lmao Watson is gone. No way he’s back with Houston 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, football guy said:

See above. Plus, they would rather sacrifice the #2 pick and hold out hope that they can repair the relationship with Deshaun rather than make an impulsive decision with a timeline on it. Imagine trading him on the premise that you get #2 and #2 is a bust... the franchise is destroyed for 10 years. 

His beef is with the owner, I don't think Cal McNair is selling the team anytime soon. 

They have a huge task on their hands. I'm sure Culley is great and can bring a great culture but that's a tough situation to deal with right off the bat when your star QB wants out and then probably JJ Watt is right there with him. 

Isn't next years QB class supposed to be a down year and a lot weaker then this one? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rhg1084 said:

Lmao Watson is gone. No way he’s back with Houston 

Fully agreed.  But football guy has front office connections so his opinion rightfully carries weight in this discussion.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

All of this, yes.

Plus there's something else a little more nuanced: they're not going to be a good team this year. They have limited cap room, and gave up their #3 overall pick for the privilege of extending Laremy Tunsil at $22MM/year (lol). So it's in their interest to get the next QB in this year, and let him show that he's a good QB (their WR corps isn't barren), so there'll be more FA interest when their purse strings loosen up in 2022. Otherwise they're a team without a QB heading into 2022 FA when they are looking to spend. This year? BFD they can't afford anybody anyway. 

May as well trade Watson now, plus put out unofficial feelers to see what they can get for Watt (I think his 2020 season was underrated because of the sack numbers. He still created a lot of pressure, and may very well have had another 5-8 sacks if they didn't have the worst pass coverage in the history of pass coverage). 

Off like a band-aid, and the rebuild starts this year with a new QB not with a hole at the position next year after Watson sits out most or all of the season, while he and every sports media outlet humiliates them mercilessly in the process.

If they can't make nice with him, he's getting traded this year. I'm still amazed this is happening (wherever he ends up). 

This will probably be the move by the Saints as well.  IF Brees plays another year, I bet he does it somewhere else.  They are $95 million over the cap WITH major players as F/A.  Best to burn it to the ground for a year, build draft capital, and away you go.  I have no doubt this might be a trend.  Spend for a few years, go for a trophy, and if your window closes, you give up a year to cut everyone and go for the #1 pick.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Cap hit from dealing Watson is only 5.66M. Stafford's contract is exceptionally reasonable for any acquiring team (cap hits of ~20M the next 2 years)

Houston is currently $18M over the cap.  They need picks and cap relief.  I think they'd much rather take whatever picks the Lions get from trading Stafford elsewhere than Stafford himself.  

Just depends on whether Watson would waive the no-trade clause to go there.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Didn't know about Marino.  Interesting. 

Any others?  I was able to find 16 players of significance, including 6 QB's, who demanded trades and got them the other day.  And you said we couldn't use NBA players the last time we discussed this.

I'm not sure Marino is particularly relevant.  World has changed.  A lot.  Social media and the amount of money involved makes it all very different than it was 30+ years ago.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't feel comfortable being placed in the same position similar to the team Watson is coming from. That's a team with a lack of draft capital. Texans just gave up the 3rd overall pick with this guy being healthy going all-in. I could see the same thing materializing here in NY. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Aint happening.  He can play for the Texans or sit out. What leverage does Houston have?  What leverage did Douglas have to get 2 first rounders plus?  Douglas is not giving up a ridiculous haul and the New Texans GM is not making this his first move.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, football guy said:

They are hoping Culley can repair the locker-room and build a new culture over the next 2 years

Culley: Deshaun, I know you’re upset, but listen to what I have planned for you.

 

Watson: Alright, I’m listening.


Culley: Two words. Freeze. Option.

 

Watson: <ups offer to buy Carmelo Anthony’s Westchester mansion by $9 million>

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I don't feel comfortable being placed in the same position similar to the team Watson is coming from. That's a team with a lack of draft capital. Texans just gave up the 3rd overall pick with this guy being healthy going all-in. I could see the same thing materializing here in NY. 

The Texans are run by morons.  That isn't really the case anymore here, amazingly.  And we'd still have plenty of draft capital even after trading for Watson.  Thanks, Jamal!

Also, the Texans are currently $18M over the cap.  The Jets have the 2nd most cap space.  Watson being here would bring some quality free agents along for the ride.  Especially at WR (Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin, Kenny Golladay or Corey Davis).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

 

IF Watson truly wants to come to the Jets, Joe Douglas has all the leverage. 

No need to rush.  No need to negotiate against himself.

This is the Texans problem, not ours. 

Let them sell low. 

Give them the #2 pick and Darnold.

That's it. Take it or leave it.

 

I wouldn't  even offer Darnold. #2 overall and a 3rd round next year upgradable to a 2nd if the Jets finish above 500. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...