Watson: Uphill battle getting him

Be_a_Jet

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

No one thinks the Jets would take Fields because he is not thought to be a fit with the WC offense.  

If the Texans or Miami don't think the Jets would take Fields, the value of the pick is reduced.  

The Jets could trade the #2 pick to a team that selects Fields.  So if the Texans want Fields, they may want to secure the #2 from the Jets rather than wait to see what happens at #3. 

2 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

The Jets could trade the #2 pick to a team that selects Fields.  So if the Texans want Fields, they may want to secure the #2 from the Jets rather than wait to see what happens at #3. 

Precisely. Houston coming away with the second choice of QB in the draft can't be an acceptable outcome.

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

No one thinks the Jets would take Fields because he is not thought to be a fit with the WC offense.  

If the Texans or Miami don't think the Jets would take Fields, the value of the pick is reduced.  

Jets can trade out of 2 also. While I think it’s highly  unlikely that window is certainly there. 
if there’s a QB you like you don’t mess around. 

8 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Precisely. Houston coming away with the second choice of QB in the draft can't be an acceptable outcome.

That really does depend on what else you get.  
all things being equal 2 is better than 3 but an extra 1 can make that difference. Likely would. 
depends really on how that rate the QB’s. 

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

If your're Houston, the only way you can justify trading him is getting the #2 pick and your choice of QB after lawrence. If they trade for the #3 pick and end up with the second choice, it's a disaster

I don't think Houston would even take a QB if they traded with us. I think they'd trade down, acquire another haul of picks, and use the capital to rebuild the infrastructure of the roster... then they'd worry about acquiring a QB

Again..... Watson will not be a Jet. JD did a lot of maneuvering to set up all this draft capital.. I’m fairly certain it wasn’t to throw  it all in on a trade for one player. 

Im quite sure he WILL look into it- but will NOT give up three 1’s and another pick for him.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

This might play our way.  MIA could be perceived to have screwed HOU over with the Tunsil trade.

The optics of trading Watson just to get back the picks they used to get Tunsil?  Effectively trading Watson for Tunsil and a few beans?  Bad.  And you know that will be the narrative for weeks after any trade to MIA for the #3. 

That is a WICKED great point! Trade Watson for the pick you got robbed on by Miami? Very bad optics! 

FWIW: if Deshaun Watson gets traded, one of my sources (god I hate saying it so badly) says she'd expect it to be the Carolina Panthers. 

Reason: they would go above and beyond for a QB, and being in the NFC gives them a significant advantage. She wouldn't be surprised if they offered 3 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks. She spent 3 years working there so she knows a lot of people in that building, so I don't think this is just a guess. 

Also unrelated: JuJu may be returning to Pittsburgh after all according to this person

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

FWIW: if Deshaun Watson gets traded, one of my sources (god I hate saying it so badly) says she'd expect it to be the Carolina Panthers. 

Reason: they would go above and beyond for a QB, and being in the NFC gives them a significant advantage. She wouldn't be surprised if they offered 3 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks. She spent 3 years working there so she knows a lot of people in that building, so I don't think this is just a guess. 

Also unrelated: JuJu may be returning to Pittsburgh after all according to this person

Wait, now its an IF situation?  

1 minute ago, football guy said:

That division is up for grabs going forward. The Bucs have one more year with Brady. Ryan and Julio are aging; the Falcons look to be in decline. The Saints are rebooting at quarterback and in cap hell.

It makes a lot of sense for everyone involved. 

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Disagree with points A & C.

Caserio shoudl be making decisions strictly based on what is best for the Texans.  He should not be worried about what Belichick would think.  And it should not be his goal to screw Watson.  If the Jets make the best offer, the one that is expected to improve the Texans the most, that is where he should go,  

I agree with your point on the NFC, but I don't see any NFC teams with the draft capital to compete with us or Miami.

I don't disagree with you but Bill Belichick turned down 1st round picks for Jimmy G and instead took a 2nd round pick from a family friend.

23 minutes ago, football guy said:

That's a doozy of a deal. 

Watson to Robby??! 

22 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

That division is up for grabs going forward. The Bucs have one more year with Brady. Ryan and Julio are aging; the Falcons look to be in decline. The Saints are rebooting at quarterback and in cap hell.

It makes a lot of sense for everyone involved. 

That's what we're literally talking about right now. They have a strong roster but need work on the OL Otherwise they're probably a contender as soon as next year with an upgrade at QB. 

They're also the team who is likely to trade up to #2 when its all said and done, assuming the slim chance of Deshaun getting traded doesn't happen

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

This might play our way.  MIA could be perceived to have screwed HOU over with the Tunsil trade.

The optics of trading Watson just to get back the picks they used to get Tunsil?  Effectively trading Watson for Tunsil and a few beans?  Bad.  And you know that will be the narrative for weeks after any trade to MIA for the #3. 

it would funny if a team has to give up a top QB to get their pick back.

35 minutes ago, football guy said:

Way too much for me. Rather see the Jets stick to their plan,

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

it would funny if a team has to give up a top QB to get their pick back.

Pretty sure if Deshaun were traded (again, I don't believe he will be), Tunsil would follow. They'd probably have to settle for 2 2nd round picks but they would absolutely, positively blow it up. Watt (probably already getting traded), Tunsil, Cobb, Cunningham, Roby... anyone with value. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

Pretty sure if Deshaun were traded (again, I don't believe he will be), Tunsil would follow. They'd probably have to settle for 2 2nd round picks but they would absolutely, positively blow it up. Watt (probably already getting traded), Tunsil, Cobb, Cunningham, Roby... anyone with value. 

I see it the same way...they hired the new coach for a rebuild, not long term. Dump the roster and get back under the cap, similar to the fins last year.

Don't see the fins or jets trading away draft picks this year with both trying to rebuild. 

Let me boil it down for everyone.  What do the Jets really think of Darnold, then the 2 Qb's after Lawrence?

If they are high on any one of the three, then that is the way they will go.

If they are not high on the three, then offer the #2 pick, Darnold, and the 2 Seattle picks.  From what I see in Joe Douglas, he is not going to give up on next years first round pick for the Jets, unless we keep both Seattle 1st round picks.  if that's not good enough for Houston, then go somewhere else.