Todd McShay: Deshaun Watson only 'slightly better' than Sam Darnold

Bronx

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm not saying one is right or one is wrong, but it really is fascinating to me the schism between how Darnold is viewed here and how Darnold is viewed by NFL talking heads.

Even if they believe Darnold can improve and has potential, for McShay to say Watson is only "slightly" better than Darnold completely makes him lose his credibility.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Even if they believe Darnold can improve and has potential, for McShay to say Watson is only "slightly" better than Darnold completely makes him lose his credibility.

I think(assume) he's talking about tools.  From a physical stand point, they probably are very similar.  Unfortunately that's only part of the battle.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think(assume) he's talking about tools.  From a physical stand point, they probably are very similar.  Unfortunately that's only part of the battle.

So if the rationale is tools then we should be selecting Trey Lace at 2. He outclasses all available options athletically 

3 hours ago, Wit said:

McShay is close with JD. He may be doing him a solid because he wants no part of DW.

I don’t know that Joe D. wants no part of Watson.  The price may just be too rich for his blood.  I think you’re right though that McShay is trying to support his friend by telling a good cover story in case Watson ends up elsewhere and JD keeps Darnold.

I remember a quarterback drafted in the first round in 1970 that played on a lousy roster, got hurt all the time, threw tons of interceptions, below 40% completion, made fun of by the fans and was considered a flop by the press.Then the team loaded up with draft picks and started to put talent around this quarterback and they started getting to the playoffs and winning Super Bowls. Terry Bradshaw started out a flop, and retired a legend of the game. I still hold out hope.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm not saying one is right or one is wrong, but it really is fascinating to me the schism between how Darnold is viewed here and how Darnold is viewed by NFL talking heads.

I think the problem here, is that the draft analysts rely too much on their scouting reports when they were coming out of college and not enough on what they do in the pros.  Mcshay (and other draft analysts) are not viewing him as an nfl team employee.

FWIW the only people who still have this level of support for Darnold are people who said he was the best prospect since Luck.  To be so embarrassingly wrong in something you're supposed to be an "expert" in has to be shameful that your best option is double down on your take, blame the Jets and ignore the fact the kid is a total bozo who absolutely sucks. 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

FWIW the only people who still have this level of support for Darnold are people who said he was the best prospect since Luck.  To be so embarrassingly wrong in something you're support to be an "expert" in has to be shameful that your best option is double down on your take, blame the Jets and ignore the fact the kid is a total bozo who absolutely sucks. 

Exactly.   We live in a time when folks can't admit a mistake.  

As the third pick in the draft, Darnold was a colossal mistake.  His play the last three years proves it.  To continue on this path just exacerbates the error and keeps the team from moving forward.  Releasing/trading Darnold will be cathartic for the organization.

Yeah, I think the rest of the NFL understands just how bad Mac and Gase were.

He had real promise his rookie year, particularly the second half of the season - he really did start to look like FQB in the making.  Certainly wasn't yet but the signs were there.

Gase takes over and Mac drafts DT's...

I've seen enough to Darnold to think he can't be fixed but I can understand others that didn't watch him every week come to the conclusion that he can still be very good.

While most jet fans on this board agree that Darnold is nowhere near Watson, there have been very good points about the TEAM around him, and the similarity to one Terry Bradshaw... Watson as good as he is, still only went 4-12 with Houston, and would only do the same on this team the way it is constructed at the moment. Giving away 2 1st's this year and 1 next year, on top of what else Houston would most likely want is not building our team the way it should be. So while some people are good waiting, isn't that what we've been doing for 50 years now?

• Upvote 1