DESHAUN OFFICIALLY REQUESTS TRADE BABY

T0mShane

50 minutes ago, football guy said:

You're putting words in my mouth. Go back and read what I said. It means that the Texans have no interest in trading him and will do everything in their power to repair the relationship and get him to stay. I always acknowledged he'd likely remain disgruntled. I didn't expect an official trade request, but it's come to light that he requested the trade weeks ago and reinforced his desire to be traded, confirming his whole "insensitivity to social injustice" was a farce. He wants to abandon the sinking ship. Now he's going to look like a diva for it but it's clear they don't care... he and his reps want to move. 

That being said, the Texans won't trade him. They will try to meet with him and this will likely drag all the way through training camp. If he starts holding out it will become real. 

I don't agree. The Texans best chance of getting max compensation for him is this year.  The two teams that have the necessary picks and the available cap space to take on his contract are the Jets and Dolphins.  The available cap space will end after FA and the opportunity to get a top 2 or 3 pick in the draft will also end after the this draft.  In my opinion if they're going to move him it'll have to be prior to FA to get max value for him.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's been adamant that he won't.  He thinks either the new HC will smooth things over OR the Texans will let him rot until next season.

I mean, if football guy is relating real-time information, that would of course be the Texans position on the matter. You always start with “nope, sorry, he’ll be a [Team X] for life.”

• Upvote 2

Watson can make this easy  for Houston, if he wants to, and say "these are the three teams I am willing to go to, let me know when you think you have a potential deal in place"   

Of course only giving three options is not ideal for Houston.

16 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

It's hard to imagine Watson wearing anything but a Jets uniform next season. He wants to come here, we need a QB, and he perfect for the NY spotlight/marketing/etc. Watson is literally a perfect fit for the NY Jets

He is that's why I'm doing the George Costanza. He's going to Miami. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

OK, now i'm willing to concede this is a real thing. I had hoped for everyone's sanity that a coaching hire would help reset the drama... Texans went ahead and hired a "who?..." for a head coach though, and now it feels legit.

Still think HOU is more likely to pull a CIN (with Palmer) and just wait it out a year, unless some team offers a kingdom of picks.. which i don't think Joe will do. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

IF Watson truly wants to come to the Jets, Joe Douglas has all the leverage. 

No need to rush.  No need to negotiate against himself.

This is the Texans problem, not ours. 

Let them sell low. 

Give them the #2 pick and Darnold.

That's it. Take it or leave it.

While your sentiment is correct, that deal won't happen. Douglas can play hardball if Watson has a one team list, however if he has more than one allowable destination, some leverage is then lost. 

17 minutes ago, JetsRevival said:

That tactic might work if you're the only one that's negotiating with them but I'd expect 10-20 teams to call them with offers.  All it takes is one very serious offer from another team for the Texans to move on with them and never give the Jets a 2nd thought.  The Jets have to open up with the #2 pick, everything else can be a negotiation.

I'll be honest, I don't think it's going to be anything close to 10-20 teams.  I'm sure it'll be reported in the hyperventaliating media that way, but I don't but it.  I don't think it'll be more then 3-4 legit interest offers.  The amount of capital required is simply beyond most teams to provide, limiting the pool of real-world suitors.

And yes, if one of those 3-4 teams strolls in and blows the Texans away with an offer superior to my proposed "first offer", the Texans might just accept it.  But more likely, they'd flog that offer to the other 2-3 suitors to see if any would like to bid higher.  I'm not worried about missing a chance to "match" some other teams offer.  I'm far more worried about overpaying a la some historic trades of "all the picks" for one player.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Houston is not trading Watson to a spot where they'd have to face him 2x a year.

Why would Watson ever want to go to small market, crap town like jacksonville?.. he wants to build his brand, about the last place he would want to... 

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

OK, now i'm willing to concede this is a real thing. I had hoped for everyone's sanity that a coaching hire would help reset the drama... Texans a "who?..." for a head coach though, and now it feels legit.

Still think HOU is more likely to pull a CIN (with Palmer) and just wait it out a year, unless some team offers a kingdom of picks.. which i don't think Joe will do. 

Joes gonna put out an offer . He's not stupid though, it's gonna be a damn good offer & I think the carrot not in the original offer is Sam Darnold. 

Sam will be going into his 4th year, and hold the fort or surprise everyone & play pretty well while their QB that take this year sits for 1 year. While most Jet fans want to hang Sam in effigy, the guy is still a kid & younger than all of the youngest QBs in the league. 

1 minute ago, riggy001 said:

Why would Watson ever want to go to small market, crap town like jacksonville?.. he wants to build his brand, about the last place he would want to... 

What if part of Watson’s brand is crystal meth and catching that flesh-eating microbe from red algae pollution?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, JetsRevival said:

So are the Jets

Except we're not. 

We have numerous options, all generally acceptable to a normal NFL GM:

1. Draft a QB at #2
2. Retain our existing #3 pick QB and see if he can be saved by the new Staff & all our many many picks and salary cap FA options.
3. Trade down, get a boatload of picks, and Draft a 2nd Tier QB like Mac Jones or the like.
4. Trade for a cheaper veteran QB like Stafford at much reduced cost.

We have almost every option available to us. Fans may have varying feelings on these options, but that means very little to our GM frankly.  He/We are in no way "desperate" to trade for Watson, much as many of us would like to see it happen (at the right price).

We're not beggars at all.  We are in the driver's seat this offseason, and should keep that in mind.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

It's hard to imagine Watson wearing anything but a Jets uniform next season. He wants to come here, we need a QB, and he perfect for the NY spotlight/marketing/etc. Watson is literally a perfect fit for the NY Jets

The threat is if someone offers Houston a legit starting quarterback in a town where Deshaun wants to live.

San Francisco (Garoppolo), Detroit (Stafford), Tennessee (Tannehill), and Atlanta (Ryan) come to mind.

SAR I

Look into it Joe Douglas

Assess the asking price Joe Douglas

He is their problem right now Joe Douglas

Do not get into a bidding war Joe Douglas

Do not have the 'get it done!' mentality  Joe Douglas

Make a take it or leave it offer and get back to planning for next season.

• Upvote 3

Just now, ScouserJet said:

What do you guys value #2 pick as?

genuinely curious.

I’m trying to get on board with not trading three 1sts.

That's a good question.  The #2 this year has the potential for a franchise QB.  That increases the value significantly and allows u to not have to offer as many #1's as other teams will have to do with the exception of Miami.  We have to hope that Houston fails in love with Wilson or Fields and need #2 over #3.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warfish said:

We're not beggars at all.  We are in the driver's seat this offseason, and should keep that in mind.  

This.

The #2 pick is a franchise quarterback for the next 3 years minimum and offers a rookie contract and a cap reset.

If a team like the Colts or Falcons wanted the #2 pick, the price would be 3 first rounders.  So Watson for the #2 and 1 first round pick should suffice.  We are in control here, not the Texans.  

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Jets, Dolphins or Texans.  Anything else is a long shot -- maybe even the Texans, but I still think they will do everything they can to keep him.  

Doubt it. Bad blood. He’s unhappy ☹️ and that’s just bad PR. And they’re broke AF and have no picks.  They need to dump salaries and trade assets and rebuild. 

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

This.

The #2 pick is a franchise quarterback for the next 3 years minimum and offers a rookie contract and a cap reset.

If a team like the Colts or Falcons wanted the #2 pick, the price would be 3 first rounders.  So Watson for the #2 and 1 first round pick should suffice.  We are in control here, not the Texans.  

SAR I

I fully agree but sometimes optics gets in the way.

The headline would read "HOU trades Watson for two 1st round pick" which would ignite a firestorm of how stupid they are.  The value of the pick will get lost in the initial narrative.  It will probably settle down after a day or two, but that requires cool heads in their front office to see through the short-term fire.  Instead they have a pastor influencing the decision.  Brilliant! 

5 minutes ago, ScouserJet said:

What do you guys value #2 pick as?

genuinely curious.

I’m trying to get on board with not trading three 1sts.

I think there's a small chance the # 2 pick would be enough to get a deal done.  Much more likely, I think we're talking # 2 plus another high pick or 2.  

I don't think three 1st rounders will be absolutely necessary if the # 2 pick is one of those 1sts.  That said, if it IS necessary, I'm still 100 % on board with it.  We'd have Watson plus two 1st rounders somewhere over the next 3 years.  We'd also get a pick(s) back by trading Darnold.  That's plenty of draft capital (not to mention our FA dollars) to build around Watson.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fully agreed.  But football guy has front office connections so his opinion rightfully carries weight in this discussion.

Connections with the Texans FO?  I can't imagine any member of the Jets FO has any clue what the Texans plans are going forward besides the possibility that they could trade him or keep him.  The biggest indication that the Texans plan to trade him is the hire of Culley.  65 year old man that has never been on the radar for a HC job and he suddenly gets the job. To me the reason he got it is b/c they let the finalists know that they were more than likely moving on from Watson and nobody else would touch that job.  Culley will be fired in 2 years, he's set up to fail but he's waited his whole life for this opportunity and I wouldn't have expected him to turn it down.

This.
SAR I

Agree and I would start with number 2 pick only. Because watson is applying his leverage via notrade clause and it is in his interest to keep his destination team as strong as possible.
  • Upvote 1