Darron Lee back?

ECURB

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Truth is, as much as he was a horrible draft pick, at this point he’s a 26-27 yr old FA who can be had for the league minimum. And not for nothing, but it isn’t as though this team is flush with LBers. I’m not seeing a downside.

What’s the risk really? Wasting an offseason roster spot when we’re allowed to carry almost a hundred guys? He’s not getting a signing bonus, and yes if he sucks then he doesn’t even make the roster. If he does he’s a still-young, cheap, fast special teams player with 3 prior seasons of full time starting experience.

He’s got a much better chance of contributing than most or all of the cannon fodder UDFAs they’re going to invite. A team also needs cannon fodder to trot out in preseason games. Gase’s rush to get a throwaway pick for him wasn’t even worth having to trot Williamson out there in a preseason game & then lose him for the season. It was very shortsighted thinking, to say the least. At least keep him into the summer to see if anyone lost a starting MLB and get more than a future 6th round throwaway pick from the SB frontrunner (trade value of a late 7th in the current year’s draft). Gase idiotically sold at rock bottom, as though they were desperate for a preseason roster spot or a future pick around #200.

Jokes aside - and I’ve made many and will surely make more lol - he’s not totally devoid of talent, is surely motivated to restart his career if it’s at all possible, has multiple years experience both starting and on specials, and wants that to play for the Jets. Fine by me. 

right.  i remember when you said gase shipped him off for what amounts to a throwaway pick.  it was the wrong deal to do then.  and who knows, sometimes it takes time for players to really develop.  look at demario davis.  he was good with the jets but now he's really good with the saints.  i'd give lee a chance.  there's no real downside.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

right.  i remember when you said gase shipped him off for what amounts to a throwaway pick.  it was the wrong deal to do then.  and who knows, sometimes it takes time for players to really develop.  look at demario davis.  he was good with the jets but now he's really good with the saints.  i'd give lee a chance.  there's no real downside.

Actually, Demario Davis was really good for the Jets.  When the Jets first drafted Davis, he was good. Then the Jets let him go to another team.  Then Davis came back to the Jets for a second stint.  During this second stint, Davis was very good.  Then the Jets let him go to the Saints, which was dumb. Which is one of the many reasons why the Jets have sucked for a long time now.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Butterfield said:

Anyone who thinks he is small needs to look at the size of SF and Atlantas linebackers.  They are all his size or smaller.  

Lee’s inability to cover TEs and softness were bigger problems than his size.  He’s also a dirtbag

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Actually, Demario Davis was really good for the Jets.  When the Jets first drafted Davis, he was good. Then the Jets let him go to another team.  Then Davis came back to the Jets for a second stint.  During this second stint, Davis was very good.  Then the Jets let him go to the Saints, which was dumb. Which is one of the many reasons why the Jets have sucked for a long time now.

yes, davis was good as a rookie and all and then tested the free agency waters.  but he also got much better.  he was much better during his second stint with the jets.  they probably should have made more of an effort to sign him.  who knows, maybe they wouldn't have gone after mosely if they did.

There's NO way this could possibly be true. If it were, Joe Douglas would instantly make himself into the very same incompetent wack job as Mike Macagnan was. Darron Lee was so beyond BAD, it's impossible to see him be a decent player in ANY defense?

Now, I suppose there's an outside possibility if Lee were willing to play Safety? Then, some team might be willing t give him a shot. But even then that's very remote.

Bottom line with Darron Lee was I KNEW the very second he was drafted that he was a bust and so we're many others.

It was one of those A-HA moments where the FANS knew how to be a better GM than our own GM. It truly brought that reality around full circle. That IMO, was when the fans knew our GM was so totally bumbling and incompetent. Now, of course the fans really didn't mention it much because they were hoping beyond hope that somehow their first thoughts would be wrong....

I knew at that very moment that I could pick a Jetnation poster, with no GM experience whatsoever, to come in and do a BETTER job at picking players than Mike Macagnan.

• Post of the Week 1

On 1/28/2021 at 10:01 PM, GreenFish said:

Well we built our coaching staff to win all out brawls. We’re going to need someone who stands low enough to the ground to bang some knee caps.

And beat the snot out of the women that want to fight....

22 hours ago, rangerous said:

yes, davis was good as a rookie and all and then tested the free agency waters.  but he also got much better.  he was much better during his second stint with the jets.  they probably should have made more of an effort to sign him.  who knows, maybe they wouldn't have gone after mosely if they did.

The Jets would not have gone after Mosely if we kept Davis.  Think about all the additional money we would have to spend right now if that were the case!

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Alka said:

He wasn’t. He was league average... maybe and he was injury prone. So average that he signed a 2 year, $8million contract with the Browns that they regretted and traded him to us for Calvin Pryor. He was really good when he came back but we signed the younger Avery Williamson instead which really wasn’t a terrible move, I’m ambivalent towards that in general. 

What I’m not ambivalent towards is the amount resources devoted to our off ball linebackers in the years under Maccagnan. (In no particular order)

-3 year $21 million to an old David Harris that included 2 years fully guaranteed (cut before his last year)

- 1st round pick spent on Darron Lee

- Trade for Demario Davis, failing to resign the cheap cost Demario Davis

- Signing Avery Williamson for over $7 million a year for 3 years(1 year of production) 

- Signing CJ Mosley to an albatross $19 million a year contract (1 game of production over 2 years so far)

All of that just for the team to have to rebuild its linebacker core this year and mostly having to be saved by Neville Friggin Hewitt for the passed 2 years.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kelly said:

..except jane can cover  TE's   ?

When Lee was drafted his specialty was supposed to be falling back into coverage 

and then in games we saw he was slow, had no length, took bad angles etc you name it.  Just a miserable player to watch

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

When Lee was drafted his specialty was supposed to be falling back into coverage 

and then in games we saw he was slow, had no length, took bad angles etc you name it.  Just a miserable player to watch

true. he is  " Limited ",.. VERY LIMITED in what he can do. he is NOT  limited when it comes to  " running his mouth "   ?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I didn’t know he played for the Bills this past season. He finished 2020 on their PS but was activated for two games with them. 

..some folks in buffalo said Lee reminded them of Aaron Maybin. maybin was a 1st round pick for the bills in 2009. they cut him & we signed him back in 2011. i think some folks called him  " maybe mabin ". he is no longer in the nfl. 

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer: 

41 minutes ago, Lith said:

Well.  31 ST snaps and 0 defensive snaps on the season was easy to miss.

..suffice it to say,.. if he makes our roster coming out of tc - we STILL have some upgrading to do to OUR roster   ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

LOL

Are you still grasping at straws? Years after all the Lee critics were proven correct? After the embarrassment that was Darron Lee had come full circle. When the Jets 2016 #20 overall 1st round draft choice was so BAD that Bowles and the CS had Lee playing special teams in a preseason game against the Redskins? The game where he was assessed a 15 yard horse collar penalty? 

Whether you care to admit it or not, there were MANY that knew Lee was a pathetic loser BUST right after the pick was made. Oh, and the girlfriend beating? Well, that was just icing on the embarrassment cake....

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Are you still grasping at straws? Years after all the Lee critics were proven correct? After the embarrassment that was Darron Lee had come full circle. When the Jets 2016 #20 overall 1st round draft choice was so BAD that Bowles and the CS had Lee playing special teams in a preseason game against the Redskins? The game where he was assessed a 15 yard horse collar penalty? 

Whether you care to admit it or not, there were MANY that knew Lee was a pathetic loser BUST right after the pick was made. Oh, and the girlfriend beating? Well, that was just icing on the embarrassment cake....

You are so over the top in hating the only realistic pick for us at 19 that it makes your argument weak.  We grabbed a player that was the 20th ranked player in his draft.  He wasn’t overdrafted at 19.  And if people had a problem with him at 19, which 1st round player was sitting there that deserved that spot?  The draft sucked, there wasn’t a can’t miss player at that spot.  It happens.    

I could care less how Bowles, of all people to make personnel decisions for the Jets now, used him in one game quickly after claiming him.  

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

You are so over the top in hating the only realistic pick for us at 19 that it makes your argument weak.  We grabbed a player that was the 20th ranked player in his draft.  He wasn’t overdrafted at 19.  And if people had a problem with him at 19, which 1st round player was sitting there that deserved that spot?  The draft sucked, there wasn’t a can’t miss player at that spot.  It happens.    

I could care less how Bowles, of all people to make personnel decisions for the Jets now, used him in one game quickly after claiming him.  

I didn't day he was overdrafted. I said he was a BUST. However, it's obvious the pro scouts were bumbling doofus's as well? You're right in that he was approximately the 20th best player in the draft. 

The problem with that draft was always that there was no talent in that draft. To improve your team you had To trade up and grab one of the OL like Tunsil, Stanley, or Jack from the Browns now.  That's what every team that knew their sh*t did in that draft. That's what MAC needed to do. It was also a very BIG need for the Jets. But our GM was another bumbling fool.

He had a deal on the table to trade up 10 spots and steal Tunsil from Miami for their 1st, 2nd, and 4th. Instead, Mac was too cheap. He BADLY wanted Hackenberg and couldn't give up his 2nd because of it. Lee was simply an afterthought. I really don't think Mac even considered taking Lee prior to the draft. Instead, he took him on his bogus pro scouting report.

So he ended up with Lee, Hackenberg, and Burriss. ALL of them were complete GARBAGE picks.!

So if you're going to argue with me at least know your facts, which you clearly don't...

19 hours ago, Philc1 said:

oh !..

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2021 at 6:49 PM, kelly said:

true. he is  " Limited ",.. VERY LIMITED in what he can do. he is NOT  limited when it comes to  " running his mouth "   ?

He’s an idiot in real life.  He tried to fight a woman at a party and Leo had to save him from becoming Ray Rice part 2