Watson: Uphill battle getting him

Be_a_Jet

3 hours ago, football guy said:

FWIW: if Deshaun Watson gets traded, one of my sources (god I hate saying it so badly) says she'd expect it to be the Carolina Panthers. 

Reason: they would go above and beyond for a QB, and being in the NFC gives them a significant advantage. She wouldn't be surprised if they offered 3 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks. She spent 3 years working there so she knows a lot of people in that building, so I don't think this is just a guess. 

Then the question would become: would Watson agree to play for Carolina? 

2 hours ago, Ben Had said:

I see it the same way...they hired the new coach for a rebuild, not long term. Dump the roster and get back under the cap, similar to the fins last year.

Don't see the fins or jets trading away draft picks this year with both trying to rebuild. 

Their new coach is so old, he'll be dead before the rebuild is done.

7 minutes ago, MykePM said:

Then the question would become: would Watson agree to play for Carolina? 

“I had somebody influential in the league text me and say the team I’ve heard is the Carolina Panthers. They are a deep sleeper for Deshaun Watson,” McIntyre said. “Apparently, he is telling some folks he would not mind going home. He grew up in Atlanta, about four hours from Carolina. Matt Rhule has set up a pretty good foundation there in Carolina. They have a lot of good offensive weapons.”

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Their new coach is so old, he'll be dead before the rebuild is done.

That's my point! 

He's brought in for the tank. Think about it...first to fire last to hire. 

I also think the owner will let DW rot if he doesn't agree with who they want to trade with. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, football guy said:

Absolutely. I would argue they're one of the most attractive jobs out there

5 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

“I had somebody influential in the league text me and say the team I’ve heard is the Carolina Panthers. They are a deep sleeper for Deshaun Watson,” McIntyre said. “Apparently, he is telling some folks he would not mind going home. He grew up in Atlanta, about four hours from Carolina. Matt Rhule has set up a pretty good foundation there in Carolina. They have a lot of good offensive weapons.”

Thanks, guys.  The more I think about it, the more I think that Carolina may be the front runner, if the Texans give in and trade Watson.  Rumors are that Carolina will make a strong push, and if Houston is trying to change their culture, or at least the perception of it, Teddy Bridgewater is pretty much universally respected as a high character guy.  He’d be a great hold-the-fort QB for the Texans, as a throw-in with the ton of draft picks that they’d receive, until they build the team up for whatever young QB they draft (now or later). Plus, as @football guy has mentioned, it would get Watson out of the AFC.

I don’t think Watson is dead set on any one team.  He’d gladly go to several places including NY and Miami.  The key is do the Texans really covet that #2 overall pick to take a QB or will they try to fill the QB position elsewhere?  If they really want Wilson they will try to send him to NY and he’d waive the clause in all likelihood.